Priorities for next season (2020/2021), how to approach recruitment?

Discussion in 'Featured' started by Jesper, July 27, 2020.

?

Approach to recruitment

1. 1. Tweak the strategy from the past

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2. Copy another club and tweak to suit

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. 3. Something else, please specify

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Share This Page

1. Jesper Member

The 2019/2020 season is over, time to look for the next one :)

There are a couple of ways of deciding how to approach the recruitment:
    1. Look at what the club did in the past and if successful then tweak it a little
    2. Look at what other more successful clubs did and copy their approach and tweak it a little
    3. Something else

The previous approach:
    https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...ottenham-have-made-under-mauricio-pochettino/
    Possibly it can be tweaked, just be better at selecting the signing. However, it is not easy to find the underpriced gems so the 'just be better' might be very difficult.

My preference would be to buy one given starter rather then buying several players and hoping that at least one will make it into the starting eleven. It might be a high-risk strategy, Ndombele hasn't started enough matches so it isn't a guarantee for success.

And in my opinion then the focus should be on buying what is needed over buying what appears to be good value....
    Buying cheap for a position where there is already strength might make fiscal sense (especially for a selling club which Spurs is hopefully not any more) but results-wise then buying to strengthen a weak position is what I consider to be the only way forward.

2. Ad

3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Our transfer strategy for way too long never has anything to do with what the team is in need or in desperate need of.

Because of Dr Bald Aids and his obsession with making and not spending any money.

Until he fvcks off and dies nothing will change at the club.

The sheer contempt he has for the fans and the sheer negligence towards the team/squad/management knows no bounds.

4. Guesty Guest

I don't see any change to the way we have done things in the past..... but.....

did DL just bring JM in to get into Europe this season? ..... in which case job done
    Or.... did he bring JM in to improve the squad with a view to top4 next season? ..... in which case surely he knows the type of players JM tends to buy to bring success.

we shall see if he backs JM to get us back into the top4.....

As JM will not be content just with top4.... he will want to challenge for the title. Its the way he is. I'm not his biggest fan but he wants to win.

5. Preed

Preed Active Member

Sorry guests but if Jose wants to be higher than top 4 then the league management will have to put an embargo on transfers for the current top 4.we were 40 points behind Liverpool that is 13 wins and a draw and Chelsea have already spent more than our entire budget and will be given more if they need it.I guess united will also get more money if they need it and City have unlimited funds.Lets be Honest 5th place is the best we can hope for and I suspect Wolves and the scum to be stronger.All in all not a lot to raise hopes.I just hope we become watchable which we have not been for a while

Felon82 likes this.
  6. Preed

Preed Active Member

Watching Fulham versus Cardiff Brilliant goal for Fulham by player not considered good enough by Pochetino jos onomah more skill than Winks and Sissoko combined

7. Leespur Guest

Another season finishes without a trophy how far we have fallen since I was a 18year old in 1984 watching us lift the uefa cup never in my worst nightmare did I think we would only win 3 more trophies just to think that win in 84 brought us level with arsenal as the joint 3rd most successful trophy winning team in England to a team that has lost 8 fa cup semis on the spin and 3 other final defeats I would like to think things will change but just can’t see it myself

8. Preed

Preed Active Member

Gossip says we are close to signing Hojbjerg but say levy has offered 15 mil .Everton have supposedly offered what Southampton want 25 mil.If Walker peters is included it makes sense if not we could lose out again due to this tight idiots idea of him being the only One to understand the value of players.Why if we need him don’t we pay up just once or risk having the same result as with Fernandes and have to look again for a cheap imitation

9. Jesper Member

Any preference on spending 50 million on one player or spend the same amount but getting two players? (or if 30 million or whatever is considered to be realistic is the spend, is one or two players preferred?)

For me then I'd say that to be able to dominate teams and win against them then what is needed is a midfield capable of moving the ball fast within the team. As is Spurs does not have that so for me then I'd like money to be spent to replace the weakest link.

Spending money on somewhere else will leave the weakest link in place and won't be the most cost-effective way of improving the team.

When I look at the starting eleven against Crystal Palace then I see the weakest link as being in the center of the midfield and therefore there is where I see the greatest need for strengthening.

ENIC/Levi did authorise spending last season, they are shrewd enough to know that to make money they need to invest money. What came in last season hasn't been a great success - with the money spent on Ndombele then my expectation is that he'd have been a regular starter.
    He seemed to be the kind of player who'd have been great against the lesser and possibly also the greater teams - he could score from distance, he could go past his man, he had the eye for a killer pass and a big physical presence (which I consider to be an over-rated attribute but still).

If Ndombele can't become a regular starter for Spurs then sell him.

10. Preed

Preed Active Member

I agree that we have a weakness in midfield that is why I mention Hojbjerg although we still need some craft and unfortunately these players cost a lot of money.We are also weak indefence especially at full back so where do we spend the money.If we were Chelsea or city it would be on both but we don’t have an owner who spends money.I suspect our saving grace may be that we can still get a decent price for ndombele who must be sold if Mourino is going to leave him on the bench and we could still get decent money for Ali although I would keep him if he could get back to his initial seasons form.There are some good players in the championship but with our Very poor scouting team they probably don’t get noticed.Good luck Jose

11. Guesty Guest

looks like JM's 5 man transfer list might come in for about the same, or less than, the price of NDumb.
    If we can move on NDumb for some of that..... good news

NB..... please tell me I've misread this...... Leeds want to spend £15m on Foyth!?!?!?

12. Jesper Member

Next season looks to be more compressed with less rest between matches so rotation might be needed more than other seasons. One area where there tend to be rotation might be FB & with a decision to be made on the central midfield - Ndombele, can he be a regular starter, there might be need to make early decisions on:
    -Rose, final year on his contract which should make him more motivated to perform. Keep him, sell him or? If he's not kept then is there a young one good enough to be rotated in?
    -KWP, got to play for Southampton and if he likes playing matches then if it can be honestly said that he'll be a rotated in and play a lot then maybe keep him. If not then sell? If he is sold, is there another one already at the club ready to be rotated in?

I would prefer early decisions on the need to strengthen areas and maybe a late great surprise addition of flair. Am not a big fan of surprises so hoping the business gets done early.

13. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Brighton sign veltman for 900k , 28 yes old experience can play RB aswell as CB.
    Why are we napping on this?

14. Preed

Preed Active Member

We are napping because we don’t have a scouting system worth it’s salt and have not had for a few years sincel Levy drove Mitchell out of the club.Other clubS seem to have people who know the foreign market while we seem to buy duds most of the time .I believe Mitchell was responsible for Son andAli while the current incumbents get us ndombele and fernandes Mark 2.There are good players to be had abroad if you know where to look.Seems Man U are now after Jimenez from wolves while we are excited about a 15 year old from Wigan and we are still bargaining about Hojbjerg.wouldit not be nice if just once Levy paid up without trying to cultivate his image as a hard bargainer.Unfortunately this demise started under Pochetino who was not strong enough to stand up to Levy.We will probably be left with players we don’t want because the fly boy wants excessive money for them as usual

Felon82 likes this.
  15. Preed

Preed Active Member

Apparently spurs are not going to sell ndombele so does that mean Mourino has changed his mind about him then and will play him if not why are we not getting the money for him while we can so we can buy some new players.If we wait and he does not perform his value will drop...I personally would love ndombele to deliver because he has the skill factor missing in our midfield but he can’t do that if Mourino won’t play him.Is this just levy being *****ic or what???

16. Preed

Preed Active Member

Why oh why does he do it.rumour has it that 3 clubs have bid for Hojbjerg but he wants to come to spurs so levy offers less than the other clubs.How long before Southampton say no sale although I believe they need to sell so they can buy.If I was a player and knew 3 clubs wanted me and were prepared to pay to get me then I would think twice about joining a club who were basically under valueing me.This is why every body says that Levy is a hard bargainer but Spurs fans know he is just a penny pinching obstacle stopping our great club from progressing

Felon82 likes this.
  17. Preed

Preed Active Member

I am surprised how quiet this site has become.I know we are at the end of season but it’s only a few weeks before the new one starts.Over the past two years I have enjoyed the views and banter on here although not agreeing with them all it was fun.Now it seems that we only get about 4or5 regulars posting.What happened to the vibrant comments when we were arguing about Pochetino or Mourino??Are we waiting for the transfer window to close before having a n opinion or are we all numb from the rubbish served up for the last 12 months.Come on chaps keep the site interesting and vibrant

18. Felon82 Well-Known Member

The transfer window is open which means more dissapointment and disillusion , what's there to talk about ?
    Everything that we need and won't get again.
    The jam tomorrow promise of 20 years, where the ceiling of ambition is 'being competitive' is as boring as it sounds and we've just got more of the same for the foreseeable.

19. Preed

Preed Active Member

Just watched the gooners do chelski in the cup final and realised that Chelsea who have already signed 2 attacking players and a third one on the way don’t have a clue how to defend and if they don’t sign any defenders we could still finish above them.Arsenal rely on their only world class player so let’s hope Barca come in for him

20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

The one and only time I saw us win the FACUP was at the time a record of 8 times winners.

Today the worst Scum side in my life time lifted it for a record 14th time.

And we have an ownership that has the cheek to charge top prices for being 'competitive' (the bare minimum any professional sports team should set the bar at)

Depressing

21. Big fran Guest

Must be of a similar age to myself felon. If someone would have told me after the 91 triumph it would be over 30yrs till our next one I'd have thought they were off their heads high. It was another false dawn really a team with top players stewert gazza Lineker and youngsters coming through to build upon we sold off the crown jewels and was years of misery since really.

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button