The January striker signing to support Kane at Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, December 1, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    As we dissected our 0-0 draw with Chelsea on Sunday, a similar Spurs fault was brought to the fore - that is, a lack of pace upfront. Despite controlling proceedings on Sunday, Chelsea were very rarely troubled in terms of players running in-behind their defence and stretching their backline.

And although Kane has returned to top form in recent weeks, a January striker signing would seem a logical step for Spurs as we step up our hunt for a top four place (or dare I say it, a title challenge).

Potential incomings mentioned have included Jamie Vardy and Saido Berahino, while the summer signing of Clinton N'Jie - so far unsuccessful, shows Spurs' intent to partner/back-up Kane with a front man possessing pace.

The striker slipping under the radar?

With Jamie Vardy's price-tag rising week-by-week and doubts over Saido Berahino's attitude - Stan Collymore raising a very good point when saying: "Pochettino has just got rid of players who were causing trouble - [for example] Adebayor. Would he want Saido Berahino seeing his attitude since August?”, a striker I think Spurs should gamble on, is Watford's Odion Ighalo.

Igahlo's seventeenth minute strike at Villa Park, on Saturday, took his tally to eight Premier League goals this season - level with our man Kane. While strikers such as Vardy, Lukaku, Kane and Aguero dominate the back pages, it's fair to say that Ighalo, who was playing Championship football last season, has slipped under the radar.

Ighalo's opener in Watford's win at Villa Park also meant that no player has scored more league goals in the top four tiers than him in 2015 (24, level with Harry Kane). In superb goal-scoring form this year, it's hard to argue against the 26-year-old Nigerian representing a good deal for the Lilywhites in January.

The Hornet's hitman

After scoring 20 goals for Watford in the Championship last season and now eight in the Premier League already, Spurs fans would be forgiven in thinking that Levy would probably baulk his eyes at Watford's asking price if he were to bid in January.

But, it's important to note that Ighalo had the chance to leave Vicarage Road in the summer - prompting the belief that the Hornets would part with their hitman if a fair bid was made. Looking back at his potential summer move, the goalscorer said: “I received an offer from China and they offered me big money; crazy money, but I turned it down.

"For three nights I could not sleep, I kept thinking about it because the Chinese club’s director and everybody was here in London and talking to me every day." Although Watford's number 24 wouldn't come cheap, his price-tag would be significantly lower than the £25 million quoted for Saido Berahino.

Townsend transfer could be key?

News reports suggest Andros Townsend could well be on his way out of Spurs next month - after the player was demoted to the U'21's side and played for them during their 2-1 win over Middlesbrough yesterday.

Having not played for the first team since October 22nd - following a bust-up with fitness coach Nathan Gardiner, Townsend is desperate for first team football in his bid to make England's Euro 2016 squad. Despite being linked with Swansea, Aston Villa, West Brom, Leicester and Newcastle, former Hornet forward Iwan Roberts has had his say on the matter.

Speaking to Sky Sports about Townsend, Roberts stated: “Does he want to move up north? That’s the big question. He likes life in London. Maybe Palace or Watford who have made a good start to the Premier League...They might be sniffing about.

Townsend did spend a short-time on loan at Watford, back in 2011, and if their interest in our number seventeen proves to be genuine, maybe a cash-plus-player offer for Ighalo from Levy this January, would make him a Spurs player in 2016.

2. burnt Guest

Not a dig at you J.B but it always amuses me when we talk about buying other teams best players but then slate our own club or chairman or have meltdowns when any top side comes in and takes one of ours .. No doubt we need cover in a few positions who ever their going to be , just hope it works out because if we,ve learned anything through the years its nearly all transfers are a gamble in the real world .. Its not like fifa or football manager im afraid .... C.O.Y.S .....

Nomadico likes this.
  3. Good idea.. But talking of Watford strikers I'd take a punt on Troy Deeney..
    Not as many goals in the prem but a great team player and real handful for defences.

4. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Silly season is very near, where we are connected to every player that makes the back pages, and the price is sky high,We have a very good crop of kids training with the first team gaining skills so why splash crazy money on a name.....Berahino is on strike to force a move once he is settled he will get his head down,not sure we should pay 25mill ......

5. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Will Watford really sell their star striker when they're fighting the drop, not exactly broke and midway through the season? Unlikely.
    Seems a very Trippier-ish buy.
    Personally, I'd take a punt on Pato. At only 26, if he reaches half of what he used to be, we will get more than our money's worth for him. Get him back to his best, and he was on a par with Aguero, Lewandowski. +, much more likely to happen this January.

John Pitt likes this.
  6. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Watford are not in the drop zone and they grind out results to stay out of it..Pato has an attitude he is another Ade.We need to show the kids that stay and work hard gets you in the team...

7. burnt Guest

Any chance of an Aguero or Lewandowski going to play in Brazil aged 25 - 26 , now i know neither are Brazilian like Pato but the fact he's gone home at that age prob tells a story .. Even they want rid from what I've been reading .. We,ve just got rid of Adebayor , we don't need anything like that situation again .. Remember the last Brazilian striker we were linked with , Leandro Damiao , people creaming themselves left right and centre , he's this , he's that , well where is he now ... Look as i said already in last post all transfers are a gamble to a certain degree but signing the likes of Pato is realy asking for trouble i.m.o ....

John Pitt and Nomadico like this.
  8. Nomadico Well-Known Member

I totally agree we must stay away from Pato,Ade was a nightmare and it cost us Pato is worse,lets stick with the kids we have,Poch will soon have them up to par.....

John Pitt likes this.
  9. burnt Guest

Any chance Everton swapping Stones , Barkley & Lukaku for Fazio , Mason & Andros , it would tidy up the squad a bit ..

Remy Uwilin and John Pitt like this.
  10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We have a clear lack of plan b which means that if our running about alot isn't up to scratch, or we play a side that can weather the storm we wither into dull bitty football.
    Problem is Poch has no plan b, we are only 1/2 injuries away from falling away and we have thread bare options that have the ability to influence a game.
    The Berahino fiasco was an embarrassment, no serious professional club should start a season with 1 recognised Striker in the squad.
    Unfortunately unless we can get someone at the end of a contract we wont be spending silly money to prize a Good player from another club mid season, this should have been dealt with in the summer had it not been for dawdling and short changing the clubs prospects for the season (again).
    As i can see it again we should've done the buisness in the summer (we didn't) therefore we should do the buisness in January (we won't) as the season progresses we will face burn out/fatigue/injuries and our plan A which relies on this to work will fizzle out as will our cup and league campaigns.
    Leaving us potless and without CL football again.

Then 2016 summer window repeat........

Jonesy and notnats like this.
  11. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

January Transfer Window.....been here before.

I'm not a great watcher of a range of leagues, so have a limited view of what is out there. So my views tend to be based on a narrow spectrum of clubs and players.

I've thrown away my Benteke drum, Lukaku is doing too well at Everton. I like Bolasie and Mahrez. Tricky with pace and a better end product than Andros, so fills a big gap for me.

The other key thing is selecting (and successfully buying) players who can slot into a team that is proving to be exactly that - a team, a Spurs team.

Is Berahinho in that category....don't think so. Care is needed to avoid going backwards. But doubtless that well oiled selection committee that gave us the likes of Soldado, Lamela, Fazio, Stambouli, Capoue and the rest will today have a set of Polaroids up on the white board, plotting their tactics with military precision.

In the meantime I'll read all the gossip columns and hope, just hope, that there is a young gem just a few weeks away from pulling on that famous Lilywhite.

As ever COYS

Jonesy likes this.
  12. burnt Guest

Lukaku and Benteke def two that got away but hopefully Poch & Mitchell will have an idea where the next ones are hiding .. C.O.Y.S ...

Nomadico likes this.
  13. big fran Guest

Pato went home due to a continued spate of injuries that led to a down turn of form. Don't remember his attitude being much in question. According to the Brazil national coach he is Brazil's most inform attacker right now. Not sure on that but high praise indeed. Be worth a loan with a view to a permanent deal I think with a set price of around 8m. Prefer sadio mane, jay Rodriguez or a show of intention with maybe laczarette

14. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

January transfers are always overpriced and to be honest most times unworthy. Few of the names mentioned I believe worth looking into; Igahlo, Mane, Laczerette, Bolasie.

For Igahlo and Bolasie, we could offer Townsend as a trade to either Crystal Palace or Watford. Igahlo is a true striker, I think he can play well as a lone striker or with Kane as a partner. Bolasie is more of a winger than a striker but after seeing him play upfront a few times, he may be worth it at the right price.

Either of these teams would be happy to get Townsend, especially Watford having worked with us to get Capoue whose working out pretty well for them. I think Igahlo can be the answer to our problems, won't be cheap though. Sometimes though we need to be strong minded, we NEED a proven premier league striker; Igahlo is!

15. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

As a known pessimist, I shall now surprise you!!! I actually think we will do business in the transfer window.
    I think Townsend will be moved on along with Fazio. I understand the talk of burn out and have myself talked of this, but I don't think we will burn out.
    Currently, we are looking at a premier league where 6 teams are in the chase for the top 4. The same 6 teams are surely looking at the table and thinking they could just win the league.

We know we need a striker but we must get quality film we are to make such a signing. Let's not kid ourselves that Vardy is an option. Leicester will not sell him just yet.
    It may well be that we look at Austin again as someone who can offer similar service as Kane.

Pochettino is currently building a strong squad. I want success yesterday but we are going in the right direction today.

Let's keep backing the manager. Not my strongest point to be fair, but we do need to back him now.
    Stability helps to bring success. I hope!!

Jonesy, Nomadico and Spurporter like this.
  16. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Berahinho remains the best option. What attitude problem does he have? None, except he wanted to wear lilywhite. Pulis still wants to sell him to finance new purchases that are critical to keep his team afloat. Saido is not 26 and young age is very important for Spurs project. By 26 Saido Berahinho may be already out of THFC. I am quite confident in his acquisition this January.

17. Siggy22 Guest

What is the point of signing Berahino if you think he'd be out of the club by the time he's 26? At 26 he'd be coming into his prime as a striker and if we sold him on then we'd all crucify Levy for choosing player profit over team progress!

Berahino - great player, but attitude is an issue. After a few seasons at WHL whose to say he won't strike/refuse to train/ hand in transfer request when the bigger boys come knocking. All hypothetical - but don't think his attitude and temperament represents a Poch player.

Look how Townsend has been dealt with for stepping out of line - at least his outburst was because he WANTS to play for THFC

Nomadico likes this.
  18. guesty Guest

I'd play Townsend as the lone striker in the Euro game

19. burnt Guest

Will Jeremy Peace do business with Levy now after the way it ended in August , that will prob be the main question now in Berahino,s case .. Judging from the outside it looks like he'd rather not and if a deal is struck you'd imagine there wont be any favours done .. All speculation i know and at the end of the day money talks ..

20. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

I understand your position on Poch, Matt. I've not been a fan, but across a broad front - fitness, teamwork, improved defence....it is looking so much better. That our bench lacks game changers says that if we are to really deliver this term, then it's with a core of 11 plus Mason and possibly Bentaleb, Vimmer and any new talent introduced in January.

Nomadico and Mattj78 like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button