Vincent & Victor: the summer signings that will kill 4-2-3-1?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, July 8, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    A second summer signing seems imminent at Spurs, with numerous media outlets reporting that Vincent Janssen is London-bound from AZ Alkmaar. With Janssen set for his ”dream move”, Spurs are surprising many by getting their business done early this season — a trait that has often eluded Daniel Levy in previous transfer windows.

The only aspect more impressive than Spurs’ willingness to act (and not react) in the transfer market, is that they are addressing areas of the squad that were in clear need of strengthening.

Like for like signings… you could say that

One of the main factors behind Spurs’ title challenge last season was due to a group of core players that were part of the team’s central spine. However, when two specific players in that spine (Harry Kane and Moussa Dembele) were unavailable or misfiring, Poch’s system ultimately stalled.

Strong, athletic and powerful with the ball, Victor Wanyama is almost Moussa Dembele no 2 — except that the Kenyan only lacks Dembele’s ability to breeze past opposition players via close control.

Our other signing(-in-waiting) Vincent Janssen, is a two-footed finisher with exceptional link-up and hold-up play, and he’s also been praised in his home country for his tireless work ethic. Whereas Janssen lacks Kane’s height, the Dutchmen possesses more pace — almost a like for like with Kane, wouldn’t you say?

Tactical change for two, please

Although our new signings will provide adequate back-up should Kane or Dembele prove injured, unavailable or out-of-form — it’s hard to fathom that Spurs would spend a combined £28m on two players, just for them to play second fiddle.

Wanyama is, without a doubt, good enough to start for Spurs already (alongside Dembele), while Janssen will provide a different dynamic to our attack should he start. The question is remains: will he get to play alongside Kane?

My answer is that Wanyama and Janssen could spell the end of Pochettino’s beloved 4-2-3-1 at Spurs, for the time being. Many have speculated whether Pochettino will revert to the Biesla-inspired 3-4-2-1, a formation that was used to great effect in our 2-1 win away at Watford in December last year.

How would it work?

The 3-4-2-1, which can become a 5-4-1 when we’re defending — or a 3—4—3 when in attack, would not only make good use of our new signings, but will also suit the players currently at Poch’s disposal. Unlike our 4-2-3-1, the main changes to our tactic would incorporate: three central defenders; two attacking midfielders behind our striker; and two box-to-box midfielders in the centre of the park.

Danny Rose and Kyle Walker would excel as wing-backs once again, except they will now have more license to go forward, knowing there will be three central-defenders covering (ideally Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Dier when all are fully fit) behind them.

When in possession, Dier would be able to roam slightly forward from his position as the most central defender, as two box-to-box midfielders — Wanyama and Dembele are able to strike the right balance between defence and attack. Both players are not only comfortable on the ball, but have the stature and presence to impose themselves on the opposition midfield.

In front of these powerhouses, you have the option of Eriksen, Alli, Lamela and Son as our two central attacking midfielders. Another tactic that could be explored would be to play a 3-4-1-2 — playing one CAM (most likely Eriksen) in order to pair Kane and Janssen up front together.

If yes to three centre-backs, is another needed?

If Pochettino opts to play three at the back (in order to compensate for Janssen alongside Kane up front), that would lead to only one central defender as back-up — the extremely talented Austrian, Kevin Wimmer. But with Vertonghen currently out of action, after sustaining an ankle injury during Belgium’s Euro 2016 campaign, it is unquestionable that Wimmer will start the season in Jan’s place.

If this is the case, it would seem obvious that Spurs would have to be in the market for another defender — or so it would seem. Another option, that I believe to be viable, is to have Ben Davies as the main cover in central defence. If you, like me, have watched Wales during Euro 2016 — it’s hard to argue against Ben Davies as not only one of the star players in the Wales side, but one of the star players of the entire tournament. Alongside James Chester and Ashley Williams in a back three, Ben Davies has more than proved his versatility in his ability to do a job a centre-back — something that I believe Pochettino will be all too aware of.

Where the days of Spurs fans crying out “4-4-2” seemed to have vanished, Pochettino now has had two seasons to mould a Spurs squad in his image. His high-pressing and fluid 4-2-3-1 had (more than) a shaky start at Spurs during his first season, but then proved mostly successful the following year. While many fans hope Poch is able to formulate a “Plan B” for this coming season, the signings of both Wanyama and Janssen could lead to whole new Plan A.

Last edited: July 11, 2016
  2. burnt Guest

We more or less play with 3 center backs all the time with Dier sitting and the full backs pushed up .... Can see Janssen and Kane playing 9 + 10 in tandem if we play the 2 together so I don't see any big changes to the system , it just gives us more options ... Also don't think Victor is anywhere near last year's Dembele , last season's version was a monster , lets hope he doesn't revert to the Dembele of old ... Some say we need to sign a proper winger but we don't play with wingers , our full backs are our wingers ... Obviously others drift out wide at times but it couldn't be described as traditional wing play ... I will be surprised if we don't sign another attack minded player weather that's another out and out striker or someone to fit into the supporting 3 time will tell ... Poch has always been a man to give the young fellas a chance and personally I think that's only right and proper and I hope it continues but we are in a completely different situation now then this time last year , there's a lot more expectations now and Champs Lg football to boot so will be interesting to see does this trend continue ... Interesting times ahead ..... C.O.Y.S .....

Nomadico likes this.
  3. Albert Ellis Guest

Brilliant article....it seems that under Poch our transfers are more what we really need than buying for the sake of it. Obviously with Champions league matches added to an already hectic schedule....we need players that fit in instantly and be effective and direct in our system.It is difficult these days to keep a static 451 and and leaving Kane as the main striker....as good as he might be he needs competition and to score goals you need proven strikers.Wanyama will def add bite in the middle.....when Moussa was out we where a shambles in the middle.I'll be looking forward to watching the lads in a very competitive pre season.....with great games coming up against Juventus and Atletico.....

4. Big fran Guest

Really don't anticipate a system change though I agree our squad is tailor made for the 352. May play a different system here and there but that's about it. Like the fact we aren't buying and collecting squad players with these boys capable of starting matches rather than sub standard stand ins..

Nomadico likes this.
  5. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Nothing will kill 4-2-3-1 as long as Poch is in charge. This is a young team, let 'em learn one system well before confusing with some others. System is not an issue with Spurs, consistency is as well as the lack of depth. Hopefully new signings will address the later one and, in turn, will positively affect the former. COYS!

6. Nomadico Well-Known Member

We will have to wait until we travel down under to see what system Poch is working on,last season we only played with a plan A so it is a refreshing change to see Poch use a possible plan B,this team is looking good, we just need to get rid of a few dead beats then we are ready..COYS..

7. Big fran Guest

What's everyone's thoughts on Winjaldum?? I'm undecided.. Kills a few birds with one stone due to his versatility..

8. Nomadico Well-Known Member

If his price was half what they are asking for then he would be a good buy,but at the present level no way. There are better player's out there we could use the cash on,plus we should start getting rid of our dead wood before buying again just to balance the book's.;COYS..

9. guesty Guest

I'm interested to see Janssen play. he's really only had one season at a decent team. is that enough to believe he can pull on the Spurs shirt and do the business?? ...£17m is a lot of money considering it is only based on that one season. ....as always with any purchase....especially one who's there to score goals...I hope he does well.

As for Winjaldum....he'd be a good buy. We need strength in depth...and the only way to get rid of the dross we have as back-up....is to buy better players. and he's a better player.

Pritchard......I wonder what will happen to him. he has the potential...but if we do keep buying better players....him...Mason...Carroll....will all go

10. Chris #2

Chris #2 New Member

Good article. I dont think Poch is going away from 4-2-3-1 - but he is definitely strengthening the 3-4-2-1/5-4-1 options. I suspect we will see Wanyama brought on late in games where Spurs are in the lead - replacing Lamela or Eriksen. Ofc Wanyama will also be used in cup games and as a solid replacement in case of injuries. I guess his direct comparison on the bench is Bentaleb/Mason, but Bentaleb just hasnt been playing very well lately, and lacks vision in the offensive. Mason is a solid player, but lack some of the defensive qualities Wanyama possess.

All-in-all a very good signing. Wanyama could potentially make it to the starting 11 at some point.

11. Big fran Guest

Must say very underwhelmed by the potential signing of the French kid from Marseille. Really wanted a top marquee esque type player in that role who could come in and hit the ground running adding goals assists and cutting edge. A player who could really unlock doors in big games and tight games.

Nomadico likes this.
  12. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Not sure of the French kid, Big Fran,but concerned that Clint Njie could go the other way,the lad hardly played last season,he had NO Pre season then picked up a injury so what chance did he have to show Poch what he could do..This sends the wrong message to other player's COYS.

13. Big fran Guest

Yeah fair to say Clinton hasn't really been given a fair crack of the whip. Yeah didn't show much with the little amount of time he's had but can't forger that he was only 21 when signed probably doesn't speak great English and moved to a new country. Not always easy to settle asap..

14. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Can any one tell me the logic of buying a player for 12m Euro, he gets a injury plays a few minutes and now is being sold for 7m Euros less than a year later!!!Madness,he never had a chance to show what he could do plus he want's to stay and fight for his place but we push him out.....

15. burnt Guest

Far more established players have come to Prem Lg and it hasn't worked out for them for whatever reason , and while I agree , it certainly looks from the outside like he hasn't been given anything like a fair crack , we don't really know what's going on on the inside and if the decision is made between all parties to cut our losses then they obviously have their reasons ... I wouldn't be too sure about the figures been quoted either , after all look who's quoting them and look at the amount of absolute nonsense they've plucked from their tiny imaginations so far this window , it doesn't sound like a Levy type scenario to me , but I'm just speculating , like the journalists do 99.9% of the time .... Football journalism must be one of the biggest spoofers jobs in the modern world , when you see the **** in these rags and then shows like the Sunday Supplement , what a shower of righteousness Walter Mitty,s .... " Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day " .....

Nomadico likes this.
  16. Big fran Guest

Think this could be a signing that could just cap of a very productive transfer window. A game changer who can make the difference such as an hazard,bale ronaldo maybe..

17. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Just watched the lads go thru a good training session at Ammi park. A good turnout considering the weather (p1ssed down) and habe to say that mostly they looked sharp amd keen. Poch very vocal during a very energetic practice match. Son in particular looks cherry ripe and ready to start, he also had a bit of fun with the fans which was good to see. Also good to get a look at the new signings. Cant wait for game tmoro at the G.
    COYS..

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button