Confidence, intensity and Harry Kane destroying Chelsea

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by GarethMcKnight, February 28, 2015.

Share This Page

1. GarethMcKnight

GarethMcKnight Member

Despite the disappointing nature of Tottenham’s Europa League exit at the hands of Fiorentina on Thursday night, the club have the chance to make amends and claim silverware for the first time in seven years tomorrow.

Spurs take on Chelsea at Wembley in the Capital One Cup final, with hopes that Mauricio Pochettino’s men can repeat their amazing 5-3 victory from the last time the teams met.

With pre-match build-up intensifying, here are what the key protagonists have been saying before the clash.

Ryan Mason

Ryan Mason has relived the 5-3 win at White Hart Lane and feels that it can give the side the confidence to repeat the victory.

“Can that result give us confidence for the final? Of course. We believe we can beat any team and we’ve got a very young side. Everyone is excited about playing Chelsea and we hope it will go our way.”

With the young midfielder set to feature alongside a number of his youth side graduate team-mates, Mason stated that Spurs will want it more than the opposition.

“To walk out at Wembley is the pinnacle and to do it for the team I have always supported is massive.

“There are a number of us in the squad who have come through the system and we are quite close knit. Some of us have known each other for seven or eight years, even more in some cases, so we have a fantastic relationship as a team.

“That friendship just gives you that extra desire to run for your mate. It’s that extra five or 10 per cent.”

Nacer Chadli

Nacer Chadli is in line to feature, despite starting against Fiorentina in Italy, and believes that we have the ability to claim glory if the hard work that has epitomised our season is replicated.

"It means a lot to be at Wembley. We all worked hard to get there and now it's about winning the cup. It's one game and we know we can do it.

"We have showed that we can beat Chelsea and we have to try to do it again.”

Christian Eriksen

Christian Eriksen will be a key man for Tottenham as always and although he feels that Spurs will gain confidence from the victory on New Year’s Day, the Dane has stated that the side must be even better to win again.

“It will be a completely different game. It’s a cup final, there will be different nerves from everyone and it’ll be an intense game.

“I’m looking forward to it and anything could happen. I’m sure Chelsea will want their revenge but we’re ready for that.

“There’s no doubt they will remember New Year’s Day but they are a really strong team and there have been a few games since then. We need to compete again, be even more intense and show even more will to win.

“It would mean a lot to win it. I got used to winning trophies at Ajax, so it would be great to win something here.”

Mauricio Pochettino

Manager Mauricio Pochettino has a number of key selection decisions to make, but has revealed that he is not feeling the pressure to get it right.

"Always it is a difficult moment. Players want to play always and in all competitions.

"Every time you pick the starting XI or the squad of 18 it is always difficult to communicate to the players who are not in the squad. But this is football, this is our job and us and the players need to understand always about my decision.

"In each game and every game I take a decision and analyse which is the best side to pick. It's not a different rule for the final. The players, like on the first day, need to understand that I am the boss.

"I decide the squad, I decide the starting XI and I decide who plays and who does not. It is true that it is a final and an important game but the players need to accept my decision.”

Jamie Redknapp

Former Spurs midfielder Jamie Redknapp feels that Harry Kane’s phenomenal performance in the 5-3 victory last month could well instil feat into the Blues’ defence.

"Harry Kane was brilliant. He destroyed Chelsea, scoring two goals at White Hart Lane. Gary Cahill and John Terry couldn’t handle him.

"But it wasn’t just Kane – Spurs got their tactics right that day.

"They’ll look back on that match and realise how well they pressed Chelsea, how they put their visitors’ back four under pressure, and played a direct game up to Kane, working off the second balls.

"That’s what they’ll try to do again on Sunday.”

It will be an amazing occasion and thoughts of 2008 will be firmly in the Spurs fans’ thoughts. Despite the calibre of the opposition, Tottenham have shown this season that when we get it right we can beat anyone in English football - but it will be a nervy day at Wembley.

Bring it home boys - COYS!!!!!

stevethespur likes this.
  2. stevethespur Active Member

Always feel Chelski are a tough team to beat, never thought we'd win under Redknapp in 2008 and the 5-3 win was a surprise. Finals are a one off and i've seen Tottenhams sides as hot favourites be outplayed by so called 'lesser' teams. Recent finals show that the underdogs can play well, and win ! We are the underdogs this time but one lucky bounce or stellar individual performance could lead to very memorable day. Come on you Spurs !

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button