Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Jesper Active Member

I'd say that the 352 formation allowed more players to play according to their strengths:
    -Son is bad at defending the left side but does well at hassling CB and finishing so him being played as a striker was good.
    -Kane can play a free role without leaving Spurs without a focal point for the attack
    -Reguillon and Aurier can focus more on attacking
    -having three CBs should allow the CMs to push forward but... for some reason that does not happen

Anyway, in this latest match I thought Ndombele might have played his worst match. I suppose it happens to have an off day. Höjbjerg.... Is he really that much better than Winks?
    Sissoko was probably the best of the Spurs CMs. This time around the team improved after half-time, not like the match against Newcastle. The improvement didn't last but still.

2. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

What strengths did the system allow to show son was missing for most of the game both full backs were caught out of position time and again Dier could not defend for the second goal and the midfield was appalling.When Sissoko is better than the other two we really do have problems.The only improvement came in second half when we switched to back 4 because we were behind again

3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Rodon Tanganga Reguilion LoCelso Bergwijn don't get in any of City Utd Chelsea Liverpool sides not now not ever this is the level we're supposed to fighting with not pretending we're as good as or could be if it all ever comes together.

Time to wake up n get real.

4. Guest Guest

How many players do we need to replace to give us some hope of a Top 4 finish?

Defence: Right back, at least 1 CB. Dier, Sanchez not good enough. Keep Toby, Tanganga, Rodon

Midfield: Creative playmaker who can keep possession, create chances and keep things flowing. Move Ndombele to advanced position. While Dembele glides past players, Ndombele fumbles past them, giving away possession too easily. Sissoko, Winks can never figure out what they bring to the game. Keep Hojbjerg.

Forward: Keep Kane, Son, LoCelso. Get another right-sided player. Moura good at running at defenders but his final pass is awful. Lamela same problem, tend to overdo his running and not releasing the ball. Bergwijn - hardly gets into the game, won't even think of making transfer permanent.

At least 4 players i.e. if Kane & Son don't leave

Manager - will be surprised if he stays. Awful football without results. Plays the blame game all the time. Players probably don't buy his brand of football and don't play for him anymore. Beginning of the season, results and some ugly football. Now, no results and even uglier football.

5. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I did not say they would get in city Chelsea side I said they would make squad players.I do believe Rodon would get in the current Liverpool back four which ain’t very goodIf you read all my posts you will see that I said we wanted a centre half 2 full backs a class midfielder and a striker and the above would be squad players ,.I’m afraid Felon that your wish for 10 or more replacements won’t happen so we must keep some of the players and hope we get a manager who can have the effect that has happened at Chelsea.Tonight against city their defence was superb when a few weeks back under Lampard they were awful.I don’t need to get real I do know the extent of our demise

Last edited: April 17, 2021
  6. THFC Guest

In terms of squad, let’s not forget that we do have some decent players still....

Lloris , Rodon, Regy, Tanganga, Skipp, PeH, Son and Kane

We then have a few that might be ok to keep if such as Davies, Lo Celso and Bergwijn

7. THFC Guest

Pretty much bang on - Alli, Moura, Lamela, Winks, Dier, Sanchez, Aurier and Doherty would be perfect to jog on.

im stuck on Ndombele, maybe if he was used and coached in a way to make best use of him, he would be great. So far though, he just looks like a poor Yaya Toure to me

8. THFC Guest

You make a point that seems lost on some...the impact that change can have on a group. With Lampard, Chelsea were pretty terrible with comments about squad quality and age etc. Tuchel has got them to an FA Cup final, CL semi final and pushing hard on 4th place, all with the same players Lampard had at his disposal. Just shows that different approaches and tactics can yield improvements from players...just not when your tactic is to defend a 1-0 lead at all costs using the worst defenders possible

9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

I'm sure Tuchel will be joining the circling vultures ready to pick up our poorly treated held back superstars in the making gonna be a lot of competition for such shackled unhappy talents as Rodon Tanganga LoCelso NDombele Bergwijn they're obviously the level of players these clubs want & need to work with.

And they're not even our worst players.

People giving Tuchel praise on here what don't Chelsea have to be a successful football team ?

It beggars belief that people think he's doing anything a squad like Chelseas isn't fully backed equipt to do.

People need a reality check n to get a grip badly.

Who's this mystery manager you're craving that's gonna come in and turn it all round ?

10. THFC Guest

No one is saying we will win the league but anyone can see that a new manager should be able to get us playing better than we are currently and improve the confidence of the players which seems to evaporate at 1-0

11. Felon82 Well-Known Member

I'll guarantee u that after an initial new manager bounce where some of these bums might try again itl very quickly go south again without a major overhaul of players that simply aren't good enough.

Makes me laugh people can clearly see that the teams not good enough that the spending isnt good enough but they still expect top 4 and attacking football.

You'd better hold the next manager to account for the same standards you have set for Mourinho.
    Or will it be ok to not be in the top 4 or challenging then because it's not him?
    Who will you blame then?
    Will it finally be ok to lay the blame with completely unprofessional and substandard bad attitude players?
    Will it still be touted as the same team that Pochettino had ?

12. THFC Guest

We have a bigger and better stadium than most teams in Europe...we have better training facilities than most most teams in Europe...what don’t we have to be successful?

There are several managers who would do a better job IMO....Allegri, Benitez and Nagelsmann

13. THFC Guest

But JM has signed 9 players....Lets get a new manager in and afford him the same luxury then judge based off that. Our performances week in and week out show no sign of improvement and our results are slowly and surely dropping us down the league. Success this season will be to finish above Arsenal in the top 10. The Carabao Cup is a cup that literally no team in the league cares about so will winning that make any difference? Not at all

14. Felon82 Well-Known Member

1 freebie 1 swapsie 3 loans nowhere near what was needed considering the team was neglected from 2017 - 19 when Pochettino then blew £140mil on LoCelso N'Dombele Sessegnon & Clarke who've not improved us 1 bit.

Just be genuine for once the squad barely had 1 player per position n the players taking up the 1st spots were the dross that automatically found its way into the 1st team because of non existent/poor recruitment.
    So 9 players recruited on a shoestring budget is not being backed or as if he's been given full reign with a blank cheque book.

15. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Allegri wouldn't come to Spurs we only got JM coz his stock had fallen, Benitez isn't known for good exciting football, Naglesmann looks to be heading to Bayern sooner or later and is totally unknown quantity to the PL look at what happened to Frank de Boer n many other next flavour of the month managers.

16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Felon if as you state the nine players were not good enough and done on a shoestring who was the idiot manager who agreed to these transfers.Are you saying as I think that Mourino has lost touch with modern day players or is Levy controlling who we bring in.Either way it is not good for the club..I believe he wanted Doherty and Vinicius and both are no where good enough.I also suspect he did not wantBale hence his treatment of him.Can you imagine Pep or Jurgen taking players they did not want.What annoys me with the present situation is that ignoring the poor football which we have had to endure before it is the constant slating from the press and critics which no other club gets consistently and neither did we until the greatest manager on earth appeared.Ikeep having this dream that Arsenal finish above us.It is a good thing that no spectators are in the stadium as it would be toxic

17. Guest Guest

I think JM had to compromise on the players brought in, the same way he compromised when he said that he had a very good squad when he came in. He understands the constraints and thought he could pull it off to prove himself. When things go wrong, he just blamed the players because they were not good enough for him. His endless tweaking hasn't helped the team settle either. Cannot understand why he refuses to play Bale & Ali when they are getting into some sort of form. Just to hang on to his opinion of them?

18. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Well as it stands we have to pretend that Pochettino was powerless about who came in and never had any money to spend.
    But then Mourinho is supposed to have full control n full backing.

It's complete and utter extremes and bull sh;t both ways.

If you think for a second Mourinho wanted Doherty & Rodon above all other RBs & CBs then you're completely deluded, there was a budget and these fitted.
    If you want to see how proper clubs operate look at Chelsea dropped 50mil on a 2nd LB, Utd dropped £110m on a CB and RB, City dropped £500m+ on Defenders & GKs, Liverpool £200m+, as the saying goes 'pay peanuts..' and that's how we operate.

If you're gonna slate the cheap signings JM made out of necessity because of the gaping holes in the squad, then how about the horrific big money buys that Poch made ?
    Sanchez Sissoko NDombele LoCelso Aurrier Sessegnon etc or is this all on Mourinho too?
    The extended contracts aswell that have many of them tied to us on big wages til 23/24 hence why we can't shift them.

Keep kidding yourself it's all JMs fault n that Scot Parker is the man to come in and transform it all.

You sit and agree the squad is awful, you moan everytime any player is picked and give your view of how bad n useless they are (which I agree with most of the time) then in the next sentence you wonder why it's so bad and want Rodon in the heart of defence whilst expecting exciting football.

Its absolutely bonkers.

As I keep saying if people are genuine not clouded by romanticising Pochs term and blinded by absolute hate of Mourinho they'd look at the situation a lot more objectively and fairly.

Anyway once the cup final is out the way n end of season comes you can all rest happily that he's gone and welcome in the new guy and give him all the support you never afforded the current manager.
    And Hel have exactly the same sh;t to work with and won't be playing attacking dominant football with these donkeys but you'll all stay patient and excuse it literally because it's not JM.

It's extremely childish imo

We are where our last horrific 5 years of spending and squad neglect deserves us to be.
    Until we have a reliable spine and better quality players we're just pissing in the wind.

I called all this when Poch was incharge that it wouldn't last and the whole 'believe enjoy the ride' movement would end up with better player leaving for genuine success and a number of players levels dropping unchallenged.
    I was shouted down as being negative but I was right.
    And I'm right about this situation too as Ive been right about ENIC and the stadium con.
    The only thing I didn't get right was not wanting Grealish when we were interested but what I'd give to have a player of that attitude on the pitch now coz he's the exact polar opposite to the passive losers we have.

19. THFC Guest

Apparently we have signed up along with 11 other sides to a breakaway European Super league....what is the point of that??? We can’t beat most of the teams in our current league. The only good thing about it is that Arsenal have signed up as well so at least we won’t come bottom

20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We will be the whipping boys n even more of a banter club, ENIC FC in the Super League is about as ironic as to dare is to do n the game is about glory

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button