Identifying Spurs issues

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, October 30, 2016.

Share This Page

1. bruski

bruski Active Member

Brilliant Mattj. A sobre and calm thought process and one that I can agree with whole heartedly. I do wonder what Mopo has against a ball over the top or through. Janssen is one of the the top 15 quickest players in the Prem, and it would be something different. Get some crosses onto his head (Trippier IMO is the best we have at this). I believe we have the players but our current MO is ineffective which makes it all about Mopo. I do like him though.
    COYS

Mattj78 likes this.
  2. GH10 Guest

Interesting fact I've seen today from 442 (regarding whether Janssen needs to do more/ or needs better service).

Son and Alli failed to complete a single pass to Janssen on Saturday during their respective minutes on the pitch.

Suits the argument — service needs to be better for the Dutchman!

Remy Uwilin and Felon82 like this.
  3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

At West Brom we battered them. Only a keeper on form stopped us beating them by a cricket score. We then went behind and would have lost in previous seasons but we do have extra resilience. It only ended a draw but there are still positives out there.
    The bench is looking weak but I guess once Kane and Toby are back in the team the bench may look better with Dier, Janssen, Lamela, on there. It still not massively strong but at least better than right now.

Things do need to change in certain areas but things aren't as bad as folk are saying. Look, if we lose on Wednesday , then at the Emershites and Chelsea, there will be reason to start worrying. But for now things ain't all bad.

Bazza47 and Spurporter like this.
  4. burnt Well-Known Member

The thing is though , how many times over the last 12 - 18 months , even longer , back to A.V.B.s time even , have we taught we would have won that game if their keeper didn't have a worldie .. I'm starting to think it's not a coincidence ... I'm sure if we go back through the games we,d see the keepers more often then not didn't make any saves they really shouldn't have made ... Take last week against Liverpool for example , Vorm got a lot of praise for making 4 or 5 good saves but there wasn't one i can remember he really shouldn't have made ... It would have been a mistake by him if he'd let any of them in ... There's a big difference between a keeper doing his job and one having a worldie ....

Felon82, Mick and Mattj78 like this.
  5. Spurporter Well-Known Member

As if both have not tried... Got to give the opposition some credit for intercepting. Spurs have always had problem to go through the block, AKA Parked Bus.

6. burnt Well-Known Member

I read that somewhere myself that Janssen is in top 15 - 20 quickest players in the league , wow , all I can say is he doesn't look like it , to me he looks like he lacks pace and before I read that I wouldn't have taught he'd be in the top 10 at the Lane ... Looks certainly can be deceiving if that's true .....

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. johnnyhrvat Guest

Imagine if Dele Alli's and JV's attempts were just a tad lower and Wanyama hadn't 'cocked up'. A 3-0 win, and we would have been discussing our title credentials here. Small margins which are not changed a great deal by spending huge wads of dosh - one only needs to look at MU to see that. I thought it was a very good performance Saturday without getting the breaks.
    Before we had Wanyama in the team, Dier would drop back, forming a defensive three, allowing right and left backs to get forward more. Wanyama does not do this and I was disgusted with him when, after heading the ball to Vardy he then casually trotted back leaving Walker alone with Musa and Okazaki - he was level with both players when he made the header and was not even in the box when Musa scored. This is not the first time I have seen him failing to make the effort to get back.

8. GH10 Guest

“Disgusted” lol

9. You are not the only fan who actually wants us to win things. I expect it! Not because of heightened expectations from last year only, but because of the talent we have had over the last 50 years. 90s aside. Just never got balance right. We need our great defence which should have been allied with the Hodrdle & Gascoigne teams etc, since early 60s. Dont forget the waste of Defoe ( criminal) why no Butcher, Mcliesh, Levien to partner Roberts? There is no curse, just bad decisions

Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.

10. Exactly - we only needed a couple of bits of good luck on the last few games and we are sitting pretty-

Agree re Wanyama- thought he had a poor game compared to his last few games - I would have taken him off instead of Dele

I'll get attacked for this but I also thought Ericson played well- apart from corners

11. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Ever the optimist Matty.....

Mattj78 likes this.
  12. Bazza47

That is interesting about Wanyama..Hadn't noticed that....mmm, what with that and Walker's lack of alertness....avoidable for sure.

13. Bazza47

Thoughts....

Eriksen. He may not be the best, but if I compare him to Modric, who never scored enough goals for me, I've generally felt that he has delivered better all round results than Modric did. Corners....how can he fail so many times, a bit like me off the tee.

Dembele. Once fit we must utilise him further forward, left side, Eriksen right, as creative players, like in the days gone by of 4-2-4....only joking on that, but they could be very effective.

Janssen. Give him some service, use the width of Wembley.

HK. He wasn't at his best when he got injured. A month of rest should see him strong for 60-70 minutes.

Tomorrow. Watch the fast breaks. Score early. Use the subs wisely. Carpe diem, seize the day.....

COYS

Felon82 likes this.
  14. burnt Well-Known Member

18 draws in our last 48 league games , all with a similar pattern , if some want to consider thats down to " luck " , fair enough ... We must be the most unluckiest team in the league ....

Bazz , I.m.o Luka was probably the best player we,ve had in 20ish years , I think he's one of the best midfielders in the world today ... Christian might get more goals but given a choice who would you have in the side ... Modrics worth to the side , any side is invaluable ... They have different roles in different systems so not really fair to compare ... When Eriksson is in top form and buzzing around the center of the pitch he can do an ok imitation of Luka , I actually think this is what he should be doing all the time , he's not a number 10 for me .... I don't think Luka would thrive in Eriksson,s role either by the way but I.m.o neither does Eriksson ... For me Luka , is on a completely different level to Mr Eriksson I'm afraid , goals or no goals ....

15. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Theres so many 'Excuses' its like a default setting with most Spurs fans.

16. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

Great article Matt! I too believe last season's progression has risen the expectations of many people unreasonably. First off, last season all the major clubs were in turmoil...most have reloaded now. Not to mention we can't come anywhere close right now in terms of competing with them on a monetary basis. If we wish to be competitive in the future, we ought to build for it. When Poch first came, our team was letting in 55 goals in a season. Now we have the best defense in the league. He has cut the squad and is giving youth a chance which will only brighten our future, we can get better development players because they know they have a chance of playing.

This frustration with results is understandable, but before anyone starts comparing Poch to AVB or anyone else for that matter. Take a step back and look how far we've come. More than any of our players, Poch is the most important piece to our team. Once we have a squad that is capable or really challenging, we'll be getting some top players. Right now we don't have that cutting edge technically gifted players who can break a stubborn defense. In a few years Edwards can grow to be one, with Alli continually developing and Eriksen maturing all looks great from where I'm standing.

We need players like an Isco or a Coutinho in our squad. As for Sissoko, we're only 10 games in....give the man a break. With confidence he can be a world beater, Poch will find a way of getting him there.

COYS!!!

Bazza47 likes this.
  17. Bazza47

I just want us to play tomorrow like City played tonight against Barca.

Carpe diem.

COYS

18. guesty Guest

so off to Wembley we go.....oh well at least is raises the performance of every foreign opposition team! ...which foreign team wouldn't prefer Wembley to White Hart Lane?? its the home of football! ...so its already a bit against us before we start.

someone said use the width! ...have you seen us play?? ...the wide bits are only cut for Walker and Rose!
    .....maybe we should just play them in midfield!

Lloris
    Tripper, Dier, Vertonghen, Davies
    Walker Wanyama, Erikssen, Rose
    Alli, Janssen

too early for drinking???

19. Bazza47

In your dreams Guesty.....

20. burnt Well-Known Member

Loris , Walker , Dier , Vertonghen , Davies , Victor , Moussa , Ali , Erikson , Sissoko , Son ...

No Jansen , disappointed , I taught he played well on Sat and no Rose , not a huge surprise , he does change the full backs regularly , I'd rather he started all the same .... C.O.Y.S .....

Not sure who the ref is but I hope he watched the last leg and seen that Chicaritos diving antics .... Hopefully he won't fall for any of his nonsense .... C.O.Y.S ....

Not sure what to expect at this place , again I'm no fan of playing here but it is what it is now ... Surely even by the law of averages we,re due a couple of goals ... Famous last words ...... C.O.Y.S , C.O.Y.S , C.O.Y.S ........

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button