PLAYER RATINGS: Spurs 3:0 Hull

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, December 14, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Thank the skies for poor opposition. Actually that's a bit unfair! Spurs set up with 3 at the back tonight with Toby, Jan and Dier forming the 3 with Rose and Walker allowed to bomb forward and bomb forward they did tonight.
    Sissoko came on at Old Trafford and managed to be Spurs best player. He showed pace again tonight and really ran at the Hull defence. He has had plenty of stick and in some ways been made a scapegoat but he looks strong and skilful and let's hope he keeps it up. He certainly offered more than Dembele has this season.

The first goal was well worked. Plenty of pace and when the ball fell to Eriksen , he finished cooly to make it 1-0. Spurs did get sloppy though and Hull had a ten minute spell where they got forward and Lloris was forced to warm his hands although nothing too taxing.

The man of the match was a close call tonight between our 2 full backs. Not only are they quick but what they also have is strength. They offer Spurs pace and width and when Spurs have played better this season , it has been when they have both had more freedom to get forward.
    When they did get forward, Wanyama was always there to cover and the system tonight actually seemed to work. Which means it will probably get changed for the weekend!!

Walker went on a marauding run and pulled the ball across for Eriksen to tap home his and Spurs second. It was a relief as Hull started the second half the better and Livermore forced Lloris to save with the Spurs fans starting to get frustrated. Finish them off was the cry!!!

And eventually we did. Rose on one of his marauding runs won a free kick and Eriksen sniffed a hatrick. It was a good free kick that was only palmed away and Wanyama was there to get a goal his work rate deserved.

I certainly wouldn't get carried away with this win as the same issues we have seen all season were still hanging around but the goals and 3 points keep us in the mix.

Lloris - 7 Did what he needed to do with some sweeper keeper work and a vital save from Livermore.

Walker - 9 Outstanding performance only missing a goal to cap it! Fast strong and brilliant. Man of the match performance.

Dier- 7 Still not allowed to escape his centre back hell but looked much more comfortable alongside Toby and Jan and even had chance to get farther forward at times. For all the stick, he is still an integral part of this Spurs squad.

Alderweireld - 8 Great to have him back it really is. A certain Captain.

Vertonghen - 8 Again looking much better alongside Toby and nearly scored a great goal when he went through Hull like butter.

Rose - 9 Yes, I know that I have given him the same score as Walker but I really can't separate them tonight. Walker just edged it for me but both outstanding.

Alli - 7 Still not at his best but was better than at United. Linked well with Eriksen and Sissoko

Sissoko - 8 Looked full of energy and confidence. Ran at the Hull defence and caused plenty of problems.

Wanyama - 8 Marshalled in front of the defence well and worked hard for the cause. His work rate alone meant his goal was deserved.

Eriksen -8 2 goals and got forward well. Not sensational but played well and linked the play well. Even got a free kick past the first man!!!

Kane - 6
    Poor against United and I didn't think he played very well at all tonight either. He showed a lovely piece of skill when he turned Huddlestone but shot wide and never looked like scoring. Not at his best right now.

Winks - N/A brief appearance and kept the ball moving. Some of the criticism aimed at him is unfair.

Pochettino - 7 We won and he deserves credit for the formation tonight. There is still something not clicking fully but I hope Sissoko gets a run now as he looks like he could do teams some real damage.

Onward we go and as ever, Come on you Spurs!!!!!!!

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Well all the Big Teams won mid week just the wanderers that flopped which is all good with me.
    Hull r really poor just glad we didnt make it difficult in the end.

COYS!

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

It's going to be another strange season and what a huge game it is at the lane versus the Chavs.

4. Big Fran Guest

Personally think we struggled with the system tonight barring the opening and last twenty mins. Rather down to the personnel and one or two obvious tactical misgivings. Ie - when you play with a bk 3 it helps if the centre halves playing either side a)have pace and b) can also play full bk. Obviously JV ain't the quickest buy the fact he's a good left bk and naturally left footed gives him the nod. Died however isn't quick and isn't a great full bk and hence again struggled as he's just played the season of his life down the middle. Alderweield has good pace and has played regular at the top level for country and atletico at right back so a little positional change between the two is obvious and also gives the option if the great diagonal ball outlet he plays. Walker and rose are ideal for the system IMO as outlined by thier showings tnite. I'd imagine back to a 4231 Sunday and hopefully another 3 points v Burnley. If we can take Max points into the Chelsea game could be interesting Xmas and new year.

5. Not sure you got Winks' score right. We were only one up when he came on and he played really well. I'd have given him a 7 not an N/A

6. Kane Clarke Guest

We seem to be scoring freely enough against the small teams just need to learn to be more creative against the rest off the top six hopefully we can go on a nice run now before the Chelsea game to keep us in the mix . So frustrating because we really are a payet Maurez type off player and a top draw striker away from having the best team in this league but as ever will keep the believe and faith coys !!!

7. ted Guest

Offered more than Dembele? Dembele's been one of our most influential players this season. We arent the same team without him

8. hongkong14 Guest

Walker was awesome. His 40 yd ground ball pass was Modicesque. Winks played well and deserved a good rating too.

9. guesty Guest

we need consistency. its no good only beating the poor teams.

10. johnnyhrvat Guest

Most of your ratings are very generous Matt, although Harry Kane actually did some very good work in the first half.
    Alli was pretty dire and until he went off Hull were playing the ball around midfield without much interference - after Winks came on Hull barely saw the ball. I thought Winks is/was excellent - crisp and fast passing when in possession and winning the ball back the odd times Hull had the ball.
    Wanyama was sloppy at times and we did not boss the midfield until Winks came on.
    Son was woeful for his little cameo - nearly every touch a bad one.
    I have been saying for a good while that we need to get the wingbacks forward, but still prefer Dier in midfield and dropping back to form a three-man defence - that leaves no room for Wanyama. It's not always about playing one's best players but it's about playing one's best team.

11. burnt Well-Known Member

I taught we did ok , we didn't need to be any better then ok and we weren't I.m.o .. I'm not a fan of 3 at the back full stop but if we're going to be using it then it needs to be practiced .. In fairness , a home game against one of the poorer sides is the ideal opportunity for this but the other side of the coin is we,re playing 5 defenders and a defensive minded midfielder at home against minnows but ultimately the result is what matters .. A performance that didn't do much for me overall I have to say considering the opposition .. Not looking a top 4 side to me at the moment , we,re hanging in there so let's see how it pans out ... Everyone around us seem to have their own flaws so who knows how it will end up .... Everytime I think we're looking like we might be about to find our high energy game this season it doesn't materialize ... Onto the next one , probably the biggest bus parkers in the league this year ... We love bus parkers .... C.O.Y.S .......

Felon82 likes this.
  12. Big fran Guest

How many goals should wanyama have had last few games...

13. guesty Guest

Wanyama is there to stop the oppo from playing. end of. don't think he brings anything but muscle to our team.
    for me it Dier and Dembele in midfield.

14. burnt Well-Known Member

He's got a touch of the Aaron Lennons about him when he gets a sight of goal all right , not an unusual thing for one who plays his position ... He gets into positions to have a pop more often then I would have anticipated ... Them types of player dont get many goals in the modern game but in fairness his attempts are shocking for a professional footballer ..... Good player though , personally I'd have him before Dier all day long .....

15. Dace Member

We did okay against a poor Hull team.
    Think Winks deserved a score, 7 perhaps, he was all action and is a Dembele replacement being made.
    Did not miss Dembele imo.
    He has only played 13/24 matches this season ( I think ).
    He has become slow and ponderous along with the fact he seems not to be able to play more than once a week.
    No meant to be Dembele bashing comments, I just feel we look faster without him.

16. Rob Cartmel Guest

Winks was easily a rateable player 7 or 8. Going to be a strange year at least Leics shown how flukey they were. Think we will defo be 3 upwards hope we don't get a run on Monday games at end of season again. Disgrace in Europe - embarrassed!!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button