Dier Set for Important Role; Kaboul & Chiriches to Stay

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by dnoll5, August 11, 2014.

1. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Agree WH will try to win tbe physical battle as some see us as a bit soft. My team wont be the one that Poch picks but here it is.
    Lloris, Naughton, Kaboul, Jan,Davies, Sandro, Holtby, Capoue,Lamela, Eriksen, Ade.
    4-3-2-1 This middle three will completly boss the middle of the park and allow the two of Lamela and Eriksen to play thier free and fluid games. The only thing missing is the width that would have come from Walker.

2. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

The new season is nearly upon us and we are all feeling fired up. Some very good opinions on how the team will look and play. As far as the number 10 position goes, for me Eriksen picks himself but its possible that Poch will play Holtby instead and push Eriksen out to wide left. However if he does play Eriksen as the number 10 then I don't agree with any calls to either play Holtby in that position or sell him. Sorry but that sounds a tad hysterical to me, besides Holtby is one of our most versatile MFs and is perfect for Poch's system. I don't necessarily think that Holtby should play backup to Eriksen, but there's a very good chance that he will. I would still like to see him playing deeper, id rather see him bringing the ball out of the middle than Dembele and yes, linking up with the forwards. If we are to play an attacking, fluid style of football then you cant just rely on Eriksen to provide the through balls, you also need players behind him to also make those incisive passes otherwise teams will just shut us down too easily. Last year Poch's team had a habit of starting on fire but then not being able to sustain the high tempo for the full 90 minutes so id like to see Holtby in the team.

Ramos43 likes this.
  3. big fran Guest

Disappointed myself to see sygi go. Not only did we never see the best of him but never seen him play in his best position centrally feeding off lays ons from the CF or loose passes out of the opp defence where
    many of his goals came at sSwansea 1 in 3 ratio. As regards to capoue I get the impression he was a club signing rather than avb one but hopefully poch can now reap the benefits. I think Saturday the team to start will be a 4231 lloris naughton dier kaboul rose capoue holtby eriksen lamela Townsend adebayor. I'm predicting a massive season for townsend

Ramos43 likes this.
  4. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

You make a good point about Lamela Big Fran, and it is one I have considered.

After ALL the hardwork, the good form (in pre-season) and the excitement/enthusiasm shown by Erik Lamela this summer, it could be easily argued that leaving the Argentine out the opening fixture against West Ham would be a hammer blow to the forwards confidence.

But adopting the role of devils advocate for a minute, I ask you:

What impact would throwing in a player who has little EPL experience, or knowledge of LDN derbies, into the bear pit that will be Upton Park and then potentially having to haul him off should he not find the time and space on the pitch necessary to make an impact?

The tempo in the opening 25/35 mins is going to be ferocious, if previous meeting at that ground are anything to go by, and perhaps it would be wiser to bring a fresh, fit and sharp Lamela on once the pace of the match has slowed down a bit.

I know it would be a HUGE decision for the manager to make, especially given the fact that he is seen by many as someone who has been brought in to get the best out of Erik. But don't Spurs want/need a manager who isn't afraid to make the huge calls?

Listen, we both know it could go both ways should Pochettino chose to use Lamela from the bench, but ,personally, I think it could well turn out to be a master-stroke, especially in the long term.

Obviously, communication with the player would be VITAL in that situation but surely the team has to be put before anyone players personal feeling, right?

Look I'm not saying this should happen, just that it's an interesting topic for debate....at least in my eyes.;)

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button