A Striker, my kingdom for a striker. ( or 2 )

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, July 19, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Mid table or worse with current squad.

But the books will balance so that's nice.

Felon82 likes this.
  2. Spurporter Well-Known Member

What makes you think that Spurs are done? Strikers are second from the end to goal keepers in terms of coaching needs. They do not need to learn the system as much as MFs and defenders. Therefore, strikers may be acquired late in the window, after the squad starts its training. Is there any elite or even second tier back end player left on the market? They are all taken. And Spurs has gotten a few from the middle of that pack. Middle of the striker pack is still available. Do you think Levy should go for an elite striker? Well, he did two summers ago by getting Soldado. LFC got Balotelli with same result. Enough of that. Benteke is near those two and Spurs tried to get him, but no way he is better then Soldado of 2013, he had a higher price tag, but most of all, Benteke did not want to be in competition with Harry, knowing that Rogers plays with 2 men up front. I don't believe well established player could be had for the same reason, i.e. player has to be willing to quit his current club to facilitate transfer. It must be either Money of Future. Kane presence is enough to question anyone's future, while money is something Levy is not throwing at players anymore. Hence, likes of Berahino or Austin must wait, unless they want to be at lesser clubs. And so must we.

Last edited: July 26, 2015
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Some of the ideology surrounding the striker situation is baffling. Kane had a wonder season last year, this could be a flash in the pan, he could get injured, he may have a severe dip in form, defenders may work him out.....
    for people to go on like we should not buy any strikers or should only buy a striker happy to sit on the bench n maybe play if needs be is ridiculous.
    You buy players to improve the team wether thats to give a healthier competition or possibly change systems etc.
    Jod had it right earlier, as we play 1 rigid formation with 1 up top we need that type of striker else weve another soldado situation.

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Felon, no one would offer 40 million for a player that would disappear next season. His form is monitored daily as we are less than 2 weeks from season start. Kane might will have a not so good year, but complete disaster is unlikely. For, god forbid, that there will be January window. Up until then Soldado could cover or, if sold, another striker or two that will be signed before the window end. (Berahino to Spurs for 15 million per Express, to be completed today)

Last edited: July 27, 2015
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

There have been plenty of 1 hit wonders, i hope this isnt the case with kane obviously and he does posses all the right atributes to continue in this vein.
    But my point is that he could so easily break his leg - then what? Put Soldado back in as a Lone striker? a role he has failed miserably in and will continue to do so.
    A healthy squad needs a couple/few strikers vying for the top spot, not just 1 the risk is too high.
    Berahino is just rumours at present but anyone that thinks Brom will let him go for 15mil in todays climate are in dream world, 15mil in football today is peanuts for a young english prospect- just look at sterling etc

Spurporter likes this.
  6. Mattj78

Well it looks like Levy has done awesome business again. I actually take everything I have ever said about the man back. At last it looks like he has offloaded Adebayor. ON LOAN and has agreed to subsidise HALF of his 100k a week wages!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Genius. Master businessman. Well done Daniel,

7. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I agree with all you saying, except there is no player to compete with or to replace Harry Kane should disaster occur, unless Levy spends over 40 million. If that is what you want him to do, I have no arguments. I would love that as a supporter, but sure must condemn such an action as a reasonable man I believe I am.
    Spurs try to stay within price bracket they set for themselves. In Berahino case Levy should brake that bracket. After Konoplianka was lost to Seville he might do that.

Last edited: July 29, 2015
  8. Mattj78

People say Spurs have a bracket and should be commended for that. I would buy that argument if it wasn't for the fact that we paid Adebayor a 100k a week. And still we can't get him off the books fully.
    We choose to pay a certain wage and no more.
    I agree we don't want to cripple ourselves but we could still increase our cap without doing so and give us a better chance of signing the sort of quality we need.

9. big fran Guest

With all the will in the world there is no way spurs will pay 15m plus for an out and out CF to simply fill in just in case on the off chance that Kane suffers injury fatigue lack of form or a combination of the above. It won't happen and spurs haven't the finances for it to happen. A young starlet maybe,an ageing veteren maybe but not much more than that. A striker who can fill a variety of roles I'm sure is the target.
    The Hernandez link is a frightening one for me. Defoe mark II. A goal scorer yes. Talented yes. Unfortunately the type of striker that are victims of modern day football in an era of the one up top systems. Not strong enough to hold up play. Not technically gifted enough to link up play and do anything but poach for goals in and around 18yrds. If at a reported 7m he is happy to play as an impact sub and play in the lesser cups and early rounds of other competitions then im all for it but cannot see to many scenarios where he would get any real serious playing time. Berahinho and miralles should be the real targets here. Land one its been a good window. Land two a very very good one. Add a top deep lying playmaker def mid its been excellant business with the deadwood moved on. Keeping kane lloris and imo dembele. The basic starting 11 kept together adding some good signings together will bring stability and continuity much needed.

Spurporter likes this.
  10. Mattj78

I think if Poch sticks to his draconian one up front set up, we will struggle anyway. We lack width in that formation and if he carries on with it, forget the top four again this season.

Felon82 likes this.
  11. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Playing wide is affective, but often not effective. However, you may be right, Matt. The time will show.

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button