Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Another shambolic performance only saved by a lucky point.At least Gil looks as though he will be a asset in time and Emerson did a good job when he came on and looks to me that he could sit in midfield.Doherty is now in the Winks category unplayable.Worst player on the pitch again Kane.At the moment he gives us nothing in the penalty area and we should have cashed in when City bid120 million .No where near Lukaku at the momentWhy oh why can Ndombele not give 90 minutes because he can be sublime but it only lasts about 20 minutes.My team for Chelsea. On Sunday would have had Emmerson playing midfield with Hojbjerg and Skipp but can’t do because Tanganga getting suspended means we don’t have Right back as we can’t risk Doherty .unless Dier is fit again and we could risk him at right back

Last edited: September 16, 2021
  2. THFC Guest

We have not signed the players we needed and the coach is not making improvements that we hoped for…nothing to do with JM, who wasn’t right for us….Nuno is heading down a quick road to failure though as we seem to have no strategy which is worrying.

Our recruitment has been poor with players that I had never heard of signing for us who have no PL experience and that can’t just slot in to the team to make an impact and with the lack of respect shown by Romero playing for Argentina, it doesn’t look good (especially in his first few weeks to the people paying his monster salary).

Paratici clearly has a lot of experience in European football but swapping Serie A for La Liga is a much closer exchange than either for the PL.

The list of players we should have gone for is huge…Johnstone, Aaron’s, Bissouma, Neves, Watkins, Konsa….the list goes on.

Is that Levy…probably….Paratici….probably but would it have made a difference to how Nuno has us playing? Probably not…I want to get behind him and we have seen ever such small improvements on his predecessor but not enough to give any confidence that this season will be much different to last which points towards the fact we hired the wrong man unfortunately.

I think you are right in that until Levy is replaced and we have a significant investment in the squad, we are going to hobble along, exactly as we are.

Our biggest error is not tying to swap Kane for 3 City players and a bit of cash…That will haunt us because if Paratici is the master negotiator that we are led to believe, Laporte, Silva and Jesus would be with us now and we wouldn’t have given Aurier away on a free and replaced him with Aurier for £25m. Keeping Kane may well end up being very costly, especially if he gets the massive pay rise being touted because we can’t change much about our style with him playing and IMO we look far more dangerous when he isn’t. That was a chance to invest in 3 or 4 players for the benefit of the club that has been missed and probably won’t come around again.

We now have Lucas and Bergwijn hobbling off and our replacements are looking very thin on the ground for those attacking positions.

Should have got Potter from Brighton…sold Kane…oh what could have been

3. THFC Guest

Very poor..Gil seems to be another ‘next season he will be great’ player which we have plenty of form in not actually making them great. Emerson looks ok in Europe but seems to be another risky, forward thing FB when really we need someone who can actually defend. How Doherty is picked is beyond me and couldn’t agree more with you on Kane…we are going to be kicking ourselves that we didn’t take a hige bid, especially if he carries on as he is now or gets injured like normal. How desperate must we be that we are hoping Dier can get fit…this is going to be a very long and painful season I fear

4. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Spurs played as good as they can. They dominated and controlled the game. We allowed one wondergoal and one on goalie error. Good result against the club comparable in quality. It is all that matters currently.
    We have a very shallow team that require investment of 200 million or so. Expect a massacre Sunday.

5. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

What team do you watch Spurporter if you think we dominated .We we’re lucky we did not concede more

6. Unhappyclapper New Member

Just a continuation of the last 3 seasons too slow too passive too safe although not sure it will change not to worry though all the young players will reach their potential and we win everything who am I trying to kid its gonna get worse before it gets better if it gets better that is

7. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Lucky? Football is about being lucky. Better team gets more lucky. Spurs weren't a much better team, if at all. Still, with a better goaltender they could have taken all 3 points.

I don't agree with Nuno taking Kane off. I understand he wanted to save him for Sunday, but without Son Nuno should not start Kane at all on Sunday. Kane will be very much Palace like.
    Out of the two games the Stade Renne was the one we could have won with Kane on the pitch.

There is enough time for NES to study the tape and to adopt the Zenit way of playing against Tuchel.

Last edited: September 17, 2021
  8. Jesper Active Member

Better team than against Crystal P and better performance as well.

Spurs has had players in the past who never seemed to last the full match (Dembele and Son when he first came). Maybe Ndombele is another? 60 minutes with him is better than 90 minutes without.

I still think that Hojbjerg is more of a box to box midfielder than a defensive midfielder. Possibly a better DM is still needed to allow others to push forward.

9. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain what has happened to Kane.I know how disappointed he was to not get his move but he has been poor for a while now including with England.As I have said I would have snatched Man City’s hand off for 125 million but once again Levy does not see the reality shown by the fact that he thought he could get 40 million for Winks.With the injury to Son it magnifies the huge error not to have signed a striker.Someone needs to tell Kane he is a centre forward not a midfielder
    although I suspect he drops deep because of the inability of our midfield to supply him.Is it any wonder that we are bottom of the efforts on goal as we never have anyone in the area (son apart)

Jesper likes this.
  10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

One thing going forward about the striker situation I hope Nuno is not going to push Scarlett into too many high profiles situations because he is nowhere near ready.He is not Wayne Rooney or Michael Owen and if he is going to blood some youngsters I would prefer to see Markandy

11. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Strikers do not create scoring chances. It is not their role. Striker's job is to score from the chances created for him. You judge a striker performance based on that role. Kane didn't failed to score from numerous scoring chances neither for England or Spurs. Both teams didn't create scoring chances sufficiently as of late (please note that cross into 6 yard box either from a corner or from out wide is not a scoring chance). That explains why Kane didn't score and why I do not think it is his fault. If you look at football played by Nuno and Southgate you can't help but find a striking similarities. It is defensive, counterattacking stile that is bad for strikers. That is why Kane signed his contract when Spurs played attacking football under Poch. He wants to play for attacking manager, like Pep.

12. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Great sadness today at the death of one of spurs truly greats Jimmy Greaves.The greatest goal scorer I have ever seen and that includes Kane.RIP Jimmy

Felon82 likes this.
  13. FU enic Guest

We are owned by an investment company that has no interest in football. Unfortunately Levy knows he will fill the stadium week in week out. It's merely a "entertainment" venue whether that's for football (score is is irrelevant). The new stadium was never about competing at the next level. Losers and incompetents like hitchen still working behind the scenes to ensure the nothingness continues. It's all about the revenue streams and the boxing next weekend ...and again we are chelski's punch bag ...a pathetic shell of a football club living off the success and football style from the last century. Now we have no success and no style. FO ENIC.

14. Guesty Guest

thanks goodness I no longer pay my hard earned money to ENIC

too many players who have no right to wear our shirt

15. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

It is hard to assess today’s game.We started brightly and held our own in the first half but one change at half time by their manager and we fall apart.The final score could have been 5 or 6.The own goal was unfortunate but the marking for the first goal was appalling by Ali and Dier.How can Dier be picked over Rodon and Sanchez .Does anyone else notice that Dier marks space at corners and lgnores opposition players.A loss in midweek and against the arses next week and the crowd will turn toxic.I am afraid we have bought ponies in Decelso and NDOMBELE who can’t last more than an hour.I believe we have to try a different system with son up front and Kane being dropped.We have played 6 Games so far this season and had one I repeat one shot on target In open play.Even the bottom sides have more than this..The after match comments from Keane and Souness saying how poor spurs are and how they don’t do the basics summed us up perfectly.Keane was particularly hard on Kane’s performance and correctly so.I don’t know how you put pride into this lot and make them give everything for the club.Being beaten by better teams you can take but the lack of fight and the basics is unforgivable.The players insulted the memory the great Greavsie today shame on you

16. Genevaspurs Guest

I dont agree for Ndombele but I tend to agree with the rest. What is serious is the weakness of some players! Dele is directly involved in 2 of Chelscum's 3 goals and every time he has the ball he always slows down the game ... Lo Celso was useless during the 60 minutes he spent in the field. He was the shadow of himself like a ghost! Getting Ndombele out was a huge mistake. One of the few to run both offensively and defensively! Reguillon was not good either and Kane has become an ordinary player. I would also like Nuno to explain to me why on our corners, only 4 Tottenham players are in the opposing 16 meters while on the Chelscum corners, they are 6 or 7? !!! Playing 30 minutes at 100% does not win matches ... especially against such a beautiful and strong team ...

17. Jesper Active Member

At least the first half was good against Chelsea, there were some signs that it wouldn't last. Kane wasn't doing the press with the necessary intensity.

Second half then a world-class manager changed the shape of the team by putting in a world-cup winning midfielder. Spurs were left to chase shadows, especially on the right side, then stopped chasing. Bad marking by Dele on the first goal, the goal by Kante was possibly bad luck but in the end the score-line might have been a good reflection of the game.

Kane looks like he is playing as someone who wants to be sold, he should be playing as someone who wants to be bought.

Hopefully something can be built on the first half.

18. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I think we all agree that Kane is totally not doing his bit for the team at the moment so what is the answer.He needs a shock and a manager with the cahunas to drop him and that includes Southgate but it won’t happen and he will escape the vilifying that the rest of the squad get.Should have taken the125 million because next year the price will be 50 mil and no more

19. Guesty Guest

Last season I said Kane stayed he'd be an idiot.
    I stand by that.
    What must he think when he looks behind himself & Son.......and sees a shower of sh1te

Felon82 likes this.
  20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

When are many gonna admit on here that

Royal Doherty
    Reg Davies
    Rodon Tanganga
    Dier Sanchez
    Winks Ndombele LoCelso
    Dele Bergwijn Moura

Are simply not n never will be good enough for more than mid table?

That's before we look at the academy, prospects and back ups.

You're living in a dream world if u think any manager can get this lot playing good football let alone functional.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button