Bigger Fish to Fry

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Felon82, October 25, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So just as we capped off a really good week, we moved on to 1 of our Domestic cup campaigns.

A few changes as to be expected in the early rounds especially against a minnow side like a struggling West Ham.

Out the blocks we came and the 30 million pound man mountain Sissoko scored for us and a good goal it was too. If he carries on scoring at this rate he may equal Lamelas goal record in another season or 2.

Then Alli tucked his effort in the far corner to make it 2 and that was it you thought, this new Spurs side have got this wrapped up now nice and comfortable just gotta close the game and see it out.

Then all of a sudden the Spurs of the last 30 + years came back (the clues in the name) and we concede 3 goals in 15 minutes, leaving a huff n puff finish with nothing to show for it.

Of course we'll have our army of Silver lining fans with the Excuses book ready Telling us we have bigger Fish to Fry but that's a bit Rich from a club that's returned 3 trophies in 30 + years and is approaching a 10 year baron run.

What are we focusing on now ? Putting the pressure on the eventual winner of the Premier League?
    Another Bridesmaid season awaits us.

Fair enough the league cup is the least prestigious of Trophies available but to squander a 2 goal lead to West Ham is poor.

Last edited: October 25, 2017
    Bazza47 and 71yid like this.
  2. I'm fcuking fuming with those wankers tonight, they got no idea what piss taking we will have to put up with again...as you said the Spurs of my lifetime turned up.

Bazza47 likes this.
  3. Del Guest

I agree..... I feel absolutely embarrassed that we threw a 2-0 lead against West spam away! Some fans may say but we had our 2nd team out.... yeah we made 7 changes from the weekend but we still should beat West spam with that team tonight especially 2-0 up!!! Winning this cup wud of been a great step towards the glory days but after tonight I feel that old familiar feeling again that we had a perfect chance and blew it again ?? Which makes me think have we really progressed and learned from the past! Because Man U and Chelsea seem to take this trophy seriously enough to want to win it yet we seem not too when we haven’t won anything for a long time and again I did think some payers are not up to standard and poch left it too late again to change it when it was so obvious what was coming after their 1st goal went in !!! Very frustrated and very worried of how this result will effect us for the weekend!!!! COYS

4. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Admittedly, I was as frustrated and disappointed as most who support Spurs, would be, with that 2nd half display.

We got complacent, ESPECIALLY in the midfield department, and invited pressure, which in truth West Ham didn't have to work too hard to apply.

I was particularly discouraged with the display of Dier, in that regard, as he NEEDS consider himself our ' Midfield General' IF he seriously harbours any hope of holding onto that midfield berth once Dembele & in-particularly Wanyama regain full- fitness.

Listen, I don't want be too harsh as Eric's form has been good this season, so far. But I would have loved to see him REALLY spark into to action at the start of the 2nd half when our level appeared to dropped. Encourage, rollick, organise.. something!!!

Instead, he did very little..and he wasn't the only one.

But, look, this team/squad is STILL very much a work in progress. And one of the most impressive things about the unit MP is so masterfully assembling is that it LEARNS (relatively) quickly.

So that is what they must do again...LEARN, and MOVE ON!!!

Big game on the weekend, and I for one am VERY excited!!!

COYSSSSS

5. SteveS86 Guest

Disappointed, only because it was that lot. Do I care about the cup? Not in the slightest. Whilst I would have liked to have seen us go all the way, that's 5 less games we now have to play which considering we're very likely to progress from our group in the CL and we're going to go second on Saturday, we cannot afford to lose anymore ground on City. Title is on for us this year, honestly believe that if we can have a real clear run at it, we'll overtake city.

That shambles tonight is nowhere near our strongest XI, Davies returning from illness, Rose first game in 10 months, Hugo, Serge, Jan, Big H and little H all 100% fit for weekend. Eriksen only had 10 minutes also so he'll also be fresh as a daisy.

Onwards and upwards,

COYS!

6. Poor result - should never let a 2-0 lead slip

Ramos you often make some interesting comments but do us a favour and go easy on the caps and the bold- it ruins the flow of the writing rather than emphasising as you are intending it to

7. tavistock1 New Member

We re not going to win any of the bigger fish to fry. If you do not play your strongest team you can't complain when you get beat. Poch is a frigging idiot as yet again he treats this competition as rubbish.

8. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

We PROVED that we DO, actually, have a very good squad tonight, as we have done throughout the early part of this campaign. (That is not to say that it cannot be improved)

We also PROVED that there is much work still to be done before MP can finally put this club back where it truly belongs.

This is NOT the end of this PROCESS..It has ONLY just begun!!!

THFC is on its way...

9. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Oh, and as for that favour VOR... The answer on this occasion, My friend, is very much a HELL NO!!! :cool:

Felon82 likes this.
  10. Big fran Guest

It is true that it's the least prestigious of all the trophies on offer but certainly the easiest especially as we were heading into the quarters with some easy opposition in the hat still. I would have loved to have won this trophy or any trophy in fact.
    What I will say is this... Out of all the lineups in this round Pick fielded by far the strongest. By far. Regardless of his comments about his priorities beforehand this was a team put out to progress.
    The blame for me lays purely with the players that played tonight. Harry was never going to play a part in the game given his injury scare last Sunday and a massive game looming Saturday.

burnt, Felon82 and Ramos43 like this.
  11. guesty Guest

a (West Ham fan) mate of mine was straight on to me after the game...blabbing on about it.

I said..... "your football club cheats its fans. their only intention every season is to beat us. they do not care about results against any other team. the only game they show any passion in is against us. Its the only game Mark 'fecking' Noble wants to gets his face on the tele to say how good his team are. ....they aren't"

as the title says...bigger fish to fry

let's move on

Ramos43 likes this.
  12. Cheshuntboy Guest

Everyone connected with the club in any way, from players to supporters, seems to believe that we deserve to be bracketed with the giants of the domestic and European scene because we've got a couple of players coveted by Real Madrid (just as we had under Redknapp with Bale and Modric), and we had a good run in the league last season. Sorry, but we'll never be in that company so long as glorious failure is good enough for the club, as it still seems to be for many fans. Two league cups and one FA Cup in thirty-three years, and people are saying that we don't need the distraction of such trivial domestic trophies because we're going for the big ones - really? Pochettino seems happy to ditch everything bar the PL (and I don't know his real feelings about the CL - he didn't seem worried by last season's disastrous campaign), but we blew the chance two years ago when we only had Leicester to see off; we couldn't get the better of Chelsea last year, and now City are looking horribly good - SOMETHING is surely better than nothing, even for Pochettino.

Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  13. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Excellent post Cheshuntboy and my sentiments exactly.

As the saying goes don't Run before you can Walk.

Poo pooing trophies we can't even win for even bigger trophies we can't win it's setting the Bar in no man's land to cover up abject failure.

It's like yer average Jo staying a Virgin his whole life coz he's waiting for Kelly Brook to show up at his door.

Last edited: October 26, 2017
  14. 71yid

71yid Member

This result has really pissed me off. Great start to the match but what went wrong? I knew West ham would be gunning for some sort of revenge given their abject performance earlier this season at the Olympic but an embarrassing second half and some terrible defending in areas has come back to haunt us....a bit like the days of Ardiles and Hoddle managed teams in recent years.....storming into a 2/3 nil lead only to **** it all up in typical Tottenham tradition. This cup has its critics and almost always is treated with disdain among the PL elite but i personally think we should have gone all out to land this trophy instead of once again setting our ambitious sights on the title and Champions league as our only priority. I saw a team last night(second string) good enough to finish off a poor Hammers side stuffed at home by Brighton..yes Brighton last fri, but once again just like last season we seem unable to complete the task without Kane, Eriksen etc which suggests that those responsible for last nights surprise debacle simply arent good enough. We get rid of Soldado and Janssen and bring in Llorente who never looked at the races and unless Kanes injured, is going to be playing second fiddle for 10 mins a match every now and then. Credit, reluctantly, is given to the other lot who rolled their sleeves up and bought us back down to earth following our recent games in which we thought the Wembley "hoodoo" was a thing of the past....think again. Its Old Trafford next and it wont be easy. Expect an onslaught from Utd this weekend following the slip up at Huddersfield last week.

Bazza47 likes this.
  15. burnt Well-Known Member

If we hadn't scored then you might have a point about Kane and Eriksen not playing but we were 2 nil up so I can't buy that argument at all .. We managed without Kane last season for 10 games or so and played far better teams then West Ham so in not buying that excuse ... That team was good enough to get the job done i.m.o ... 2nil up @ half time , you shouldn't be loosing against anyone ... And as for Wembley Hoodoo , well as Jim Royal would say " hoodoo my arse " ... All came down to attitude , something we couldn't accuse this team or Pochs teams in general of lacking at any stage ... It's a long time since we lost a game having a 2 goal lead , hopefully it will be a long time before it happens again ... Im as pissed off as anyone else about it but let's keep it in context ....

Nomadico likes this.
  16. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Welcome back Ramos, I've missed you.

Felon82 likes this.
  17. Bazza47

They can be allowed one Shite performance like that once per season, but ONLY ONCE.
    A defeat at home to them, after dominating, has to be about the worst we could have done.
    Shabby.

burnt likes this.
  18. Bazza47

One of the stand out things were how off the pace the non regulars were. Llorente, Rose, Dembele when he came on, plus Eriksen offered now't.

I watched it unfold, wasn't surprised and I just knew we would lose it. That's sad, even if the past dictates that we've historically been capable of **** **** ups.
    It's just that under Poch we haven't....and it was
    THEM.

Grrrrr!!

19. Bazza47

And two games away from the final.....at home even.

20. Mick

Mick Member

Disappointing result , I thought it all went wrong with Son continually giving the ball away cheaply allowing them to get upfield to win the set pieces. A most infuriating player. Anybody agree

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button