Michael Dawson - A Heartfelt Goodbye

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Socrates, August 26, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Socrates

Socrates Member

This evening saw the confirmation of the departure of Michael Dawson – club captain and one of our longest serving players. His tenure at Spurs has seen ups and downs but it is certain that he will be remembered fondly by everybody at the club.

One Michael Dawson

Dawson’s arrival was an understated one. He arrived with Andy Reid in a double deal from Nottingham Forest back in 2005, and it was the former that Spurs fans were more excited about at the time.

However, Dawson quickly forged an impressive partnership with Ledley King and became a valuable member of the first team. By 2006, Dawson signed a contract extension keeping him at the club till 2011.

Dawson has been fairly ever present in the first team squad since then. Mangers came and went but Dawson stayed and eventually became club captain.

Unfortunately, recent seasons have not been kind to our now former skipper. The level of his performances significantly worsened and his position in the team was called into question by the fans.

With Vertonghen, Kaboul, Chiriches, Dier and (soon to be) Fazio at the club, there is no place left for Dawson at Spurs.

The move is the right one for both club and player; it is a shame that in the end that Spurs simply outgrew him.

Loyalty

For everything I love about football, the modern game is plagued with big-headed and arrogant footballers. Players who chase the money, who jump at the first chance they get to move to a bigger club. We have certainly see our fair share of those down the years.

Dawson was the opposite. He fought to stay at the club despite AVB’s attempts to sell him and he was one of the few players we’ve had in recent years that I can say have genuinely loved the club. He is a rare commodity in today’s game.

A good guy both on and off the pitch, there isn’t much about him to dislike. Spending 9 years at the club, there are very few players who have worn our shirt with such pride.

Club Legend?

There’s not been too many players that I am as fond of as Dawson in the past decade or so. Ledley King, Paul Robinson, Van der Vaart, Jermain Defoe. Those are a few names that pop into my head when thinking about club legends and cult heroes of recent times.

Dawson was not half the player King was but despite this very few fans are happy to see him go. That speaks volumes.

He might not be deserving of the term ‘legend’, but you can guarantee that he will receive an excellent reception whenever he returns to White Hart Lane.

It is with a heavy heart that I say, farewell Michael Dawson.

2. Stylo Guest

There is something very sad about Michael Dawson leaving Spurs. I get the feeling he'd rather stay at WHL if only to cut the grass. If only all who put on the shirt showed his loyalty and commitment. All the best Daws and thanks for everything.

3. Halabil Guest

Levy....give Dawson a testimonial as he has certainly earned it and he most certainly deserves it. There are very few players left at Spurs who have exemplified the pride in wearing the Lillywhite shirt as Dawson did. He has been a faithful and loyal servant to the club. He fought the hard fight and eventhough the time has come for club and player to part, he will be fondly remembered. It would be a classy and welcome gesture for Levy and the club to acknowledge Daws' service and loyalty to the club with a testimonial match as they similarly honored Ledley at the end of last season. Daws good luck and God bless. I hope that the supporters at the Lane welcome you back with open arms when you come visiting next with the Tigers.

4. An example on how to conduct yourself in life. A Tottenham Legend. I wish him well.

5. Thank you Michael Dawson. A great club man and always gave 100% for the shirt.
    Legend? Maybe not but certainly a great.
    Good luck Daws

6. jem New Member

Michael Dawson what a true gentlemen on and off the pitch. Always gave 100% and always motivated and encouraged the rest of the team to work for the team. I had the pleasure of meeting him and he's a top guy.

Thank you for nearly 10 years of service and im sure that all spurs fans will be wishing you the best at your new club and will be giving you a standing ovation on your return

7. big fran Guest

Top drawer pro and a top drawer man of the club. Top drawer player on his day also I may add especially alongside the king. Good luck Daws.

8. igas42 Guest

good luck Michael you have been a shining example to all young players,and a loyal spurs man

9. Dave Weller Guest

Probably best thing for both player and club and I am sure he will be a credit for Hull as he has for Spurs over the years. For those that have a short memory lest we forget I suspect that in the four seasons we made 4th and 5th he probably played more games at centre half for spurs than anyone else in that period - not a bad record!!
    Michael Dawson is a proper footballer who loves the game, plays with a smile, and understands fully the responsibilities that come with being a top professional footballer (as any one in Loughton area will testify) - unfortunately I am not sure there are that many others playing in EPL that the same could be said.

Good luck Michael to you and family back up in Hull and I will not be surprised if you don't get the same reception as Ledley when back at WHL - just a pity you couldn't turn out Thursday night for a proper farewell.

And yes to last comment - if anyone deserves a testimonial (even for a charity may I dare suggest!) then Daniel - Michael Dawson definitely does!

10. spurgatso Guest

Spurs outgrown him?we've outgrown damn all yet, one good win does not a season make.

11. Tony Guest

Excellent pro and great and loyal servant to the club - the way he conducted himself reminded me of Gary Mabbutt and Steve Perryman - I can't give much higher praise. Good Luck Daws, you will always get a great reception at the Lane and will always be part of the Spurs family.

12. Dan R Guest

Certainly going to miss such a genuine professional. Always gave 100% and never pulled out of any challenge. Deserving of a testimonial ..hell yes. Good luck to you Dawes. I wish you and your family all the best for the future

13. nicnackpaddy Guest

hmmm yes good luck daws. definitely experience in the squad not to old either we have let go there. How he's worse than Kabuol is anyones guess.

All the best Daws, i was always impressed with your long passes from the back. Hull have got a v sound performer there.

14. del Guest

daws you'll always be welcomed back at white hart lane great man,great captain always gave his all good luck with hull city top bloke!

15. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

With players like JD and now Daws gone its like an end of an era at Spurs. A real club man and probably one of a dying breed of players willing to give their blood for the team, no one has ever doubted the mans heart and courage in a Spurs shirt, unfortunately we've all known for a while that the club has to move forward and that all players have to accept this when that time comes around. Good luck at your new club, have to admit to now having a soft spot for Hull now having another ex spur, except for when they play us of course

16. SteveSpur Guest

Thanks Michael! MD a legend to me..... just read his 5 fave Spurs memories........ puts his service and loyalty into perspective! move on with pride and my best wishes! Hull have made a good buy!

17. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree that Daws should get a testimonial. Over the last two seasons he may have lost some pace but he has never given anything except 110 % for Spurs. His conduct on and off the pitch is an example to all aspiring players and he will always be a Spur. Good luck in the future Michael and thanks for the memories!
    He's a Yiddo!!

18. johnnyhrvat Guest

2012-13 season everybody only talked about Bale: Dawson was offered to QPR but wanted to stay and fight for his place.
    He started 21 games that season and we earned 2.19 points a game (equates to an 83-point season) - the other 17 games we earned 1.5 points a game.

A legend? Undoubtedly!

Good luck Dawson - Hull's gain is our loss.

19. Mads G Guest

A classy player with the heart of a lion. Inspirational both on and off the pitch. I agree with the writer; Dawson provides one of the last glimpses of a dying breed - the footballer who plays with pride, loyalty and true grit. The average modern footballer is a sickening medley of cowardly glory-hunter, primadonna and moneygrabber. I hope that'll change and that we start to see more players like Dawson, Gerrard and Totti. Players who stay on and fight when things get sour. Those are the players who become truly immortal.

I hope that he'll return as a trainer or ambassador.

Mattj78 likes this.
  20. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Dawson is one of a dying breed. Committed to his club through thick and thin. Positive when there seems only to be negativity available.
    It was definitely time for him to move on but he was a great player in his time and sadly his pace is against him now but he is still going to be a good but for Hull.

THERE'S ONLY ONE MICHAEL DAWSON!!!!!!!!!!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button