Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. The Conte Guest

Well there’s an exciting half of football for you… 13 shots to 5 in our favour and we’re losing 2-0… are you entertained?

2. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

No comment could describe what I am feeling at half time.Rubbish and more rubbish .Total lack of quality and ambition.Lloris great shot stopper but a liability for everything else.

3. Big fran Guest

Watch this space

4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

I know you're not allowed to post anything negative on here else the positivity/Delusional police start crying.

So great performance we were unlucky coys

5. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Conte gone by Christmas.I don’t see a manager who was a tactical master at Chelsea and in Italy.I don’t get any vibes that he has any idea what his best team is and who are his trusted players.The past month has been dire and no amount of. Bleating from the delusional police as felon puts it will make me change my mind that we will be top 4.Being an England fan I fear for us if Dier is in the squad let alone the team.Top sides have a settled back4 we change every game. By replacing one dummy with another.what were the substitution for today because I could not see any logic apart from numbers.Conte after the match was blaming the fact that we are playing every 3 days .So are a lot more teams.The arsenal manager said last week that he would not blame too many games as this puts negative thoughts in players minds and yet Conte goes on incessantly about it.If Conte believes we are building then sign a contract to show faith but I don’t think this will happen

6. Mr Levy Guest

Well, that was a strange one. We actually played pretty well but we are clearly lacking a dominant, controlled CB and some creativity in the middle.

Dier continues to mystify me. Occasionally he puts in a decent clearance but more frequently, he is caught out of position or gives the ball away. His defending style of backing off and holding his hands behind his back is championship standard.

We then continue to struggle and both LB and RB with Sess clearly not having the quality we need on the final ball and Emerson totally unpredictable and often leaving the back 3 to fix his errors.

Finally, Lloris, his decision making is often questionable, catching vs punching and charging out vs staying. His biggest issue though, is his use of the ball. His distribution both on the floor and long more often than not either turns over possession or puts us in trouble.

If we look at the first goal, it was Diers poor positioning that led to Wilson breaking clear then Lloris terrible decision/timing that led to the ball hitting his hip and bouncing off him.

The second goal was Lloris terrible pass giving Lenglet a tough one v one but absolutely no covering the space from Dier behind him.

We need to sign a good, Lloris replacement in the summer (Oblak please), a minimal of one CB to replace Dier (and hopefully extend Lenglet by another season) and two wing backs.

Its not all doom and gloom as the performance was much better than the last few games against a decent side but if we really want to get into the top 4 again, we need to cut out the mistakes.

7. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

If mr levy thinks that was better than recent performances I have been watching the wrong matches.Did anyone else notice the only player who seemed distraught at the end of game was Bettencour which sums up the rest of the wage stealers

8. voiceofreason Active Member

Just saw the highlights. Bad loss , seems like if we had taken one of the early chances it may have been different
    Kulu, Richie, Hojbjerg, Romero all out - good players I think we miss
    Bissoumo has played as requested on here in the last 2 games, not sure he is as good or as ready as everyone seemed to think. Maybe Conte watches them in training
    Skipp off the pace

9. Mr Levy Guest

I though Bissouma did quite well. Our biggest problems were caused by our GK and back line giving the ball away under pressure in silly areas.

We did defend way too deep at times and for periods let Newcastle have way too much of the ball.

That being said, we created a lot of chances and should really have scored at least two more.

We were undone by Lloris, Dier, Emerson and Sess all defending and passing like they were playing for The Plough on a Sunday.

10. The Conte Guest

I wouldn’t read too much into this particular fixture regarding the manager or his tactics… our intent was actually good. And as another poster mentioned we were missing quite a few starters.

Nevertheless the reality is Lloris lost us this game with some very shite goalkeeping on both Newcastle goals. All goalkeepers make errors at times of course but he pretty much lost us the game versus Arsenal as well… so our captain needs to do much much better if he wants to remain at the club.

As for Dier… well what on earth is going on with him? He’s been consistently excellent these last 12 months to deservedly play himself back into the England side. But now he’s there again he decides to turn into an utter bar of soap? Again who knows what’s going on between his ears.

As for Son… well he is really starting to annoy me… certainly a very good player at times but incredibly inconsistent… incredibly streaky. That was perhaps the lamest one on one against a keeper I have seen in a very long time. And people suggest he’s world class? Needs to be benched again because it worked a charm last time.

11. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Putting my disappointment aside I am trying to put a perspective on our season so far.Points wise we are better than last year but the football is dire to watch.I suppose if we win more than we lose then the faithful will accept it.What worries me most is Contes team selection is governed by sheer stubbornness.I have not got insight into training so maybe Spence is not up to it but I saw a lot of him for Forest last year and he was outstanding.I have not seen a report anywhere that thinks Emmerson is a premiership player but Conte stubbornly sticks to him.There was an article in the press online on Sunday saying that he was the worst player ever at the club which is over the top but does sum up the feeling of the majority of spurs fans.I assume that Spence apart Conte had to agree the transfers Which he rarely uses which does not fill me with confidence about future buys.Lloris should be rested as he is a liability at the moment with his distribution.

12. The Conte Guest

Lloris’ distribution has never been top class… and that’s perfectly fine because no keeper is perfect… but that is not the issue with the second goal. Nor is it Lenglet getting skinned for pace. Lloris decided to push out on the narrow angle for no apparent reason and got beaten at the near post by an average low odds shot. Utterly shite goalkeeping to compound his ridiculous error on the first goal.

I rate Lloris highly. He’s been a top Spur and will go down as one of the top keepers of his era… but he pretty much single handedly lost us this game. It’s simply not good enough from your captain.

As for Spence? No doubt a very good athlete… but the same can be said for Sessegnon and while he is always improving he is still not the finished product.

So this is a big problem at the club because Emerson is not a wingback. As a flat fullback he is pretty good… he’s been selected for Brazil aye? But he offers nothing for us in an advanced position and I don’t think that is ever going to change. Ironically people used to always complain about Aurier… and with good reason… but he actually would be very good in our current formation.

People like yourself rave about Spence last year but his numbers are meek… how many assists for Forest in an advanced role? I trust Conte on this… we need a right wingback who can influence the final third. For the love of God play Lucas there… Conte did it with a washed up Moses… because we’re getting nothing from that side of the pitch.

13. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

What is meek about 3 goals and 6 assists for a wing back

14. Guesty Guest

we've spent season after season trying to win 'the Spurs way' and where has it got us.
    I'd take 3 points playing badly every game until we know how to win ugly.

Conte also needs to get his passion and will to win into the players heads.
    They just don't seem on it for the whole game. They should be fierce from the first whistle.

voiceofreason likes this.
  15. The Conte Guest

2 goals 4 assists in 38 games in the Championship… how does that translate to tearing it up in the Premier League?

Sessegnon hit 15 goals and 6 assists as a 17 year old with Fulham… playing wing mind you… it doesn’t translate

Not saying Spence won’t be good for us at some point… and of course would be good to see him get a game at some point… but he’s not the answer to our woes at present

16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

No mention of my query as to what Emmerson offers us and what makesConte keep picking him.He is only a right back in a four and will never have the nous to be in a 3.

17. voiceofreason Active Member

Probably no mention because highly unlikely anyone agrees that Royal is any good

Bazza47 likes this.
  18. Guesty Guest

with Emerson being soo sh1te it's beyond belief that Spence doesn't get a chance.
    He must regret joining us

Bazza47 likes this.
  19. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Don’t be fooled by a storming last 20 minutes as it covers up the other70 minutes of the same dross.One standout performer in Bettencour who was class.Dier should have have won it twice but as usual messes up.I am waiting for the people to tell me that Emmerson is a great player as he almost set up the winner..why oh why would you bring him on when you want to attack when you have Spence .I am afraid that Conte is boring the pants off me now and every first half is the same.We now have to get a point away when we have been so poor for the last 2 years.Must mention Gill who added some urgency to our play

20. voiceofreason Active Member

Haven’t seen the match yet. But I think there is a player in Gil. There isn’t one in Royal

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button