Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Well it’s official … we’re +1 goal to the good this year lol

Team still some way to go … forwards have no bite … backline easily beaten by 2 long balls and another dreadful defensive error

But hey we controlled 72% of possession lol

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

A top coach?

I'm sorry what is this based on?

Whittlesea Zebras & Celtic?

That was absolutely pathetic today, its getting worse not better.

Bazza47 likes this.
  3. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I agree with Felon it is getting worse and who the hell coaches defence because he should be sacked.I hear it’s Mason no surprise there then.We are not in the Scottish premiership although we play like it.Time for serious consideration about whether Ange is a one season wonder or not.peoplekeep on about how good Romero. Is I still think he is a liability.Van had a anightmre today but that can happen when you are covering the gaps left by the fullbacks constantly,Piease don’t think about signing Verner he showed at Chelsea how poor a finisher he is

Felon82 likes this.
  4. Genevaspurs Guest

I share for the first time the negative remarks on the lack of tactical reaction from postecoglou. Defensively, we were bad but that doesn't just concern the 4 defenders but also and above all the 4 offensive players and the 2 midfielders, Bissouma and Betancur, who all forgot to fight for the jersey they wear! And to keep the same tactics with only 2 midfielders when we were eaten up from all sides in the first half is clearly a fault on his part. Stubbornly sticking to a system that has achieved nothing today demonstrates its lack of tactical flexibility! To keep Werner for the full match was a fault too...

Felon82 likes this.
  5. Ryan Mason Guest

So, look guys as defensive coach I had a drop down session with the boys on Thursday and we all agree that improvements have been made this season. I'm proud od how hard we've all been working! Despite the result today thats a 33.3% improvement on goals conceded in the same fixture last season. That's just simple math. Look, coaches will come and go but I love the club and remain 110% committed. I'll touch down with Daniel and Ange on Monday and as always we'll go again **club shop currently offering 15% discount to one hotspur members! Take a look at our new aussie range where the Cockerell is replaced by a Kangaroo**Take care guys

Felon82 likes this.
  6. Ah the mighty Whittlesea Zebras. I remember them well.

Give the man a break. He doesn’t have the cattle. That is obvious. This team was an absolute rabble the final third of last season, and then lost its only world class player (okay Romero is world class … but as a centre-back he can only do so much).

I was predicting mid-table or worse given our talent level.

Ange has worked magic to get us anywhere near the Champions League. If we lose the last 6 in a row, then you can question his methods. Until then, he has been excellent.

7. Funny how everyone has complained about how negative and boring the team has been these last few seasons. Now we attack unreservedly, and the tactics are still wrong?

Our tactics are very similar to the top 2 coaches in the EPL these last years. Obviously, we don’t have the same cutting edge as they do, but the tactics are very good, and I applaud the manager for sticking to his principles while he rebuilds this squad. He makes Spurs a good watch, even when they are awful like yesterday.

In Ange I trust. Best chance this club has had do anything of note for a very long time.

8. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Sorry but Ange has been found out as have some of the players d who are no where near early season form.ie Bissouma Sarr son Romero Maddison(most) Porro we need urgent change of tactics because the premiership managers learn fast

Felon82 likes this.
  9. If a team has to resort to long balls to beat us then so be it. Or would you rather be the side that sits back and plays off the counter-attack? I thought we’d had enough of that?

As I mentioned, the system is very similar to that employed by the 2 best teams in England for many a year. If it hasn’t achieved the same lofty results in our manager’s first season here, it is because of the standard of our players.

Improve the players. The manager has the right idea.

10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Sorry imposteoglou but we need more player than LEVY WILL BUY..Ange has made a couple of good signings but no way was Verner good signing as he proved at Chelsea.His stubbornness will be his undoing as

he must learn to adapt his tactics as he has been sussed.A top striker is paramount as Son has passed his sell by date and Verner not good enough and I still can’t love Kulu and the midfieldneds some beefing up

11. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

A day of mixed feelings Villa steal a march on us but the gooners bottle it again which every spurs fan wanted

12. We're in a false position. This is a mid table quality squad full of ENIC budget buys.These players cant be improved. You get what you pay for. We picked up a lot of points in the first 10 games when the opposition were unaware of Ange tactics (tuck in full backs etc). The opposition engaged and we always had an option to make a pass and go forward. This gave the impression that Bissouma could suddenly pass and run a midfield. It also gave showed Maddison to be more influential on games with more space than he is now getting. Once Ange tactic was sussed teams realised they did not have to engage at all and are now able to sit back and watch us pass it sideways and backwards. Consequently our average players have reverted to type;lazy ball watching and giving the ball away easily now that they are under more pressure. 72% possession against Newcastle with 2 shots on target and 4 goals conceded is pathetic as it is predictable. The football is now every bit as dull as anything witnessed under recent managers. Ange will not be backed in the transfer window in any meaningful fashion and he will be sacked and paid off like all the others before. Daniel (and now his son) will be onto the next change of direction offering short term optimism to keep the 60K returning. ENIC don't care about success on the pitch so the cycle will continue.

13. You’re right about the players … so why are you flogging the coach? If he has them positioned above their level while playing attacking football then he is doing a good job aye?

This is not a strong squad … a good starting 11 at full strength but no world class players apart from one guy at the back.

Pretty sure every EPL manager knew what to expect from Ange after a couple of seasons at Celtic … the tactics haven’t been sussed. We after all have sat back for many a year and conceded a truckload of goals. We simply lack any decisive cutting edge in the final third … even just one player of proper quality. Madders is good and can be very good, but he ain’t world class. He needs some help.

And yeah you’re 100% correct. The current squad has some potential … some good youngsters who will improve … but it isn’t going much further up the table without proper reinforcement. If that doesn’t happen then this is of course all moot.

I think ENIC have run out of excuses. The club is in a very strong financial position going forward. I think the time has come to translate that onto the pitch these next years. I am more than convinced the current manager is the man to oversee it.

14. voiceofreason Active Member

Ok - Fantasyland question!

If we manage to eke out some results and at the end of the season we need to beat City to get champions league but that means Arsenal win the title- what result do you want!! Obviously for me it’s a win but damn that would hurt

15. I’d give city the points and celebrate 5th place and a season of much more watchable football this year

16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Any body not dreading the game today.I know it’s a derby but Anges style will suit arsenal and I expect them to run through us.Could be embarrassing.PS I hope I am wrong and we rise to the occasion but I have my doubts

17. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Just seen the team for today and I am questioning team selection again.Why is Kuluveski playing when he has been awful all year and why is Richarlison not in when we need goals and a forward who closes down their defenders.My faith in Ange is starting to waned

18. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

As I said embarrassing Ange has been found out and other teams can play through us with ease.

19. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I can’t watch anymore.how can we score a goal with Kulu and Verner in the team.Time for a second look at Ange who appears to have lost the plot and his teamselections are based on what .Who can pass sideways

20. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Now 3 -at home total embarrassment.Please Ange supporters justify this as I can’t any more .We are not in Scotland and can’t compete with premiership managers.Please don’t tell me that he will get it right because he wont

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button