Player Ratings - Spurs 2:0 Brighton & Hove Albion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, October 29, 2014.

Share This Page

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    Spurs eased past Championship side Brighton to book their spot in the quarter-finals of the Capital One Cup thanks to goals from Erik Lamela and Harry Kane.

The hosts went in at the break frustrated having failed to break the deadlock despite taking the majority of possession, but half-time substitute Lamela combined with Roberto Soldado brilliantly to pass home midway through the second period.

Another excellent flowing move was finished off by Kane, who scored his 8th goal of the season and his 2nd in 2 League Cup games, after Brighton’s teenage goalkeeper had parried the initial effort from Andros Townsend.

The game fizzled out from then on in as Spurs dictated the pace and got their name in the pot for the final 8.

Player Ratings

Michel Vorm 6 – Hardly tested due to a resilient defence, but thanks largely to Brighton’s lack of attacking threat. The Seagulls never got close to the Dutchman’s goal, making their first meaningful chance 4 minutes from time.

Kyle Naughton 7 – Who’s have thought the Spurs faithful would be so happy to see this guy back in action? 12months ago Naughton was the scapegoat, but now he seems to be the preferred man in Kyle Walker’s absence. Although Eric Dier’s weekend performance may have helped his cause, Naughton worked the right channel excellently tonight.

Jan Vertonghen 7 – Much more of a Vertonghen-esque performance from the Belgian, who moved the ball out of the back 4 consistently well. We’re much more used to him driving out of defence and into midfield when the opportunity is there, something that Fazio allows more than the marauding Kaboul.

Federico Fazio 7 – Commanding display from the big man who impressed as much on the ground as he did in the air tonight. Accounted for the obvious lack of pace by getting his tackles in early, which worked well.

Ben Davies 6 – Showed glimpses of the player we signed from Swansea playing at left-back, linking up well with Aaron Lennon but not so much with Lamela. Delivered from wide much more than we have seen him do previously but lacked cutting edge in the final third.

Benjamin Stambouli 6 – Showed the class we needed in centre-midfield and worked cleverly in tandem with Dembele. Could be accused of playing it safe with most of his passes, but didn’t necessarily put a foot wrong.

Mousa Dembele 6 – Much the same as Stambouli, neither played the more defensive or more offensive role, instead opting to see-saw their responsibilities. We didn’t get to see his cannonball left foot tonight, my only criticism.

Aaron Lennon 7 – Our most creative player of the first half, not entirely sure why he was pulled from the game at half-time. I thought we were back in 2009 when he beat his fullback so many times in the first 45, but as usual the final product was the issue.

Harry Kane 7 – A quietER performance from the youngster, who surely did enough tonight to feature in our game at Villa this weekend. Pochettino seems to feel the same, as Kane was brought off before the end of the match. Scored yet another goal, a poacher’s goal.

Andros Townsend 7 – Did play well thanks to the lack of quality in Brighton’s midfield, but I really believe that this game was Townsend’s “level”. Even the Brighton left-back had him summed up by the end of the game. Andros is the definition of “inverted winger” namely because he has no right foot, but he did provide the energy we needed to get rolling.

Roberto Soldado 7 – Was so unlucky not to hit the net when his right-footed shot shattered the crossbar, and once again showed more promise in the build-up than Adebayor has all season. For me, he benefits the side much more than Ade and that showed with his assist for Lamela’s goal.

SUBS

Erik Lamela 7 – Ran at defenders well playing from the left and grabbed another goal, his 3rd in 3. Reproducing that form in the league is a must.

Nacer Chadli - N/a

Paulinho - N/a

The quarter finals await, and Spurs have been dealt an absolutely massive chance to move into the quarter-finals with yet ANOTHER home clash – this time against Newcastle.

Spurs could really be heading for a League Cup semi-final, as long as we can take revenge on the Geordie lot in mid-December.

Poch’s sode go away to Besiktas and Swansea before facing Newcastle on December 15th, all in the space of 6 days. However the trophy is now there for the taking with just Chelsea, Liverpool and Swansea challenging.

COYS!

2. Kydos Guest

Vorm 6/10 even though there's no criticism of him in the article. Lennon 7/10 for "no final product." Dembele's "only criticism" is no cannonball shots so 6/10. Kane surely performed well enough to start at the weekend but only 7/10? Townsend no right foot? He's as two footed a player as you'll see, has scored some crackers with his right foot. Lamela reproducing tonight's form is a must but only 7/10? These ratings make absolutely no sense.

3. Nicholas Brady New Member

The markings are a bit harsh but near enough the truth you could except them.Naughton's return was huge I think Dier was bought as a centre back and no more,With a bit more balance at the back I have feeling we could go on a nice little run.........CONFIDENCE IS THE MISSING LINK NOT MUCH ELSE...... Let KANE loose in a few weeks and it could be described as masterstroke by POCH............

4. jim spurs Guest

thought soldado had good game , stambouli was excellent, if he keeps playing like that wont be long before he is a first choice selection, lamela changed the game, offers far more than lennon who i thought was uninspiring same could be said for townsend although he improved as the game went on, great to see jan driving out of defence gives us far more intensity and speeds play up, all in all a pretty decent display against a side that defended in numbers

Mattj78 likes this.
  5. Nicholas Brady New Member

There is far more positives to take out the game than complaining about the result We are still into the Q/F so onwards and upwards. Naughton returning was a massive plus and Kane scoring again can only be a good thing, Stambouli and Fazio looked good and can only improve.

6. Tizzit New Member

I think the time has come for Poch to give Soldado a run in the team. It is clear that Lamela and Soldado thrive off each other and this was evident all the way through pre-season. I can't for the life of me understand why they haven't been on the same pitch more often! Some fans have written Soldado off as a flop but I completely disagree with that notion - if he is played regularly, along with with Lamela, he will score as well as a create. He has proven his effectiveness in a few outings this season. When we first signed him, all of us were excited about the prospect of having a proven goalscorer in our team, and its a complete joke that none of our managers have utilised him effectively. Only Spurs can pay £27 million for a striker and not play to his strengths! Furthermore, Harry Kane must be included in the team. He is confident, on form, scoring goals, creating goals and works hard - what more do you need in a striker? I would like to see a front 4 of Lamela - Kane - Erikson - Soldado given the opportunity if Poch insists on sticking with a 4-2-3-1 formation. It does lack a bit of pace but hopefully Townsend can be brought in (or rotated) for any of these players. To finish, Adebayor has to be dropped immediately as he offers little to nothing. He spends most of his time on the left wing getting in the way, is it any wonder we lack goals!?

Last edited: October 30, 2014
    Mattj78 and Deggsy56 like this.
  7. Lennon pace then nothing.

8. stevethespur Active Member

Cant argue with Harry Kanes goals tally this season, he desrves a crack at the premier league. Hes worked at his game and he isnt a youngster any more, lets give him a go ! Great chance for spurs to get some silverware, lets hope Chelski, the pool, and the saints all get knocked out in the Q/Fs. Lamela is big improvement on his first season, thankfully, and still developing. Coys.

Mattj78 likes this.
  9. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Play Kane. He more than deserves his chance. Otherwise he will be gone in January and that would be a big mistake.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button