Warning for Pochettino

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, May 22, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

It seems more and more likely that Daniel Levy is going to wait until the Champions league final is over before making his move for his new manager. I may not be his biggest fan, but I certainly don't blame him for wanting to make sure that this appointment is right for everyone concerned. It is rumoured that Ancelotti is currently the man wanted to take Spurs forward but time will tell.

Front-runner Saint

I am still of the opinion that Pochettino is the man for the job, but today he has been given a warning about accepting any offer from Levy by his former boss, Cortese;

"He is ambitious but often we have maybe seen people take too quick a step which ultimately backfires. He has plenty of time to have a great career.”

His own man

Judging by what we know of Pochettino, he seems to know his own mind, so hopefully he will make up his own mind but he is also known to be very close to Cortese, so he may take note of words from someone he respected at Southampton.

Sources

Another rumour, and that is all they are, doing the rounds is that Pochettino would like to bring Luke Shaw and Lallana with him to the Lane but Levy and the board are reluctant to agree to release that sort of money for any new players this summer.

Along with Pochettino's desire to have control over all transfers and youth set up, maybe Levy sees an older head as being a better bet at this time.

Special relationship

I am still in the Pochettino camp, although I do still like De Boer as an option, but I am getting the feeling that our special relationship with Real Madrid may be about to be mentioned by levy to them as he searches for his new man. And if Real Madrid lose on Saturday, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ancelotti on the next EasyJet flight to London.

2. I'd rather have De Boer than Pochettino, he has won titles with Ajax which may be very different from the pressure pot of the English Premier League but having the experience and stamina of winning a league has to count for something.

I feel Pochettino would not be that much different from Tim Sherwood - throwing him into a position where the pressure and expectation is far greater than he has ever had to face. I can't fault him for what he has done with Southampton, but that is a club grateful to stay up, never mind competing for silverware.

Like most Tottenham fans, I suspect, I don't have a lot of confidence in Levy to get the appointment right. He seems to have the philosophy of "if you throw enough sh*t at a wall, some of it is bound to stick".

Kid-e1, Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.
  3. Mattj78

It does appear that is the case at times. I am no levy fan, but I hope that those that believe he is always acting in the best interests of the club are right and I am wrong. As far as I am concerned only cats get nine lives and levy run out if he gets it wrong this time.

4. azas Guest

I would probably go for either poch or De boer. It's a hard call as I feel deboer is a risk as he has never managed in this country. Poch has and has done very well. Taking over a newly promoted team and getting them to 8th in 1.5 seasons playing easy on the eye football. He is very tempting and probably the safe bet. But then again if de boer can replicate his success with spurs he can create a dynasty. He is highly respected in football and very successful in Holland so he too is tempting but perhaps the bigger risk

Kid-e1 likes this.
  5. Mattj78

I think any manager that comes in going to have an element of risk attached but I would say the manager will have to weigh up the risk to his reputation as whoever it is won't get much time. It's the levy way or the high way.

Kid-e1 likes this.
  6. stevethespur Active Member

Three great candidates I must say. Wouldnt be upset by any of the named coaches arriving N17. Really would be bad chairmanship to leave the appointment till just before the new season so we have to sort it out early and give the new guy time to plan. My choice : 1 ancelotti 2 poch 3 de boer ! But will be happy with any one of them. Coys.

7. Mattj78

Yes, I agree that any of them would be good. Definitely needs to be done sooner rather than later. I expect there will be an announcement by the end of next week. I think there will be a few names we may not have thought of yet, but I think it will be Pochettino or Ancelotti.

8. bunsen Guest

I would like to see Rafa Benitez in. He has prem experience and wins trophies wherever he goes. I think he would stand up to levy better than most too.

Kid-e1 likes this.
  9. Mattj78

That seems to be becoming a popular opinion. He certainly has a lot of good credentials. Experienced in the Premier League, won silverware, knows Europe, good scouting contacts. I certainly wouldn't rule him out.

Kid-e1 likes this.
  10. Woody Guest

I would like De Boer because he has managed Ericksen and Verts and knows how they think.Any manager chosen must be given time.Warning should be given to Lamela and Soldado that any lazy play will not be tolerated next season.

Kid-e1 likes this.
  11. Mattj78

The trouble is that WE all know the manager must be given time but there seems to be one person who does not!

Deggsy56 and Kid-e1 like this.
  12. Mattj78

Neil Lennon anyone.....no should be the answer. I hope we do get news on our new boss in the next week.

13. Mattj78

The early edition Evening Standard says that Pochettino will be the new manager and possibly as early as next week.
    Rumours also that we want Delph for Holtby. Would rather keep Holtby. Delph is an okay player. Holtby is a strong player and better than Delph in my view.

Ramos43 likes this.
  14. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Doesn't it seem strange to anybody else that EVERYTHING I ask for seems to be coming true at the moment. Pochettino, Delph. etc

I don't usually play the lottery, but I reckon I might just buy myself a ticket later!

Pochettino would be a GREAT acquisition. But Pochettino AND Delph would be dreamland!!!

If Spurs don't snap up Delph another top 6 side will, mark my words. The kid has been EXCELLENT in a struggling Aston Villa team over the last 2 seasons and is NAILED ON to be a REGULAR in the England side ahead of the next Euros. Technically adept, strong, aggressive, EXTREMELY mobile and stamina for days, Delph is ONLY getting better, and as a young English player with bundles of potential, he is EXACTLY the type of player Spurs should be targeting.

Nobody loves Holtby more than me, but UNLESS the German is given REGULAR football, in his favoured no10 role, I would rather see Lewis get the credit/respect he deserves at another club.

If Pochettino is appointed next, it's highly possible that he will utilise a 4-3-3 system which unfortunately will not MAXIMISE Holtby's skill-set.

A precision/incisive passer, with SUPERB vision and awareness, like Holtby, NEEDS to be as close to the oppositions goal, in advanced areas of the pitch, to REALLY get the FULL rewards from his particular attributes.

Can Holtby play deeper? Of course. But it is worth noting that Holtby is a 1/2 touch player, and NOT someone who enjoys carrying the ball (dribbling). Lewis is at his MOST COMFORTABLE when receiving the ball directly in front of the oppositions defence, taking a touch and before looking for a killer pass. He is a floater (in football terms), who uses his well educated football brain to find space, in little pockets of room, where he is able to effect the game. Give the German 10-15 consecutive games as a no10 and you will see a player you barely knew existed!!!

His BEST games for Spurs have ALL been as a no10, where he EXCELLED in the early phase of the Europa League, last term. Why he was dropped after his impressive early season form, is anyone's guess, but I suppose that sums up the BIZARRE thought processes that helped undermine the teams progress during the last campaign.

Personally, I would rather sell Paulinho for £22m and snap up Delph for £12m (contract is running down), adding £10m to the transfer kitty. But given the probability that Holtby won't be a regular at the club next term, I think the Delph swap not only seems logical for everyone concerned (although Lewis COULD do much better), it also would represent a GREAT coup for Spurs.

15. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Ramos for once i agree with you Delph is exactly the sort of box to box midfielder we have been missing in the engine room and if we can flog poorlinho and make a profit it would be a brilliant bit of buisness.

16. Spurporter Guest

Metro reports Poch will sign extension with Saints. If true, it would explain the lack of progress in Levy's search.

17. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

For the sake of my creditability, Felon, please don't make a habit of it! ;)

Never seen a Metro (football related) report prove to be accurate/correct in the past, and I struggle to believe that have broken the cycle here with Pochettino. I DO think Spurs should move quickly to sign a manager though (alla Barca) if they want to portray a sense of having REAL faith in the new man.

The longer it takes before the position is filled, the more room is left for doubt, uncertainty and misleading signals.

This is a summer where Spurs NEED strong leadership and decisive action, NOT confusion and hesitancy.

I know negotiations take time to conclude, but lets be honest, EVERY man and his dog knew that Sherwood was leaving come the end of the season, so it would have been nice to think that those responsible for hiring at the club had formed some sort of CLEAR plan/strategy in the event.

Like I said, though, we probably SHOULD take ALL reports, until confirmed, with a pinch of salt as half of them will only prove to be rubbish.

18. Mattj78

Delph is really not that good. I would back that up with the stats but as Ramos says, they are pointless so I won't bother.

19. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Delph is not technically top class but he gives you bundles of energy and up and down running in the midfield something we massively lack. Dembele and Poorlinho dont do enough of it thats why we often look flat and rigid. Ramires Ramsey Fernandinho henderson etc all bust a gut for their sides theyr not technically the best but they create gaps and space and drive the team forward Delph i feel fits into this mould. And if we can get him relatively cheap and move on the likes of Poorlinho Holtby Livermoore etc who have all come up short imo then to me its good buisness.

20. Mattj78

So what you are saying is we should sign a player who runs around a lot. He scored a lovely goal against Chelscum, but his overall contribution to the team is less than those you name. The stats show he is a VERY average player but I refuse to use the stats because Ramos says they are pointless and without ANY stats at all, I would like to see how he justifies Delph being a top player.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button