Tom Carroll 2013-14 - Scout report by a QPR fan

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Bobo, May 29, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Bobo New Member

Harry Redknapp moved to reunite with Tom at the end of the Summer transfer window, a move of which excited Rangers fans following his recent performances for the England U21's. It was strange that Redknapp made the move for the youngster, with only 7 first team games for Spurs under his belt, he was often loaned out and Harry has certainly continued in that way this season, loaning out QPR's promising youngsters across the leagues and bringing in baffling loans of his own in Maiga and Keane when he had young and hungry players right under his nose..

He made a promising debut in a scrappy 1-0 victory over Birmingham in September and cemented his place in the side throughout the month, only for injury to put a stop to his run of games. He returned to the side in early December with a place on the bench away at Doncaster, but forced his way back into the first eleven for the next home game against Bournemouth and it was clear he had been missed, pulling the strings in an excellent 3-0 win. He was outstanding again in the next game against Blackburn in a man of the match performance. He was once again a regular starter, breaking only for an FA Cup tie at Everton where Spurs refused him permission to play.

With injuries to Faurlin, Phillips and Austin, the team was becoming unsettled and form was beginning to suffer. Unfortunately, Tom was becoming the target for the Rangers boo boys. Despite this, Redknapp kept the faith and he kept his place throughout the month of February, which concluded with our worst performance of the season away at Charlton.

By this time, Rangers had clinched the signing of Ravel Morrison on loan from West Ham and with Charlie Austin still out injured, it was clear that Redknapp was moulding the team around the gifted youngster. Unfortunately, it was Carroll who made way to cater for him and Tom was restricted to making appearances from the bench.

He returned to the starting eleven as Rangers got a corner turning result away at Middlesbrough. His chance was taken once more and he was outstanding in a 1-0 win over Wigan at Loftus Road in a midweek match. He was disappointing, as were the whole team in defeat away at Blackburn but the R's responded, Carroll and all, with a 5-2 win over Forest the following Saturday. As Rangers pushed for their play-off place, Carroll remained in the starting line-up against Watford and Millwall.

Tom was an unused sub in the final game against Barnsley where Redknapp played a very weakened team ahead of the Play off Semi Final against Wigan. He was again, on the bench but not required in the first leg draw at the DW and that was the final time he was selected for the R's as victory over Wigan, saw us through to Wembley to beat Derby on our way back to the Premier League. Rightly so, Tom was on the pitch with the rest of the squad during their celebrations.

Tom made 23 appearances for Rangers in their promotion winning season. As mentioned, he divided the Rangers support somewhat and just before the play off final, I conducted a poll on the popular QPR Till I Die facebook page and below are a varied range of responses;

Good: Never stops working, always available for the ball, plays first time, keeps things ticking over, wins possession a lot but without having to commit to challenges, good screening and pressing. Bad: Light weight, can be muscled off the ball, poor long passing, poor shot, instinctively conservative. Overall: Will look good in a good team, bad in a bad team.

I thought he did ok but his game needs general improvement. Playing in midfield, he is not the typical type too aggressively boss that area of the pitch, so he seems to reply on his creativity to pull the strings and try and get players fed between the lines. The slightly worrying thing is, with that part of his game he seems too often panic on the ball, with off stray passes and his final ball. I think he can become a fine player but needs to be able to read the game better, finding himself more space to be able to play forward and pick out the pass. He actually reminds me of Joe Allen a few years back with the same ability and body build. I think he needs a lot more games and I don't see him breaking into the Spurs squad next year.

He needs to work on bulking up and been able to compete more in the centre of midfield.

He's a decent player at best for us. He had moment of brilliance but would follow-up with playing like the younger inexperienced player he is. He might have caps for youth but he is far too inconsistent to see full-time minutes. He gave the ball up to cheaply and played too fast for his own good. With more time and loans he can gain the experience he needs to find himself. He tries to do too much at time but when it works, he's great. Just needs to figure out what type of player he will be. The biggest positives are his movements off the ball as he's a smart player and efficient with his work rate. Just goes too fast again for his own good. 5/10 for me all year.

Tonnes of potential, needs to beef up some

Not suited to the hustle and bustle of championship football, given time and space on the ball he can murder opponents with killer pass... Has the skill and footballing brain, needs to work on his physicality, potential still the byword!!!

Always makes himself available for the ball for the most part distributes well. His build doesn't really matter as he is a ball playing midfielder not defensive that seemed to get him a bit of stick this year even from me until I was made aware of his ability.

I would think he's gained a great deal from us this season and believe he will go on to have a good career where depends on the rest of his development.

You can see he does have a football brain & looks to make the right pass, as others have said he is too lightweight for the championship & more than often got muscled off the ball...this did lead to other teams picking on him to break down our play.

he is lightweight but does give 100% at all times and even when things are not going his way he keeps going.

Personally, I liked Tom Carroll. I do think the Championship was a bit physical for him at times but most of our better performances in the League were with Tom involved. Yes, he did have bad games as well as good, but the thing I liked the most about him, is that he DID NOT ONCE HIDE. Good game or bad game, he always showed himself and was always looking for the ball and was very positive going forward.

To continue his development, I think he does need to play on a regular basis, join a new gym and maybe visit Burger King every once in a while.

A star in the making, without a doubt...

Guest blog from Mr Tone Gibson, co-editor of the QPR Lofty Heights blog

2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Tom is a good kid who does have talent but on the evidence I saw of him this season he is far from being good enough to get in the first 11 at Spurs. Maybe another loan move or sell him but I don't see him as a player spurs need I am afraid.

3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Not good enough sell him, another player talked up but never gona actually do anything so will continue going on loan getting more distant from our 1st team until being released. We need our academy starting to produce players drilled in the 1st team way of playing so its in their dna like ajax n barca so the transition is easier and the quality better.

4. Simon Guest

As many have pointed out, he has a footballing brain. Spurs trainers have to focus on his physical aspect, which he was noticeably lacking during his few appearances for us. The potential is there.but is he worth the effort? Thats for poch to decide.

5. Tricky Guest

Was given the coveted number 10 shirt which instantly put him under pressure, personally, I didn't see anything that smacked of a premiership footballer, not too many players get outmuscled off the ball by one of the young mascots.
    May come good in time, but needs a spell in Div 1 for someone like Crewe who try to play the right way.

6. Chris Guest

What is he know, 22, and still not quite good enough to shine week in and week out in the Championship? I think it may be time to let him pursue his career elsewhere. He is a gifted, if rather average footballer. I don't see what he offers that anyone else doesn't, but I see plenty that others offer in addition to Tom's skillset. He appears to be yet another overhyped Spurs academy product, the latest on the Thelwell-Marney-O'Hara-Bostock production line. I wish him all the best for his future, I just don't see it being at Spurs.

7. CoS Guest

Chris,

The Spurs youth development set-up has produced a number of decent players you failed to mention. There's Ledley King, of course, as well as his traitorous predecessor whose name I cannot bear to mention. Stephen Caulker has done well, earning an England senior call-up even before he went off to Cardiff in a £10m deal. Kyle Walker entered our youth development from Sheffield Utd and became an England regular. Harry Kane made a good contribution to the end of Spurs' season with a few goals. Young Nabil Benteleb broke through under Sherwood and got into the Algerian national team as a result. Alex Pritchard had a good season out on loan and is regarded as highly promising. There are others.

Tom Carroll is still developing. When we played Man Utd in the final of the inaugural U21 league a couple of seasons back, we dominated the first half but they came back and eventually won by targeting Tom in the second half. As has been said above, he's courageous, never hides, works hard and is possessed of considerable technical talent. I have a feeling that he can, with the right coaching and gym work, as well as luck with injuries, develop a wiry strength and physical timing to become a very good player indeed.

Even if he doesn't make the Spurs first team, I'm sure he will have a career in professional football and become one of a long line of credits to Spurs youth development.

8. Thomas Guest

Come on guys, a year ago we were hailing Tom Carroll as the english saviour. Yes he is a little lightweight, but so are Xavi, Iniesta, Modric. Not to say he's as good as these players, but he has that similarity. We should have known that a player of his type would struggle in the physical Championship. Play him as a regular with a Spurs team that is playing attractive football, and he will stand out as a deep lying playmaker alongside a player like Sandro. Imagine a combination of him and Eriksen, they would find so much space, and keep possesion against every team.

9. big fran Guest

I will reserve my judgenent once we see more of him alongside quality prem players rather than over the hill has beens and against championship plodders that would predictably kick him up in the air!!! What tom needs is players that when he gives them the ball can keep it and give him it straight bk so he can recycle it once again. If xavi was to give the ball to iniesta and he lost it we would be thinking whats this boy all about?? Modric was a player of similar ilk and also struggled at first until he filled out and learnt his trade

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button