Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Another enthralling encounter.....

2. Big fran Guest

I will always take results over style of football. I'm that starved of success I don't care. I do feel Conte is given a free pass from most fans when mourinho wasn't given 5 mins. The style is the same the formation isn't. It's counter attacking football. Most fans will turn when results drop off that's the nature of the beast. But make no mistake Jose had nowhere near the quality of this squad he's defenders were so so poor and absorbing pressure is much easier when you have Romero, Lenglet and perisic rather than asking for a world class centre half and getting championship Joe rodon. Conte needs to get more out this group and get more offensive players on the pitch asap. With kulu son bissouma PEH this squad is tailor made for high pressing football.

Felon82 likes this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Careful Fran you'll be accused of defending you know who.......

But you're spot on Conte has better players and plays the same anti football only difference is Kane & Son were at least smashing it, Kanes legs look gone and Son is massively out of form.

4. Big fran Guest

Look I like Conte and rate Conte as I did Jose. I like managers who rule the roost and say things as they are but this squad is capable of a lot lot more. When we were top of league under Jose spanking teams everyone was right behind the counter attacking style. In this system as we are seeing now when you rely heavily on the front men and the goals dry up and the defenders make basic errors you lose games. That's what we are seeing now but somehow it's deemed acceptable....under Conte! I just feel with kulu Son richy9 perisic bissouma this team is far more able to press higher up the pitch and take the game to the opposition.

Felon82 likes this.
  5. voiceofreason Active Member

This is what I have trouble understanding, goals drying up and defenders making basic errors ?

After todays game, even if we lose, we will be 3rd in the table after almost a quarter of the season. “If” we win and Arsenal lose, we will be 1 point behind them and they are being talked about as having an amazing season!
    We have my locked yet but have got the results more often than not, this is a good thing as we always got crucified for playing well and losing. I for one hope results continue but would also like the style to flourish

6. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Why is it we go one up and then give the ball away for fun.Hojbjerg does it persistently and falls over trying to get a free kick.We are leading at half time but need to regain the early momentum or Brighton will come back

7. voiceofreason Active Member

personally I thought Hojbjerg was immense, he covers so much ground, yes not got the skills of dembele but he is a serious engine.
    First time Brighton have lost at home this season and first time since last year when we beat them
    Good win against a good team

8. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

This was a excellent win and Doherty and Sessengon were such an improvement over last weeks full backs.I still think we seem to give up the initiative in games and I suspect that we pass the ball back to our goalkeeper more than any other team.Son still looks short to me and cannot hold the ball up.Excellent defensively

9. voiceofreason Active Member

Hey Preed

I have to give you credit, generally I would say you are more on the glass half full side than me. However you don’t hide away after a result regardless of the performance and do try and stay fairly even.

I think we looked very good defensively, the game plan was probably to be more so which isn’t generally the perceived Spurs ways. But it gets a result, a feed I was watching was calling it a Conte masterclass in controlling the game. definitely happier to have Doherty on the right than Royal

Also I hope Dier gets plaudits eventually for the player he is turning into, marshals the defence well

Busy time ahead lets hope kulu comes back and Harry wasn’t too hurt!

10. Genevaspurs Guest

I saw a serious Spurs match and a coach who was able to doninate the debates tactically. A great victory against a very good opponent! Felon where are you?

11. Felon82 Well-Known Member

That extra body in midfield helped us get 41% possession.

Dreadful watch, 3 points.

What else can be said ?

If you thought that was anything more than nicking a win then you're deluded.

We won't stay 3rd or just a point behind the scum playing like this.

12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Missing me?

13. The Conte Guest

A very good result after a very difficult week for the club

Gian Piero Ventrone had only been with us for a year but he had already made quite an impression. A legendary coach with Juventus who also won the World Cup with Italy, Ventrone proved himself to be a very popular and highly influential figure at Spurs

A remarkable effort then from everyone given his sudden passing

Rest in Peace Gian Piero

14. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

As I said a good win but is it only Felon and I that think the style is tedious and it would be nice to play better football than the opposition just once .So far this season most of the games we have played the opposition have played the better football but lucky for us they don’t all have top class strikers

Felon82 likes this.
  15. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

As I have the spurs app I can watch the under 18s and under21s and the womens matches live on the app.The women are competitive but I have watched the under 18s lose a 3 goal lead in the cup against Wolves and then today lose 3 goals in 11 minutes againstEintract to lose any hope of moving to the knock out stages.If this was the first team questions would be asked about the coach who is an unknown name to me.I have not seen much quality in the lower teams which is worrying for the future.

16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Emerson starts again even though he will miss 2 more league games .Is Conte his godfather

17. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Who else can make a good performance into a shambolic ending.It is nice to see the subs get some time but not 5 of them and take off two of the hardest workers in Bettancour and Richarlison.Once againEmerson makes a vital error and Dier reverts back to his lack of concentration.We made ten men look like world beaters and that is not how to close a game outJust knew Kane would miss second penalty.Must say thatSkipp looked way off the pace .Bringing on 3 players Moura Skipp and gill All at the same time does not help the team shape with their total lack of playing time

Last edited: October 12, 2022
  18. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

No opinions or have all the fans given up

19. voiceofreason Active Member

I think it was a given Emerson would play due to all the matches coming At the end of it I predict he won’t be first choice anymore!
    Very harsh criticism of Dier, he has hardly put a foot wrong this season, he’s allowed a mistake occasionally and to be honest the ball from Romero was a bit hot coming in! Think the hard workers were taken off for exactly that, games coming fast and furious need to keep all fit

it wasn’t pretty towards the end but also if Harry hadn’t shocked everyone by actually missing a penalty, it would have been smoother

Good result and on track to progress

Oh and I see no mention that maybe Son isn’t that bad

20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

11 shots each.
    52% - 48% possession.
    Score 3-2.

Against 10 men Frankfurt.

Just papering over the cracks.

Dier is an awful defender.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button