Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Where as I agree Felon that we have a load of midtable rubbish I do feel that you are being unfair on Royal after 2 games and 1 training session and I still say Rodon is a good prospect and I have seen him play well for Wales.The rest I agree are not good enough but we spent over 100million on Lecelso andNdombele so who is at fault for that

2. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Not at all. Do you really expected to win against European champions, the best team on entire continent? Don't be silly. If first period was a luck of fight then I do not know what kind of fight do you really like. How else did you want a REBUILDING team to play against an accomplished group of best European footballers. Spurs totally dominated 1st period keeping the best defense in the world (arguably) on their hills.
    Nuno did not play the defensive football I was afraid he would. The football Spurs played should have made all us proud, but, no, you listen to senile Souness and Kean instead.
    Yes, it was only 35 minutes of full dominance, then 10 minutes of keeping the ball. That is how attacking football is played. No one runs like headless chicken for 90 minutes.
    We conceded goals from defenders, which is another testament to correctness of Nuno's tactic. No one could defend those, including the first that completely derailed the team. It was scored by Ronaldo of Defense. (One of) the best Euro footballer with none equal to on Spurs roster. Thiago had a very good game on top of all. All Dele could do was to pull his shorts down on the jump...
    Some Spurs were very poor and must be rid of at the end of the rebuild. Those are Ndombele, Dele and Kane.

Last edited: September 20, 2021
  3. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Just in case you don’t know Spurporter a game is 90 minutes and playing for 35 does not win you matches and yes I do think the comments of Kean and Souness were correct .I for one am never proud of 3-0 defeat which should have been more and having one shot on target makes me swell with pride I don’t think

Felon82 likes this.
  4. THFC Guest

Such a strange game….we looked ok first half but we lack so much in terms of creativity currently. How Alli is playing is beyond me. He is so lazy and ineffective that it’s simply a waste of a spot in the team. Ndombele just hasn’t got the legs or the engine to be a success and I think we just need to accept that and move him on.

In terms of defending, how can Dier make the odd outstanding block but be so poor for the 90% of every game from giving the ball away, diving and getting turned so easily. Regy cannot defend and seems of the Aurier school of defending. Emerson needs time to adapt, he again seems a little headless. This constant need to sign full backs who attack really needs to be reviewed with a focus on full backs that can actually defend before anything else. Skipp seems to often be caught out when he is turning which is a little worrying.

All of that pales into insignificance if we consider that our biggest problem still is that we don’t seem to have any kind of strategy for forward play other than to sit deep and attempt to launch counters.

I know it’s a big call but I have been saying it for over a year now, Kane needs to be sold while we can get a big fee. The only thing saving us at the moment is how blunt Man City seem to be which might just make them have another crack. We look a far greater counter attacking threat when Kane is not playing. If we are to give Nuno the support he really needs, Kane needs to go and the cash/players generated used for the benefit of the team.

In each of our games this season is the number of chances/shots we have created vs what we have faced. 8-20 at home isn’t good enough (especially when 5 are outside the box). 2 shots vs palace…accuracy in all games not exceeding 70% but as low as mid 30%.

For now, for me, we need to pick the following and stick with it…Lloris, Rodon, Romero, Regy, Tanganga, PEH, Skipp, Kane (yep account for him dropping deep), Son, Gil, Bergwijn. Start everyone else in cup/euro games then rotate in as required

5. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I believe that if you look at the games played this season we looked more likely to win even if1-o when Kane was not playing.I never thought I wouldsay this but his form at the moment is not upping his sale price and would threaten his England place although he is Southgates second son.Roy Keane is not my favourite person but his comments yesterday about the the team and especially Kane were spot on.Love him or hate him but can you imagine any United player not giving it everything when he was captain.

6. Spurporter Well-Known Member

If your pride comes up only when Spurs win, you shouldn't even think of it when we play a superior teams. Anyone can be proud of the club when it is winning. Those are called a good weather supporters.
    We palyed for a change some Poch Football. That is enough for me to be optimistic, it showed Nuno understands. It lasted one period, but not because Spurs gave up. They were overtaken. There's a difference you refuse to get.

Jesper likes this.
  7. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I always hated the man. I can't stand MUFC. Men vs. Boys up your arse, Roy.
    I change my opinion about Kane. He is not out of form. He went on strike. Kane doesn't tackle anymore. He gets rid of the ball before being tackled not attempting to progress in fighting way. In other words, he does everything to avoid getting injured. That means he still hopes to be sold in January.
    Even being like that Kane is not a dead weight and still being better than any other striker we have.

8. Spurporter Well-Known Member

The team is in rebuild stage. When it goes on, the attention to attack is the last in the queue. You start with building and strengthening the team defence and holding MFs. Then you move to MF with the same, and only after that the attack comes up. Otherwise you will never rebuild. Because of that the clubs simply buy a well established attackers to support the team during that period. Levy not selling Kane and signing Son was just that.
    Creative attacker is usually the last piece.

9. Jesper Active Member

I agree, someone needs to tell Kane that he is a striker and not a midfielder. Him dropping deep might possibly make sense if someone else pushes up into the striker position. Son can and does do that but still. Same with some midfielders who drops down to play as defenders. Football is a team-game so yes players should help each other out but that is not the same as doing the duty of another player to the extent of ignoring the own duty.

Seeing how a CM drops down into RB position leaving the CM position empty is both sad and infuriating. The CM in the RB position can from there play to the CB or try to play the ball straight forward where the RB is in the RM position crowding it with the RW while there is no-one in the CM position. This behaviour has been around from previous managers and previous players. Hopefully that is not what was meant by Spurs going back to the Spurs way, the DNA...

The defensive duties of a striker and/or winger can be and at times should be to stay up so that the opposing team fears pushing up. The defending deep is just inviting pressure.

10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

What a confused man you are spurporter you are proud of a team that does not even do the basics of getting blocks in when trying to defend and you think Kane has gone on strike.If he has then Kean was correct about his poor performance and he should be droppedWhere was the poch football or do you mean collapsing under pressure.why do you have to build in blocks as you want and ignore the most precious a midfielder who can control a game .Look what happened to united when they stole Fernandes from under our nose.we have bought defenders who still cause concern about our scouting and we buy supposedly one of the best young talents in midfield and loan him back to his parent club .He may be young but is probably better on one leg than our usual suspects.This is the organisation you tell me to be proud of and I am not a fairweather supporter as I have been a spurs fanatic for over60 years

11. Spurporter Well-Known Member

That's how Total Football was played since Johan Cruyff times or almost 50 years do date. You can say we do it poorly, but it is something what the modern players were tought to do. Switching positions is expected, therefore.

Jesper likes this.
  12. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Never did I tell that. Club is what you support, not its organization.

I agree, Fernandez was something that could save Poch and Co. and delay the rebuild. It would have been a great signing. But keep in mind that MU started rebuilding much earlier and look at them now. How do you know rebuild is needed? Once Mourinho is fired. Chelsea did it, MU did it, now it is our term. You cannot judge the rebuilding team by its results in early stages. Be patient and see the good in the bad.

I am not saying we will become Chelsea like eventually. All I am saying it is ludicrous to compare Spurs to fully rebuilt team with great resources Felon82 is envious of.

All the signing we had in previous windows (Steve, LoSelso, Reggy, for example) were Poch/Mou ones. This window is the first for the rebuild. The players singed for previous regimes may be useful, but they were not selected with rebuild in mind, not according to the plan. Coach Nuno was selected for rebuild based on his experience in building. Let us see what he will build. Just do not boo our lads.

13. Spurporter Well-Known Member

As I said before there is no one better than Kane. Dropping him will weaken the squad. It will not teach him any lesson, but shall reduce his selling price. That is something that would work in Kane's favor, not ours.

14. Jesper Active Member

The one quibble I do have is that Spurs are doing it so poorly that I'd not even say that it is an attempt to play total football. Some positions are crowded, other positions are abandoned. Switching positions is good and difficult to defend against & I did mention that Kane dropping deep can be ok if someone else pushes up :)

The off the ball movement has been very bad for a very long time.

15. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I can't believe you would repeat an idiocy that the "pundits" came up with. What blocks are you/ they talking about? There were no goals scored due to poor defending. Kante's goal was a fluke. It was a mistake to try to block it by a CB Dier. It was a MF job, which is not so critical, since the shot was outside the 18 yard box and the ball was on his way to Lloris. The 3rd goal no one defended, it was over by then. As I said none of front 3 did much in 1st period and were reduced to 2 in the second period. You should know how much those 2 were recently purchansed for. Werner had a chance, true. He was blocked.
    So, to the contrary, there were goals NOT scored due to good defending. Alonso's volley shot comes to mind with great Lloris' save. Lloris was himself, ulike against the Eagles.

16. Genevaspurs Guest

I agree totally. With the actual 4-3-3 set up by NES, the defense support is uncertain or even deficient ... And at the same time, the offensive support for our attackers as well ... a shame! What contribution to Dele defensively or offensively in recent matches? Ok he happens to come and make a defensive block but overall his performance is zero. Worse, he puts the rest of the team in trouble because he does not do the job. No rebellion, no fighting spirit ... and it brings no fear to the opponent. Our full-backs also provide no or almost no offensive support. The problem is clearly linked to the quality of the players, to their mentality but also to the tactical implementation of the group with players who are not in their place!

As it stands, I would recommend a 5-3-2 which turns into 3-4-3 offensively. Something that would allow us to have better defensive footing and better support from the wing players for our attacks!

17. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Really Spurporter the Kante goal was a deflection But he had all the time in the world to line it up as no midfielder came to challenge him and the deflection was unfortunate but he should not have been allowed that space.The first goal was poor marking at a set piece again as Ali and Dier could not defend properly and not for the first time.The third goal was a shambles as a centre back was allowed to run unchallenged into our area .Please stop trying to justify the indefensible,If we don’t improve this week we will be out of a cup and will lose to the scum and how proud will that make you

Felon82 likes this.
  18. THFC Guest

The first goal, Alli should never have been marking their CB. He was so he should be putting more effort in to put him off. Dier was supposed to be in the space attacking the ball. He was so half arsed, there was no point at all in having him in the zone and he should have man marked a similar size cb.
    The second had no closing at all ans the shape was terrible. Both Skipp and PeH were nowhere to be seen and Kante had far to much time to hit a quite awful shot. The deflection was incredibly harsh but the shot should have been closed.
    The third again had no closing with Skipp too far from the free man at the edge of the box and Regy, acting as cover to close, not mailing himself big and turning his body.

All in all, the defending as a pack was poor and despite the fact their forwards didn’t score (which Werner should have), we looked very vulnerable from all set pieces due to our blend of zonal marking and poorly selected man marking choices. What happened to matching players size for size…Silva out jumped PeH and Alli on several occasions before and after he scored. That match up clearly wasn’t working and should have been corrected.

If you look at the third goal, it’s not good defending to have 8 bodies behind the ball and to leave space and men at the edge of the box to allow a shot of any kind because if you can’t shoot, you can’t score….we seem to be allowing shots and hoping for a ricochet or bounce

19. Spurporter Well-Known Member

We don't have to improve, since we do not play anyone remotely close to Chelsea. We will win both, if we play like we did in 1st period. Spurs will make you proud, Preed.

20. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Spurs do not have personnel for that. We have been inferior upstairs since before the PL. Even Kane cannot outjump Thiago. Inability is not an error. One can eliminate errors by focusing on task, but there is no way to compensate for luck of talent. All we can do is to head the ball out (almost) standing.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button