Player Ratings: Monaco 2 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, November 22, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

A must win game lost with a poor team selection, poor tactics and poor player attitude. Let's not beat about the bush here, Spurs were awful in Europe again and not getting through this group is frankly unacceptable. Without Lloris tonight it could have been 6. Or 7.

Lloris - 9. Only because 2 goals went in does he not get 10. Great saves at least saved us from a more humiliating scoreline.

Trippier - 4. Wore a mask tonight and played like a clown. Defensively inept and passing terrible. We need better cover for Walker.

Dier - 5. I would have played Wimmer with Jan not Dier bearing in mind just how much Dier is struggling. Looks a shadow of his former self and this was a clanger from Poch.

Wimmer - 5. Apart from his own goal against Arsenal, I thought he played well that day but alongside Dier he was shambolic. There were plenty of signs on Saturday that the defence is slowly starting to creak and we need Toby back quickly.

Rose - 7. He seems to run the entire left side of the pitch on his own! Left back, left midfield and left winger. No one covering behind and no one supporting up top. Cut a very frustrating figure.

Dembele - 5. What is happening with the beast? Passes going astray and even getting knocked off the ball too easily tonight.

Wanyama - 6. Tried at times but unable to add any influence. Didn't support the back line at all but not our worst player.

Son - 5. He changed the game on Saturday but couldn't change a ten pound note tonight. Poor ball control and impressions of Ronny Rosenthal are not what we want to see at this level.

Winks - 6. Showed some signs again of a bright future. Tried to get things moving forward but it was all too tight in the centre of the park.

Dele - 5. Maybe his worst performance in a Spurs shirt. Won the penalty but everything else he did was poor.

Kane - 7. Never stops running and was confident with the penalty but also looked jaded and at times was poor with the ball.

Subs

Eriksen - 6 One half chance cutting in from the left but also had time to show his lack of skills at corners.
    Janssen - 6. Not enough time to do anything and hardly a player on current form who is a game changer.
    Sissoko - N/A I'd be too harsh to rate him. An awful signing and an astonishing waste of £30 million.

Pochettino - 3. The players were poor, yes but the team selection was wrong and the subs hardly worthwhile. I'm not actually sure what formation it is we play. A very bad night at the office for a Poch.

Simply not good enough tonight and although we remain unbeaten in the league, the cracks are starting to widen. When you consider what we did in the Champions League under Harry to this dismal affair, you have to wonder if we have really progressed at all. But that's another question that someone out there might want to address.

Chelsea next.

71yid and Jonesy like this.
  2. Tottenhamlover

Tottenhamlover Member

Absolutely disgraceful what was the point of 6years building up to this campaign to just bottle it. Capitulation at 1-1 was shambolic.Dier is no longer a CB imo so much more responsibility than in Cdm. We should play youngsters in the last CL game, i don't wanna play in that **** competition the europa league and concentrate on the league. Son is so frustrating, he goes from a world beater to a bottler.Absolutely dreading Saturday the team that beat City have been lost. We need Toby and Erik back desperately and we need Alli and Eriksen to hit top form.The players need to wake up and start playing football again. Poch's selection tonight was dreadful btw
    As ever
    COYS

Mattj78, Jonesy and Bazza47 like this.
  3. Klaus Guest

Travelling fans should get a refund from the team minus Lloris and Wanyama. Disgrace tonight!

Bazza47 and Mattj78 like this.
  4. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

All credit to you Matt for bothering to waste your effort on them. Hugo was immense. All the rest total shite.

Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  5. Bazza47

You watch it unfold and you cringe at what is happening.

Poor everything. What fecking formation were we playing. The back four were abysmal, Wanyama not much better. Son, what a shocker. Alli dreadful.

I pity the 500 travelling fans.

Poch. Why did he not at least change it at half time. 0/10 for you lad. Buck yourself up. Our league position flatters. Anyone who has watched us, week in week out can see that. No goals, no pace.

Truly, truly embarrassing.

Mattj78, Felon82 and Jonesy like this.
  6. Del Guest

When us fans are banking on Spurs in any major game we need to win the team totally let us down !!!!!I do ask the question do us fans have more ambition than the players????

Bazza47, Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  7. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Words can't explain how I feel tonight.

In terms of the team - absolutely pedestrian; inept and naive. To equalise and concede 14 secs later, just shocking.

Now Poch, close to unforgivable with this selection. With Toby injured and then to rest Jan, Kyle and others was always going to be suicidal.

I am somewhat perplexed by Poch and his thought process tonight. The club and fans wait 6 years to return to the CL, then face a must win game to avoid elimination but rest key players for a domestic fixture? A fixture we will look to win and contributes towards re-entering the same competition we have just departed - utterly baffling.

The unbeaten PL run simply papering over the cracks...

Totally embarrassed.

Mattj78, Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  8. Muhoo Guest

The Spurs fans are all ways looking for a hero like dembele who when he starts a game lets you down,then he comes on as a sub and looks brilliant Spurs have too many of these players ,

Mattj78 likes this.
  9. Loose Guest

Well beaten by a far better organised and pacy team , should of been a heavy 5/6 goal defeat but thanks to
    Hugo and their finishing it would of been more embarrassing .
    What's been wrong with us all season apart from city game has been no pace no width no real desire or leaders on the pitch Eriksen has been a passenger all season and with 5 mins to go with the ball bouncing on the edge of the box he jumped and turned his back on the ball a complete and utter bottler .... and sissoko has got to be worst ever signing ... he is not a footballer just a big lump what an embarrassment.
    Poch has sold pace in Lennon and Townsend which tells me he doesn't want wingers which incidentally Monaco destroyed us with , I really do question our recruitment policy and who makes the decisions on who we buy and sell . Paul Mitchell must of resigned for a reason mmmmmm let me think interfering DL by any chance ????? We are a bug physical team with no craft hardly any pace except for rose and walker no leaders a captain in goal which I've never liked ... The only positives on the horizon are the likes of Winks and hopefully Edwards coming through ... give Toby the armband get shot of Eriksen and Sissoko and get some bloody pace and urgency into the team COYS

Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Well im glad you wrote this piece Matt as mine wouldve had to be removed!

What a Shambolic display from start to finish of this 'Campaign'.

This started in the Summer where we didn't buy CL quality players to play in the er Champions League!

Poch has been Carried by Kanes goals much like AvB was with Bale, now Kanes been out a while its shown all of Poch's defficiencies.

A tactical Genius he is not, his Philosophy amounts to no more than 'Work hard', hes badly out of his Depth in Europe, if Sissoko was his no1 signing then it just shows how bang average a manager he is.

I cannot believe the undue Praise thats been put upon him for Drawing game after game and sneaking late goals. His selections at crucial times in competitions have no logic whatsoever and hes not once justified them by actually making a success of it.

Bang average Poch blew a title chance last season, his Europa exploits are dysmal and now his CL campaign is an utter embarrassment.

Thats the Poch Bash over.

Now the Players

Hugos save from that Volley was the only thing good about this entire campaign (speaks volumes) and is probably the only world class thing ive seen from this entire squad this season.

What is going on????

Dier and Alli look awful both cut figures of knackered dissinterested and average at best footballers.

Dembele (NLD aside) looks like hes reverted to old Moussa happy to drift through games taking no responsibility.

Eriksen, i cant believe how bad hes become everytime we get a dead ball situation (which lets face it is the only time hes likely to influence a game these days) i have a bet it wont beat the 1st man (and its a shame its not for money because id probably be able to buy Spurs just to show Daniel where the f*cking Door is!)

The defence which Poch has been credited for 'sorting out' is purely down to Toby not the Manager because with out him its back to the shambles it was.

Sissoko is this a bad f*cking Dream??? If this is Pochs main man then we are bang in trouble. The Vault is welded shut season after season and then we go full in paying top dollar for a player that was niether convincing, tearing up trees, has a solid position, had just been relegated, has poor goal and assist stats, isnt particularly pacey............. WTF is going on??
    Now with Adey MKII the midfielder how long will we be accomodating this Dud for????

Janssen tries hard just doesn't look like hes good enough at this level BUT he does have age on his side to come good, having said that though we had a CL campaign to tend to why are we buying hopefulls over end product. Janssen and Sissoko a combined 47 mil cudv bought much better for this Level.

You know its bad when u miss Lamela the 'hel come good' donkey boy that runs alot.

I can't believe what iv'e been seeing this season, i couldn't even celebrate the WestHam win such was the abysmal standard of Football, im sick of this gritty grind it out style it is not the Spurs way.

Unbeaten in the League means nothing when your sitting in 5th and that is where we most likely will finish or lower this season because last year was a fluke and weve gone backwards rather than improved.

Poch has over worked this side they look knackered, Unhappy, Unenthusiastic....
    The old saying all work no play, it just doesnt look to me like the players are relaxed, having fun or playing with any conviction.
    Recently its saunter about until you let a goal in and then Run about alot until u finally knick an equaliser n then go back to sauntering around again.

Not Good Enough!!!!
    Unnacceptable!!!!

Deggsy56, Bazza47 and Jonesy like this.
  11. Gutty Guest

Abysmal today, we have been poor in every game in the CL this season and this in a group we should have taken by the scruff of the neck! Leverkusen are a decent side and Monaco have improved but surely you'd fancy us to get through?!

As for tonight, there just seemed a lack of urgency, common sense, passion, togetherness, everything basically. Aside from Hugo who basically saved us from a hammering, everyone was completely off colour, I will credit Wanyama with actually trying but he was still far from his best, Trippier was beaten time and time again yet received no back-up from either Son or Alli, when Winks did notice danger it was too late, Dembele/Winks crowded out time and time again and Rose caught upfield too often, what upsets me most though is how poor our CB's were, Dier has been a shadow of himself compared to last season and Wimmer who looked fantastic covering for Jan last season has been almost comical! He seems as if he's running in quicksand and although yes we're unbeaten, we arguably have dropped points in games we should of won and gained points fortuitously late on.

I do think we need reinforcements in January and quite a few of them, squad players like Chadli, Townsend, Bentaleb and Mason may not have made the starting 11 every week but I think selling/loaning all 4 of them was a huge mistake and we lack strength in depth.

I hope we can maintain our unbeaten league record on Saturday but I am no hopeful.

COYS

12. the baler Guest

I am utterly shocked by what I have just watched,i have never felt as disillusioned or sickened as i do tonight.We have signed sub standard players in Son,Wimmer,Janssen and that tool of a Sissoko,Eriksen has been a passenger since the start of the season.The blame for tonight must fall on our manager,how can he drop Vertonghen and Walker when he has played them all season,if they were fit enough for the bench they should have played tonight.Also he has Nkoudou on the bench,he could have made a difference with his pace on the wing,but no we get Fackin Sissoko.

Bazza47 likes this.
  13. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Totally on point Felon mate. Harsh but true.

Bazza47 likes this.
  14. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Can't even defend Sissoko tonight... Truly awful.

More like a boxer than a footballer.

15. Yiddo Guest

I'm not sure words can sum up tonight or our displays in the CL this season, but I fear for this bunch of lads once we lose in the league, it's evident how much we miss Toby and even Jan tonight, I don't think we'll buy big in January but I think we need a much better window than the summer and if somehow we do make the top 4 again we need to be targeting bigger names than Nkoudou, Janssen and Sissoko.

Lamela is now looking a key player for us and although he has improved, would he be that in any of the other top teams?

For that 60m spent on those mentioned above I am sure we could have brought in far better signings. Are they any better the players we've lost?

Bazza47 likes this.
  16. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I did consider not writing anything at all. It's strange to think that a team who is unbeaten in the domestic league is considered to be poor.
    We miss Toby at the back and Poch needs to work out what his tactics are.

Bazza47 likes this.
  17. Cby82 Guest

I agree with most of the comments here - the team were awful, the worst thing was that they didnt look like they even cared or wanted to be there! What i dont understand is how they can play like they did against man city, showing all the aggression and will they showed all last season, but then seem to just forget how to do that in the games after.

But i also think we need to recognise that injuries have hit us hard this season, and Poch has had to change the first 11 almost weekly, meaning we havent had a settled side for a long time now - we are like Man City of a couple of seasons ago, when kompany was injured they were a different side, Toby is that player for us, same for dembele/yaya toure, Kane/Aguero, that is our core and without them we are an average side. Once they get a run together again we'll get much better.

bruski and Bazza47 like this.
  18. johnnyhrvat Guest

The next/last CL match is now a must-lose game - I expect Poch to field a full-strength X1.

Mattj78, Felon82 and Bazza47 like this.
  19. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

I couldn't u/stand ehy Son went round the keeper instead not chip him when clean through early on ( chances like that are rare A goal then would've been a different result ! Mind boggles. Think they were more worried about Chelsea last night.

Bazza47 likes this.
  20. Bazza47

Having responded to Matt's post last night, I logged on to see how others felt about last night.

I come here to read and see fans views and to share my own perspectives on what I've witnessed from the team.

I'm almost lost for words about what I saw last night. I'm shattered and depressed in equal measure.

Does our league position flatter?
    Is Poch able to mould his squad into a CL place?
    What do we do with Sissoko, Eriksen?
    Why don't we play NKD?
    Why do players look so lethargic?

The set up last night, the lack of midfield cover to Monaco's pace, the lethargy of Dier, Alli, even Kane,
    was cringe worthingly painful to watch. It bordered on the comical. It was so bad I actually laughed at it. Nervous laughter. That was fear. Fear at what lies ahead for us as a team and as supporters.

This hurts more today than it did at 9.30 last night.

FFS Poch get your arse in gear.

As Matt always says, COYS.....

Jonesy and Mattj78 like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button