Tottenham Hotspur: America's team? It could be, if Levy sticks to what he does best

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by JACK TAGG, June 9, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JACK TAGG

JACK TAGG New Member

The World Cup is less than a week away. While it is an exciting month for the citizens of all countries involved, it is equally enthralling for supporters of European Club Teams, including Tottenham Hotspur. Now that the Pochettino hiring is official, the World Cup represents a time for Spurs’ supporters to view some of the talent that they hope Daniel Levy and Pochettino will bring in over the summer. It is imperative however, that Spurs’ supporters get excited about the “right” talent.

The summer of 2013 was the “Summer of Lessons” in the transfer market for Spurs’ supporters, and hopefully, Daniel Levy. Widely respected for his business background and negotiating skills, Levy has developed a business model which has seen Spurs ascend rapidly during his tenure. This model focuses on reasonable transfer payments for up-and-coming talents, and veterans available for less than market value. This led to such astute signings as Modric (21M), Berbatov (15.7M), Bale (14.7M), Van der Vaart (10M), Sandro (10M), Vertonghen (12.5M), Lloris (12.6M), Dembele (19M), and Walker (5.9M), just to name a few.

*all above and below transfer figures are approximate values in Euros, courtesy of transfermarkt*

On the selling side of the market, starting with Michael Carrick in 2007, Levy placed a “can’t resist” figure on his stars. Once this figure was met, he didn’t hesitate to offload top talent for massive profits. This policy saw the departures of Carrick (27.2M), Modric (30M), and Berbatov (38M). Each time, the profits were used to bring in more players, under the model above, thus strengthening and deepening the overall squad. The Bale transfer (94M) changed all of that…..it was simply too much money.

When the Bale money was used in the above model, it led to good or great signings. Among these were Paulinho (19.73M), Eriksen (13.5M), Capoue (11M), Chiriches (9.5M), and Chadli (8.15M). However, due to the massive amounts of money available from the Bale sale, Levy also decided to break the mold to bring in Soldado and Lamela (both 30M).

Since 2007, the only players which Levy has purchased for over 21.5M have been the following: Darren Bent (24.75M), David Bentley (22M), Roberto Soldado (30M), and Erik Lamela (30M). None of these were finalists for transfers of the season, to put it gently.

The above figures show that Levy has great success in identifying potential in transfers under 20M, and a horrific ability to beat out other top clubs for the right players once the figure goes above that. To be fair, the jury is still out on Lamela. I hope he enjoys a healthy 2014-2015, so an appraisal can be made.

This all leads to the important question: Which players from the World Cup should Spurs’ supporters keep an eye on? Luckily, Bill Barnwell, of grantland.com, unintentionally created the perfect Spurs’ supporters guide to the 2014 World Cup.

All the players profiled would be terrific signings, and most would be available under the 21.5M threshold. However, there is one name on his list which should stand out to Mr. Levy and Mr. Pochettino, and should be at the top of their summer wish list: Julian Green.

Fortunately, it appears that Mr. Levy and Pochettino are thinking in a similar fashion. On Friday, Metro reported that Spurs are keen on making Green Pochettino’s first signing with the club. The price valuation is believed to be around 5M Pounds to sign him from his current club, Bayern Munich.

Green is a prodigious young wing talent, who recently chose to represent the USA over Germany in his international football career. Since his announcement, he has received 2 caps with the USA, and was named to their 23 man squad for the upcoming World Cup. All reports out of the USA camp is that the youngster is a special talent, and is sure to make a splash in the near future. However, since his current club may be the hardest starting 11 to break in all of Europe, Green is ready to move on. If Green had spent the past 2 years starting for a lower division side, or a first-division in a smaller league in Europe, it is fair to reason that his price tag would be much higher.

Getting him now, and letting him develop under Pochettino in a similar fashion to Shaw, Lallana, and Rodriguez, could see big returns on the field. Besides the benefits he could potentially provide on the pitch, there is a second element to Green’s signing, which will mean ever more to Businessman Levy……..the American Market.

Last year, NBC Sports purchased the TV rights to all BPL games in the USA. To many people’s surprise, they decided to jump all-in. Their coverage has been professional, ambitious, and all-encompassing. Shockingly, through NBC, the average American viewer has access to many more BPL games than the average Englishman. In a recent poll, more Americans between the ages of 15-28 are watching the BPL than MLB baseball, which has historically been referred to as “America’s Past Time”. To say that the BPL is growing in America is a massive, massive understatement.

The American talent on display in the BPL, however, has not matched the public’s interest in watching it. Above all else, what the American market craves, is a BPL star of their own. Should NBC be able to unleash an American talent enjoying large success in the BPL, the financial windfall for that player’s team would be immense. Advertising opportunities, merchandise sales, and off-season friendlies in the player-friendly USA would all be within that team’s reach. Based on recent reports out of the USA camp, Julian Green could be this star. With the help of a former Spurs legend, he could also be the first of many to find their way to Tottenham Hotspur. This former legend being the USMNT coach, Jurgen Klinsmann.

Klinsmann recently signed a contract extension until 2018 with the USMNT, so the pressure is off of him for this World Cup. This is a good thing, since Klinsmann’s main focus since taking over the USA post has been an absolute overhaul of their youth system. Basing many of his ideas on Belgium’s recent “Golden Generation” approach, the USA is just beginning to see rewards from his efforts. There are more technically gifted players between the ages of 13-17 than there have ever been in American football. With Klinsmann’s motivation to have all of his best players earning their trade in Europe’s top leagues, a partnership with Tottenham is a perfect fit. Considering all of the rewards that Spurs have received from their “special partnership” with Real Madrid, it is high time they enter an agreement which actually could help their team.

In summary, by sticking to what he does best, Levy could sign a player who helps Tottenham both on and off the field. I hope that Julian Green becomes Tottenham’s first signing of the summer, for all of the reasons stated above. Additionally, I can’t wait to watch all of the young talent on display in Brazil at the World Cup. Like all other Spurs’ supporters, I will be imagining how great they would look in a Tottenham 2014-2015 Home Kit……..as long as they cost less than 21.5M.

2. Perry Guest

Although i agree with most of what you are saying, i still feel like we may need a marque signing, someone who will come in the team and bring with them a winning mentality, maybe a left back a left mid or a really good striker, they don't have to cost an arm and a leg they just have to be "that player" if you understand what i mean, like when we signed Van Der Vaart, the players seem to change their ethic and really showed up, we need an impact player. Coys

3. Lemmy Lurch Guest

you mention the BPL a number of times but I have never heard of this , EPL yes and SPL although a joke I have heard of but never the BPL

4. Phil Guest

BPL stands for Barclays Premier league. I've noticed commentators use the latter a lot

5. sheikh352 New Member

Very interesting article. As for Perry's comment, as nice as it is to see "marquee signings", I don't think it is really necessary for us. Pochettino arrived at Southampton and they had no-one who could be described as a marquee player. Yet, now that he has left, a number of his former players are attracting the attention that would make them marquee signings for most clubs. Lallana, Shaw and Lambert have all become England World Cup players under him. Indeed, when he DID have a go at signing a "name" player, in Dani Osvaldo, the results were little short of disastrous. Far better to let him work his team-comes-first ethic on the players he has and those he brings in, rather than wait for a superstar to join.

Naturally, it would be nice to sign Messi, Ronaldo, or even Coutinho - but it is just as nice (and even more satisfying) to watch someone blossom and become that marquee player, in time, such as we witnessed with Gareth Bale (another one from the Southamption production line.) If that is to be Julian Green - then bring him on!

Although I don't think the American market is anywhere near as lucrative as the Asian market, it is absolutely nothing to be sneezed at, either. Largely untapped, the timing (immediately following a World Cup) could not be better, for priming the next set of fans and sponsors and getting them on OUR side!

6. Stephen Guest

See and I thought it was British Premier League since it started precisely with the arrival of two Welsh teams who are not, of course, English. Hmmmmm.

7. Gloster Guest

Spurs should have kept Dempsey as well. A very intelligent player whose contribution to our overall play was far greater than many fans realised. We missed Bale but also Dempsey, and of course he was an American compatriot of Brad Friedel which would also help gain supporters in the USA.

8. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Nice article.

I DON'T imagine Mauricio will sign more than 2/3 players this summer given the newly assembled feel the squad already has - leaving the Argentine to focus more on moulding a team from a bunch of talented individuals, rather than recruitment.

Capoue, Lamela, Soldado and Chiriches will all seem like new players following the stop-start seasons they endured last year, whilst Eriksen, Paulinho and Chadli SHOULD improve markedly after experiencing their first campaign in the EPL.

Add to the mix, players like Holtby, Fredericks, Carroll and Pritchard who will be returning from their respective loan spells, this season, and it becomes harder to believe that Spurs will embark on any kind of MAJOR overhaul of the first team squad.

I DON'T believe the team needs one either...

Personally, I would be happy to see MORE sales than buys this summer, with the 3 Academy graduates mentioned above being promoted to the first team squad.

As far as the Juilan Green rumours go, I just can't see it unless Spurs intend on going on a bigger recruitment drive than I anticipate. Despite possessing a handful of caps for the USA, Green is still largely untested as a SENIOR professional footballer and yet is likely to cost a substantial amount of money.

The fact that Spurs already possess a whole host of players who are capable of playing in those wide positions, I struggle to see the need to invest in another unless at LEAST two members of the current squad (who play in those areas) are sold.

I mean is Green REALLY better placed to make an impact in the EPL than someone like Alex Pritchard? Because, I'm not convinced.

Last edited: June 9, 2014
  9. Perry Guest

There is only a few places i feel we need players and they are:
    1 x Lb (Rose is not good enough for top 4)
    1 x Cb (sell Dawson to old and slow now)
    1 x Lm (we need Eriksen in the middle to unlock his full porential like with Modric)
    1 x St (Sell Adebayor and loan kane to a prem team, both Chadli and Lamela can play up front as back up) we need to sell some of the fringe players and cover these areas if we want to stand a chance at a top four finish in my opinion.

10. dancingbear New Member

Interesting article, thanks. I agree about not necessarily needing a "marquee player" - not yet, anyway. Some help at the back and front, yes, but that's about it. This coming season should be about the players we have actually being coached and set up in a system that suits them. Although I'd rather Danny Rose were sold, if he stays I think you'll see a huge improvement from him next year, because of the coaching he'd receive (by that, I mean actually getting some coaching). Give this team a year under Pochettino, THEN go get that marquee player this time next year.

11. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Market THFC in USA? I think you are day dreaming, my friend... Americans call football soccer and in popularity it is on the bottom of the all sports list. Levy should think about keeping his job, not to expand into different countries where the sport, let alone his club, is not known. If anything that is for hugely successful clubs. Spurs, although have potential, are far from being such at this time.
    The article correctly describes the business mechanism Levy has adhered to. It is not uniquely his, though. All clubs do that more or less, he was successful in it as of late and should be given credit for it. If only Levy was able to see a potential in managers he is seeing in players. Then we would not need to go through so many of those (although he did the same trick with Tim Sherwood, making him a EPL managerial material out of youth team coach). It also worth to notice that the effort of popping out the players from incubator Levy advocates for does not always produce the desirable results in standings often working against team advancement.

Last edited: June 9, 2014
  12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We need a proper LB, 2 Imposing consistant CBs, and Lukaku/Benteke if we want to be taken seriously !

13. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Interesting article although im trying to not get to worked up over transfer speculation at the moment and I really don't see us buying big at the world cup this year or buying players just for the sake of buying players with future marketing potential. I expect us to strengthen in a few key areas such as LB, CB, and maybe that 20+ striker that we all dream about and apart from that we might need to replace a few players that could leave the club such as the likes of Sandro who may well want to leave so would need replacing. Im hoping of course that Sandro doesn't want to leave but its a possibility and the same goes with a few others that will want to leave. I also don't think we will see much activity until MP has a chance to analyse and assess his squad and given that this might not happen until july ..ish with the possibility of some players not being available until august we will probably go into the pre season with a mix of youth and fringe players like Townsend, Lamela, Kane, after all MP was brought in to develop these types of players so I don't expect to many ins and outs this year.

14. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Football is an emerging sport in the USA and it would be foolish/negligent of Levy NOT to try to capitalise on that, given the size and wealth of the States.

With the new NBC deal to show EPL matches regularly, Gareth Bales brief appearance on a billboard, in a Spurs shirt, somewhere in the US (as well as his world record transfer), Tottenhams sponsorship deal with American sports brand Under Armour , recent pre-season trips to the States, the acquisition of Brad Friedel AND the high-profile sales of Robbie Keane, JD and Cudicini to clubs in the MLS... You could say Levy's vision of growing/marketing the Spurs brand 'across the pond' is working perfectly!

And that's without mentioning arguably the most well-renowned sportsman in the world training with the club, while being registered with LA Galaxy.

I suppose when you look at it like that, then signing a young, talented USA international, with experience of the European game, begins to make A LOT MORE sense.

If Spurs want to continue to grow ON the field, they MUST continue to do this kind of global networking OFF it...(in the words of Carl Froch) 'it's as simple as that'!!!

15. big fran Guest

Agree a marquee signing isn't a necessity right now but certainly gives the fans a lift and I notice James Rodriguez has today been linked and would be a great but unlikely signing and can play all 3 supporting roles to the front man. Seems we are all in agreement that we need a LB CB LW and a striker. My choices being lovren/alderweild at centre half. Ash Cole or rodrigues of Switzerland and wolfsberg at Lb. Remy upfront. 9m steal! And jay Rodriguez for the left mid berth to move eriksen more central with a combination of two from capoue Sandro dembele paulinho in behind. Would love lukaku or benteke but cannot see that happening with the mooted price tags and the fact that soldado needs to be utilised more after the time and money spent and his undoubted quality if the team is put together more balanced!!

16. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Spurs have FOUR CB's already. IF Dawson is prepared to fight for his place, starting as the 4th choice, then I DON'T believe Spurs 'NEED' another CB, at all.

Who is Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City or Everton's 4th choice CB?

With Kaboul, proving his fitness towards the end of the last campaign, Vertonghen, Chiriches ( all of who are capable of being 1st choice CB's at Tottenham) at the club, ably deputise by the reliable/able Dawson, why Spurs supporters are crying out for ANOTHER CB is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, if Dawson is NOT happy to start as the clubs 4th choice, OR a good offer comes in for him (at the age of 29/30), then sell. But as things stand, Spurs are MORE than adequately cover in that position.

Hey listen, was calling for the club to sell Daws when AVB first arrived, but the majority of people on forums such as these were saying Michael still had a LOT to offer the club...and to be fair to the Spurs club captain, he did, performing admirably in a NUMBER of games after being reinstalled by Villas-Boas.

Dawson has NEVER been the quickest, or the most mobile of players, so why people ONLY seem to be recognising these things now is a mystery to me.

What the English CB has ALWAYS relied upon is:

• His reading of the game.
    • His positioning.
    • His aerial ability.
    • His communication/organisational skills.
    • His aggressive/fully committed approach to the game.
    • His timing (of tackles/when to get tight, etc)
    All things that, when he is at his BEST, he remains VERY good/adept at.

Has anybody forgotten that Spurs' defensive record was pretty good (although a large part of that was down to luck, Mousa Dembele SACRIFICING himself, and desperate defending, more than judgement) at the beginning of the season?

The problems Spurs had conceding goals/chances were NOT down to the defence, or any one particular individual, alone, but down to the SET-UP and LACK of BALANCE within the team as a whole.

• Paulinho was vacating the CM area FAR too early to go forward, without giving a second thought as to who/what was going on behind him.
    • Our MOST creative CM, Mousa Dembele, was either being asked to, or simply having to, play a more defensive/disciplined game, than he would have liked, to compensate for the Brazilians reckless roaming.
    • There was no TRUST, UNDERSTANDING or COHESION in the engine room (throughout the course of the campaign, despite it being arguably the most important area of a team) and the knock-on effect it had on the team was clearly evident, from a balance point of view (i.e. attack and defence).
    The combinations used in that particular department (CM) over the duration of the season (WITHOUT mentioning others) were BEWILDERING/LOP SIDED/ ILL ADVISED, at best.

Now there is a SIMPLE formula required when forming an EFFECTIVE 2 man midfield combination at ANY level of the game, and it is: Destroyer/ Creator. Dogsbody/ Dictator. Heart/ Brain...etc

Now AVB, seemingly, failed to grasp the importance of this SIMPLE ideology/practice AFTER stumbling on a near perfect combo of Sandro/Dembele in his first season in charge, deciding to replace the 'heart' with an altered ego (Paulinho), thus leaving the brain (Dembele) exposed and lacking direction.

And Tim Sherwood appeared to have little regard for a 'destroyer' in the midfield, relying on a number of 'creators' to focus on tasks FAR removed from their comfort zones.In truth, the Spurs defence isn't as bad as it looked on occasions, last season, the TEAM as a whole, just needs to be MORE organised, and better prepared/equipped to play with, and without, the ball.

AVB's team, in the end, lacked cohesion (despite having the ingredients)

And Sherwoods team, in the end, lacked, resistance/backbone (despite having the ingredients)

17. big fran Guest

I think our defense was shocking tbf last season and fell to pieces at times in the drubbings v west ham city Liverpool Chelsea and benfica.. And struggled against mobile centre forwards with pace and movement. Dawson a player whom I'm fond of has undoubtedly become less mobile and only ever looked a real quality cb when having his backside wiped off king and jv last season. Kaboul also is a yard slower and struggling to play bk to bk games and shake off niggles. Jv is a quality Cb on his day but needs a partner he can hang his hat on and a left bk that doesn't need constantly babysitting. I don't think chiriches has done enough to justify that status right now but I certainly have high hopes for him and would like to see him play more on the right side.

Felon82 likes this.
  18. Spurporter Well-Known Member

NBC offers an ample coverage of EPL in US now, but it is on the channel that very few people buy. NBC Sport Network is part of Premium package both cable and satellite companies charge premium $$ for.

@Ramos43 - Although your point regarding importance of team defense is well made, I have to disagree with you take on Dawson. He may offer a lot still, but whatever he can offer better suits the club that fights relegation. We need an upgrade at defense personnel. Dawson is a great human being and a leader, but not for the club aiming at top 4. I think his leadership did not quite deliver past season, no matter how much Tim Sherwood relied on it.

19. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Also agree that we have four decent CBs at the moment, and I also agree that Daws isn't as bad as some say, however, that being said he's simply not good enough for a top four club and will never be first choice. Kaboul is a better option but for me although he's a good CB on his day injuries have taken their toll and he's not the player that he once was and can no longer be considered reliable. I don't think we have enough quality to see us through the next season and the cups. For me the jury is still out on Vlad which makes JV our one and only top CB. Any injuries similar to last season at the back could once again see us depleted and vulnerable in defence. Even if we don't make changes this year the likes of Daws and Kaboul will become much less reliable and more of a liability. Decisions will need to be made, this year or next year ? Worst case scenario, we keep Daws and Kaboul, injuries finish off Kaboul, Daws another year worse for wear and unsellable, maybe Verts will wantaway and we are left with one CB in vlad. We could make it through this year without bringing in a new CB but if a quality CB should become available, Alderweireld anyone ? then I think we should move sooner rather than later.

20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Im sorry but our defence was an utter shambles last season it was embarrassing! Dawson is good in the air thats about it, kaboul is way too injury prone and not consistant enough, jans body language and effort was appalling (although a good player) chiriches shows flashes of class but also has a kamakazi side to his game. Rose and naughton r shockingly bad and bonzos pace saves his poor positional sense. We have needed a consistant solid CB pairing for years were forever limping someone around in the centre of our defence and patchin up, LB bae did a much better job than the clowns whove replaced him but its again been a glaring weakness in our side.
    Anyone that witnessed that calamity last season and thinks we dont need new adequate defenders have not a clue about football!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button