Amongst the excitement, let's keep some calm

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, March 1, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Spurs fans the World over watched eagerly tonight hoping that Leicester City would drop points against West Brom. And they did. 2 of them in fact meaning that a Spurs win tomorrow at West Ham would put them top of the Premier league going into the North London derby on Saturday lunchtime.

Now, I don't want to be a party pooper but I've been scouring social media and blogs this evening and Spurs fans are going into meltdown. Some are already panicking that if we lose we will have blown it. Some are saying if we win then the title is ours to lose. Others are already suggesting we may not be good enough and "knowing Spurs they will bottle it", whilst others have lost all sense of reality saying that if we lose or draw it would a disaster.

I am as excited as the next person at the prospect of Spurs winning their first title in 55 years. Of course I am but I would like to offer a touch of reality to proceedings.
    If Spurs were not to finish in the top four this season from where we are now, that would indeed be a disaster and could see us lose our best players and see the good progress we are making all undone. I don't see that happening at all. This Spurs team is simply too good and well drilled.

Let me now come back to tomorrow night. If we win we go top. And that will be great and further add to our excitement and optimism.
    But, if we draw that will still be a decent outcome. We would still be 2 points behind Leicester but with our goal difference we would still be in a very strong position. Let's not forget that West Ham are chasing a top 6 finish to take to their new ground. Their ambitions are to still be in the Premier league when they go into the new season. They've achieved that aim so anything else would be a bonus. The idea of Spurs winning the league is just too much for them to conceive. And the team and fans will do their level best to try and make sure they dent our title challenge.
    Would a draw be a bad result. Don't be silly.

Worse case scenario for you. We lose. Okay, I don't really want to think about losing but I am trying to live in the real world for just a moment. Let's say we did lose. We would be 3 points off top spot. Even if Arsenal win they cannot go above us because of our vastly superior goal difference. We would still go into Saturday's North London Derby with the chance to go top!! If we have won tomorrow we would have the chance to extend our lead.

After years of false dawns, I totally get the excitement, the worries because the title is so close we can all smell it.

But let's not get get ahead of ourselves and start writing title winning eulogies. Let's not start writing the nearly stories.

I am confident of a win tomorrow but whatever happens, it will certainly not be the end of the world and it definitely will not be the end of our title challenge.

As ever, come on you Spurs!!

Nomadico and Mick like this.
  2. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

IM F*CKING SH*TTING MYSELF TO SLEEP

Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We just need to keep that cushion between us Scum n City whilst slowly reeling Leicester in.
    Stay in this shape with 5 to go then pounce would be ideal Imo.
    The must win game is Scum!

4. Tommy Guest

Great article once again and one game at a time that's all we have to think, if we start thinking too far ahead and that we might win the league then we will come unstuck! i'm excited but realistic and all we have to do is concentrate on one game that's all, nice and calm we have the team to win at Wet Spam and it's all what we do now game by game! lets not even think about the title! BTW can we make up a song for Toby? he has been absolutely immense this season and i'm embarrassed we never sing his name! Coys!

5. ALF CONN Guest

Let's just keep doing what we have been doing all season. Playing with a flourish and going out and beating the other lot! Let's keep daring and let's keep doing!! COYS!!

6. gary fox Guest

This is West Hams cup final and i think our trickiest game in the run-in. They have a decent side and a crowd that will be hostile and vocal. We're good enough to win but a draw would still be a good result. It's interesting that of all the chants at WHL I haven't heard "Now you're gonna believe us....we're gonna win the League". That would be tempting fate and I've waited 55 years for the title We have a great chance this year but tonight's game ...or even Saturday's.....isn't the decider. The title will be won with 75 points and we've enough games to get there.

7. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Common sense at last let us keep our feet on the ground and enjoy the moment..COYS

Mattj78 likes this.
  8. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

It's not very often I feel the nerves at this time in the morning of any normal game....but this is going to be a night of all nights. Last game at the Boleyn, us going top if they lose to us, it's going to be a heavy night. Not sure if I want to take a live feed or take the pain of Sky and social media.....decisions, decisions.

That said we are doing all the right things - just keep it there lads, do not react to the intimidating atmosphere you will experience, take it in and be energised by it, you are good enough to do that.

COYS

Last edited: March 2, 2016
    Nomadico likes this.
  9. guesty Guest

........that's brilliant!

West Ham will play well and it will be tough to beat them. But our team is full of confidence and never give up. I can see us being too strong over the whole 90 minutes.
    Some credit has to go to us fans as well. we don't panic in the crowd. we know as well that we can now play for 90 minutes. Pochy mentioned it.....and its massive for the team.
    so lets all....players and supporters....carry on as we are and win games together

COYS!

Nomadico and Mattj78 like this.
  10. johnnyhrvat Guest

I for one was cheering Leicester on - I would have rather kept chasing them as they keep winning, and lose those hangers on.
    We go tonight for three points - not for our position in the league.
    Having seen some of the Sunderland game at the weekend, is it my imagination that makes it look like WH have narrowed their pitch significantly?

Mattj78 likes this.
  11. Felon82 Well-Known Member

How far we've come from that last minute Dier winner at the caravan site.
    Lets sign off our utter dominance at theirs with a win.

COYS !!!!

12. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Chadli to start??He is a far better super Sub,I would like to have seen Son start,if Ali is fit for the bench then he should start, anyway a win for us COYS...

Jonesy likes this.
  13. burnt Guest

A big thing tonight will be keeping our cool , don't get sucked into doing something crazy , easier said then done in this type of contest .. keep 11 players on the pitch and we,ve every chance of doing these pikies .... C.O.Y.S ......

14. Bazza47

There is one consolation, if you can say that after losing to Wet Spam, it's that The Gooners and City lost...

From the broken 5Live coverage, we didn't turn up tonight. No first half shots and missed second half chances. Bum, Bum, Bum.

Bring on tippy tappy.......COYS

Jonesy likes this.
  15. Bazza47

Just watched the Sky match choice. The goal was all to do with Chadli. Terrible pass to Davies which gave away the corner, then he lost Antonio...plus nobody on the post. Don't think I can watch any more tonight.

Chugger Chadli definitely a risk as a starter in a cauldron like the Boleyn tonight.

We will just have to recover and bury the Gooners on Saturday.

COYS

16. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Hugely disappointed tonight. Like u say Bazza, we just didn't turn up.

Irritating as it is, we can't expect to be on top form every match. Only the 2nd defeat away all season too - so some perspective needed from the fans, especially as Woolwich and Citeh dropped points. Shame Manure won :-(

Saturday is massive now - we can't lose, no way. Let's put the typically "Spursy" month of March to bed.

Get Mousa back ASAP Poch!

COYS

Bazza47 likes this.
  17. Bazza47

Our best side with Moussa and Alli stands head and shoulders above the likes of Mason, Son, Chugger. Let's hope they both make it Saturday.

Jonesy likes this.
  18. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Agree Bazza, 100%.

Woolwich will now be bang up for us Saturday - proper crunch time for them too. Could u imagine if they lose 3 PL games in a row, this time of the season! It would be perfect :). In Arsene they rust...

Tonight wouldn't seem so bad then!

Bazza47 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button