Game Over for Soldado

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, December 11, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I don't like knocking players and to be fair, Spurs fans are actually amazingly supportive of their players, and they have given tremendous support to Soldado throughout his time at the lane.
    He joined Spurs with a reputation as a poacher, a great goalscorer, but it just hasn't happened for him.

A glimpse of class

Most fans were ecstatic for Bobby when he found the net against Everton with a neat and confident finish. His confidence must have been sky high but then, as with AVB he gets dropped for the very next game, which in my view is appalling man management.
    However, he found himself back in the starting line up against Palace and whilst his build up play was good, as it very often is, he missed several chances that any striker should be putting away with ease.
    We saw a glimpse of how good he can be against Everton, but then against Palace, we saw again just how woeful in front of goal he has become.

Excuses can't last forever

Again, to be fair to Soldado himself, he hasn't really made too many excuses for his absolute awful showing in front of goal. However, me included, Spurs fans have said for months and months that once he gets a goal., the floodgates will open. And they haven't.
    Tonight was another example. He was failing to even connect with the football, let alone get a shot in the back of the net.
    I admire his efforts, I really do, but we can't keep babysitting someone cost the club 26 millions pounds. The one thing I have to say is that he at least puts in more effort than the notorious show pony Lamela, but he will come good we all keep saying!!!

Spurs badly need a striker who is consistent. I really want Soldado to succeed but tonight he was abysmal in front of goal. I am sorry to say it but it is time for him to go and be Sold ado.
    Thanks for the effort Bobby, but we won't miss your goals, because you just haven't delivered.

The Cockerel, notnats and bruski like this.
  2. ALanj Guest

I wonder if west brom are up for a swap

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. smithy Guest

I agree. I don't bag any striker as confidence is so important for them as players and individuals... but its time to go for Soldado; for the club's sake. If he goes on much longer like this he will simply lose all value... and at his age, it wont come back. A move needs to happen in the first week... our only issue... Adebayor has to go too. Will we ditch 2 strikers in the same Winter window? Being Spurs I cant see it happening... so who would you prefer to go first? For mine, it has to be Soldado while he will still command a transfer fee. Lamela can have until seasons end... I don't see it working though. He is just not transitioning.

4. @Vocalspurs Guest

I agree that Soldado and Adebayor will have to go, but Ade needs to leave first. I can see Soldado work with another stronger striker. Ade, on the other hand, is not adding anything to this team. Lamela is very difficult to play with. Nobody can work out what he is doing on a football pitch. In fact, not even Lamela knows.

BrooklynRovaZzz and Felon82 like this.
  5. bruski

bruski Active Member

Oh my days, how many more games do I have to watch the hapless Soldado miss nailed on sitters? He is the original 'couldn't hit a barn door from 20 paces'!
    He is clearly a grafter with a silky touch, he does have class, but we didn't buy him for that.
    HE WAS BOUGHT TO SCORE GOALS AND HE DOESN'T......SIMPLE.
    The fans sing him name and he gets the ultimate 'yido' chant. His team mates clearly like him.
    BUT HE IS A STRIKER WHO CAN'T STRIKE. 18 months of him missing chance after chance.
    ENOUGH.
    Sorry Roberto. Adios amigo and good luck.

6. Jim Guest

I'd rather see Kaboul, Chiriches, Adebayor, Lamela, Townsend and Pochettino out the door before Soldado. Don't get me wrong, it's concerning that he's not scoring the opportunities but he contributes more than all the above.

If Poch had brought Townsend and Chadli off for Lennon and..... actually, maybe Davies and push Rose further forward instead of Lamela, we would have had a man up top as at least someone to aim at and hold it up. FOUR WINGERS AND NO STRIKER IS BORDER LINE *****IC. Poch is a clown. I want him out.

BrooklynRovaZzz likes this.
  7. jonnie Guest

Soldado just has not got the ability to connect with the standard required in the premiership , his brain is not quick enough and the sooner he leaves the better !

8. mjatom Guest

Worst performance this year and the worst ever substitute decisions. Ponch must be nuts.

BrooklynRovaZzz likes this.
  9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Soldado, Lamela and Poorlinho

What an absolute Joke, for all those banging on last season and this season about they need time, its difficult etc how much Longer?????? How much longer must we endure these utter clueless flops taking up wages at Spurs?? True Potential and Class shows its self regularly these 3 cant even have a whole decent 90minutes between them in 15 games.
    This Club has been ruined in the space of 2/3 years its a disgrace.

Levy & Enic, Baldini Out !!!!

10. juan Guest

Guys, it's not Enic's fault. Year after year they try to do their best for the club. It's nobody's fault but the players, and the managers who cannot get them to play well.

Why oh why oh why did we get a 30% win percentage manager in the first place?

Why didn't we get Frank de Boer? Plays great, total football, develops young players, 4 times champion with Ajax. Have you guys watched his Ajax vs Barca games?

Come on, Levy, get FDB, and all this talk of Enic out will end.

11. Hotchpoch Guest

Yep Paulinho, Soldado, Lamela are just not suited at all to premiership football. Can't see any premier league club wanting them or Poch coaching the rubbishness out of them. Lamela is just awful. 1st touch of the ball tonight he dawdles and gets dispossessed straight away. Rose omg. Ben Davis isn't great but at least he takes his defensive duties seriously unlike Rose who was always ahead of the midfield level with Soldado and reluctant to get back to actually defend or track runners.

12. Yiddsy Guest

I wanted Frank de Boer as soon as Sherwood was sacked. He knew Jan & Christian from Ajax and would of got us moving the ball. None of this backwards & sideways football which is so easy to defend against. I pull my hair out at seeing us play this way. Pochettino out FdB Asap.

notnats likes this.
  13. DomTHFC Guest

Agreed, a few of us were debating strongly for FDB over Poch, I remember Ramos going on and on about why Poch is the right guy, but FDB is a proven winner, as a player and a manager, he was best for the main players, Eriksen, Vertonghen, was an advocate for youth but still managed to be champions year after year, he has clout international pedigree, a good reputation, which is very important for players to believe in him and work their butts of for him, especially when times are tough doubts creep in about the guy running the ship if he is not proven, they start questioning his methods techniques and don't give 100%.. However once the wrong decision was made I supported Poch and still do as constant turnover of managers and players is not good for anyone, (except agents maybe) we are at very important time, this could end badly, but Poch needs to be given a chance with players that suit his style, his high pressing game, (anyone get a feeling of dejavu with AVB's high line?) I hope Mitchell is working his magic behind the scenes, but it all comes down to Spurs putting business ahead of football in their transfer decisions, the best players are allowed to leave for financial gain, RVDV, Modric, Bale, and we all can see we have needed a top striker and centre back, for a few years now, and there's proven premiership talent in Benteke and Bony, who will be overpriced and therefore Levy hasn't invested in these guys. Anyway I'm banging on and too frustrated and over it to continue......interesting to see what the future holds, all is not lost a long way to go this season, but at this point I'm not optimistic about the outcome.

As in I agree we should have appointed FDB originally, but now I'm not sure whether we should give up on Poch yet, as the instability could have a disastrous affect.

bruski, notnats and Mattj78 like this.
  14. BrooklynRovaZzz New Member

Bye Bobby, bye! Take Pochettino and Lose the ball Lamela with you

15. Bri Himself New Member

Adebayor must go - He has gone home and he is neither playable nor saleable.
    The problem goes back to Levy.
    He meddles in player and team selection.
    Sherwood (and it looks like Poch) were hired because they would do what they were told.
    AVB was fired because he wouldn't.
    Get rid of the useless Baldini- Tell Levy to be the Chairman - not try to be manager.
    We need to buy to quality strikers in January.
    Ade need never return - Soldado can be moved on.
    I'm afraid however, that Levy is going to "let it slide" until the new stadium is built.

Mattj78 likes this.
  16. big fran Guest

Not sure Enic n baldini are to blame for the failure of paulinho soldado and lamela. On the face of it all looked excellent signings and the board splashed out big tbf. We were all excited. Course we were. The problem is that they have never been integrated properly into the 11. IMO soldado has endured shocking treatment in particular off Timmy and avb but again was highlighted last night in taking him off for a midfielder. The boy tries for the team and the fans he just needs a goal or two followed up by a run in the side with some faith shown in him. I've no doubt this boy will go on and score goals elsewhere.

17. Jackplug New Member

Ever since Bale left, the midfield have wanted to be Messi and play through the middle - Soldado thrives on balls from the wings. I rest my case there!

On the last few performances, I would seriously consider moving on Kaboul, Adebayor, Fazio (why sell Dawson to replace him with this guy?), Capoue, Paulino, Townsend, Lamela, Chiriches and question marks over Rose, Naughton, Dembele and possibly Lennon who has lost his hunger I think.

18. jessy Guest

What happens to players we sign when they come to Tottenham? They seem to go backwards from the player they once were only to flourish again once they move on. Sigurdsson being the obvious example. Is it the managerial instability, pressure of performing for a "top club" or the culture of comfort that has existed at spurs for a a long time. I fear too many people at the club are making easy money once the" business" is ticking over to be actually concerned about the real Tottenham. Enic have lost sight of any morals, blinded by profit, the players can't settle for managers coming and going and if we produce any player that looks half decent, we flog them off to the highest bidder. One step forward, two steps back.

Mattj78 likes this.
  19. Luke New Member

I dont normally comment it has to be said. But our club took soo long throughout the Enic years to really build a side that i felt could challenge the big boys and to see it dismantled over the last 3 yrs or so is heartbreaking. you may knock Redknapp and lets be honest he had his limitiations, but to see Bale, Van De Vart, Modric, Ledders all on the top of there game was a site to behold. Quick football, people running off the ball, penetrative passing, the eye for an angle, we even looked ok at the back.....sometimes.
    And now look, we have literally gone backwards which is exactly where our passing goes most of the time. We are not prolific enough in front of goal, which in turn means more pressure on what is a dubious back line at the best of times (sorry but our full backs are shockingly bad, FAzio loves a red card, Chiriches isnt suited to pace of premiere league, Verts has his eye on a move, and Kabould is prone to all sorts). Our midfield CANNOT move the ball forward at pace in areas that matter. Its amazing how much we miss that little magician Modric, how he could turn defence into attack with a little drop shoulder turn and ball into space. Now everything is neat tidy and to feet, but bloody sideways the whole time. Bullshit possesions stats with no end product.
    I am sorry but until this manager can ship out the players he doesnt rate and bring his own in we are destined for mediocrity. I just hope that in the last 3rd of the season we put a good run together (with a few Jan additions to assist) and finish strongly to give us hope for next yr. Because lets face it this season and the last 2 have been complete right offs.
    rant over, apologies for length of post LOL
    COYS

bruski, notnats and Mattj78 like this.
  20. mattspurs Guest

Clueless hotch potch of players glued together. Poch was the wrong appointment imo..Levy is shite at recruitment but he thinks he is some top fukin headhunter. Very few chairmen can recruit tbh its too operational and Levy should realise this. The real problem is Joe Lewis..because he is so old he is always looking for short term results because he might not be around for anything long term..

lets sell the club and get a younger owner who has a future and time to build..

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button