Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. voiceofreason Active Member

Yes we played bad, yes we have a few players who should be upgraded. But every team loses matches , I ignore the team that didn’t.

This is what amazes me about the pessimists here, if there had been a poll asking if we would be happy with this points total at this stage of the season, everyone would have said yes.

we are supposed to be supporters- support the club, don’t look to knock it down every single time it doesn’t go well

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We've played bad all season barring what?
    Fulham & Everton at home.

3. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Yes voice of reason all teams lose matches but not having had 28 shots against them.Why do you say don’t criticise but support when the fare served up is not entertaining .I have supported Spurs for 60 years good and bad but I do have the right to criticise the dross we are playing at the moment but it does not change my allegiance to My first love and wanting better

Felon82 likes this.
  4. The Conte Guest

Not sure there is really much to complain about right now.

We played well at the end of last season under the current manager and we’ve played well in patches this year. The season is still young… I would expect us to continue to improve.

It is also worth noting that of the 5 most difficult fixtures on our schedule we’ve already played 3.

For those expecting champagne every weekend and are furious when they don’t get it… well let’s be honest. We are good…and sometimes very good… but we’re also not the best.

Simply put… there are a lot of good players at Spurs these days but none are world class.

Lloris is still top shelf but he is nearing the end of his career. Kane is very good but there’s a gulf between him and the likes of Haaland or Lewandowski or Mbappe. Son? Never really was. Romero? Still young and too temperamental at times. Kulu? Maybe one day.

So some sense of realism is necessary. This side isn’t going to win the league. But it’s good enough for Champs League and that’s where we’re at as a club presently.

5. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

When have we been very good.You state that we have already played 3 of the best 5 .what you did not say was we were totally outplayed in all 3 and fluked a draw with Chelsea.My moan is not about results which I think are covering up a lot of shortcomings but the fact that I think we are the most boring team to watch and have taken over from Burnley as the team most people probably turn the tele off for.Please show some attacking intent not hoping for hitting on the break and please stop being the team that passes back to the goalkeeper the most in the division

6. voiceofreason Active Member

Obviously every team wants to play the best football and win. We played lovely football for a long time and didn’t win and people conplained that we shouldn’t care about the style if the results weren’t there.

Question? Would you prefer we were playing more attractive, (actually I should say different, because when we break quickly we are attractive), but that we have less points?

7. The Conte Guest

The 5 toughest fixtures every season are those games away to other sides in the so called big six. We’ve already played 3 of them. And it wouldn’t matter if we lost all 5 of them to be honest if we take care of business at home which so far we have.

That said we actually fought back well against Chelsea and the Arsenal match was killed by a goalkeeper error and a send off. The only really truly poor performance was just this week.

Despite that I wouldn’t say we’re a boring watch at all… we’ve scored some fantastic team goals under Conte… and I like that we play out from the back and along the ground.

But I would say this squad lacks flair regardless of how much urgency or lack of it might show at times.

Doesn’t mean we’re not good… because obviously we have been under Conte… he has the best win percentage of any full time Spurs league manager.

But yes it should be obvious that we are not an overly technically gifted side… and I include our marquee player in that.

8. Big fran Guest

I turned off after half time as I didn't see the usual improvement. I don't mind pragmatic football if it yields results but that's not happening right now. I'm seeing the same 11 being asked to run farther and faster than any other in the league with little rotation and basically being flogged. The subs are dull, like for like, seldom and too late in the game. The 11 in the comfort zone and the rest will feel undervalued then being asked to do a job when they get a minute here and there. The sane 11 more or loss be rolled out again Sunday and again midweek. Given his contract situation, the growing frustration from the fans and poch still lurking in the background on a free I think Conte ain't far from a sacking to be fair.

9. The Conte Guest

I could definitely see Conte leaving of his own accord at season’s end but he won’t be getting sacked unless he requests it.

After last weekend he’d managed 38 league games at Spurs… the equivalent of one season… for 79 points and 82 goals.

Exceptionally good considering where we’ve been these last few seasons.

So a lot of overreaction at the moment to one very poor performance.

10. Big fran Guest

I'm not saying he should be sacked but it's in the offing. Not one bad performance this.. There was arsenal and Lisbon away both awful. Marseille at home very fortunate. Hanging on v Frankfurt at home after terrible subs made. In between all that there has barely been a good performance over 90 mins all season. The best we played was Everton who held their own for 45 mins and they are absolutely awful. Conte now putting the blame on Levy saying more needs to happen off the pitch which doesn't normally sit well. He's saying we are not contenders and need more windows however arsenal seem to be doing all right don't they??

11. The Conte Guest

Well he’s right don’t you think? This side certainly doesn’t compare with City’s on paper… and possibly a couple of others as well.

As for Arsenal well I really don’t care but they’ve been building for awhile now after investing in young players like Martinelli and Saka and Odegaard. Their success so far this season hasn’t just happened overnight… and who knows if they can sustain it.

For sure our play has been inconsistent but you also can’t ignore the fact that this is our best start to a season in 60 years.

If the Conte can be enticed to hang around and gets a couple of more players… like a quality right wingback for starters… then good things will surely follow.

voiceofreason likes this.
  12. Big fran Guest

Well no not really. City apart the rest of the league is poor IMO. Arsenal been building similar time to ourselves and looked to have overtaken us but they have bought players who improve thier starting 11, give young players a chance and dominate possession and are currently ahead of city.

13. voiceofreason Active Member

I was waiting for this line to be thrown out. Last time we were challenging for the league and had a 2nd and 3 rd place finish it was all about the others being bad and in transition
    All teams change, transition ,get better ,get worse, we aren’t the best we aren’t the best to watch but we are not the worse either.
    The wheels could come off and also we could catch a gear. Our attack is up there with the best when all are fit. At the moment we are having a very good start to the season, points wise, we are beating lower teams which was a complaint last year
    Let’s get behind them and see if the Man U game may have been a blip or possibly they have turned a corner and will put in performances like that against all teams

14. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I commend you voice of reason for your undying optimism but do you really enjoy what you are seeing.Conte may yet get us in top 4 at the end of season but I for one prefer watching other teams at the moment to be entertained .Football has become such a big business now that the entertainment is waning and this used to be why we went to watch our favourite team

15. voiceofreason Active Member

I am an optimist but I think my comments are more realist. I said we aren’t the best team to watch but we do look good in periods , especially the breaks.
    I would rather we played the same style as peak pochetinno but that’s not conte’s, nor was it Jose’s (who I didn’t have a problem with hiring if results were good) style,
    If we want success, we have to be judged on results not style, if you go back over my posts I’ve generally said we won ugly but at least we won
    If we start losing and dropping down the table then I will agree to consider major changes but if we stay top 4 or thereabouts then Conte and the team will be doing what’s expected and what’s realistic for a first full year of contes management?
    Let’s hope we find a gear against the geordies!

16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Any body else fed up with watching the scum play entertaining football and winning while we bore the pants off most people.Levy promised us the spurs style But has failed miserably to do this

17. Dier is poor Guest

Levy runs works for an investment company and the only promises he keeps are to his superiors. It's all about the NFL and concert revenue. On the football side we get promises to be "competitive" which means challenging for top 6 and occasional top four so they can maintain the revenue. It's a business not a football club.

18. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Well done Southampton.Don’t like the look of todays team 2 attackers and 9 defenders.Maybe we get lucky.Sanchez oh no

19. voiceofreason Active Member

Have to agree with this

20. Dier is poor Guest

The delusion is strong in our fanbase and websites. Spurs web says this at halftime..
    Eric Dier: Guilty of a couple of silly mistakes creeping into his game in recent weeks, saw a backpass go inches past Lloris’ post. 6.

In recent weeks!!! He's been at the club 10 years. Dier is an appalling defender.

The fact that lloris is captain sums it all up.

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button