Hugo commits to five seasons at WHL and may be joined by international team mate

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by George S, July 10, 2014.

Share This Page

1. George S

George S New Member

The news Tottenham Hotspur fans did not wake up and expect to hear this morning was that Hugo Lloris has signed a new five-year contract with the club.

The French captain has been inspiration during his two campaigns with the club and often cut a sorry figure last season being forced to pick the ball out of his net on numerous occasions due to the abysmal performances of those in front of him.

No PSG move

While many doubted he would leave the club this season, despite interest from Paris Saint-Germain, it has always been feared that he would up sticks sooner or later.

And of course that could still be the case but the fact Lloris has signed a new five-year deal, a lengthy amount of time, suggests exciting times are again on the horizon at White Hart Lane.

The sweeper keeper told the official club website that Pochettino and the clubs ambition played a major part in signing a new contract.

Clubs ambition is key

Lloris said: “I spoke with the chairman (Daniel Levy) and I know the club is as ambitious as ever.

“It’s very important to feel at home at a club and for my family to feel well. I enjoy a great relationship with the club and the fans.

“The arrival of Mauricio Pochettino is important as well. I have a good feeling with him. He is also ambitious.

“Everything is clear in my head and if I’ve signed a new contract it’s because I trust the club and I’m sure we will progress in a positive way.

“Last season wasn’t the season we all hoped for but w were still able to finish sixth in the league. We know we have to improve, the club also knows and there is a feeling and a confident connection between the club and the players.”

Win, win situation?

Ambition is the key buzzword throughout Lloris’ statement and the fact that he is tied down to a long term deal can only be a positive for the club.

The worst case scenario is that he’s sold but now it would ensure we can demand huge money for a keeper rightly viewed as one of the best in world football.

More importantly, it means other players at the club and those potentially thinking about joining the club will know the ambition of Tottenham Hotspur.

The France captain wouldn’t agree a five-year deal if he didn’t believe the club was moving in the right direction and footballers all around the world will see that and want to know what is happening at White Hart Lane.

And either by coincidence or off the back of the new deal for Lloris, an international colleague of the French captain has been linked with a move to Spurs.

Another Frenchman joining our ranks…

Southampton’s Morgan Schneiderlin has earned rave reviews for his performances on the south coast, especially under the management of Pochettino.

The Daily Express report Tottenham and Arsenal are now going head to head for the 24-year-olds signature.

Reports recently suggested Arsenal would make a £20 million move for the midfielder but Express insist that Spurs are actually leading the race for the Saints ace.

A fee isn’t yet agreed but Pochettino and co have started contract discussion with Schneiderlin.

It is added that our new Argentine manager is a “massive fan of Schneiderlin” and it is believed the Frenchman is keen to link up with his former boss as well.

Spurs could bring in the 24-year-old and start building a French revolution!

2. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Levy comes up trumps again! The single most important man at the club, his VISION, PASSION and AMBITION to see this GREAT club of ours restored to it's rightful place in the eyes of world football will ensure that Tottenham Hotspur are in safe and trustworthy hands for (hopefully) years to come!

If I had my way, the man would NEVER leave....no matter what Russian, Arab or American comes calling!

VERY excited about the season/future ahead!!!.... So is Hugo Lloris by the sounds of it!

COYS!!!!!!!!!

3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

The thought of David Luiz playin in front of him must of made this decision all the easier for Hugo.

Great news for the club!

Mattj78, notnats and Ramos43 like this.
  4. jlo-spur Guest

I am sure the dire performance of the Brazilian defence (or lack of) played a massive part in his thought process, considering they form the centre back pairing at PSG.

5. Halabil Guest

Oh yes because the back four at Spurs last season were impenetrable! I am very happy/thankful that Lloris has agreed to a new 5 year contract but your reasoning as to why is just nonesense.

6. big fran Guest

Call me hyper critical but modric and bale both signed new deals only a year or so before leaving and it is a common trait nowadays to bump the price tag up a few million at many a club. I see Evra signed a deal at utd last week and is now on the verge of signing for juve!!! On the positive side I agree with a few of the above that MP should be trying to get the best out of the young talent we have in lamela walker Townsend eriksen and build the team around this core of players I see staying for the forseeable future so walker would also be my captain moving forward. I don't see many big signings due to lack of CL football and unable to pay big wages. We are unlikely to see CL for a minimum of 3 yrs until the squad has been rebuilt,confidence restored and the above young talent
    move on a notch or two. We simply cannot compete consistently with the mega rich clubs funded by corrupt sugar daddy's until the new stadium appears-which it will... Top six will be a realistic target this season for me..

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. David Guest

Big fran, you seemed to have missed the news that from next season winning the Europa League qualifies you for the Champions league the following season. That should be our aim, I genuinely think that we have the players at the club to beat the likes of Benfica, Sevilla, Juventus. Clearly Bayern, Real, Barca, are all the league A in Europe but we should be aiming to be near the top of League B

8. jlo-spur Guest

I really hope he has signed to prove we can compete for a CL place, I also hope that all the players who under achieved last season are given the opportunity to prove themselves under new a new manager. New club captain assuming Dawson departs.

Ramos43 likes this.
  9. hanko6319

hanko6319 New Member

that's great news just hope we can sort that back four out coz last season it was a shambles

10. big fran Guest

Sure a club of our statue try to progress in every comp we participate but teams u mention like benfica were one of the best in Europe last season and juve pissed thier league. It will mean teams that fall out of the group stage of league A as u say will have far more reason to win league B...

11. tommitoomuch

tommitoomuch New Member

Well , Well , Well.

A bit of a shock I have to say! A welcome shock but I seriously didn't think Hugo would be with us next season!

As an avid spurs fan it does make me feel ever so slightly optimistic that a player of lloris talent and potential obviously can see something brewing a in the spurs training lodge and behind the scenes. But then again sometimes money talks a great deal in life!

Right, with that all said and done and indeed... Signed. Let's make him Hugo Boss! Let's make him the captain!

He is already the captain of his national side , so he is obviously a leader! And he definitely leads his defence, well he plays as a third defender/sweeper ( sometimes for the good, sometime for the... But that's another thread!) and I feel you always lead for the back as they can see what happens in front of them , always look forward never behind! So I am a strong fan of the keeper captain. He has time to think and to read between the white lines so to speak.

12. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

I can ONLY sense a great season coming up, and this news about Lloris is just the boost the MP, and the squad, could of done with before heading away to the States for pre-season.

Perhaps dampened expectations from some Spurs supporters could help the club moving into the new campaign, but I for one, will be starting the season the same way I begin EVERY season... dreaming of WINNING THE LEAGUE!!!

With:
    • the DEPTH of playing staff Spurs have (along with some talented youth players getting opportunities in the 1st team, as well as the removal of some dead wood).
    • a FIERCELY ambitious chairman, who is guaranteed to back the manager with a substantial amount of transfer funds to remould the squad.
    • and a INTELLIGENT new-coach, who possesses the kind of CLEAR and PROVEN philosophy and playing style I, and the club, have been crying out for, for years.
    ...I am EXTREMELY optimistic about the clubs chances this upcoming season.

Arsenal, Man City/Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea can do what the like with regards to transfers, as far as I'm concerned, NOTHING will alter the faith I have in the ,core, pool of talent Spurs have in that squad...as well as the collective/ individual potential for growth.

My message for the Spurs supporters who LACK my belief, faith and sense of optimism about the team, or the prospects of the club, ahead of upcoming campaign would do well to consider that:

• The Cockerel on the shirt, does NOT cower!
    • The Cockerel on the shirt does NOT concede defeat on it's objectives (WITHOUT so much as a ball being kicked in anger)!
    • The Cockerel on the shirt does flinch in the face of adversity!
    • The Cockerel on the shirt is NOT afraid of a challenge!
    As you can, probably, tell by now, the Cockerel that is emblazoned on the front of the Tottenham Hotspur shirt MEANS something to me. As does the posture/stance, the design, of the Cockerel adopts.

It stands TALL, BOLD and PROUD, as a representation of the club (AS DO I) and it is this message that I am CONVINCED Poch will, like myself if I was in charge of the team, instil into the players....along with a philosophy (that suits the group he has at his disposal), a solid forward-thinking tactical game-plan, good man-management skills, and just a good ol' fashioned bit of common sense management.

If there is one thing the doubtful, naysayers SHOULD have learnt about the beautiful game, had they done their homework, is football is NOT simply about who has the most money -as Dortmund, Liverpool, Crystal Palace, QPR, Atletico Madrid and Costa Rica (to name a few) have shown (in different regards) over the last year, or so.

It is about a collective coming together with a common goal, a CLEAR plan on how to achieve their objectives, and having the belief, intelligence and talent, to be able to execute a well structured plan/strategy!

KNOWING this, AS I DO, is what fuels the enthusiasm, excitement and belief I have regarding the fortunes of the side this season.

In the wise words of Ramos The Relentless : 'To love my club, I MUST learn to love myself, and my dreams/aspirations'. ;)

Last edited: July 11, 2014
    Spurporter likes this.
  13. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

We all know and agree that contracts and extensions don't always mean a great deal but with Lloris signing at this point in time I can only see it as a positive after all if the player had really wanted a move to PSG this year he could have made it happen and probably for a lot more money than he's on now. Of course Lloris isn't committing his whole future to spurs or even the next five years but we've got him for another year or two unless a silly offer comes in. If this happens so be it, the new contract will increase the players value significantly, so a smart move by the club in protecting its assets. I'm also pleased that Lloris has returned from the WC and made statements to reaffirm his commitment to the club for the upcoming season lets hope that Jan does the same. As far as Daws as captain goes I just don't see it happening, he got a good run last year mostly due to injuries but if he does stay theres no way he will be considered as a first team regular particularly if we continue with the high line defence that MP also seems to favour. I still believe we need to get in a CB or two that suit MPs style of play.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button