Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Spurs second favourites to win it all

The bookies are putting their money where their mouths are... will you do the same?

2. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Can’t afford to waste the money although we do have a good draw

Last edited: February 26, 2021
  3. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

How frightening is it to watch city today .Their starting eleven is 11 class internationals and then they have Foden Cancelo Stirling Laporte Rodrigo Bernard Silva on the bench who would all be first choice at any other club.Trying to compete with that is almost impossible unless you have a multi millionaire prepared to spend big

4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Pep himself "you need top quality players to win things consistently and top quality players cost a lot of money"

And yet within our fan base people think Brighton levels of spending is acceptable and that our squad is top quality

5. Guesty Guest

I think City could buy cheaper players and put them into their team and they would become top players.
    But most teams are spending big to guarantee the player is at the top of his form. But sometimes that fails (see Sanchez for us!)

I think JM has done well to push through our youngsters. maybe we will see more of them next season over a huge outlay.
    I would prefer that to some 'Carlos Kickabout'..... even if that meant some bedding in time

6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

The more top players you have tho make it easier to introduce/carry 1 or 2 coz if you're dominating most games it takes the pressure off and a mistake isn't magnified.
    Our problem is we have a scatter of talent and a lot of dross.

7. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Sanchez playing again why??Is Rodon injured as he does not even make bench.Why Moura instead of Ali.Team selection still defeats me

8. Jose's Ghost Guest

Good lineup today... close to full strength (Dele being the exception but Lucas is in good form)

The rot stops here or Jose is shot

9. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Hands up best performance for weeks.Sanchez looks so much better along with Aldy and not Dier.Please make this a blue print for the way we play and stop the defensive rubbish.I know this was only Burnley who don’t score many but our strength is going forward.Bale starting to show the form I thought he had lost.Ali showing he can play for team.Moura still the enigma tremendous pace but usually runs into somebody but then scores a good goal but misses a far easier one.No Sissoko or Winks so no sideways backwards passing

10. Guesty Guest

agree with most of that...except Sanchez.
    Not a clue with the ball at his feet. Burnley forwards are hopeless and he was still poor positional.
    Sorry......he is not good enough for £40m+

just on Bale's second.....taken like a stroll in the park. I hope he can push on as he will occupy 2 defenders....and still make a pass/cross.

11. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Incredible really basically our best 11 on the pitch and all fit and it's a different story and performance.

If only they'd all played every game when they were unfit/ill/injured etc.....

Bale is looking sharper n sharper great to see and it's breeding confidence into the team, as long as the key players stay fit I see no reason why we can't/won't finish the season strongly.

12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Palace drew at home with UTD last night they didn't rescue a draw either.
    Leicester had to rescue a draw v Palace at Selhurst.
    When Palace rescued a draw v us though a large chunk of our fan base went into nuclear meltdown, everyone made out it was completely unacceptable n had never happened before.

Just letting you know that's how the league is.

That is all.

13. THFC Guest

Tonight and in the last couple of games, has JM adjusted our approach? We seem to be pressing a lot higher and the back line are playing much shorter balls unless there is a clear opportunity for a through ball. It seems like our MF are benefiting as the ball isn’t constantly being ballooned over their head and with the higher press we don’t look to be dropping so deep. Removing Dier makes a massive difference, not only with our passing but with how we defend. Decent first half performance against a tricky side in good form

14. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Good first half poor second half.I can see why Jose subbed Bale off as he was struggling but why bring on Moura who lost the ball on at least 3 occaisions and allowed Fulham to break on us .I would havekeptAli as he can hold the ball better than Moura..I can see why Fulham have been getting results as they press and fight to the end.We do really need to learn to control the ball to stop these nerve racking second halves when we seem to surrender possession The bbc app had Bale M O Mwhat match were they watching

Last edited: March 4, 2021
  15. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Bale was pretty good.
    Just wander whom you would select. I think there were none better.
    Fulham is a well coached team. I do not bet, bit if if did, I'd put some money on them staying in EPL. It was a tough game. Both Hojbierg and Ndombele are not what they were earlier in the season, we needed Sissoco sooner in the second as we were losing the fight in midfield. Fulham inability to finish was the only thing we were lucky with, but even them were able to finally score. The luck was on our side again. Gladly took 3 points...
    We will not see Son, Dele, Kane and Bale starting together any time soon. And rightfully so. Without the ball they are a liability.

Last edited: March 5, 2021
  16. Felon82 Well-Known Member

It's a squad game, especially if you want to try your hand at everything.
    We have played the most competitive games of any side across Europe this season.
    That's why we have to rotate it's through necessity rather than choice and I can totally understand why we'd play Doherty & Davies tonight and because they're both bang average it alters the way we play (because the squads not good enough)

As we've seen all season Hojbjerg & N'Dombele good players that they are do not dominate midfields or possession, both looked shattered yesterday and why? Because the alternative is Sissoko & Winks who are rubbish (squad)

2nd half was all about levels dipping which this bunch of show ponies are very susceptible to when the going gets tough, they were sluggish, 2nd to everything, couldn't get anything going so to come away with 3 points no matter the performance is a good result.
    Tbf Kane shudv also had a hatrick.

Still a lot to play for this season

17. Nonsense

That is our very best front four and should be starting every possible game together

Eriksen was an absolute defensive liability and we rightfully never benched him for that

Do you know why?

Just ridiculous that Spurs should be picking their forwards on what they do without the ball these days

18. Yes and no

We played a higher line in the first half but still only pressed en masse rarely... which is a curiosity because the couple of times we closed down in numbers Fulham’s backline coughed up the ball. People who want to know what a proper high press looks like should just watch City or Liverpool or indeed just about any team that plays us

The second half we reverted to type. Fulham pressed much more than us in this game... unlike Burnley who got stung badly early. Our response to the press is to punt it long... it’s in Jose’s resume... just ask him. He doesn’t play through the press... the space is over the top

You can have success (eg. we created the best chances in this game) but the % of successful passing is naturally lower playing long and you can find yourself going considerable periods without the ball using this tactic... which is what occurred

We won the game which is what matters most considering where we are at the moment but it doesn’t inspire a great deal of confidence going ahead

19. THFC Guest

It was a good first half but pretty disappointing second half...good to pick up 3 points but in reality we should have come away with a draw in all fairness to them. We look so much better keeping a higher line and putting pressure on than we do dropping off and playing punt chase into the space where no one actually is

20. Couldn’t agree more but Jose can’t help himself

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button