Player and MANAGER ratings: Bournemouth 0-0 Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, October 22, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Spurs missed the chance to go top of the table today, at least for a few hours, as we battled to a point at the Vitality stadium. Bournemouth pressed with an amazing intensity and Spurs only really threatened in patches.
    Bournemouth were excellent today but Spurs need to address a few issues. It's great that we are tougher but our discipline today was worrying. At times in the first half I felt like we had gone back to Stamford Bridge and at times the players lost their heads and Poch must get that addressed because on another day we could easily have finished with 9 men.
    In terms of the ratings, I have gone for a different style today, giving scores for the first half and second half and an overall rating and I have also given the manager a rating in 3 areas.

As I always say, the ratings are merely my opinion from watching the entire game and I now pass the baton to the rest of the Spurs faithful to give your opinions and player ratings after today's game.

Many thanks for addiditonal analytical data to the 442 Stats zone.

As ever, come on you Spurs!!!!

Lloris - 1st half: 8 - As in midweek, Lloris to the rescue. A great reaction save onto the bar and commanded the box well.
    2nd half: 7- Less to do in terms of saves this half.
    Overall rating: 8- His first half efforts kept Spurs in this game as he did in mid week. A captains performance.

Walker- 1st half: 6- I was hardly aware he was playing in the first half to be honest. Most of the attacking was down the left from Bournemouth and Walker had little chance to get forward.
    2nd half:- 7- Had more joy down the right attacking side in the early second half exchanges but overall pretty quiet. Not because he was poor but because Bournemouth simply pressed Spurs all over the pitch with high intensity.
    Overall rating: 7 - Fairly anonymous although did little wrong.

Dier: 1st half 7- Plenty of work to do and cleared his lines well. Had one header in first half that went over and it was difficult as ball was behind him.
    2nd half: 7- Solid performance again and look shattered at the end.
    Overall rating: 7- Did his job well today and far busier than he would have been expecting.

Vertonghen: 1st half 9
    - One of Verts best showings in a long while. Absolute immense at the back and was fundamental along with Lloris in keeping it level at half time.
    2nd half: 8- One slip toward the end could have been costly but still the boss in the heart of the Spurs defence throughout.
    Overall rating: 9- Our man of the match. Solid and strong and also played some great balls forward. He was clearly frustrated with those in front of him today and understandably so.

Rose: 1st half 7- Given a real run around and has spent most of the first half in his own half. Got forward a couple of times but has been pressed well by Bournemouth and Spurs were really lacking width in the first 45 minutes.
    2nd half: 7- Got forward well and had one good chance on his right foot that he rather scuffed. Got one of Spurs collection of yellow cards today.
    Overall rating: 7- Not bad, not great. Solid but struggled with Bournemouth's high pressing game.

Wanyama: 1st half 6- Not really at it in the first half. Booked again and overrun in the midfield.
    2nd half: 7- Apart from his silly challenges he also committed numerous great tackles and kept Wilshere quiet.
    Overall rating: 7- Better second half but as with others must learn when to keep his head. He will miss matches with red cards or a build up of yellow cards.

Dembele: 1st half 7- strong on the ball and going forward and at the heart of Spurs better attacking play in the first half.
    2nd half: 8- He is a man mountain. At the end he was hurtling back to block off Gradel and put in some shift today. Was the person who looked like he could get Spurs moving forward.
    Overall rating: 8- Strength and power from the beast. One of the 1st on the team sheet for sure.

Eriksen: 1st half 7- Decent when he had the ball and one deflected shot that Boruc saved well at his near post. Bournemouth's midfield kept him well under wraps overall.
    2nd half: 7- A lovely flick set Lamela through but his creativity was stifled in the main.
    Overall rating: 7- Bournemouth stifled him and although he did show signs of his class he wasn't able to dictate the game today.

Dele: 1st half 7- Another player that was hassled and hussled by a very intense and high pressing Bournemouth. Showed one beautiful moment when he did 2 nutmegs and set up Lamela who hit the join of post and bar.
    2nd half: 7- Great control and composure to take the ball and shoot to bring a decent save from Boruc. Taken off in what I can only describe as a ludicrous substitution from Poch.
    Overall rating: 7- Looked lively at times and looked like he was starting to get hold of the game in the second half. He looked as mystified as the rest of us to be withdrawn.

Lamela: 1st half 6- I've given such a low score for his first half because although he was unlucky to hit the woodwork with his weaker foot , his booking and challenges were stupid. A second yellow would have been perhaps harsh but he doesn't do himself any favours.
    2nd half: 5- Put through after a sublime flick by Eriksen but took far too long and was blocked. I don't think he should have started and how he was still on the pitch at the end is beyond me.
    Overall rating: 5- Very poor indeed. A decent shot in the first half but his challenges were silly, he was lucky to not be seeing a red card and needs a kick up the bum. I still like him but his performance today was nowhere near good enough.

Son: 1st half 6- Simply couldn't get into the game. There was little service to him and he had to drift wide to get the ball. Caught offside on 2 occasions when he should be staying onside. Cut a very frustrated figure.
    2nd half: No rating. Heads taken off before he had chance to improve. Would have left him on and played him and Janssen up top to change things around a bit.
    Overall rating 6- A very frustrating afternoon for Son.

Subs -

Janssen -6 Yet again showed that he can hold a ball up but with Kane coming back soon I fear his Spurs career could be very short lived.
    Needs to start a couple and start scoring.

Sissoko- 5- Came on for Alli and we all asked "why?" I thought his elbow was appalling. The ref should see that as he is looking right at it and it was a red card all day long. Came on and added nothing to the teams efforts.

Pochettino

Team selection: 7 - I would have liked to have seen Son and Janssen start with Lamela on the bench. Son was stifled and Spurs lacked any width.

Tactics: 6- I thought Poch got his tactics wrong today. There was no width and he failed to change his tactics as the and went on. Not be of his better days at the office.

Substitutions: 5- Iove Poch but his changes today were nonsensical. Lamela should have been off at half time and although Son wasn't having his best day, it was Lamela who should have been taken off for Janssen. As for Alli being taken off who was turning the screw a bit for Spurs, that was just beyond belief.
    I think Poch had a wobble today.

Overall: 6- Not a great day for Poch. Tactically I felt he was naive today and it's more points dropped as at West Brom. We are still unbeaten and Poch has us well in the title race once more.

Nomadico likes this.
  2. Brian1042 Guest

I really cannot take to Lamela. Nothing to do with 'hate' as I have seen suggested. I just think he is not good enough. I was astonished when Son was taken off and not Lamela.

Where is N'Koudou? Why aren't Carter-Vickers and Edwards getting a go? I would play any of those three instead of Lamela.

Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  3. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

I Gave Lamela 1 - just for being on the pitch !! How he gets to start and play 90mins is totally beyond me! Should've been subbed and was lucky not to get 2 yellows! Sissoko? What was he thinking? Maybe u can do that in championship footy. Very lucky lady today.

burnt, Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  4. whitey mason Guest

For me we are starting to look a slightly unbalanced team - brilliant defensively both at the back and in midfield (even without Toby), but lacking ideas up front. Too many "enforcer" type players and not enough creativity IMO. In other words a team built to draw a lot. Am beginning to understand why Mitchell resigned over Levy's failure to get Batshuaye - whatever the reason he would have given us more up front than Jannsen ever will.

At the mo we're saying he brings us good hold up play and is strong etc. but eventually that honeymoon period will be over if he doesn't bring us goals. Not sure what Son brings us that Chadli didn't either - Son can be brilliant one minute and impotent the next even against a team like B-mouth. Lets be honest if it hadn't been for Lloris in the last 2 games we'd be on our way back to the dreaded ropey and have lost our unbeaten run today. Must improve.

I think you've under-rated Lamela though, he looked like one of the few players prepared to play a high tempo game and take some risks going forward - any idiot can play safe, but at least he tries things.

Bazza47 likes this.
  5. A mark of 7 for Eriksen? I must have been watching a different game! The Dane has been absolutely hopeless since the start of the season.

bruski, burnt, Jonesy and 2 others like this.
  6. Mattj78

I felt he played some nice passes and worked hard. Not his best but not his worst.

7. Josh B Guest

To address some comments:

Eriksen is playing a different role. He won't get as many goals/assists. He still benefits the team and covers so much ground.

Marcus Edwards, aged 17, standing at 5"5 and about as wide as a twig, isn't yet ready for Premier League football. Give the kid time. This wasn't a game he should be thrown into anyway.

I agree that Poch got it wrong today. GKN not in the squad, and not starting Janssen are the two things he got most wrong today. Lamela was - statistics wise - one of our better attacking players. Taking off Alli and Son bemused me.

It's all very well not losing when you play badly. But successful teams can play awfully and WIN. That's the level we're not at yet.

Still, three games in a week, a journey to Germany and remaining unbeaten. There's been worse. Kane coming back ought to reinvigorate us going forwards too.

8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Right 1st Rant of the season!!!!

Other than Lloris saving the day id of given the whole team a 5. Average battle and was in the end out played by a fresh Bournemouth who should really have taken all 3 points.

Lamela has to be the most infuriating player ive ever seen what is his point of him even stepping on a pitch, his footballing brain is the equivelent of a kitten chasing a laser pen. Was put through supperbly by the only piece of class we saw from the team today and as soon as you see it was lamela it was like being transported back to when zokora got put through in the carling cup final everyone had given up before the ultimate out come.
    Not just his bone head running/passing/zero penetration/slowing of play but today his tackling was atrocious. I cringe everytime i see him play what a waste of money and time hes been and continues to be.

Speaking of Wastes of Money, Scrooge McSchmuck Ming the Penniless spends years with the vault welded shut only to now and then bring out todays end product prices in a lump sum to bang on what youd expect to be that bit of magic we needed, what Marquee signing was it?
    Ladies and Gentlemen we give you...... Sissoko

This guy is an insult to the term Donkey the elbow he threw at the Bournemouth player is the biggest impact hel ever make at Spurs wot a numpty.

Disclaimer; (Before im lynched by the Levy police I know Levy was just backing his manager and the actual purchase was Poch's but theres still a point in there!)

This moves me swiftly to Pochettino, Look he has done a lot of good, hes sorted out a Circus (i can only presume Coco the clown is still playing as a reminder of how far weve come) hes instilled a fighting spirit and hes brought some balance organisation to the side but tactically for god sake DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!!

His Plan is good WHEN IT WORKS which is about 50% of the time, when it doesn't its just dull predictable uninventive sloppy.

Our Defence Currently is our 1 saving grace going forward we are a shambles.

I look through the side and just think where are the goals going to come from????

Son and Alli were the only 2 genuine goal threat players and maybe eriksen (when he has his 8 game season) and when we needed a goal today Poch takes the 2 more likely to score off, what was he hoping for Lamela to suddenly learn how to play football?

Poch's Football for me far to regularly impersonates the scenes in a zombie film when theyre all piling up against the glass pane and cant work out how to turn the door handle.

Just like last season drawing too many games, lacking killer instinct, lacking width, lacking pace, lacking ideas.

And i dont care if we are still unbeaten we cant beat Bournemouth or West Brom FFS!

Last edited: October 29, 2016
    bruski, burnt, Jonesy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Fully agree about the substitutions, Lamela has taken a step back in form this season and is trying to make up for it in work rate which is resulting in poor tackles meaning yellow cards and he looked a risk of being sent off all day. Son couldn't get into the game so I would have thought that brining on Janssen for Lamela would have allowed Son to play around him.

10. Mattj78

When Son played so well against Boro he blinked well with Janssen which is why I thought both would start today.
    Lamela is going backward right now. He needs to slow himself down because he is looking like a demented chicken. It's like watching Ronny Rosenthal on drugs.

I don't have major concerns at the back but our final third play is frustrating. We need to be clinical, and penetrating.
    Currently we are like a Jaffa. Seedless. Firing blanks.

But we are still unbeaten and it's not all doom and gloom. Poch needs to learn how to change games. Something he has failed to do too often.

11. Nomadico Well-Known Member

It is not often I agree with Felon82 but he is spot on today,why buy Janssen and not play him??Son has a good understanding with him and with Janssen behind him is a class above what Lamela can offer,as for the butcher Sissoko the elbow will cost us on Monday when the FA look at it,I just hope Poch learns from today and we see a team who play together in our next match...COYS.

burnt, Mattj78, Jonesy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mick

Mick Member

My concern is that how often in games we seem unable to create clearcut chances . This happens far too often for this to be just unlucky. whether this is down to personnel or because we are so tight defensively or lack of pace/width I am not sure but it is an issue that needs addressing. On today's game credit to Bournemouth for trying to win and for Hugo for keeping us in the match.

burnt, Nomadico, Mattj78 and 2 others like this.
  13. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Evening Matt...YOU're too generous by half.....

Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  14. Bazza47

Nothing positive of note for me from him, today or CL..

burnt likes this.
  15. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Spot on Mick, there is a lot of ' high energy press and attacking football ' bandied about Poch's Spurs but the reality is we struggle badly to even trouble opposing keepers & defences.

And if i was an opposing manager id insist we played 2 wide men pushed up on walker and rose and then youve killed any width Spurs have then pack the middle out because the movement of our front 4 is like theyre doin horizontal shuttle runs.

burnt likes this.
  16. Bazza47

On the money Felon.....I posted my thoughts on the earlier blog, but agree.....And after that you have to let off steam.

Felon82 likes this.
  17. Bazza47

Moved this from the earlier blog. Wasn't awake when I logged on.....

Bazza47 said.....earlier:

Carpe Diem lads, Seize the Day...COYS
    Well, we didn't did we......that was painful.

The in-game comments above were right on the money. For me:-

- Son as a CF. Why? Benching Janssen was the wrong move, even before we started. 20/20 hindsight confirms that for me.

- A blind man could have known that Lamela was lucky to be on the pitch, whether at MP's behest or the Ref. He was rank. Give him a rest..please.

- Is it me or were Son, Eriksen, Alli tripping over one another.

- Why was Alli taken off

- Full backs, Verts solid. Wanyama and Dembele our best players. The rest, nowhere.

- Goals. A real worry.

Many of us have seen almost all of our season thus far, much of it live. Against City we were awesome. These last two games expose all of our weaknesses. I hardly raised a cheer or a shout.

Doubtless there will be those that say stop being so critical, but at the end of the day this was AFC Bournemouth ffs, whom we beat 5-1 last term. They also represent a team you HAVE to beat, despite their energy and organisation.

We have six challenging games coming up. We need to find some form from somewhere.

I'll finish where I started. Carpe Diem lads....

COYS

burnt and Nomadico like this.
  18. johnnyhrvat Guest

A score of 2 would have been generous for Poch today - poor starting XI selection, and bewildering substitutions. A kid of 10 years old would have known to take Lamela off at half time - to have a player on the pitch that was only a wayward hand away from a red (and therefore could not tackle at all) was ridiculous. I went to watch the under-16s play last weekend and there was a young Pochettino playing - I suppose favouritism and nepotism are traits that go together, and neither are good.
    We should have actually finished with 8 players - Sissoko will undoubtedly receive a ban, and rightly so. Rose should have gone too.
    On a positive note Dembele was awesome today.

Bazza47, burnt and Nomadico like this.
  19. Mattj78

Another thing to note. This was the first time today that we have failed to score in the league.

20. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Lamela is a liability atm. Eriksen was poor, again - And, I actually think Wanyama was our best player today. Agree that Janssen should have started. Would prefer to see Wimmer at the back too.

I am utterly dissappointed with the last 2 PL results; today was ill-disciplined and toothless throughout, not the Spurs way. Don't get me wrong I like the fact we have a bit of steel but it needs to be controlled.

Would like to see Eriksen dropped and Son in his position with Janssen starting against the Foxes.

Title contenders?
    To compete, really compete - as a "title contender" you have to be able to revert to other options/strategy - u need a "PLAN B". We don't have this in our locker. Personally, I think we have to be taking at least 4 points from the last 2 domestic fixtures. Not good enough. All well and good beating City but these should be our bread and butter fixtures!

Live and learn. COYS

Bazza47, Mattj78 and burnt like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button