Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

You mean the same individual errors that plagued us all last season?
    That was a coaching issue I was told .....

2. Guesty Guest

I did say some time ago that Barcelona were supprised that we took Emerson for the amount we did..... 3 times what they paid 8 or so months earlier.
    The bloke isn't good enough.......he needs to go asap along with Doherty, Sanchez, Davies, Dier & Winks,

Kulusevski is getting some positive press on here. He's started okay.... but for me he is very left footed to be on the right. I need to see more of him but he always seems to have to stop the flow by having to move the ball back onto his left.

As for the game....as well as the goals Southampton scored..... what about the chances they missed!

I'm still of the opinion that Conte will be Man U manager next season...... because DL won't back him

3. They were surprised at the offer… they had also just bought him in full… you can’t have it both ways

He has room to improve but he’s not as bad as you think… he’s played for Brazil

But no he appears every bit a fullback… which is not what we need

4. Glad you’ve been paying attention

Yes you are correct… the previous two full time managers were not very good

A clueless academy coach settled that argument long ago

5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

So when it's previous managers individual errors we're their fault, but with Conte individual errors are the players fault?

I told you all that you'd change your tunes n I'd call it out.
    Now suddenly the same players aren't good enough anymore despite you all demanding champagne football & top 4 last season.
    We're still not achieving either this season but there's gonna be excuses galore for Conte.

6. What are you talking about son? You’re not making a great deal of sense

The manager cost us the game last night… as I said… it wasn’t about individual errors though there were plenty of those… the approach was far too passive against an average but aggressive side and we ultimately paid the price … that’s on him

I understand why he did so for this particular game… but it was a mistake in the end given the final result

You generally get what you pay for in life… and Spurs are pretty much what they cost… a good side… certainly better than Southampton… but not the best

Again I think you’re waiting for something that only comes around once in a blue moon with our financial outlay

7. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

The argument goes on players or manager.Let’s be honest there is not a manager alive who can make some of the losers in our squad into premiership footballers of any substance.aThe only thing I will say is that inConte we do have the best chance of turning it round if he is backed as at least he seems to understand the weaknesses which Mourino and Nuno ignored.I also believe that he will want assurances from Levy or he will walk and who would blame him.We have reached a point where Levy could not carry on if he fails to back Conte and the supporters should make it clear that we won’t accept second rate any longer.This is the club that was the first English winner of a European competition and the first double winners in the modern era and yet we have added a new word to the dictionarySPURSY.Can you imagine Man U or Liverpool having such an insulting word associated with their club.History tells you that Ferguson used to motivate his players by saying it’s only Spurs we are playing.I want other clubs to fear playing us not looking for easy points.

8. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I wonder if Jose’s ghost watches the same team I watch .It was the managers fault that winks Emerson and Sanchez had night mare games and can’t defend crosses .He says spurs are a good side in that case Southampton are world beaters because they totally outplayed us

Felon82 likes this.
  9. voiceofreason Active Member

I think your link is all time

I was speaking about this season. I wasn’t right but it’s better than most, he is 9th on successful crosses

https://www.kickest.it/en/premier-league/stats/players/successful-crosses/2021-2022

10. Jose's Ghost Guest

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you actually watched the game... but clearly only one of us understands what took place

Winks or not we put a better side on the pitch... but the manager preferred to let the inferior (albeit more aggressive) team dictate the first half... he has his reasons... he's done it before... but no one at the stadium was impressed with how Spurs allowed an average Southampton side to full press us at home without retribution

Just as expected we finally bring the full press ourselves after halftime and quickly show Southampton to be the rather mediocre side that they are... we score first as was evidently most likely but then again decide that's just enough... you're asking for trouble against an aggressive team with nothing to lose

The manager has spoken about all this before... the reactive approach is a conscious effort... a tactical directive... it's got nothing to do about being outplayed by the opposition despite your best efforts... it was about us conserving energy for the Wolves game after playing Brighton a few days ago... it backfired spectacularly

11. Felon82 Well-Known Member

I was at the ground last night, n I'm currently watching the replay of it on BT sports, Jose's Ghost clearly hasn't a clue what he's talking about. (Not that we didn't know this anyway)
    Southampton were clearly the better side last night we were absolutely awful and the stats back that up.
    Southampton pressed better, they had a better shape, the used the ball better, created more chances/shots etc.
    They were superior in every department, we were fortunate it wasn't a bigger loss.

12. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

So Conte told spurs don’t press in the first half and only changed his mind at half time .What a load of nonsense Jose’s ghost spouts on here.I thought the idea was to dominate from the beginning as per the best teams do.

Felon82 likes this.
  13. Jose's Ghost Guest

Sorry I forget how you sometimes struggle with the very basics of football... let alone understand what a high press is... no matter how many times you watch the game it's not going to help you much if you don't know what you're looking at

Your reading comprehension is not so great either... I didn't question the flow of the game but rather I explained quite clearly why we were overwhelmingly dictated to in the first half... 15 shots to 2 (a tactical miscue if ever there was one)... and why that changed significantly in the second half... until we went ahead again

Bleeding obvious son

14. Jose's Ghost Guest

Ye gods! how long have you been watching football for? and yet you still don't recognise a high press

This game was very similar in many aspects to the Leeds home fixture... only more egregious

Go and read what the manager said about his tactics after that match and educate yourself... that's not my job

15. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Mind boggling summing up of the game from Jose’s ghost.Southampton should have been at least 3+up at half time.Was this a Conte tactic against teams who press

16. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Jose's Ghost thinks getting outplayed at home by an 'inferior' side (who also outplayed us at their ground until the red card) is all tactical.
    8 shots were mustered up by Spurs to Saints 23 just shy of 3 times more.
    Poor chap thinks if he talks about a high press he sounds intelligent & in tune with Conte.
    Seems he was watching a different game to the majority of the fanbase it's no wonder he comes across as an angry and confused individual.

17. Hilarious! I feel like I’m watching an episode of the Two Ronnies here… and not a particularly flattering one

Ignorance is bliss as they say… I’ll leave you two fellows to enjoy yourselves in the shade

18. Wow I never realised that mentioning the basic high press… one of football’s most simple concepts… could make someone sound so intelligent… lol

Yes Southampton are a wonderful side… so superior to Spurs in every facet… I guess that’s why they’ve won a staggering 26% of their games this season

15 shots to 2 away at halftime! that’s otherworldly… but nothing to do with tactics of course (tactics?!? what on earth are they?) no we were just up against one of the world’s best sides… so all completely understandable

Yet strange how the game flipped immediately upon the restart… again nothing to do with tactics of course! how could that possibly be the case? must of been all those oranges the manager cut at half time

Speaking of which… could you come and manage our park side this weekend? we’re good with the tactics! we make those up as we go… we just need someone to cut the oranges

19. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

What has a high press got to do with Southampton outplaying us.Nobody on here has said that Southampton are a great side which makes our first half performance even more pathetic.Shame that you can’t argue a point without personal insults which tells me that you are struggling with the reality of how poor some of our players really are.Maybe if we had players with ability we could high press first and establish our supposed superiority on the opposition

Felon82 likes this.
  20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Jose's Ghost struggles with reality daily.

He thinks Tactically we wanted Southampton to dominate us, create 3/1 scoring opportunities etc.
    But then fixed it with an imaginary forward press resulting in us still losing.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button