Top SIX and some silver will do!!

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, July 11, 2014.

Share This Page

1. danny.d New Member

I agree about "expectations and reality"., but that hasn't stopped the other lot buying world class players to fulfill their expectations and ambitions, if poch is looking at long term solutions, then im my eyes that's not acceptible, because long term is a cop out, we've got the money, albeit no C/L next season. Sell the Dead wood, pay the wages the high end players want, and challenge for the top spot & C/L.
    Even whinger's willing to exceed he's wage cap and pay Khedira 150k a week- i'm sure he won't be concerned about going to fortress upton park to face a team of budget players.

Felon82 likes this.
  2. big fran Guest

I don't think we have the money in all fairness with a net spend of around a million over the last five years. Remember there is a stadium that needs building to the tune of around 400m and I'd imagine the money from the sales of berba modric and a few fringe players has been stockpiled toward.. Arsenal are now only able to compete at the top end of the market due to the completion of the Emirates and may add is all paid for. If we can carry on to knock about in the top six until we have the same platform until the new stadium arrives I think we've done well.. If a piece of silverware comes along even better!

3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Sixth will be a decent return, but I do think that Arsenal signing quality players suggests they will still be fourth while we will not.
    Evidently we have improved in the last thirteen years, but how many times have we finished above ARSENAL in that time??

4. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

We finish 6th placed for the first time in god knows how long, and all of a sudden we're a '6th placed team'.

United finished 7th last, what does that make them? Anybody can suffer having a bad season, that doesn't mean that the misfortunes of last season will translate themselves in the following campaign. Whose to say another big team won't endure a difficult campaign next seaon?

It appears some have been scarred by the events of last season, which is understandable, but to suggest that Spurs are destined/should be pleased with a 6th place finish, WITHOUT so much as a ball being kicked, is nothing more than fear dressed up as realism!

I say, grow a pair!!!!

Do you think Hugo Lloris signed a new deal because he has set his sights on a 6th place finish?

Do you think Hugo Lloris signed a new deal because a 6th placed finish is the height of his ambition at Spurs, this season, or any other?

A 'winner'/ competitor with any sense of ambition, sets out to WIN, not finish 2nd/3rd or 6th as the case may be, and I expect MOST of the lads in the changing room to be of a similar mind.

The talent within the squad is IMMENSE, and should Pochettino be able to extract the best form from players such as Lennon, Townsend, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela, Holtby, Dembele and Sigurdsson, then their will be no shortage of creativity and productivity in the forward areas.

Last edited: July 15, 2014
  5. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I think Lloris has been told we are aiming for top four but I think it maybe out of our reach. The season will tell but if we are not top four Lloris won't be honouring any contracts!

6. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Whilst I firmly believe we WILL get, at least, top 4/CL football, next season -IF Spurs did miss out, and yet show progress in terms of results/performances, as well as win some silverware, I don't believe Lloris will leave.

If Lloris didn't believe in the clubs long-term vision, why would he sign a legally binding contract for the length of five years?

I understand Bale and Modric did similar things before attempting to hold a gun to the clubs head by their antics, but the FACT is the club were always in control of that situation due to the length of time they still had on their contracts.

Listen, if a player wants to leave the club, and cannot be persuaded to stay of their own free will, then I would sell anyway. If they aren't going to happy, proud or honoured to represent Tottenham Hotspur then I would rather they don't! Why would I?

And with Levy being Levy, and being of similar mind to myself, we can be assured that any outgoing transfer will be dealt with on his and the club terms.

It's merely a cliche that contracts don't mean anything. Most clubs just decide it is not in their best interests to keep a disinfected/demotivated player on their books, and in their dressing rooms.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button