Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Jose's Ghost Guest

That's laughable as I'm sure you're aware

He left a side that had played in the Champions League final some months before

Do you have any concept how difficult that is?

Compare that with a side still suffering from a post Bale hangover and forced to turn to Sherwood and Adebayor to scrape Europa with a whopping +4 goal differential (vs +28 in 18/19)

16 senior players wouldn't last 18 months... close to 2 thirds of the squad... none of those sent packing would ever achieve anything greater (save Paulinho ever so briefly)

Kane had made 6 starts in his career... any comparison between him then and now is hilarious
    Same with Lloris who had yet to play in a Euro, World Cup or Champions League Final
    Rose at 24 had yet to play for England... he's still at the club by the way

The likes of Son, Dele, Dier, Alderweireld among several others who've contributed significantly had not even arrived yet

Pochettino forged Spurs... just as he had done with Southampton... to punch considerably above their weight over 5 good/very good seasons.

The Champions League final was the proverbial straw after shovelling **** uphill for Levy over so many years

There's no comparison between the squads and to claim so is plainly a joke

2. Jose's Ghost Guest

Spurs are easily a bigger draw than Leicester... Rodgers has said so himself

He'll walk down to London if given the job

3. Jose's Ghost Guest

Well to begin both Leicester and West Ham would swap their entire squads for ours at the drop of a hat before we even consider anyone else

You gentlemen are far too involved to be objective about our squad

4. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Have you lost your marbles Jose’s ghost Leicester squad is so much better than ours.

Felon82 likes this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

The most flukiest run to a CL final ever.
    Where we scraped out the group on goals scored not goal difference, having struggled badly with both inter & PSV.
    Dortmund the only side we beat convincingly before a massive tussle with City where we got given a hand ball goal aguero missed a pen and VaR saved us to go through on away goals.
    Followed by being totally outplayed by Ajax again saved at the death on away goals.
    Before serving up the worst CL/European cup final in the history of the competition.

And that's besides being an absolute shambles league form wise which you constantly ignore and conveniently gloss over.
    Whether we scraped 4th by a point in his last full season carrying on the downward trajectory we were on from 16/17 with 13 league losses and then following season after spending £130m was languishing in 14th getting record spanked by Bayern n outplayed by Brighton.

That's what he left

6. Jose's Ghost Guest

There was nothing lucky about it at all... why a Spurs man would push such a narrative is beyond me. Miraculous? yes... but they are quite different things

Ours was the group of death... did you expect a stroll in the park? because you're acting like it's your God given right

The only time we were truly under the pump in the knockouts was second leg City (an unbelievable match in itself... we scored 3 away goals you forget)

Did you watch the first leg at home? compare that with our performances against City since and the other day... it was superb given the opponent... Lloris saved the penalty by the way so why exactly wouldn't you say so?

We totally outplayed Ajax away in the second leg and got the deserved result at the death

The final was eminently winnable... we were unlucky in the end

That defeat was the final straw for Pochettino as I said... he should have resigned then because he had nothing left to give

As for the previous league form you keep harping on about... it had obviously become something of an afterthought for us... we still qualified for the UCL... just as Jose theoretically did by achieving the 4th best record after he took over last term

We were 1st in December this season you forget... last I checked we have scored first in 20 games (2nd in the league)... led at half time 16 times (2nd in the league)... does that sound like a **** squad to you?

Now no side has dropped more points from winning positions than us this season and that is why the previous manager is no longer with us

7. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Rodgers rules himself out of the Tottenham job today, stating that Leicester have a young squad new training ground and project he wants to work on...........

8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

So thats Naglesmann & Rodgers off the list.
    Like I said you wanna hope Ten Hag wants it coz it's now looking like Southgate n Martinez r making their way up the list.

9. Jesper Active Member

If you allow for ignoring matches on a whim then you'd also allow the mythical Mourinho-fanboys to say that Spurs under Mourinho were leading the league and still in all cups in December and just a couple of months later he was sacked.
    So, no. No. Just no. You cannot disregard data just because it does not fit your preferred narrative. The matches were played, they happened and the league form is not to be excluded just to make Pochettino look better.

Whether or not it was a fluke to get to the final is a matter of opinion. My opinion is that it was a fluke.

Same with deserved or undeserved:
    Lloriente played a huge part in getting Spurs to the final, his reward? He got to leave on a free.
    Sissoko played a big part in getting Spurs to the final and he also gave away a penalty that completely changed the final and probably lost Spurs the final. His reward? Improved and extended contract.
    I am not sure if either of those two players got what they deserved. Again, a matter of opinion.

Felon82 likes this.
  10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Jose’s ghost looks like Rodgers did not fancy the walk after all

Felon82 likes this.
  11. Jose's Ghost Guest

Whereabouts? I've seen nothing but rehashing of comments he made a week ago

What would you expect him to say at the moment?

12. Jose's Ghost Guest

What matches am I ignoring? Spurs qualified for the UCL... that was their objective. Winning the league? that was long gone by mid season

How is it they could play so well in Europe (and they did) and then perform limply against lesser opposition down the stretch? How did Redknapp deservedly beat Milan at the San Siro and then lose to Blackpool?

It's called motivation

I don't understand your point about Jose... but please explain to me what happened from December to now because our form has been quite woeful in all competitions (and I'm not talking about style)

As for Pochettino if you want to start a thread about the mistakes he made then I will happily add some things there but I would think the general narrative of his tenure speaks for itself

13. Jesper Active Member

Yep, it was all part of Pochettinos plan. Throw away the Premier League and go all out for the CL and in his genius he was prepared and took the necessary actions to be on the right side of the very close VAR-calls.
    Or maybe he tried his best in both EPL and CL, the football was the best that the players could muster in both EPL (often quite awful) and the CL and the difference in results was solely due to pure luck. Once the luck ran out then he was sacked.
    People will believe what they want, I saw the quality of the football in his final year so I know which one I believe.
    Pochettino is and was a good manager but the players he had in his final year overperformed - as far as I can tell mostly due to luck - in getting the results that they did. The football was bad.

Register and then you can start a thread.

Felon82 likes this.
  14. Jose's Ghost Guest

Well then I guess you don't understand what luck is... much like many other things

By the way opinions aren't created equal friend... some are educated and some are uninformed... when you stubbornly fall into the latter then what use are your thoughts?

15. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Paul Mitchell made it possible for Poch at Saints and Spurs. After Levy forced Mitchell out Spurs didn't sign any outstanding prospect. Mitchell made Hegelsmann look good at Leipzig with his recruitment. And now Monaco is somehow getting UCL football for next season with Mitchell there.

Felon82 likes this.
  16. Jesper Active Member

You talk of stubborness and of being uninformed? :)

Pochettino himself said even before the CL-final that a painful rebuild of the squad was needed. You stubbornly refuse to believe that Pochettino was right in his assessment. He spent time on the training-ground with the players, he had access to all the reports from coaches, physios etc but you believe you know better?

People watch the matches, they see with their own eyes that Pochettino was right, a major rebuild of the squad was needed but you? You maintain that the squad was and is great, you refuse to believe Pochettino - your hero. You are unable to see it with your own eyes even after Pochettino has said it - the squad needs a painful rebuld.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...ahead-of-summer-transfer-window-a4133596.html

You don't think nor do you see nor do you listen. Your opinion is for those reasons almost the definition of being uninformed and therefore worthless (except for some amusement).

If you ever done sports then you'd know what luck is. Sometimes you make it, sometimes you just have it but one this is for certain - it will run out.
    Pochettino knew that luck runs out and as far as I can tell he decided to tough it out to get the bigger pay-off. Or maybe he thought that the painful rebuild consisted of getting in two senior players and an U23 player. Who knows? I am not a mind-reader so I don't know what he thought but it sure looks like he was right about the need for a painful rebuild.

Felon82 likes this.
  17. I feel like I’m conversing with a child... is that the case?

If you wish to engage in banter with me then you’ll have to do better than just reiterate what I say

I’m well aware what Pochettino said before the final... he actually said a number of stupid things in those long weeks which weren’t beneficial to the game itself

The ‘rebuild’ alluded to the fact Eriksen and Alderweireld were definitely on their way out and Spurs now addled with debt were going to have spend money in a ridiculously inflated market when they hadn’t before. Essentially he was saying things were going to have to change in the years to come to maintain the standard he had set

He certainly wasn’t calling his squad a bag of **** needing a complete overhaul weeks out from the biggest game on the planet... only a ***** could come to that conclusion

End of story

18. Guest Guest

Read the article without any preconceived bias, I would come to the following conclusion.

1. The rebuild Pochettino talked about wasn't about Eriksen and Alderweireld leaving the club.
    2. The rebuild isn't about maintaining the standard he had set. It's in keeping with the new stadium they have build. Essentially you need to upgrade the squad together with the stadium
    3. Basically he's saying that we can't spend like what we have during the last five years if we want to keep up with the likes of Man City of Liverpool.

I trust that my reading of the hieroglyphs have not been erroneous.

19. Jesper Active Member

I didn't know that you're a mind-reader, impressive that you read the mind of Pochettino like that and know exactly what he meant. But strangely enough your mind-reading isn't good enough to get my age. So I guess that you are again just making things up.

I suppose your interpretation is in your world the only possible one, but in the real world then another interpretation is that he meant what he actually said. Painful rebuild needed.

Some later stories appear to support that interpretation:
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/fractured-squad-hampers-pochettinos-rebuild-tottenham/
    Pochettino spoke about needing time to get players "on the same page," about needing two transfer windows to "fix this type of situation and sort it."

In essence, Pochettino is saying there are divisions in his squad, which is going to need to be refreshed, even rebuilt.

It almost makes it sound like the situation was a difficult one. Pochettino was and is a good manager so if it had been an easy one then he would more than likely have dealt with it quickly and easily. But he didn't so maybe the situation was actually bad and difficult.

Interestingly enough the better you make out the squad to have been the less impressive the achievement was by Pochettino. I mean, what kind of manager with a top 4 quality squad goes on a run like this:
    Taking into account all matches since the middle of February, they have won eight of 26. This season, it is just two wins in its eight matches in all competitions, and the record includes a home loss to Newcastle, the squandering of a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2 against Olympiakos in the Champions League, and now an exit at the first hurdle of a cup competition at the expense of a team 71 places lower in English soccer’s pyramid.

Not quite the record I'd expect from a good manager in charge of a top 4 quality squad.

Felon82 likes this.
  20. Cheshuntboy Guest

Your willingness to counter the endless blinkered rubbish peddled by "Jose's Ghost' aka 'Faultless' aka whatever other names he's posted under is greatly to your credit - if the team had half your grit and persistence, Spurs wouldn't be in their current mess. You, me, Felon, Big Fran and others have pointed out the incontrovertible fact that Spurs were running-on empty from the beginning of 2019, and stumbled over the line in fourth that season only courtesy of Arsenal's late penalty miss , but facts don't interest the Pochettino Fan Club - their faith is all they need. Good luck, because JG will be back at you with more distortions, lies and insults - it's the only form of argument he knows.

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button