Adebayor still collecting his Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, December 3, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

So, at long last Tottenham Hotspur got rid of their bad egg. The self professed mercenary. Yes, Adebayor went on his way with a little pay off.

So it is with huge surprise and even a touch of anger to find out he is still being paid by the club. His contract was terminated so I assumed he had been paid a vast sum just to get his attitude away from the club.
    But no. He is still being paid 100K by Tottenham Hotspur Football Club!!! A week!!!

And he will be paid this until he finds a new club. No wonder he has hardly been offering his services to anyone.

Now, I have only learned of this via rumours but if this is true it is truly ridiculous. How on earth can we still be paying this man?! He wasn't worth that when he WAS wandering around the pitch doing nothing.

Whoever agreed to still pay him that fee must be deluded.

I am sure the money would be better invested in the current squad and adding some extra quality rather providing an ex player with party money.

Nomadico likes this.
  2. burnt Guest

Well at the end of the day a contract is a contract and you have to come to an agreement on termination .. Weather thats payment in full or partial on dismissal or keep paying wages weekly or monthly until the duration of said contract is finished is something both parties are going to have to come to agreement over .. I think its pretty plain to see their would be no compromise from his side hence we,re in the situation been reported in the media over the last few days if its true ... Pretty self explanatory really and a horrible position for the club to be in but what else can you do .....

Nomadico and Mattj78 like this.
  3. Tony Guest

Adabayor was under contract with Spurs until the end of the season - he refused to move and would not do a deal for a pay off - he wanted all his contract payed off - which however unpalatable is his right. Unlike Gomes & Bentley, Spurs did not wan't him turning up at the club anymore and being a bad influence, so they could either pay him a lump sum to the value of his contract or pay him his weekly wage in the hope he could find another club before the season ended who would pay all or some of his wages - obviouly they chose the later. I don't really see what else Spurs could do. Spurs only paid £5 million for a top player ( when he can be bothered ) in his prime - the risk being his character - it didn't work out - but unless you have good rason you cannot just terminate a players contract.

4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Well its the old buy cheap end up paying more in the long run.
    It was a contract only a fool would have given him at the cost and length of time.
    It seems Ming has this knack of never spending but when he does put money forward or wages its 9 times out of 10 a car crash.
    Thats what you get with a numpty in charge, just see it as a fee to keep Adebarndoor away from the club its easier that way.

5. king paul Guest

You write as if all this is fact. It isnt, there is no proof whatsoever that he is still being paid by Spurs.

And even if he is still getting his basic salary paid by the club, it will be a long, long way shy of £100k a week, unless he is miraculously picking up full win and goal bonuses without actually playing - which seems rather unlikely

6. king paul Guest

Shall we delve into the archives and fish out some quotes you doubtless made when Adebayor was scoring goals for the club? No doubt along the lines of 'best signing ever, we mugged city right off there'. Or perhaps some quotes from just before we signed him? No doubt along the lines of 'just sign a fking striker, whatever it takes!'

And FYi, Levy has worked a miracle at Spurs. Most of us remember the dark days before he took over, from basically going bust under Venables / Scholar, to perennial lower midtable dross under Sugar - being humiliated by Arsenal and chelsea at every turn

The Cockerel likes this.
  7. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Hard to understand how this Leech continues to **** us dry,but a contract is binding signed by us and the Leech so we have to pay it,we must just insure this type of contract is never used again..

Mattj78 likes this.
  8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Think you'll find i always said he was a great stop gap player (during his loan) but we needed a younger, hungrier, less baggage player to lead the line at the time for the future.
    You will also find that i have praised Ade where praise was due but i have always questioned his atitude and desire.

So no you will not find any 'best signing ever, mugged citeh off there' quotes.

Oh dear Paul awkward.........

9. Mattj78

Slight problem with your statement. I say that this is based on rumour and "if" this is true.
    Hardly writing as if it was all fact is it?

Felon82 and Nomadico like this.
  10. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

I gave Ade the benifit of the doubt just the same as I give it to any player who pulls on Spurs shirt, that is until they give me reason not to.
    Ade was a risk when we signed him but he scored goals and even on a high wage 5m looked worth a punt.
    Unfortunatly the man is a mercenary and not interested in playing so let him rot on the sidelines im glad the club have cut him adrift. Once this contract is up he will see what his real value is.

Mattj78 and Nomadico like this.
  11. Nomadico Well-Known Member

So far this is all just paper talk maybe it is time the club(Levy)Breaks his silence and tells the fan base if this is true or not,if it is then he needs to tell us why..

12. ozspur Guest

I might not be the brightest spark but i cant see why, if this is true, the big fuss. Yes no 1 wants to pay that kind of money to a player who has otherwise cut all ties to the club but a contract is a legally binding agreement by 2 or more parties. He proved enough during his loan spell that he could score goals and was worth taking a chance on as we were finding it hard to attract top class strikers. £100000/wk is also not a crazy amount for a proven goal scorer. Unfortunately as we all know he wasnt the right person and we have ourselves to blame as much as he is to blame.
    Sometimes we must take risks to prosper. Some will be great and others will fail but we must learn from them all so we can make more educated decisions in the future.
    Levy has done great for the club financially and we no he hates to throw money around so my guess is that there would have been some persuasion from the manager etc.
    Also ades original loan deal was a great bit of business in my opinion. Just wish it ended there.
    Thats my say. Sorry for babbling on

Nomadico likes this.
  13. ozspur Guest

Just wanted to add that i do think its wrong tho on his behalf to hold the club at ransom like he is. A bigger man would have cut ties. Claimed a pay out of some sort and moved onto another club to continue his career and try to prove to the club and the footballing community that he can be a world class striker?

Nomadico likes this.
  14. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

This originated - as I saw it - from the daily mail. Speculative, and written to sell. Until there is cold, hard proof that he is still earning that money - I believe we gave him the lump sum to pay off his contract - I'd stick to reputable papers.

Mattj78 and Nomadico like this.
  15. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

For me, Levy is, without doubt, the single most important person at Spurs (apart from The Ram of course...;))

With him at the helm, Spurs will ALWAYS be in safe, shrewd and ambitious, hands!

Exciting times (just doesn't do the feeling I've got, justice)

BRING ON THE BAGGIES!!!!

http://www.london24.com/sport/footb...fence_of_spurs_chairman_daniel_levy_1_4337710

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-stronger-position-ever-boss-6955878?

PS. IF Spurs are indeed still paying Ade, I would imagine it's probably just a case of giving him the money he is owed through the termination of his contract in installments, as opposed to a lump sum.

In short, it is likely to be the result of the way the deal is structured - to ensure that Spurs remain prudent in the manner with which they manage their money.

Last edited: December 4, 2015
  16. Mattj78

Looking at Spurs fixtures from tomorrow and the festive period, I have to say there is a real chance for Spurs to be in the top 4 mix come the new year.
    Having said that, there are always some very strange results over Xmas and new year. Hopefully we won't be on the end of any of them.

Now let's boing those Baggies!!!!

Nomadico and Ramos43 like this.
  17. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Agreed. On paper, at least, Spurs look like they have the chance to rack up some points over the festive period should they maintain and improve upon their showings, thus far this season.

The squad has held up well, up till now, and with only a few weeks until the opening of the transfer window, Spurs are approaching the busiest part of the season in good shape.

Strangely, injuries & suspensions have actually HELPED Spurs this term, with both occurrences coming at good times, and in positions where Spurs are particularly strong, in terms of depth.

When I say injuries & suspensions have helped Spurs this season, I mean that it has allowed Poch to utilize his squad, finding solutions from within the club and giving opportunities to a wider pool of talent to establish themselves/ play 1st team football.

i.e. Would Dele Alli have played so many EPL games had Mason been fit from the start of the season?

Would Dier have had the chance to display his IMMENSE potential, in midfield, if Bentaleb had been available?

Injuries to Chadli, Eriksen, Son and Lamela at various times this term have allowed Dembele to opportunities to play a starring role in the Spurs team this year.

Davies began the season at LB, got his minutes, only to be replaced by the ever improving Danny Rose in recent months.

What I'm saying is, the way things have worked out, has meant Poch hasn't REALLY had to make any MAJOR calls in terms of team selection since the opening couple of games of the season.

Now of course, I'm NOT saying that he hasn't made big decisions, and I'm sure as hell NOT saying he is afraid to.

More that the stars seem to be aligning as far as Spur' fortunes with inj/sus are comcerned.

Take Dele Alli's recent suspension that allowed Ryan Mason, who has been VERY impressive this year, to get some much needed game time following his recent return from injury and play back 2 back matches. Ryan wasn't left coming on for cameo apps for months on end and therefore almost instantly felt like a immersed back into what is going on in the team at the moment.

That suspension also allowed young Alli the chance to take a break, refocus and miss his football, again.

Do NOT underestimate how important these little occurrences are for the mentality, moral and motivation of the squad. Not to mention the freshness of the players.

Like I said, Chadli got injured, Dembele, Son and Lamela all benefited.... But when Chadli returns, it presents Poch with the perfect, chance to both rest and rotate others within the squad.

Bentaleb will feel almost like a new signing when he returns, given the amount of time he has had out, and will further strengthen a well-balanced/ well equipped squad. And going into Xmas, Spurs seem set to have a full (ish) compliment of players to choose from which could prove crucial.

What the manner of these injuries and suspensions will have taught Poch, the fans and the players alike is, we have the depth of quality to be able to seriously compete in 3 out of 4 competitions we were qualified to play in.

Tough game vs WBA. We will need to be at our best to claim the points!

18. burnt Guest

If there's one word that cant be associated with the league this season its : predictable : .. Be wary of these so called kind fixtures but as always we live in hope .... C.O.Y.S ......

19. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Good post as usual Ramos, as someone who is a firm believer in sensible rotation I would have preferred that it was rotation and not so much injuries and suspensions that have helped us this season but I will concede that sometimes the end justifies the means and we have so far had a decent season. Players like Dier, Alli and Lamela have done well this season and played a lot of games and having a forced break may well have done them good but im still concerned when Poch plays 8 players twice in 48 hours against a Chelsea that were there for the taking, Jose came looking for the draw and he got it. 2 points dropped.
    That injuries and suspensions have changed our season does ask the question that if Poch didn't have to make these changes would we have seen him persevere with Mason and Bentaleb as our preffered MF pairing as he did last year when we had no protection and conceded too many goals.
    Last year Poch made it obvious that he didn't fancy a real DM or HM instead opting for two MF that were neither attacking or defensive, for me this was a disaster, we were slow and predictable and every team that we played were able to open us up and attack us at will. Players like Dembele sat rotting on the bench.
    Fast forward to this year and Poch has made the decision to move Dier into the middle, brilliant decision as well as Alli alongside. Dier is fast becoming a solid player that gives us real steel in the middle as well as having a pass on him as well, Alli is a player that can fight it out in the middle but with Dier backing up is allowed the freedom to move forward. For me these two players have given the team balance and the ability to move the ball and dictate the tempo of the game.
    So, does Poch really deserve credit here for these necessary changes ? or did we just get lucky ?
    Harry will forever take the credit for the rise of Gareth Bale moving from LB to MF when in fact it was a decision that was made thru injuries and necessity .
    For me although im a believer in rotation, worst case scenario is Poch reinstates Bentaleb and Mason when fit.

20. Mattj78

Rotation will always divide opinion. Only last season we were bemoaning the fact that from Thursday to Sunday the team was always completely different.
    What Poch has clearly learnt is that consistency helps the team succeed. I agree that playing players too much can lead to exhaustion but at present Poch is clearly trying to keep a winning team together and playing together as much as possible.
    Whilst it is working it is great but the real test comes when there is a blip.

It's very much a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

As for Bentaleb and Mason, other than injuries, I cannot see a point when either would currently warrant starting ahead of the current starting eleven. Both are good players but neither are better than Dembele, Dier et al at present.

Ramos43 and Nomadico like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button