DeAndre Yedlin Features for USA in Holland

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by dnoll5, June 6, 2015.

Share This Page

1. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

Tottenham right back/right midfielder DeAndre Yedlin played a key role in the USA’s 4-3 friendly win against the Netherlands in Amsterdam on Friday. The game is the first of three friendlies that the United States are playing in preparation for the 2015 Gold Cup (the CONCACAF version of the European Championships).

After playing games earlier in the week in Malaysia and Australia, Yedlin started the game from the bench. He came into the game in the 57th minute and took his place on the right side of the American midfield.

He made an immediate impact on the game, receiving a long ball down the right hand side within seconds of coming on. He fizzed a cross into the box, but it was deflected away by a Dutch defender.

He had another chance in the 61st minute, as he showcased his speed down the right flank. Again, he sent an enticing cross into the box, and again, a Dutch head was the first to the ball.

Defensively, Yedlin was tasked with controlling newly signed Manchester United winger Memphis Depay. For the most part, he handled Depay, only once losing his man and allowing the ex-PSV man a shot on goal in the 62nd minute.

Yedlin’s best moment came in the 70th minute, when after the US broke up play in the center of the field, Yedlin received a pass from Michael Bradley deep in the Dutch box. DeAndre controlled the ball and sent an inch-perfect pass to a surging John Brooks who calmly slotted it into the Dutch goal.

The assist is DeAndre’s first with the senior club. The US face Germany on June 10 and Guatemala on July 3 before the Gold Cup begins in earnest on July 7. If the US progress deep in the tournament, Yedlin (if he makes the squad) will have the chance to play meaningful football until July 26.

2. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Starting to think this kid is the real deal, like Kyle Walker but with a brain and a final delivery

Felon82 likes this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Def like what ive seen so far, think walker has become a liability injury prone and complacent so we need a pacey hungry RB and yedlin fits the bill

4. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Had a good game in Sydney and showed some pace going forward but he's a bit of a lightweight and nowhere near ready to tackle the FB role. Personally and with Wimmer coming in id prefer to see more of Dier at RB.

5. mike Morris New Member

Looks to me like he'd be a good right winger. Maybe with Dier behind him. Still hope walker gets back to his best though

6. big fran Guest

I wouldn't envisage him displacing him soon if anytime at all! The yanks keepers and Dempsey apart struggle in this league. Wimmer I'd imagine is bk up to the left sided centre half JV and more one for the future. A swoop for a right sided centre half is needed to replace the inept cumbersome error prone fazio with dier again to deputize on that side of defence would mean with have the sound makings of a strong bk four with cover in all berths. A ball winner in front is an essential position and Schneiderlin looks to be getting priced out of a move to a CL club he craves which could open the door up for us. Kondogbia another quality player of that position linked but like the former may prove to expensive. Personally I would prefer dembele to get the nod but I fear not. McCarthy or song could prove to be more cheaper value for money targets with both west ham and the toffees dithering over contracts.
    This would give the front four more freedom to express themselves with a solid base in behind them. Martial this morning strongly linked but looking frighteningly overpriced with a record of a goal every 4 games or so. I don't believe spurs are looking for a front line striker topartner or compete with kane but more a second line striker who can play a few positions in behind also which rules out benteke which for me leaves only berahinho after Ings impending move to Liverpool.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button