Adebayor still collecting his Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, December 3, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

I see your point Notnats, but I actually like what Poch has tried to do in terms of combining EL & EPL duties this year.

I think he has learnt an invaluable lesson from last year, when I thought he tried to make TOO MANY changes to the starting 11's that played in each individual competition - which in turn creates:

• A feeling that there is an A & B team within the club, which can lead to the divides within the squad, demotivation and a sense that you aren't valued by your manager (until a injury or two arises, that is)
    • A belief that one competition is of greater importance than the other. After all how can you justify saying "we want to win every cup we're involved in" when you consistently leave ALL of your 'best players' out of the starting 11 in a particular competition? This can inturn affect the consistency in individual/team performances. And if you NEVER start in the 'A' team regardless of your displays in the 'B' , the temptation is to think "Why bother. The gaffer clearly doesn't fancy me".
    Now, of course there are moments when you need to rotate the team, but I trust that Poch will know when the best time to take that course of action is.

In the Chelsea game for example, although the lads didn't quite look at their sharpest/ freshest, I still thought we were the better team throughout against a Blues side that had a couple of days extra rest AND played one of their best games of the current campaign.

But, as far as last season goes, I DON'T think too much can be read into to team selections.

Poch was tasked with MAINLY working with what he had in terms of personnel (both in midfield and attack), and identifying those he could use to take the club forward.

The Mason/ Bentaleb axis was more of a statement of TRUST by a manager who clearly didn't fancy the idea of having to deploy Capoue or Paulinho in the engine room on any long-term basis.

What partnering Mason & Bentelab also did was make a statement to the rest of the squad, saying "reputations will count for nothing if you can't perform the way that I want you to". It reminded EVERYONE that the focus must be the team, as opposed to any individuals.

So, Pochettino having the courage to play those two together ARGUABLY could be considered as his biggest/ best decision he has made to date, at Spurs. As it sent a CLEAR message to the rest of players, and the fans, of what he demands from his squad.

To be fair to the two players in question, though, I thought they were EXCEPTIONAL, considering their levels of experience in the English top-flight and the amount of games they had to play (internationals, cup and league ). And I don't think it was any coincidence that Spurs' season started to follow an upward curve upon Mason & Bentaleb's pairing in the middle of the park.

I suppose, you could EASILY say that both Mason & Bentaleb were KEY to Pochettino getting his Spurs side to CONSISTENTLY adopt the style of play that we are currently seeing the rewards of, now!

Listen, both lads are class operators who are still, yet, to fulfill their CONSIDERABLE potential as players, so I find any notion that they can't replace either Alli or Dier (or even both) a little knee-jerk, to say the least.

Like I ALWAYS say, places in the team SHOULD be earned, not simply given.

It happens all too frequently in football but people are quick to forget in favour of being immersing themselves in the present (day).

Pochettino has long PREFERRED the idea of a orthodox DM. He had Schneirderlin (Davies, Cork,) and SIGNED Wanyama, at Southampton.

The problem was at Spurs in his 1st season was that he DIDN'T have a (natural/ experienced) DM at the club that he TRUSTED to do what he asked (for 90 mins). He must of concluded that they lacked the mentality, attitude and/or the tactical nous.

He does now...

Last edited: December 5, 2015
    notnats and Nomadico like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button