Toxic Leadership

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Felon82, September 1, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

It is my firm belief that Spurs lack proper Leadership from top down, we seem to forever be in transition and IMO it is down to the wrong person in charge. For years it's been everyone else's fault but essentially only 1 thing has remained and this is Daniel Levy.

Now although we sit in a comfortable position financially which can't be knocked we have absolutely no ambition on the pitch even the pro regiment of fans are actively saying top 6 will be a great achievement-where's the want for success gone? The life and soul has been sucked out of the club, happy taking part, people talking up 'off field success', a divisive fan base, more failed players and managers than you can count on an abacus, millions skillfully built/recouped only to be scandalously wasted, permanently unbalanced squad, a selling club, pitiful trophy return & yet another transfer debacle that brings the clubs reputation in to disrepute it is all mounting up.

So I thought I'd look into poor Leadership and the effects and stumbled across the term Toxic Leadership and the Characteristics of a Toxic Leader-

Toxic leadership often causes employee dissatisfaction, low productivity, interdepartmental conflict, stagnant innovation, and a high turnover rate.
    Unfortunately, in many organizations toxic leaders are a painful but undeniable reality. With their destructive behavior patterns and dysfunctional interactions, they create a disillusioned and demotivated workforce.

So how do you spot a toxic leader? Here are some of their common characteristics.

1. Arrogant

Toxic leaders are very boastful and arrogant. They think that they are always right, and expect others to accept their word as gospel truth. They extend no help to others, and they hate it when someone else dares to correct them, especially if that someone is a subordinate.

2. Autocratic

A toxic boss does not want any opinion other than their own to be heard. They expect others to quietly follow their every direction, without ever questioning the direction. A toxic boss often fancies themselves as the top dog or a self-styled king, and their behavior is often reflective of that. Employees are minions, lesser beings who exist only to do the leader’s bidding.

3. Irritable

Perhaps not surprisingly, toxic leaders also come across as highly irritable. They do want to be bothered for anything. Since they are not open to other ideas from anyone else, they despise being asked questions and avoid it as much as possible. Under a toxic leader, the organization becomes stunted because of the lack of innovative and free-flowing ideas.

4. Maladjusted

Beneath the tough and arrogant veneer of a toxic boss is an ill-tempered child who is mortified of change. They are highly inflexible, and take changes very hard. The toxic boss is likely to be the most vehement opponent of any changes in the organization.

5. Lack of confidence

Though they act supremely confident, a toxic leader has no confidence in themselves. Consequently, they also find it extremely difficult to trust team members. Because of this lack of confidence, tough problems are often ignored or swept under the carpet.

6. Incompetent

A toxic leader may think that they are the best, but they are incompetent and may often struggle to make even the most commonsensical decisions, or do the simplest of tasks. Their sense of importance and usefulness only comes from criticizing others, and making them out to be less than they really are.

7. Hierarchical

Without the rigid structure of hierarchy, toxic leadership will wither and die. If you’re under a toxic leader, you will often feel the pressure of the corporate power structure above you. A toxic leader is adept at controlling team members using hierarchy and seniority.

8. Unrealistic expectations

Toxic leaders are notorious for setting objectives that are unfair and unrealistic. Team members struggle with unachievable goals, and get demoralized. Workload piles up, and the company becomes set up to fail.

9. Symbols of personal authority

These symbols include first right to common parking spaces, complete access to everything, and perhaps even studding the entire workplace with their own portraits and stories of accomplishments.

10. Discriminatory

Not surprisingly, toxic leaders are often discriminatory. Their biases and prejudices often appear in the guise of sexism, racism, ageism, and other discriminatory behavior.

Now I don't know Daniel Levy personally but from an outside point of view looking inwards he displays very clearly at least 7 of these traits and IMO all 10 to an extent.

As I have said before and will again until this inept Toxic Leader is gone-

Daniel Levy is the single most biggest problem at Spurs #levyout!

2. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

As interesting as this is, it may be like asking Adolf Hitler to stand down! Levy is the man with all the power, he won't give it up

Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  3. burnt Guest

You'd have to imagine his reputation ( Rightly or Wrongly ) is going to hamper us in future transfer dealings .. Things are difficult enough besides having to deal with that ..

Apollo and Felon82 like this.
  4. Peter Stokes New Member

I've been a staunch supporter of ENIC for a long time, they did after all save the club from potential financial collapse. Sadly now I feel the time is up for both Levy and Lewes, I am of the opinion that ultimately it's Lewes who makes the decision and Levy is merely his puppet. Now they have gone too far, to allow a great club like Spurs to go into a season in the Premier League with one recognised striker is nothing short of criminal, if not criminal then downright incompetence.
    Ultimately it'll be Poch who will take the blame when the club realise that a top 6 place is at the moment a distant dream, you can all forget about top 4.
    It's my hope that above all of this Poch can somehow get this depleted and unbalanced squad playing together until hopefully another striker can be bought in after Christmas. Hopefully he'll play the fringe players and kids in the stupid Europa thing and maybe there will be some gems unearthed again ala Kane.

Until then sadly I think we are in for a very long and painful season.

Rooster20 and Mattj78 like this.
  5. S-P Guest

When you combine this with all the other pet complaints that some Spurs fans insist on airing at every possible opportunity (and some impossible ones) it is surprising that THAccringtonStanleyWhoAreTheyFC aren't playing in the Beyond Rhyme and Reason League. And yet, there they are fairly consistently finishing higher than sixth while being the sixth best financed club in the BPL, while not getting into debt, and massively upgrading the infrastructure (training facilities, stadium, etc.,) and with one of the best, if not the best, youth set-ups in England. It's a miracle.

Or do you have a more empirically based explanation?

6. CurseOfLevy Guest

I've been saying this for a number of years. Levy and ENIC the continuing thread through all our woes, are only interested in making a profit and have no desire for footballing success except if it increases their profits. Hence why they bottled it when Rednapp got us into the UCL and failed to support his ambition, because they didn't want to pay UCL wages or UCL transfer fees. Whereas Europa League gives them (they believe) yearly exposure in Europe but without the big expenses of competing in Europe's top league. Well if they carry on the way they are then they can forget EL and we can most likely forget the new stadium too. I find it incredible, if true that we failed to get the managers no.1 target Saido Berhahino because we wouldn't increase our bid from 22m to 25m, yet we supposedly have a multi billionaire benefactor? Levy continually cons players and managers into joining Spurs and probably promises them the earth, but he is the planets biggest bull-shitter. We can be fairly certain that Lloris will be off soon and that he'll be followed by Eriksen, or even the other way around. Levy is leading us to mediocrity or worse. If some fans can't see that it's because they don't want to.

Peter Stokes likes this.
  7. Felon82 Well-Known Member

And that's exactly the acceptance zero ambition I'm talking about

8. CurseOfLevy Guest

You honestly think we'll finish in the top 6 this season? This old nonsense about we finish where we're worth ie. 5th or 6th, is a red herring; Arsenal have been vulnerable for number of years, Man U. too, yet because of a lack of ambition and investment from the board, combined with managerial merry-go-round, we've routinely failed to take advantage. I really can't believe that after the debacle that's just unfolded, any Spurs fan would be denuded enough to support these time wasting jokers that are destroying our great club. To keep harking back 15 years to their supposed financial salvation is getting a bit hackneyed now too. I consider them more of a parasite that is keeping it's host alive whilst they slowly drain the blood from it, than a salvation.

Jonesy and Felon82 like this.
  9. tel Guest

Can we get rid of you Toxic Fans?

Apollo likes this.
  10. Doveryid Guest

Absolute fiasco, why every year do spurs fans have to put up with this nonsense from levy? We needed a new defensive midfielder and probably two recognised strikers, yet we end up with sod all. Levy should resign and allow the club to find someone capable of overseeing our transfer activities. This should have been settled before the start of the pl season. We imo could have conpeted for the top 4 with the right additions. You pay top dollars for top quality, it's the way of world, simple! All this nit picking over apparently getting a good deal has totally backfire leaving the squad unbalanced and under strength. Don't blame the players or manager when this backfires! Europa league will take its toll on the squad. Levy out!!! Coys! Tottenham till I die! Get this sorted Tottenham please and lets bring back the magic to a top draw club whose supporters love. Levy your a penny pinching ***** fella, you need to jog on!!!

Felon82 likes this.
  11. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Toxic Fans? The people who don't want the clubs reputation dragged through the mud internationally by the ridiculous antics of Daniel Levy?

Mattj78 likes this.
  12. Big kris Guest

Totally right in all your 10 points

Any true Tottenham fan would

Agree with them only brainless

*****s would disagree. And

Before start of next season

Lloris. And Ericsson gone

Mid table at best time to say

Goodbye. Levy

Felon82 likes this.
  13. dkb Guest

Couldn't agree more with S-P
    if we had spent more to try and keep champions league football the wage structure would have been blown apart. Shame we didn't get Berahino but if bbc are right then WBA chairman didn't want to negotiate so not a lot Levy can do unless we want him to role over and set expectations that he can be held to ransome.

14. Felon82 Well-Known Member

So if Berahino was the main target of the whole window and essential for an important position we're light in, then why are we leaving it so late and with absolutely no back up plan?
    You say Levy wasn't going to roll over what makes you think WBA should?
    If you want something and know you need it, you make your offer if its laughed off then you discuss what is acceptable? If the other party is being unreasonable then you move on to something else as essentially you 'need it'

Jonesy likes this.
  15. Arachy1882 Guest

I totaly agree. Unfortunately we can't just brush this under the carpet or try again tomorrow and fix it. It is now up the the players to carry the weight of Mr Levy's mistakes. If they manage to surpass everyone's expectations and give us all something to cheer they are effectively clearing up his mess, allowing him to strutt and proclaim himself to be the man who knows what he's doing simply becasue his failings haven't been exposed by a total failure on the pitch.

Personally I believe that the accrimony between Peace and Levy was the nail in the coffin of this transfer. Levy tried to do what other clubs had done with us. That is use the press and other tactics to unsettle the player to the point where he felt an entitlement to a move. The thing he forgot was we are not Manchseter United or Real Madrid and, the conditions have changed with the increase in money from the broadcasters for rights to the EPL. WBA didn't really need or want to sell. All he managed to do was alienate WBA to the point where the dug their heals in and it was about proving a point.

I have a feeling that the final offer was probably not a lot off what WBA would have accepted had it been offered a few eeks ago with good grace and professional courtesy. As it was Mr Peace decided he was not going to be bullied by a want to be Real Mardid and he dug in his heals. He wanted x and because Levy was continuously trying to make the deal pretty much useless to them his attitude just hardened. This was no longer business. It was personal. Mr Peace decided to teach Levy a lesson. He decided that lesson needed to be sharp and a little malicious.

Levy has probably been suitably chastised and his ego has been bruised a little. Unfortunately this experience is unlikely to be a learning experience to Levy and it is highly likely we will revisit this type of situation in the future.

Our only hope is that Joe either replaces him or pulls him up and demands answers. Of course that depends if he is unhappy with the outcome of this and other transfer windows.

Felon82 likes this.
  16. Levy is completely unsuitable and has been for some time

we makemistake after mistake in the transfermarket

We did not need more defenders this year

We clearly needed forwards

We have allowed somestill very good players to be abused by the club and then sold

17. Arachy1882 Guest

So right. He got stuck in a battle and forgot everything else. His need to win superceded the club's needs.

Felon82 likes this.
  18. big fran Guest

Frightening that there was no plan b striker available in the whole wide world of football? Frightening that we are no longer big enuf to pick the star players off soton n wba anymore.. Frightening that adebayor now has to undoubtedly be welcomed bk into the first team fold. How many games must HK now have to play in the coming season if we are to give the Europa league a decent crack.

Felon82 likes this.
  19. Arachy1882 Guest

Matt Le Tissier has said that we offered Southampton less for Wanyama than they had paid for him. Daniel Levy has a history of pissing people off. Every bid we make seems to be way under what a club values their player. So I think you're on the button there.

Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Its the deplorable antics of Levy that has really irked me this time out.
    Hes done his best to pull a Real Madrid/Spurs deal only difference is that Madrid in the end are a Super Power and paid the fee we set.
    Its disgusting and as i said on another thread is this the sort of association we want from chief Ambassador of our club?
    This was all about Levy over the club trying to feed his narcissism he has tainted Spurs name tonight IMO and has well over stepped the mark.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button