He's Magic ... er noooo

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Felon82, August 26, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Thomas Guest

Well said. This is what I fear the players will be thinking. Footballers' careers are short and everyone would love to win something. To keep hearing that "trophies will come" season after season is really wearisome. Without proper investment in the right positions, it's obvious to players that we have a weaker team than 2 seasons ago. To try and achieve something base on pure grit and determination and relying on one or two players like Son and Moura to get us to another final is wishful thinking.

We might lose some very key players in the next 6 to 12 months.

Felon82 likes this.
  2. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

We all know there have been signs of decline ever since the refusal to purchase players these past two years.

At Christmas, for 19 games played, we had 45 points and were ahead of City, then only managed 26 from 19 for the second half. Add the 3 games this season, 4 points, that's 30 points from 22 games. That says we're on a run to a little over 50 points this year, 25 off the required level. FFS.

Mix the Poch moaning into the mix and the cake looks marbled with some brown stuff...and it's not chocolate.

Sure there is some sympathy for him. He's done great with his hands tied behind his back. We've limited funds, not paid decent wages, can't attract marquee signings, played away from The Lane for nigh on two years. Difficult.

The thing is does DL have the strength needed to confront MP head on and get it sorted, knowing that he really doesn't want to start spending big, which in itself would deter a top flight manager from coming anywhere near us.

The thing that leaves me weary is that a young player/s like James Maddison was a perfect CE replacement, for £25m and we let him slip. Didn't we get offered Sessingnon at a £5m price, to be loaned back. You cannot let these chances slip through your fingers. It will cost you not only cash, but serious delay in any rebuilding program. The CE thing would have been known part way through his contract - 2016/17, look at it now.

It's a fecking mess Daniel, can you untangle this can of worms.....can you?

Gordon Mc likes this.
  3. Crimble123 Guest

How much have our rivals spent?

Then add the annual difference in wage bills to that over the 5 year period.

We should be finishing 6th every season. We have finished higher than that in every season.

He has consistently over performed with the resources available. And now his resources appear to be diminishing due our persistent poor performance in the transfer market over the last 2-3 years.

I think the departure of Paul Mitchell was costly and the reason behind his departure points to the intransigence of the board to act upon his recommendations.

If anything, I feel sorry for Pochettino. He’s made mistakes, sure. He’s certainly not faultless and should be subject to questioning and criticism. But on the whole he’s done a very good job - as a club our status has grown significantly under his guidance and he has helped to generated significant revenue for the club through our high league finishes, European qualification and our progress in the Champions League.

However, he’s clearly not happy and I think it’s looking increasingly likely that he’ll end up quitting. If that happens then I’d expect a period of instability and uncertainty and many of our key players could well decide to follow him out of the door.

Hopefully when the European transfer window closes things will settle down but I fear that these contract issues will persist until next summer when they eventually expire and then it’s up to Mr Levy to dip into his pockets and fill the voids that are left.

Spurporter likes this.
  4. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Yes, I can summarize it. We lost the game in which we were poor. Nothing else. Circus is in your mind only.
    Lack of success is not a failure. All THFC supporters know that. I am not sure why you do not.

5. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I think MP is the next MUFC manager. It may not be this season, depending on what is going on at Old Trafford.

6. Thomas Guest

You are right to say that we over performed bearing in mind our net investments in players and our wage structure. You are right to say that Pochettino shouldn't be blamed for everything because he doesn't call all the shots.

In my view, there need to be a revamp of the wage structure in addition to suitable investments in the right positions. When you are a Top 5 club and you are paying less than the Top 4, I guess that's acceptable even if you are paying less than the club behind you. But when you are finishing second, third, fourth and paying your players less than the four clubs behind you and at the same time declaring record net profit, it upsets the equilibrium.

I think for the club to move on, a revamp of the wage structure is required as well. How to make funds available when you have just built a new stadium? I hope Levy has his refinancing options sorted out to make sure that we'll not end up having the best stadium in Europe and having the fifth or sixth best team in England.

Gordon Mc, Spurporter and Felon82 like this.
  7. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Where he will fail , chewed up n spat out because other clubs demand success not project management and hel not be able to deal with the big personalities.

Gordon Mc likes this.
  8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

How many have lost/changed managers in this time???

They've all mostly been in transition , money spent by a previous manager or regime will have no coherence to it regardless of how much.

Poch has had 400mil to add to the nucleus of a good team he inherited and 5 years to get it right.

He had a purple patch which he still fluffed his lines at the crucial times and hasn't improved his squad adequately or his tactics.

Gordon Mc likes this.
  9. Spurporter Well-Known Member

He will bring his own big personalities that will make others more balanced. Sir Alex wanted the project with Poch, but went with Mourinho for quick success, fortunately for Spurs. Levy will replace Poch with some loser, like Frank De Boer, as he will not be able to afford a proper manager. So you will have plenty of reasons to rant about Daniel, Lewis and their mothers. I guess that's what makes you happy.

10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Fergie also wanted Moyes as his successor......

Oh and DeBoer the 'loser' has won more than Pochettino as a manager but don't let this hinder the blinkers (even with the Audi Cup under his belt)

Last edited: August 27, 2019
    Gordon Mc likes this.
  11. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Moyes was the most successful after Ferguson, except Mourinho one season..
    Poch will win you a cup or two, since Top 4 is not as important per you. Being 5 points off the top of the table, Spurs have to work hard to challenge for title.

12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Both Van Gaal & Mourinho were better than Moyes , Moyes was a disaster and appointed solely on similar merits to Pochettino ie working within a budget and doing relatively well/steady with the odd decent results.
    Top 4 is only important with regards to making money and that's if it's pumped back into the 1st team.
    Seeing as it's not it's more like a gravy train for us basically Arsenal MKII minus any previous success.
    And again being a top 6 side for the best part of 14 years 5 of them top 4 side we're the only 1s in that clique that believe it's 1 or the other and can't do the impossible ......
    It's ridiculous , tedious , boring , 2nd best nearly men Championing dross

Gordon Mc likes this.
  13. Gordon Mc

Gordon Mc Well-Known Member

I'm not at all sure I'm following some of Spurporter's logic here - or where the evidence for his arguments is - but one thing is for sure, he has admirable optimism in the face of what seems to be an unfolding crisis. Wish I could be as confident that all is tickety-boo, we played well and were unlucky against Newcastle, Walker-Peters was marvelous etc. To me and quite a few others it's little short of shambolic at the moment and the visit to The Goons on Sunday, if there isn't a HUGE improvement in all aspects, promises to be another miserable day out, and unless I'm seriously wrong (I do have form for being wrong, mind you) we're looking at a tanking.

Bazza47, Spurporter and Felon82 like this.
  14. P reed Guest

Does anyone know what Spurporter is on about when he says Pochettino will bring his own big personalities.When will this be before he becomes the second coming of Ferguson at united or at our club.I do wish he would hurry up as I for one am sick and tired of waiting now is the time to throw de Celso and dombele into the midfield with Ali at 10 and come up with a system to help get Kane back to what he does best.No more Sanchez playing left side when Vertonghen is fit and no more Lamela apart from the bench.If he can’t motivate this lot then we need someone who can.Mourino is doing nothing and he got the sack for winning a trophy

15. Gordon Mc

In reply to P Reed - just 2 small points: 1) I'd much prefer if Lamela was nowhere near the club, let alone the team or bench. Don't know who recommended him to Spurs but I'd question his eye for a £30m player. and 2) Not sure if he's touting Mourinho for a job at the Lane but this poster would have that appalling man as far away as possible - maybe along with Lamela.

Last edited: August 27, 2019
    Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  16. voiceofreason Active Member

Sorry, I came late to this party- been busy!

Firstly I agree performances have been poor so far but I am not sure it’s quite time to ring the alarm bells yet. It must be terrible in the squad at the moment with nobody really Knowing who will be the main chore of the team until the other countries transfer window closes. That goes for Poch as well

Worried about the verts situation - did anyone notice he had a shiner? Is that relevant?

I know Lamela is easy to hate but personally I think he has been one of the better players so far. He has scored and set up goals and at leat when he takes corners we clear the first man! CE is looked at as the messiah but he hasn’t done anything and in the Villa game I do t think he made a difference, it was just likely we would score nearer the end anyway

Hopefully spurs will amaze us with a cracking performance in the nld. I think we will play better as we can cope with décent attacking teams better than lower park the bus teams

Bazza47 and Spurporter like this.
  17. Felon82 Well-Known Member

With regards to the windows -
    Once again it's only us that these things affect , everyone else just gets on with it.

Piss poor planning yet again has us in this mess.

And this is why I berate Levy the Charlatan and Poch the Pretender.

Both are as bad as each other when it comes to Transfers and Transfer Buisness.

I question Pochs ability to manage a squad properly, ability to rotate, rest, replenish and most importantly scout.

I question everything about Levy's motives the guy is a parasite, squeezing deals to the max, preying on contract/financial situations, constantly low balling offers while out pricing deadwood & pissing off every chairman/agent he deals with.

He's a Tin Pot Dictator minus the Tin Pots.

18. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Thank you. Finally a true Voice Of Reason among the bunch of depressed wimps that do not know benefits of alcohol. COYS!!

19. Gordon Mc

Whaaat ?

Felon82 likes this.
  20. Wimps Guest

I guess if we are wimps, the opposite must be idiots!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button