Up next the Blades

Discussion in 'Featured' started by Felon82, November 8, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member Blogger

[​IMG]
    Saturday 3.00pm we kick off at home to Sheffield Utd.

On the back of (This is not a joke) a 0-4 Away Win! Wild applause and cheers from everyone.

This win puts us 2nd in the group with a 4 point cushion from 3rd and gives us a great chance of at least qualification.

Now we turn our attention back to the Premier League where at the time of writing we currently sit -
    11th 13pts 17gf 16ga
    Bleak start is being generous to what has been some of the worst football I've ever witnessed from us in 30years , it's the 1st time in a long while I've felt watching it is a chore rather than anything remotely entertaining or what I'd call football.

The Blades currently sit -
    6th 16pts 12gf 8ga
    Quite noticeably they have the best defence in the league so far this season only Leicester being as equally tight at the back.
    As I'd expect from a newly promoted side great organisation team work shape and balance would all be significant factors in this. Basically everything we struggle against....

So it's crucial that we take Utd seriously and it's crucial that we meet them with the same fight but also we move the ball quickly and perhaps take more chances with the ball to open up and create.

Midweek we played some more inspiring football from the recent turgid displays but we also did the same in the home tie before that, on both occasions certain faves were dropped and a better balance found.
    We're red star poor? Definitely but how will we know if things are on the up if we don't stick to something that actually works???

This brings me onto the team selection for Saturday.

I am sick to death of Pochettinos sporadic management of the team, he has become the ultimate Tinker man which has brought either the most calamitous or the most inchohesively dull disjointed predictable sloppy slow football I've ever witnessed at Spurs.

We need to see the rebuild , we need to see where it's all going , we need to see some consistency with players in on performance not on reputation, that's how you build competition and team ethos.

If I see another massive shuffle of the deck again and the result is poor like most of us I'm gonna be tearing my hair out.

To have any hope of getting back in the top 4 mix we need to start winning and winning consistently it's as simple as that and on paper we should win this game, form wise we've been embarrassing but how much longer can bad performance Vs inferior teams be excused for sentiments towards a Manager over the actual club???

It's madness and only at Spurs

Gordon Mc and Bazza47 like this.
  2. Ad

3. Flawless Guest

Great analysis!
    Dull disjointed predictable sloppy slow football Vs. great organisation team work shape and balance.
    My prediction we lose 0-2 to the mighty Blades.

4. voiceofreason Active Member

I’d love to see a team of

Gazzaniga
    Foyth Alderweireld Davies
    Dier
    Sissy Ndombele
    Lo Celso Son Ali
    Kane

Moura and winks to replace Dier and Ali if we are losing or drawing at half time

However. I think he will start with ce winks and Sanchez somehow in there

5. Cheshuntboy Guest

Unless he's been misquoted, misreported, mistranslated or plain misunderstood, Pochettino has apparently said that Spurs are effectively starting again from their situation in 2014, as if that's only to be expected. What about the 'building for the future', 'ahead of schedule', 'over-achieving' drivel we've been hearing from the ENIC/Pochettino fan club for the past five years - was 'The Project' just a rehearsal, and the next five/ten/you name it years will be spent actually trying to build a genuine winning team? Each time our manager opens his mouth, something bizarre comes out, and I really miss the simplicity of 'just run abaht a bit' and 'top top player' - it may not have been profound, but you didn't need a degree in psychology to make any sense of it.

Gordon Mc and Felon82 like this.
  6. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

For sure it's been a long, long time since I've headed to The Lane with no expectation of a win, nor of seeing the right team and a good performance. Since we returned from Wembley it's been dross (I missed Palace), and with the dreaded VAR overlay it's been the worst watch for donkey's years, as Felon said.

Wednesday saw us witness performances from the new men that we'd only dreamt about. Personally 'd like to see all three start (fat chance), but at least GLC and TND. No Ce please.

I think I'd go 4-2-3-1:

Gazza
    Foyth (got to try him sometime) Toby, Sanchez (Verts if fit) Davies,
    Sissoko, Dier,
    Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sonny,
    HK.

Perhaps Ndombele instead of Dier (as he's supposed to be box to box), with Dele in the 3, but he's been so poor for me. We will see.

COYS

Gordon Mc and Felon82 like this.
  7. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Harry's certainly more entertaining than Poch for sure...……..

8. Felon82 Well-Known Member Blogger

Think that 1st half shows just how poor a level red star are as opposed to how good we are.
    Sheff Utd look like the home side , how we expect to win games playing as slowly and sideways as we do is truly baffling.

Bazza47 and Gordon Mc like this.
  9. Preed

Preed Member

Only 45 more minutes of this dross thank god..The worst football I have seen at the Lane for 10 years. I have not seen a team give away possession so often surely professionals should be able to pass a ball to your own team even from 10 yards Pochetino has his work cut out at half time and if he can’t inspire the team to play with more pace and desire he should resign today

Bazza47, Gordon Mc and Felon82 like this.
  10. Genevaspurs Guest

Kane is out of form. Davies has not the premier league standard. Very poor team... sheffield played better than us and it's the reason de need to change something and quickly ! Delle wasn't good but why MP substitutes him for Foyth ? We are the home team or not ??? When de were one more upfront with Lucas (as we were before the delle's substitution) we dominated the end of the game ! Pocchettino made some mistakes today... Davies for Rose. Substitution of Delle by Foyth and the too late arrival from Lucas !

Bazza47 likes this.
  11. Genevaspurs Guest

again...

12. voiceofreason Active Member

That was painful. Thought Lo Celso was good and will be great
    Average to good- son Ndombele sissy
    Average Davies Sanchez Kane
    Poor. Aurier ali
    **** Dier

Bazza47 likes this.
  13. Thomas Guest

Wonder why Pochettino would only consider giving Moura cameo appearances when things aren't going right. Obviously he thought Moura's the last resort when he did more than an off-form Kane for the whole match. Kane should have gone off earlier to make way for Moura. Pochettino simply keeps his fingers crossed and hopes that Kane will produce something. So much for in-game management.

14. Glint New Member

You can't knock the starting line-up (except Dier). That's a team that should be cruising through games.
    Poor in-game management (as always). Tactically inept.
    Dele's confidence is shattered. There's still a great player in there waiting to play in his preferred (more attacking) position.
    Lo Celso - I wonder if he's thinking 'what have I let myself in for coming here...'
    I can't see Levy letting Poch go unless we drop further towards the bottom three or someone (Man U?) come in for him, although his stock is pretty worthless now.
    Just going to drink through the rest of the season.

Bazza47 likes this.
  15. Preed

Preed Member

Where do I start after that performance we are twelfths and by Sunday we will probably drop to 14 or15 and we are below Brighton Sheffield Newcastle Bournemouth Crystal Palace and Burnley. I have supported spurs for over 50 years and have gone from despair when we got relegated and joy when we got promoted back up. Obviously I also had the joy of the double winning team and a few cup winning teams.I have seen good managers and really poor ones come and go and throughout all these times I have gone through mixed emotions but never one of embarrassment Today’s performance has changed all that.with a few exception ieSon and Decelso this was the most inept performance I have seen from our club and that includes one of our own Kane who didn’t even raise a gallop.Where was SESSENGON instead of Winks who slows the game even more.Did pochetino not notice in the week that he actually can provide a cross.PLEASE LEVY GROW A PAIR. TODAY BEFORE ITS TOO LATE

Bazza47 likes this.
  16. Jesper Guest

A central defence pairing I don't have much confidence in, possibly it made sense to try it as a clean sheet was held in the preceding match but I am really not convinced by Dier as one of two central defenders. When there are three central defenders then maybe, not as one of two.
    I consider Davies to be better than Rose, Davies shows less passion and less speed but I prefer the calmer head in defense over the fast and sometimes overly risky. I also prefer Davies over Dier as LCB.
    Aurier (despite his brainfarts like Walker used to have) might well be better than Foyth on RB. As far as I can tell Rose is in the national team for one reason only - he plays for Spurs, if he had left for another club during the summer then he might not be in the national team.
    I like Winks, he is not afraid to get the ball. At times it almost looks like Sissoko hides away and thus we lose an option to play out. On the other hand the first touch of Sissoko is not great so I can understand if he is reluctant to get the ball and expected to turn with it.

It is a very very long time ago since I played football, back then it was seen as better that a FB put out the ball for a throw-in than trying a pass going slightly (or more) centrally. It was seen as easier to defend a throw-in than risking to get a quick attack back. Now it is apparently seen differently.

Maybe Abraham gets to play ahead of Kane and then Kane can get some rest, he might need a week or more not playing.

All in all, I kind of like the squad now. There are options on the bench. I am not convinced by some selections and some substitutions (both who and when) and that concern is a concern that I've had for a long time now.

17. Preed

Preed Member

Sorry Jesper if you like this squad you must be a secret gooner.No decent full back two mistake ridden centre half’s and no defensive midfielder and both back up centre half’s looking to leave along with the retired Ericson.What is there not to like.?????

18. Felon82 Well-Known Member Blogger

Overall I think Sheff Utd should feel very hard done by with the single point.
    There was only 1 side with any purpose or game plan and it sure wasn't us.

I cannot believe what hard work it is just watching (enduring) us.

We are 12 points off Chelsea in 3rd currently 10 points off Leicester in 4th and we can't beat Sheffield Utd at home (for spells you'd think Utd were at home)

Top 4 is a right off now.

5 years of No-gress, most expensive tickets in Europe , worst side to watch by a mile snoozeball.

Needs a huge change at the club starting with the manager

19. Felon82 Well-Known Member Blogger

And all the idiots that argue against 2nd strikers because we've got Kane just rewatch his performance today he's absolutely shattered and just keeps getting ran into the ground in the sheer desperation tactic that we might get a penalty or Kane can manufacture something out of nothing.

Gordon Mc likes this.
  20. Felon82 Well-Known Member Blogger

Sorry Leicester move into 2nd 12points ahead after beating scum.
    They look absolutely light years ahead of us as a team.
    We are done, Poch Out now

21. Jesper Guest

The fullbacks have changed, the way they play appear to be the same so I suspect that they've been told to play they do - risky passes instead of just put out for a throw. Increases the possession but risks dangerous counter-attacks.
    The available FBs are good enough to not need to be prioritised to be changed, the problem I see is more related to how the team is not playing as a team and that is often due to how the central midfielders are performing.
    Hopefully common sense will prevail and the belgian CBs will again be playing and get extended contracts, if they are not playing then they'll surely leave to keep their spots in the national team and they are better than what was on display today.
    The midfield has often been over-run, that hasn't been the failure of the defensive midfielders - that is more due to the midfielders supposedly good in attack failing to help out. Outnumber the DMs and it will be difficult for even the best DMs to look good.
    The options from the bench are currently Moura who is good when chasing a match, possibly even better when trying to defend a lead and Lamela who might maybe get well again and he has been good this season. It would be nice to have more game-changers available to come in but if some players can't be substituted then it might not happen.

I don't think a proven striker will come to Spurs as long as Kane will always play and always play the full match. If I was a young striker and asked about going to Spurs then I'd say no - I wouldn't want to wait as long as Son (or Moura) had to wait to get to play. Keeping faith in players has its price, in this case it means that we might see a catch 22: No striker who is good enough to replace Kane will risk coming to Spurs and risk destroying his career by not getting to play so Kane will always play as there is nobody good enough to replace him....

So yes, I believe that the squad is good but I am not happy with how it is been used. CE didn't get to play so maybe other players who appear to be favourites of the manager can also be benched/rested if their performance isn't great or if there is a need to change how the match goes. Unlikely but it might happen.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button