Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. THFC Guest

It’s amazing just how contradictory that is....JM isn’t in charge of signings, Poch was...JM inherited a poor squad, Poch didn’t...JM had no transfer budget, Poch was granted an open cheque book....JM had no spine in the squad, Poch did...JM has no power when it comes to players or contracts because it’s all Levy and Enic, Poch signed all our worst players to ultra long, over paid contracts....it’s almost as though Poch was put in by someone to secretly get us in the Champions League every season and also get reasonably far each time only to them intentionally leave just so the next manager had no chance of success.

The fact is, JM and Poch were both hamstrung in exactly the same way with exactly the same constraints. One has shown, like as he has at his last few clubs, that he is capable of deploying players and tactics that ensure the football is terrible to watch and the squad is split. The other seemed to give up towards the end of his tenure, for the exact reasons you use as excuses yet you hold him responsible. The joke is you blame him for not winning anything, not having us play well across the last 10 or 10 or so games of his many successful years without affording him the same bull**** excuses that you make every single week for a coach that has single handily taken us from a regular top 4 side to fighting for a Europa League spot with a team full of players that don’t believe in his methods, his tactics and each other.

The clearly is delusion, extremes and an element of being slightly bonkers but not where you seem to think it sits (especially if you think “a proper club” is run by spending massive amounts of money on bang average players and being in huge amounts of debt.

For 4 years, we were a “proper club” then due to lack of investment, which the manager called out, we lost our way. That lack of investment, may well have its reasons, only Enic and Levy can fully explain being as I’m pretty sure none of us have ever run a £billion football club which has the added bonus of having no income for over 12 months.

Wits ok for the anti Poch/Enic/Levy brigade as now we have turned into a bit of a joke club with our squad questioning the poor, victimised, neglected super manager from yesteryear who has can do nothing apart from pull his £15m a year salary and slowly drive us into the ground. It’s almost a shame that if we don’t keep him for another year because it’s only then will you be proved utterly wrong however on the flip side, as a fan, none of us could manage another year of terrible performances and dropped points with a mid table finish just to prove you wrong on your belief that his coaching super powers still exist and it’s not in anyway his fault (despite not starting the same 11 or formation every week)

2. THFC Guest

Totally agree with you

3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Did u read what I said 'its extremes and bull sh!t both ways'

But we have to listen on here how Mourinho has been backed got all the players he wants while Pochettino was a victim given scraps.
    I'm just pointing out that you can't claim 1 and then denounce the other.
    Levy is always meddling and blocking what managers need/want.

Neither have been backed properly.

And on the point of backing and spending like proper clubs do the aforementioned all win Trophies and compete for the big prizes regularly so why you'd poo poo such a notion as if its not a major issue whilst simultaneously crying Poch was never backed is in fact contradictory.

4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

As the theme on here is to bemoan the style of football I'd like to ask who this season actually plays a good style of football and are successful with it?

As the standard seems to dip year on year for the quality results and spectators this year's league has to be up there with the worst in recent times.

So tell me who's playing easy on the eye football and being successful with it ?

I've only really seen City do it consistently and we all know why that is, Chelseas football is efficient, Utds has been very meh just got results via a lot of pens etc, West Ham's pragmatic, Leicester have the odd spell, Liverpool have been awful we've been awful but efficient, Arsenal awful, Everton awful.
    So where does n has this demand for entertaining attacking football come from?
    Like we're the only team in the league that's not great to watch.

The football across the league has been shocking over all.

5. THFC Guest

I absolutely agree with you on Levy’s meddling and also agree both JM and Poch were dealt the same hand. I have said it before but I am not a fan of Poch but do think he performed miracles in very similar circumstances to what JM is facing now. With that in mind, despite how it ended for him, did think that he did well.

With the big spenders, Liverpool are only big spenders due to the sales they made...fair play to them but with no big sales recently they haven’t made any big signings and are in a slightly better state than us (they just made better decisions on signings).

The only other side to realistically compare against is Utd because they spend based on income, which I think was our intention of the stadium and COVID has done a job on us for that. If we look at Utd, they are terrible however they are lucky that the league and most in it this year are even worse.

Chelsea and City don’t really count as unless you get a rich owner, willing to throw money away, you can’t compete. The FFP rules were supposed to sort that and clearly is a complete and utter joke given their spending levels on average players. It will be interesting when the money dries up for them both, given their respective debt levels as to what they do long term.

I am not anti JM, I am anti any coach who is employed on the biggest salary in the league and makes no improvement whatsoever to the style or squad we do have.

I agree with you Levy needs to back off, Enic need to take a bit more of a risk financially, especially having benefited from what Poch delivered for 4 years. I don’t agree that JM is the one to deliver it though...if he is replaced, we need to clear out about 8 players and let the replacement choose signings to start again. If we stick with Jose, guaranteed we will be having the same conversation next year

6. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Don’t know where the Scott Parker came from not from me.Yes I have moaned about the squad and criticised when certain players are picked ie Dier Sissoko and Sanchez but that does not make me an idiot as you seem to suggest nor does it make me change my mind about Mourino.I guest on 2 other spurs sites and 95 per cent want Mourino gone so I suppose we are all wrong and must bow to the sensible minorityI don’t understand the downer on Rodon so early in his career

7. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Rumour has it that the teams signing up for the new super league could be thrown out of European competition looks like Jose knewwhat was coming and got out early

8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't ever call/suggest you were an idiot, it's just if you're sitting there and saying how bad a large number of our players are and calling for other players to start who are pretty similar in level then how can you expect better performances ?
    We have players who think it's totally ok to amble around a pitch or happy to chill on the bench on huge wages that's a player attitude/mentality problem, no proper players behave in this way.

I referenced Scot Parker coz he's in a list that I've seen touted by the desperate to replace JM along with Graham Potter Eddie Howe Ralph Hasenhüttl (or dreamers that court Europe's elite but don't realise none will want the poisoned chalice).

The last time I'm gonna speak on the matter with or without JM this squad is awful and needs a culture smash via an overhaul.
    Whoever that Manager may be needs to be backed financially and supported by fans & the board to make big decisions because make no mistake this team needs aggressive no sentiment action.

9. Well well well...

That’s one way to never have to qualify for the Champions League again

Spurs a founding member of the Super League? that’s quite a contradiction in terms

Levy is officially the ultimate swindler... he’s almost nary won a thing in his 20 years at Spurs yet here we now sit at the big boy’s table

A remarkable achievement...

As for what’s the point? money... money... and more money

Basically the kind of money that people are always complaining we don’t have

10. THFC Guest

It appears that winners of the Audi Cup is enough to make it into the Super League. It’s a remarkable feat to get us into that as guaranteed members, just lucky Arsenal are in it too so that there is someone to finish below us

11. Cheshuntboy Guest

I haven't had the enthusiasm to join the fun and games on this site for some little time, but the obvious truth of this post has compelled me to poke my oar in, for old times' sake. Pochettino had the structure of a top four club already in place when he arrived - Spurs had made top four twice in the previous four seasons, and barely missed-out in 2013, so how anyone can seriously claim that Mourinho's situation in 2019 was remotely comparable defies belief - it frankly takes stupidity to new depths. The stars of Pochettino's two good seasons (2015/16 and 2016/17) were knackered by overuse or over-hype, Eriksen and Rose had effectively gone on strike, and our form was literally that of relegation candidates, with no away win in almost a year, and the flukiest of runs to the CL Final, where the wheels came-off when it mattered. Yes, Mourinho's tenure has been a massive disappointment, but the fantasy that it would all have been different if only Pochettino hadn't gone is just that, a delusion. We had a team in Pochettino's best seasons that could, and should, have won serious trophies, and was already disintegrating well before Mourinho's arrival, and the whole mess belongs squarely on the shoulders of Levy/ENIC, the albatross the club just can't shake off.

Felon82 likes this.
  12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

He's gone Mourinho sacked , mason til end of season

13. THFC Guest

Very random to do it before Sunday

14. THFC Guest

It can only because Bayern have shown an interest in Nagelsmann so they are getting to work quick...Surely

15. Felon82 Well-Known Member

This decision I think was gonna be made end of season, there's rumours it was a huge bust up about Mourinho refusing to take players out on training pitch in protest against the super League (not sure if there's any truth in that) but knowing both JM & Levy they're masters of manipulation JM knew he was going wants to make it for reasons other than results Levy knew it too but has moved it forward to deflect the Super League news.

The only thing that can be got out of any of this is we are a certified banter club n an utter shambles.

16. Perhaps Jose’s Super League opinion this morning was not asked for? Levy is one of Europe’s powers that be now after all

To be fair Jose’s absolutely been asking for it for some time

17. There you go.. makes sense

18. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I am totally confused as to what goes through the brain of Levy.I cannot say I will lose any sleep over the Mourino sacking but why in the week we are in a cup final and why put a failed under18 coach in charge.I am sure the players will respond to this.There must be more to this than than we are seeing in the news to trigger this at this precise moment.Add this to the joke news that we have put ourselves forward for the super league and that sums up the greed of Levy who has no interest in the playing side or the supporters.I for one will not watch us if this super league goes ahead and wrecks the football system of this country which has given so many people joy for hundred of years.I said why put an under 18 coach in charge when Ledley is the assistant not that I think he is qualified..Total shambles all round and although I am glad Mourino has gone. I bet he is probably pleased to be away from the bald gnome

19. RIP Jose

You weren’t the best but thanks for a few entertaining pressers nevertheless

20. The fact it was the week of the final says it all

Very difficult to imagine Jose would pass up the opportunity to win another B grade cup but let’s be honest his chances were zero to none

He may well have facilitated this to save some face under the guise of a nobler cause.. he has been asking to be sacked for quite awhile now

Then again maybe Levy’s power drunk

He’s taking an awful gamble here with this Super League business.. sacking Jose’s a piece of cake in comparison.. gives him some cred in the Super League boardroom too

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button