Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Guesty Guest

Felon82 likes this.
  2. THFC Guest

Could be worse…..we could be Arsenal

3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Last 5 years same spending levels

4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

As I've said before on here, Arsenal had fan fave Wenger he was stubborn n stagnated, he was replaced by Unai Emerey the fans never gave him a proper chance and hounded him out, they then got the cone boy n now have to pretend it's much better and there's a process n style in place now except 1 major factor that he's a lot worse than the other 2.

Any similarities here. ..

5. Guest Guest

Don't think there's much difference in how things are done. My question was rhetorical.

The main difference between Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool and us are the $$$ we spend on transfers and salaries. Easier to win with excellent players and an average manager than an excellent manager with average players. That's the lesson I guess.

6. Jose's Ghost Guest

Nonsense

Fees and wages are inextricably linked

Brighton pay their players a pittance... we also spend more than them in the market

If you've got an issue with the club not investing a greater percentage of its revenue into the squad then fair enough... we've always spent ~10% to 15% less on average than the other top clubs in that sense

Levy would tell you that has something to do with the stadium... but then he'll also tell you the club is a business with shareholders

So if you've got an issue with us having the 6th highest payroll but our chairman is somehow the 2nd highest paid then of course I agree

But the squad we have is essentially what it is... the 6th most expensive

On equitable footing with all but United this term... 60 million per annum more than Leicester and West Ham... 80 million more than Wolves and Brighton... 100 million more than the likes of Leeds

The expectation that we should attain Europe at the very least every season and challenge for the top 4 is perfectly correct

7. Jose's Ghost Guest

Wenger was a football savant... 20 straight years in the Champions League no matter what... unbelievable

Running him out of the club was about the dumbest thing Arsenal fans could do and now they've got their due

I'm certainly not complaining

8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Exactly what we were doing under JM but it wasn't enough for a lot on here......

9. Jesper Active Member

I agree with that, a manager can only do so much.
    Hopefully some excellent players will be bought to strengthen Spurs in areas where Spurs need strengthening. Getting in excellent players into areas where Spurs already have great/excellent players might not do much good.
    Man City, Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea have all spent money in needed areas, sometimes they bought less than great but at the very least they had a strategy and having a strategy rather than buying what is available is more likely to lead to success.

But I suppose it is easy to be distracted by the skill of some attacking player and forget that to win against tougher opposition then both flair in attack and steel in defence are needed. We'll see what Spurs will do in the next transfer-window, distracted by flair and buy what is available or buy what is needed.

10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Sick to death listening to the whinny Solskar about having too many games in short time.God how I wish we had the same problem which comes from success.Maybe he should get his players to do a proper job for a couple of weeks

11. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Pep Guardiola: "If I go to a team without these financial powers, these incredible players then I wouldn't do as well"

(ItS AlL AbOuT tHe CoAcHiNg ThOuGh)

12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Eriksen- “It was hard to win before I joined Inter. This might be the best moment of my career.”

All that participation, top 4 finishes, runners up, nearly there moments and yet here he is saying that winning a Trophy is the best moment in his career.

13. Guest Guest

Inter won the League, not a League or FA cup. It's difficult for Spurs to win when rivals outspend us. All the "nearly there moments" haunt players who's been around for the last 5 - 6 years. It's really tough for them and I don't blame them if they want to go elsewhere.

14. THFC Guest

"We've become more compact, we look to help one another as teammates, we've worked to become a winning group and results have improved." Inter defender Stefan de Vrij told the club's website.

"The Coach transmits passion and a winning mentality to us. The group is united, and the way everyone has improved made us understand that we were moving in the right direction. For us defenders, it's a pleasure to work together and we've known each for years and now know how to move together."

Club vice-president Zanetti 'I saw that as a club we can still improve. The coach has done something extraordinary over two years, now it's up to us to improve the internal mechanism and aspire to something more.

15. THFC Guest

CoAChiNG iS A BIg PArT oF SUcSeSs ThOuGH

“You need good talent, you need top players and top players cost money,” Guardiola continued. “But honestly, [Manchester] United spend money too, and Chelsea spend money too. Barcelona spend a lot, [Real] Madrid spend. All the clubs in their position [spend].

The squad depth has been key to this domestic dominance, but getting the most out of a large squad of world-class players (who weren’t necessarily world-class when they arrived at City) still takes some doing.

Guardiola needs to keep all these big names happy, and this is something managers at other heavily bankrolled clubs such as Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid, Barcelona, and even Man United and Chelsea, haven’t always been able to do.
    ———————————-
    I have stated before that if Guardiola had taken over Manchester United in 2016, or any other club with similar resources, they - not Manchester City - would be celebrating multiple Premier League title wins in the years since. That is down to the coaching, not just massive spending, with Guardiola and his recruitment staff identifying the right characteristics rather than joining auctions for the most coveted, superstar players.

You could give other managers all the money in the world to create their own team, but they would not have done it exactly like Pep. The comparable sums spent at Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United over the last five years are the most graphic proof of that. In fact, Manchester City's own history underlines it.

There is no doubt Guardiola has been blessed with funds most coaches can only dream about, and the strength in depth sets City apart given the quality of players the manager can summon from the bench. But take a close look at Manchester City’s starting line-up in midweek. For all the high-priced recruits, how many of those players were beyond the financial reach of rivals?

Are we to believe PSG, Manchester United, Chelsea or the leading Spanish clubs could not have identified and afforded players such as Oleksandr Zinchenko, Riyad Mahrez, Bernardo Silva, and Ilkay Gundogan?

Have a read of this other article by MBP school of coaches;
    https://mbpschool.com/en/success-of-pep-guardiola-in-mancity-5-keys/

16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Does any body know if Rodon is injured as he has not even made bench under Mason.If he is not injured then questions should be asked about Masons judgement .As I speak Dier his usual clumsy self and only thanks to a great pass from Ali we are back level.But as I speak Dier gives it away and then stands still while Bamford beats him to the ball and we are 2 1 down

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  17. THFC Guest

Dier is absolutely terrible…gave the ball away with a weak header then left his man for an unchallenged shot. Cant count how often Dier gives up possession cheaply….Rodon must be injured as he’s not on the bench.

18. THFC Guest

The offside rule needs to be changed….measuring toe nails is a piss take….what happened to the potential of having daylight between the attacker and defender to promote attacking play? Joke rule spoils the game as a spectator sport

19. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Same players different coach

Jesper likes this.
  20. Jesper Active Member

Dier....
    First goal was a no-brainer to stop. Just put the ball away, don't let it come into the danger area.
    Second goal, possibly not all on him but better to put the ball out wide than into that area of the pitch. Reg should have done a lot better but still. Bale should have done better and maybe also Höjbjerg.

Third goal was always a risk, pushing up and being open to counters. Still, if one player pushes up (as he should) then another should cover and the covering there did not seem to exist.

Lots of flair, not so much steel and the idea of putting on many flair/attacking players does not seem to work. Who'd have known?
    Bale was not the missing piece. He is a great player but he was not the player who'd complete the team and make the team perform better than its parts.

I guess we'll see a lot of Lamela. Potential buyers will want to see that he is not injured. If an Italian club does buy him then I wish him all the best, always maximum effort and maybe he's just in the wrong league. The Italian league might suit him better.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button