Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We lost to Lisbon before this 1 another insipid performance as they've all been, we've not beaten any decent team we've played.
    And we're stinking out every game with terrorist football.
    This is just the start of cracks appearing having been papered over for the back end of last season and beginning of this.
    Unless Conte changes this awful 343 formation and introduces Bissouma & Spence a bit lively the wheels are gonna fall off.
    We're so 1 dimensional it's painful, awful in possession, all holding hands in our box n lumping it up to what look like a geriatric Kane & Son who wonder around hiding.
    It's awful.

2. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I see voice of reason is being fooled by the fact that we have won a few games against inferior opposition but does not mention the style of play that is so mind numbing.We have played 2 top half sides a lucky draw with Chelsea and a good hiding from arsenal the rest have been against bottom 6 sides.I hate to admit this but Arsenals style is so much more pleasing on the eye with players who move and are comfortable on the ball.This used to be the spurs way but we have now reverted to hiring the anti entertainment coaches.Newcastle have worse players than us but are far more attacking as are Brighton.I do not want to be a sack the manager person I just want Conte to be more open to changing the system and to admit that some players he seems to favour ie Emerson are not good enough.Kane needs a kick up the backside because his effort yesterday was shocking and Richarlisons effort put him to shame as well as Son.

Felon82 likes this.
  3. Genevaspurs Guest

I'm divided between those who were quite happy with the start of the season and those who barely complain things are going badly... Indeed, the start of the season is not brilliant in terms of quality of play but the results are there . You should know that Conte imposes a huge workload during the preparation and that it is after 15-20 matches that the benefits are felt. At the start of the season, players are still suffering from preparation. And on the other hand, the quality of the game is not very sexy! When you win, it's not too disturbing but obviously, against teams like Arsenal, the contrast is obvious. Especially with a frustrating loss at the end! What disappoints me the most is Conte's lack of tactical mobility. He has a system and only plays with this unique system. No surprises and it's quite predictable for the opponent. In addition, he manages to stubbornly put almost always the same players on the field. Even after the international break where he persists in always putting the same players on the field. Like Perisic who is over 33 have played the 2 matches with Croatia in the last week. Result, he was non-existent yesterday. Ditto for Hojberg who looks more and more tired or even Kane. I still have confidence in Conte to deliver a good season, but the questioning must be general and quick because the matches before the World Cup are likely to be complicated.

4. voiceofreason Active Member

If you check what I have said since the beginning of the season, I have always said to replace Royal. And have said we are winning ugly at the moment which is better than losing!
    I think he will work the new players into the team and will hopefully play around with the formation.

However I still do get amazed by this forum of so called supporters,
    Last season we managed to get into the champions league, even though the eternal pessimists were saying that was impossible. When we did it was of course because we were lucky and everyone else was bad!
    Last season we were rubbish because we couldn’t beat the poorer teams, now that we are beating them, that’s not good enough!
    Apart from the 1 loss, we have the same wins and draws as City, who are the best team by far and going to walk the league according to pundits. But that’s not good enough!
    “We don’t use the new signings” yet we started with 3 of them on the pitch!

Right, that it’s I’m leaving this forum, o_ONo I am not going to do a Felon and throw my toys out because he was upset that we actually overachieved so he was starting to look even more bizarre with his constant negativity (I won a wager with myself that he would be back at the first premiere league loss)

I am not deluded, I know we haven’t been playing our best but I also know that sometimes it’s winning ugly that counts. Yes we lost and yes it hurts to admit but Arsenal are looking good, however who know what would have happened without Royals brain fart But like I said that will be a long term blessing in disguise
    COYS

5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

No toys out of pram got very bored of the pretence we were transformed, in your own words we over achieved which was down to others being worse and us scraping 4th so that's a contradiction.

Oh and you are deluded

6. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Voice of reason made a point of the fact that we had same win and loss as City.You are not serious to compare are you.The present score after 73 mins is 6-1 to city against united and their football has been breath taking.Maybe we can swap Kane for Haarland

7. voiceofreason Active Member

Hey Guys

You can’t just take bits I’ve said without the context !

preed , it never said we were as good as City, I was saying despite playing poorly we were equivalent to the best team with results

Felon. Deluded?, I said I wasn’t deluded I knew we weren’t playing our best. And I never said we were anywhere near a finished product, I just respond to results. Remember you were promoting Jose because he was known to get results and wins regardless of style!

8. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Is there anybody who genuinely thinks we are a good watch.I watch as much football as I can and I used to switch off when teams like Burnley were on because they were boring.This how it has become watching us now and I find us sleep inducing even if we are getting results.At least under Arry we were good to watch

Felon82 likes this.
  9. voiceofreason Active Member

My heart does race when watching us play. Unfortunately it is when we are playing out of defence :)

10. Dean Austin Guest

Contes/Mourinhos tactics worked well at the top clubs juventus, Milan, madrid. They will never work (as in winning trophies) with budget players.

Felon82 likes this.
  11. Mr Levy Guest

Save any energy in arguing. As you will have seen, nothing will please some and others change their mind week to week with polar swings. If you say that we could play better, you are a delusional hypocrite. If you say that we are in a decent position in the league, you are a delusional hypocrite. The only narrative that seems to be acceptable on here is that Conte is terrible, no better than anyone including MP who was our worst manager in years allegedly. Our football is terrible, no better than anyone including MP but especially JM and NES, who clearly had us playing and performing better when they were here. Our results are a fluke but our performances are the results of our efforts and quality. We only made Champions League because of everyone else. We are only where we are in the league this season because of everyone else.
    When you do post, the anti Enic brigade will pick out a couple or words or sentences then spin them to support their story of the week. There is no point whatsoever in posting because you will only ever be continually trying to contextualise what you have said in the counter arguments but it will fall on deaf ears and be used out of context against you. I can’t work out if it’s funny or sad anymore because people with genuine opinions seem to get caught in an argument that they didn’t start, even when trying to put their thoughts into the thread for discussion.

voiceofreason likes this.
  12. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

God Mr Levy what was that diatribe about.Who mentioned Mp.My argument is that the results cover up the turgid way we Play.To some that will be enough but I have supported Spurs for over 60 years and have seen us play with style which you can’t level at us now

Last edited: October 2, 2022
    Felon82 likes this.
  13. voiceofreason Active Member

I like Conte’s answer to the question about Spence, I think he has been following the thread here:)

We are talking about a young player with a good prospect, but I repeat I try to pick the best team. Also Doherty last season played every game. Now I’m not seeing him in the right way to start the game. I'm not stupid, I don't want to lose. I try to put the best team, to pick the best team.

14. The Conte Guest

Don’t despair lads… was an unfortunate result. A fluke goal from one of the worst long rangers in the EPL and then a double goalkeeper howler from our normally excellent captain. The Royale with Cheese send off was the final straw… a dubious red if ever there was one. It was a derby… strange things will always happen. Normal service to resume soon.

Conte is doing very well… an excellent manager. His style is a little too circumspect for my exact football taste but don’t call him defensive. We’re creating a lot of chances but then we’re also giving up a lot of shots as well. Figure that one out.

Another top 4 is looking good so far and to be perfectly honest that’s the best we could hope for. The league title was won when Haaland signed for his Dad’s club.

15. Genevaspurs Guest

Same team, same result ??? What is the message for the rest of the team ??? You are too bad too play even if the majority of the first eleven are totally tired !???

16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Hoped that my estimation of Conte was wrong.I mean a good manager but stubborn if criticised as he has proved tonight by playing Emerson.what do you have to do in training to get picked.

17. voiceofreason Active Member

To be fair I think he was always going to choose Emerson now that he is guaranteed not be starting Saturday

18. Genevaspurs Guest

We were a little better than Frankfurt but too weak in the middle and in front. Son is at the same level before his hat-trick l. Perisic and Hojberg are tired, Richardlison is technically limited and Kane looks worn

19. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I am Sons greatest fan but still feel he is off the pace.His final ball is bad and he seems to get caught for pace when clear,He also never wins a 50/50 but he is not alone there..Gutting result when we had enough chances to win 2 games.We needKulu back,We now must win both home games to go through

20. Guesty Guest

... didn't he cost more than Haarland??

the Arse derby is done for now.....and is always a difficult game.... more so as they are playing well.... lets get back on track....

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button