Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

The new manager bounce lasted 20mins vs Vitesse.

With this current team if Nuno / JM was still in charge the next 4 fixtures- Leeds Burnley Brentford Norwich the fan base would unequivocally 'expect' 4 dominant wins & would all go into melt down if not achieved.
    Something tells me itl be a different bar for Conte though ......

And considering all I've heard is these players just need coaching and Conte is considered top 3 in the world it'll just expose how hypocritical people have been.

Last edited: November 8, 2021
  2. Jose's Ghost Guest

Appraising a manager after 2 to 3 training sessions is absurd

Some here will tell you a manager needs to be given 2 to 3 years... that's ridiculous as well

Time to let Conte work... the next 5 to 10 games will give a decent picture of what to expect in terms of shape/style of play

But I can tell you right now he's not gung-ho... his teams score goals... they also defend well... a tactically very well balanced coach and a good compromise for those who value performance as much as results

And no... nobody ever expected anything dominant from Jose because he rarely ever was... always played to the level of his opposition while preferring to shoot himself in the foot... over and over again

Indeed I see he's already working on his next severance package in Rome

Nuno? he was just a flat out bad hire on many levels... was never fit to be a Spurs manager

3. THFC Guest

Higher press and more possession is a good start….some shots on target would be nice too with both Vitesse and Everton showing signs of improvement already IMO (except for the shots but that will come).

You really need to let go of JM. I’m pretty sure you made plenty of comments about anyone who mentioned Poch (who actually did have us near a level we all wanted) with any fondness yet you continue to mention JM who set the tone for Nuno by having 11 men behind the ball, sat between the box and the semi circle, playing punt and run ball. He is now doing something very similar in Italy with very similar results and I have no doubt that before too long he will be job hunting again. Nuno was never anyones choice and it was very clear, very quickly, he wasn’t right either on or off the field for us.

Conte is the first coach since Poch was appointed to generate excitement about what can happen as we do have some decent players and now have a quality coach who seems to be making the demands we have been crying out for. The previous 2 games and upcoming 4 that you have mentioned will all be part of helping Conte change the mindset of the players and identifying those to replace as a priority in January and the summer.

4. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Can’t believe that felon is criticising Conte after two games.I know he was a fan of Mourino but at least he was given fair time before the fans turned.Nobody is saying he will make these players world class but he does seem to have been honest about the quality of our squad and that is a start.He knows we need replacements and it will be a struggle until we get them

5. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Referee watched replay... Ha-ha-ha. When any would disagree with VAR ? Last time Graham Scott disagreed, he was demoted. No one had since.
    Lloris fingertipped the ball. It is not what rulebook says. He had to play the ball. Granted, no one knows what "play" exactly means, the little contact like that isn't anywhere near the play that should permit tripping the attacker. Penalty or not should be the referee discretion. Mr. Moss provided such.

6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

This cracks me up, I'm no fan of Mourinho I just point out the hypocrisy of this fan base.

I didn't care what he did b4 spurs and don't after, his haters seem to be more up to date with those matters which is weird.

The point I was making is not bigging up JM or Nuno it's just pointing out that the fan base set impossible and unreasonable bars for these 2 simply out of spite whereas Conte will get all the time in the world treatment and the acknowledgement that the squad is poor and needs massive investment.

(Not the they just need coaching drum you've all been banging)

It's so predictable, more tunes changed than a juke box on here.

7. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Conte will probably get more time because he has more charisma with the fans than Nuno and he does not go on about being the greatest coach in the world all the time.Don’t kid yourself if we do no business in the transfer window then the so called love affair will end.I feel you want us to fail to prove your point Felon

8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

You think I want us to fail?
    This is so petty its embarrassing.

Just because I'm calling out the sheer hypocrisy of it all.

Id take no pleasure in us failing under Conte, just the same as I didn't with Poch JM or Nuno coz unlike most on here I'm consistent with my views. (Unlike views of people wanting us to lose a semi final to get people sacked)

The only way Conte succeeds is exactly the same way the managers before him would've - Significant backing and proper recruitment.
    Because without that he's on a hiding to nothing too.

But I had to listen to and call out the BS about having to coach Dier & Sanchez better, how it was a top 4 squad that should be doing better, bemoaning the style of play etc. (It was all the managers fault)

But as I'm pointing out now a completely new barometer will be used for Conte.
    It'll be OK when the same players are **** for him because it's Conte, it'll be OK when we can't muster a shot on target coz it's Conte, it's OK when we get outplayed for large spells by Vitesse coz it's Conte....
    But change his name to Nuno/JM n it's meltdown time.

9. Jose's Ghost Guest

Sad but true Preed... there are indeed some reprobates who'd love nothing more than Spurs to fail miserably just so their wack theories might gain a little credibility

And yes we all remember who Jose's number one sycophant was around here... do we really need to dig up all those old posts? apparently he's still trying to wash the stain off his hands but let's not forget he also declared Nuno a good hire

Everyone knows that a club like Spurs will ALWAYS be able to improve its squad... it absolutely need not be said but that's all you ever hear from some... as if they won't be content until we've got 11 Galacticos on the pitch... laughable really but don't hold your breath

Conte is a top coach... Spurs have a good squad... so top 4? well clearly there are 4 better squads this term... but one has a hopeless manager... so who knows

One thing is certain... Conte is a manager that always demands improvement... always demands new players... even when he's just won the league... so you can rest assured that not only will he maximise what he has at his disposal but there will be changes coming at Spurs

This is the reset the club needed

10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

If Nuno & JM were so bad and we have a good squad with a top Coach then performances should change instantly no?

Surely they were just being held back by 2 anti football monsters and Conte won't need to demand new players.....

You lot are so full of sh;t it's embarrassing the double standards are crazy.

11. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Nobody has said (I certainly have not)that Conte will win the league with this squad but there is hope that he would not have taken the job if he was not going to be backed in the transfers market

12. Guesty Guest

so..... he may have taken the job only by getting DL to agree to replace our rubbish.
    which I think previous managers also said.
    I hope DL does it this time

13. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Rumours circulating Conte wants Bale back .......

14. THF Guest

Yeah right…

15. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Who'd have thought that if you supply Kane with decent service hel score goals?

Shame our team is stockpiled with sideways backwards snail pace long ball dross

16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Shame Kane does not get in the penalty area for us

17. Felon82 Well-Known Member

The ball barely makes it into the final 3rd let alone the penalty area coz of how utterly woeful our midfield is.

18. Guesty Guest

If Kane got in the oppo penalty area for us....... it would be just him and the oppo keeper in that that third/half of the pitch

Felon82 likes this.
  19. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Lots of space behind then for the long ball over the top

20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Atrocious for 57 minutes, slight improvement n then a goal from a deflection n follow up.
    Literally all this game has done is further gloss over how awful this team is.
    If Leeds weren't missing all their best players we'd of lost this.
    But a wins a win no matter how dross it was.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button