PLAYER RATINGS: Spurs 3:2 West Ham

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, November 19, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Well, this report could have been different. I wouldn't say this was a great performance but we used to lose games like this on a regular basis. Spurs never gave up and this match could be a really important point in our season. 0 points quickly became 1 and ended up with 3 points. Winks was superb and Kane was back with a bang. As for Eriksen and Janssen? TAXI!!!!

Lloris- 7- Distribution still an issue and hadn't done his homework for the Lanzini penalty.
    Lanzini hits his penalties low to the keepers right pretty much every time. Should do better.

Walker- 6- Some of his crossing was very poor and his ball control at times is really shoddy. Frustrating at times.

Rose- 7- Got forward much better in the second half but his final ball was frustrating.

Dier- 7- Steady game although the most shaky the Spurs defence have looked in the league thus far.

Vertonghen-7- His diagonal balls were about the only good thing about Spurs in the first half . Fairly solid in the game although slow to react for the first West Ham goal.

Wanyama-8- Worked tirelessly. Better tackling and less silly fouling. Superb game.

Winks- 9- Superb. Effort, skill. Passing belied his young age and deserved his goal. Well done lad and another exciting prospect. Also endeared himself to the home faithful with his celebration and sheer passion. Kane was superb but this Harry gets my man of the match.

Eriksen- 4- Truly abysmal again. His passing and work rate are so poor that I simply cannot understand how he keeps starting games. Really getting annoyed with him now.

Dembele- 7- Not his best game to be fair. He was tackled far too easily too often today.

Kane-9
    - Back in the goals and improved as the game went on. The difference today although my man if the match was the other Harry. Great all round performance.

Janssen-3- He is starting to make Soldado look like an accomplished Premier league player. Yes, he holds the ball up well but his overall contribution is just not there. His foul for the penalty was stupid and naive. I'm sorry to say it but his Spurs career will be short.

Son- 7 - Added energy to the game and was instrumental in turning the tide. A great effort and contribution.

Alli-7 - Also added energy to the team. Did his job well when asked to come on.

Pochettino -8 In the first half he got it very wrong but he showed us all why he is the manger and we are not in the 2nd half . He got Spurs playing at pace and width and his substitutions made a real difference today. The sheer resilience from the players is what Poch is all about.

Sheer fight and never say die attitude won the day for Spurs. A much needed win and in the end thoroughly deserved 3 points.
    As ever Come on You Spurs!!!!

71yid and Jonesy like this.
  2. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Get out of jail card,we should never have been in this situation,and it is time for Eriksen to have a spell on the bench,he get's worse every game and we have other options,where was Noukdou??we could have used his pace,as for Janssen life is hard in the PL I think and hope he will come good maybe not this season it is to soon to write him off,3 points off the top,a good day..COYS

3. Roskoe Guest

Really harsh critique of Janssen! He played well, worked tirelessly, looked to score when he could.. WHU played well defensively. Silly penalty which makes me give him a 6 but if not for that he was a solid 7 with the energy he brought to the attack. I bet you said the same about Son last season..

Bazza47 and Mattj78 like this.
  4. converse Guest

Erikson should be dropped.All hail the harrys'

Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.
  5. sanjeev Guest

Son - made two telling contributions. His directness is great. At times he gets caught out but he gets to the byline which is why he is such a valuable player. He has to start every week. Erikssen, however, needs to get out of the way other players. Great that Ali is back again. And Kane goals means Spurs wins!!!

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Nomadico has it right 'get out of jail', the win was the most important thing but how we managed it im still bemused.
    Had it not been for mike jasper carrot dean giving ridiculous penalties it couldve been a lot different.
    We were awful 1st half and although we improved 2nd half our attack is way too predictable the amount of times we chose the sideward pass on the edge of the box, at 1 point we passed the ball from 1 side to the the other 4 times until we gave it away its soooo clueless.
    We couldve just as easily lost this game the result papers over the Cracks for now.

71yid, Bazza47, Nomadico and 2 others like this.
  7. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Brutal on Janssen Matt! 3...

Anyhow, the penalty was stupid but all that matters is the result; 3 points were absolutely needed tonight, especially with United, Pool and the shower down the road all dropping points. I would have had a major strop on with a draw let alone a defeat! It was Spammers at home ffs!

Overall, a poor performance but we do have a never say die attitude under Poch - which gives u half a chance.

We need to up our game and kick on now. 12 played, 6 Wins and 6 draws - up that win % boyz!!!

#COYS #TTID

Bazza47 likes this.
  8. Thfc forever Guest

We were well lucky today! thought there penalty was soft(every corner has these physical holdings) it was that Jansson lost his man too easily when he should of been more goal side! When we attacked with pace just before we scored the equaliser to make it 1-1 we were brilliant and they couldn't handle us(this was down to Son who turned it round for us when he came on) why can't we play more often like this with more urgency to blow the opposition away and why the hell is Son on the fookin bench??? it was when we played our usual slow boring possession play that usually went through the middle and was going back too often West Ham were sitting back happerly and knew what was coming and had us contained quite easily! anyway glad for the 2 Harry's, Kane back to what he does best god we have missed him and Winks reminds me of a young Iniesta he outshone Eriksen today by a country mile(bit worried about Eriksen tbh) !! no bull Winks is fooking A and going to be top drawer! you heard it hear first haha. glad we are still unbeaten and the run of draws is over, Coys!

Bazza47 likes this.
  9. I was critical of people previously being too negative Today I am the reverse. I thought we were pants today!

Harry winks brilliant, Dier was ok and if I didn't have the last 5 minutes to consider I would have said Son was a headless chicken and Harry was off the pace

However Son at least gives a chance if something happening

Dembele has been supreme- today he was terrible- I think he read Wanyama's glowing interview about him and it went to his head. He had a shocking game

Wanyama wasn't much better- fine defending but gives the ball away too much - he needs to stick to defensive work

Eriksen- he needs to do some strength work , his passes were all 20% too weak

Deli looked good when he came on

Jansen works hard but looks for fouls too often

But we did manage to gain a win from the jaws of defeat so hopefully this will be the catalyst we needed

Interesting to know what the first team will be once Toby and Lamela are fit. There are quite a few fighting for the midfield roles now

Bazza47 likes this.
  10. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

Poor performance but a great result, sometimes luck is more important. Janssen's time will come, I think he needs a bit more time to get fitter and adjust to the league....also for the boys to adapt to his game. At least now he's taking the chances and his movement just needs improving in the box. It's great to have Kane back and Winks, love his positive game; always looking to pass forward and also make runs into the box - great goal!!

I agree Eriksen should do better, but there's no one on our bench with the quality of Eriksen when's playing well. Earlier in the match there wasn't a lot of space or movement for him to pass the ball into. Poch's tactics held the team back. When playing against 3 cb defense you want to spread them with pace at the wing, rather than congest the middle with no wide players. When Son and Alli came on, we were then able to spread the field and create gaps in their defense. That where all 3 goals and chances came from. I credit Poch for adapting later on in the match but that's something he ought to do earlier, we have a deep squad and we need to utilize all our strength. Anyways, a win is a win!!!! COYS!!

Bazza47 likes this.
  11. johnnyhrvat Guest

Matt, giving 3 to Janssen is just venting your emotions straight after a game. Lamela would have got a 6 or 7 for the same performance.
    After a 3-5-2 with wingbacks giving us width in the last game, we resorted to four-at-the-back, who passed the ball amongst themselves, slowly going backwards until Lloris was forced to thump the ball forward to anyone in a claret shirt.
    Wanyama is a useful player (not sure about an 8 though) but Dier gives us a lot more flexibility in central midfield - he drops back into defence allowing the wingbacks to get forward. When we did start getting Rose and Walker forward we got caught on the break two or three times because we were left with only two CBs defending - Wanyama does not provide the cover required to do this. We were just lucky that Bilić Boys wasted the chances to finish off the game.
    Anyhow, the win was all important and we learnt good and bad things, and won ugly!

Bazza47 likes this.
  12. Big fran Guest

Look,we all see games different to each other. I tuned in late so didn't see how we lined up but seemed some sort of diamond/442 version and agree we were not great today but certainly not poor.
    Playing that system so narrow against a team with wingbacks is suicidal and why after our last performance didn't match up systems so it becomes a straight up who has the most quality beggars belief from the Argentine tactician. Playing a left footed central mid wide right also beyond me as he's our best player and this experiment didn't work the beginning of last year. Our season took off once dembele played regular in cm with dier.
    As for Janssen I see a boy running his nuts off for the cause desperate to play for our club. I'm gonna judge the lad when he starts hiding and more importantly missing chance after chance like soldado did. We created soldado chances but janssen is playing in a side that is clearly not..
    I felt we dominated the first twenty and the whole second half without creating enough, putting poor crosses in that were easy to defend and didn't put enough crosses in or early enough when in advanced positions walker the main culprit.
    At present we are seeing different personnel and different formations game to game which indicates poch has lost his way a little in terms of his best side. Many see us as a team with no plan B etc but a plan A is just that for a reason especially at home. Its your default system and best 11 because it generally works. By al means change during the game if necessary or tweak things but we almost started with a plan C or D yesterday at home v a team the quality of an average west ham not a barca or Munich etc. Far to much respect IMO and the game changes when we revert to type. Familiarity breeds success.

Bazza47 likes this.
  13. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Well put Fran, i never saw Soldado put himself about like Vincent he just wanted it on a plate n when he got it he couldnt finish then just skulked

Mattj78, Bazza47 and Nomadico like this.
  14. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Matt either you're smoking something, or I watched a different match. Those ratings are over generous on most, harsh on Eriksen and Janssen.

Hugo did nothing for his 7, so it's 7 for turning up. I felt we were under pressure every time WH came at the back four. Roll on Toby returning. Dier's not a CB. Full backs were below par, particularly Walker who never took his full back on once.

Winks started well sure, but disappeared and Janssen's effort, superbly saved by Randoph gave him the chance. Eriksen slipped in Son for the equaliser. Moussa was out of position as well as off his game. Was Kane looking off the pace.....two goals when you're like that, but I didn't see much good before he tap in and penalty

I'm not as negative as some on Janssen, Eriksen frustrates. Why does he not turn and run, instead of passing it back to who he got it from.

Did I see somebody liken Winks to Iniesta.......closer to Tom Carroll than Iniesta for me. Early doors but 9/10. Not for me.

Poch an 8.....how? What was the shape, anybody know the plan, no pace, no chances.

My kids had the tickets, so I watched it with my step son, a Hammer. When they took off Payet, he said we're going to F'ing lose now........we were very lucky.

COYS

Spurporter likes this.
  15. Nomadico Well-Known Member

I'm sure Janssen will come good when he has had time to settle the problem is we the fans demand the finished product from the first kick,the other trend we have is as soon as one of our own play's a dream debut like Winks yesterday we start to compare him with Messi and the like,young heads are easy to over load,Bentalab springs to mind he thought he was godlike and could do no wrong alas we all saw what happened,being in the spotlight day in day out can affect the kid's wish to continue the hard work that get's them the first team spot,a calming voice from the older team members helps,as a club we can not afford to spend millions every year in the hope we buy the right player and then end up with Dross like Sissoko a waste of space and a waste of money better spent elsewhere,Janssen cost half his fee and is a far better player if given time,Eriksen who is a world class player who can turn a match around with a single kick,the problem is it happens very rarely and he takes up a space that a very hungry youngster would jump at,Poch has a number of player's who think there place in the team is automatic and hard work is for other's to do,Poch need's to solve this problem and then maybe we can start turning all the draws into wins.....COYS..

Spurporter and Bazza47 like this.
  16. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Son was the Game-Changer-off-da-Bench Poch was so much criticized here for. I'd give him 9. He won us this game, not Kane, who was quite mediocre by Kane's standards. Winks was good, but I can't recall a single pass forward from the lad. Poch should start him more often, as he definitely shows much more abilities with more playing time. I wonder how much Toby should be paid. I agree, we wont miss Eriksen as much.

Last edited: November 20, 2016
    Nomadico likes this.
  17. craigdick New Member

I just make the comment that writing off Janssens is like writing off your son after he is 6 months old! He is much better than (SoldAdud) He did create the Harry Winks first goal and he is always creating opportunities and as said he holds the ball up well for others to come into the play, give him a couple of seasons. Son won the game for us, he created the second goal and won the penalty for the winner. Well done Harry Winks, the first time I saw him plat was in Melbourne and I thought he stood out and looked to be a fine prospect and now he is improving with every opportunity.
    COYS, the best is yet to come!

Nomadico and Bazza47 like this.
  18. 71yid

71yid Member

Phew what a game and last gasp win when all looked lost and our unbeaten PL run about to go tits up.... but hang on........we persevered and unlike Tottenham teams from the past, got a vital win through a bit of grit and determination not to mention smart subs from Poch. However, we have to defend better than this nxt sat against Chelski and play without anxiety at the bridge. Janssen really disappointing again and two or three others failed to make an impact when we know that they can when it suits them. I would like to see a couple more quality players signed in jan transfer window with another striker a priority! Coys

19. burnt Well-Known Member

Was a typical Tottenham 16//17 performance really , toothless for the main part but great to get the 3 points , even if they were gift wrapped ... It's becoming typical old style Spurs , in it doesn't matter who plays or what formation , we get the same type of performancs ... In fairness it's not unusual to to get these type of performancs after international break but we're getting it week in week out this Season so it would be a bit deluded to use that as an excuse .. It wasn't awful by any means , it was just same old , same old .... Amazing we're still unbeaten given how we,ve performed so far ... Taking everything into account , injuries , out of form players , toothless performance's , we are still in a decent position to do something this season if we can turn it around ... Kane coming back can only be a bonus up top so that's a start , as for those behind him , well they haven't done it so far this year but even if they're not as good as some might have taught , they're surely better then what they've produced so far ... They're just an inconsistent bunch , they'll all have their good runs and bad runs throughout a season ... We can get away with that as long as there's a couple of them firing at any one time , unfortunately they've all wobbled at the same time this year but again , we've got away with it to a degree so far ... Can they pick it up at some stage , well history tells us they can do a lot better so we live in hope , there's always hope .....

How did such an innocuous bang keep Toby out for so long ... Was probably a million to one to cause the damage he did ... It will be a major boost to get him back in the side whenever it happens .. Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it soon ... C.O.Y.S .......

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button