Tottenham to approach Moyes...

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by COYSnoise, April 21, 2014.

Share This Page

1. COYSnoise

COYSnoise New Member

One of the saddest demises of a football manager the English game has ever seen looks to have come to an abrupt and premature end today. The dishevelled face of David Moyes will be plastered over the back pages of every morning paper tomorrow, alongside damning reports that the Glazer family have finally given up on the Scotsman.

For all his success as Everton manager, Moyes struggled from day one at Manchester United. Aside from his inconsistent team selection and ineffective substitutions, he has failed to seduce the media and deflect pressure away from his team. Sir Alex had no such issues despite having a tough start to his United career himself.

Undoubtedly Moyes took charge of United in a far better position than Ferguson did. After all, his tenure followed that of the most successful manager in Premier League history. The job was always going to be difficult. Faced with intense media insight and the consistent slating at the hands of popular pundits, Moyes seemed to age generations by the week. Bowing out of Europe following lacklustre performances and sitting 7th in the league, United have been easy to play against throughout the season. Under Moyes they have won only 7 of their 16 games at home. Old Trafford is no longer a fortress.

Moyes had been linked with Tottenham following the departure of Harry Redknapp and once again the rumour mill will continue to churn out speculation regarding his next destination, with White Hart Lane inevitably high on the list. Sherwood's likely departure at the end of the season will draw Moyes even closer to the position.

A worse fit for Tottenham appears hard to unearth. Despite 11 years of what some would argue as a success at Everton seems to have been unfortunately rendered redundant. Tottenham's managerial policy has not been one of stability. It has sat uncomfortably between the reactionary brutality of Chelsea and relative stability of Liverpool.

The appointment of David Moyes in the circumstances would be disastrous unless he is given a 40 year contract with no opt out clause. An approach for Moyes' services following his fall from grace conjures up the sour memories of Andre Villas Boas following failure at Chelsea, relying on his triumph at Porto only a year before. Roberto Martinez's success at Everton has diminished any of the fond memories Evertonians had of David Moyes.

If Tottenham decide to pursue a long-term fix for a lack of silverware and Champions League football, Moyes has proven he can bring stability and success to a relatively big club. However, should Spurs continue the trend of appointing managers to tape over fault lines, I can't see Moyes having a chance. Spurs need a winner and a manager's form is just as telling as their players'.

2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Moyes won nothing in eleven years at Everton and spent little. Everything that Daniel Levy would love in a manager. No success but nearly got top four and under Levy, that is set to continue whoever the manager.

3. trigspur Guest

Please god no!!!! Wouldn't be at all surprised though if blofeld went for him!!!

4. angry yid Guest

oh dear no no no!!! i swear to god season ticket will be on the fire!!!

5. gary fox Guest

Ignore! Moyes did spend money at Everton, contrary to media reports, and produced a solid but uninspiring team. At United he has taken over an aging team that relied on RVP in 2012/3. He couldnt revitalise as his new chief exec failed in the transfer window. He isnt a bad manager......its just that he isnt a potentially great one, a winner. No thanks.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  6. stevethespur Active Member

To link moyes to spurs must be a belated april fool ! am sure moyes will find a job somewhere, how about cardiff or sunderland.

7. Ramos43 Guest

Moyes is a good manager who, simply, found the jump from Everton to Utd just too big make. Perhaps he was at Everton so long that he found it difficult to adjust to a new way of life at another club. Personally, I think Moyes' BIGGEST mistake was not bringing in his own players in summer, and shipping out those who still CLEARLY had Fergies voice ringing in their ears.

If David is sacked, I think it will be EXTREMELY harsh given the fact that he has only had 2 botched transfer windows to imprint his own mark on the team. Two thing Moyes KNOWS how to do is shop smart, and build EFFECTIVE team units, and given a full summer (and a reported £150m to reshape his squad) to address Utds problems, I have little doubt that Moyes would have got his side competing at the very top end of all the competitions they were involved in.

As for his link with Spurs, I wouldn't give it very much credence whatsoever. The chances of Levy signing another recently sacked manager, after AVB, is slim to none. Levy may be a lot of things, but stupid certainly isn't one of them!

He will know that Spurs would be seen by many as something of a rehab centre for the' down and outs', if he hired Moyes, and things did not work out. And with the club suffering a bit of a PR crisis this season, our chairman will be desperate to avoid, potentially, adding to that by appointing another man who has endured a difficult spell in the EPL. Besides, can anybody SERIOUSLY see Moyes working alongside a DOF????

Get Pochettino in, and have done with it! The Argentinian would be right up their with Klopp as my 1st choice and with the volatile LVG showing his hand by playing the waiting game, Mauricio seems the best and obvious choice. With his contract close to expiration, the job he has done in England thus far, and his experience of working with DOF, I would be AMAZED if Pochettino isn't at LEAST interviewed for the job at WHL. Watch this space!!!!!!

8. Mattj78

If Baldini is still there next t season we are doomed.

9. big fran Guest

I wouldn't be against this appointment .. Moyes has an eye for a bargain coleman miralles jagielka coleman baines all spring to mind. This Everton squad was largely put together by Moyes and the ageing utd one not his.. One bad season in 15 don't make him a poor manager

10. Walsh1972 Guest

A bizarre appointment by Utd,Moyes simply wasn't up to the task,but for them to go for Van Gaal would be plain crazy,he would fit in perfectly at our disfunctional club,should last until the clocks go back,and I predict Big Sam to take over and grind out the results until the end of the season! Cynical moi? Wait and see....

11. Yid747 Guest

No no no no. If moyes is appointed I think I will just give up watching spurs. This season we have played terrible football. Moyes won't improve that at all.

12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

The scariest thing is this smacks of a Levy move which is why it has legs and fans are worried about it. I can see it now a load of noise about LVG, klopp and De Boer etc then we end up with Moyes the reject on a free.

13. YIDNATION Guest

If we get Moyes I won't renew my season ticket it's a joke

14. Baz Guest

Moyes is good manager.His problem at Man U can be summed in two words.The first one is Ryan.

15. 94now Guest

United will not sack Moyes not having replacement ready. They must have got at least an agreement in principal. So before speculating about Spurs getting him I would like to listen to the upcoming Moyes's replacement rumor.

16. Matt78 Guest

Moyes sacked - not the most suprising news of the day but it has happened

17. Matt78 Guest

You were saying???

18. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

This seems straightforward...no CL for definite, so do you want to rebuild using the manager you appointed but failed you. Simply No.
    RVP won the title for Man U last year. Watchers of the team over recent years have wondered how they did so well. Fergie added many points each season as well, now gone.
    They will have approached 1 or 2 of the key managerial replacements to tell them they are short listed and ask if they were interested, as a minimum, or perhaps even picked one and told him he's got it if he confirms now.
    They are NYSE listed, so no sodding around, like us.....
    COYS

Admin and Mattj78 like this.
  19. Mattj78

Sadly Moyes was always on a hiding to nothing. Taking over from Ferguson was going to be hard, but with Gill going as well, it was a tough ask. The players yet again have too much power in football and are ultimately the ones responsible for the manager being sacked. They knew no one would be as fierce as Fergie and all sulked for one day and made it clear they did not want to play for this manager. It is about time players realised that once they step over the white line, it is their job to show motivation, passion and play football - that is what they are paid millions of pounds that they do NOT deserve for.
    United will now spend big but the Glazers are dangerous people and I would not be surprised at all if Fergie leaves the club very soon - after all, he comes out of all of this looking very daft indeed!
    As for Moyes at Spurs? No thanks but then again, with levy at the top, it won't matter who we get as the new manager, because they too will spend all of their time looking over their shoulder.
    As I have said here many times before, in 2001, THFC and the PLC were stabilised financially but now only THPLC exists. This football club died when ENIC took over in 2001 and when they are gone, I may just return to paying money to the football club I love but lost in 2001.
    LEVY OUT!

20. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Moyesat Spurs?? Jeez I hope not!!What did i tell you all in other posts that LVG would choose the Mancs. It seems he was holding out for it. Can't blame him - better setup than us by miles. Never mind we'll take the leftovers as we always do coaches and players alike.

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button