Spurs legend says 3 years minimum for Pochettino, slams Soldado in the process

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by George S, May 27, 2014.

Share This Page

1. George S

George S New Member

With Mauricio Pochettino appointed the new Tottenham Hotspur manager, a former player at White Hart Lane has called for the new man to be given time.

David Ginola was an iconic figure during his spell with the club and in an interview with BBC Sport, the Frenchmen called for the Spurs board to be patient with Pochettino.

He feels the only way a club can be successful is to allow a manager time, Ginola said: “Obviously he had a great season with Southampton and we are looking at a very promising manager.

“He has worked well with the players, is dedicated to this job but when you work for one club it doesn’t mean you are going to succeed at the other club. He is a great name, right now.

“Does this manager bring the success and stability to the club? When I say stability, I don’t want to see someone like Pochettino or any other names walking into the job and thinking ‘well, I might be sacked in one or two years.’

“You need to work at least three to five years to bring back the success to a club.”

Ginola’s views will interest Tottenham fans and many will be firmly with his belief that a manager needs time to succeed.

The length of Pochettino’s contract has now been confirmed as five years and this will certainly please Spurs fans who are behind the appointment.

Although he virtually started to achieve positive results straight away with Southampton, guaranteed success may be harder to find at White Hart Lane and had he been given just a three year contract it would have been a worry.

The 42-year-old may not be able to replicate wonders instantly and if this had been the case presumably it wouldn’t have been long before Daniel Levy called for the sack.

But, now Pochettino has been given a five year deal it suggests that patience will be given to the Argentine. With three years, success would have needed to be achieved in around two years – something that might not be attainable.

This five year deal, however, should send out a message that patience will be required and that is something that all Tottenham fans will surely agree with.

Ginola didn’t only comment on Pochettino and the need for time, he also discussed one of Tottenham summer signings from last season and wasn’t too complimentary.

Spaniard Roberto Soldado came in for scathing criticism from Ginola, with the Frenchmen exclaiming that £26 million had been spent to buy a penalty taker.

The former Spurs man said: “Can you believe that Spurs last year spent £100 million plus on players?

“They bought players like Soldado - £26 million for what? Scoring penalties. To be honest I can find players that can score penalties for less than that.”

Harsh comments from Ginola but it would be hard to disagree with them when analysing the stats of the 29-year-old, who celebrates his birthday today.

Goal.com reported last week that the former Valencia striker could depart this summer but that may change with Pochettino coming in.

If patience is being called for in regard to Pochettino, then should the same be said for Soldado? Who only moved last summer from a different league.

Now it has been confirmed that Pochettino has been given a five year deal is this a sign that Levy will now provide a manager with patience? And if this is the case does Soldado deserve another shot at trying to become a White Hart Lane hero?

2. Clive New Member

A year and a half from now, when Spurs haven't finished in the top 4 next season, and we are still getting drubbing's from the likes of City and Pool, Pochettino will be given the sack... Mark my words... We should never have sacked 'arry. .. I blame Levy for our predicament. ..

Felon82 likes this.
  3. Pete Guest

Spurs don't have the players to get into the top 4.

Hopefully the new manager will get rid of all the donkeys like Rose, Capoue, Paulinho and Livermore.

I just want to see entertaining football, which hasn't happened since Redknapp left.

Felon82 likes this.
  4. yard Guest

Harry had us playing decent attacking football but he was in no way the manager to take us forward. He had no plan b!we seen it time n time again playing different formations rotating the squad unnecessarily. He had bale by accident he wanted to get rid of him only injury to. He didn't. even want Rafael van Der vaart. Poch will b a good appointment if given time. We need to stick behind him. COYS.

Ramos43 likes this.
  5. Lemmy Guest

Spurs have far less money than UAE City, Chelski , Utd and Arsenal . Liverpool also now have stacks of CL cash to play with how on earth are Spurs going to get into top 5 let alone top 4 absolutely not going to happen . They invested net zero last year they won't strengthen much this summer. Chelsea and UAE City both regularly change managers and have great success to changing the manager is NOT the issue . Not having Billions in cash IS the issue and that will not change .

6. MK Yid Guest

Glad the manager has been appointed now and not a week before the new season starts in usual Spurs fashion!
    Let's get behind the new manager and the squad and be positive about the future! It's the only way forward COYS

Ramos43 likes this.
  7. sam-spurs Guest

Redknapp was a good manager but dragged a trail load of shti behind him that could fertilise the sahara. He had the tax case, he was ready to ditch spurs for the England job and a job somwhere in arabia for mega money, when things didn't pan out how he wanted he started making demands of leavey for a renewed contract and backing. Obviously someone like leavey won't put up with that so he had to go and I agree. AVB and Tim didn't have a clue how to change a team's formation or how to win a match when behind. We needed 3 more results to be up with Arsenal and they both couldn't get that from a spurs side who are capable of it especially with teams in the lower half of the prem. That's what managers like Wenger, mourinhio, ferguson etc knew how to do. When you give a manager 3 million and seven new players you expect him to know how to get those extra points, last season we needed one more win and avb couldn't do it---with bale, same this season. Maybe mopo can get those extra wins.

Ramos43 likes this.
  8. Would be bob Guest

Is this five years the same as Sherwood's 18 months? How many escape clauses? I,cannot see any Spurs manager lasting 5 years. Unless we are consistently in the top 4, he will get no more than 18 months.

Clive likes this.
  9. spurgatso Guest

Totally agree.....

Clive likes this.
  10. PaulC New Member

Good choice of manager and an early appointment gives players and management to bond. Hope he gets Luke Shaw in as Left Back so we have a steady back 4.

COYS!

Ramos43 likes this.
  11. big fran Guest

So much negativity already.. Let's get behind poch and hopefully he has been given assurances to bring one or two with him..

Ramos43 and PaulC like this.
  12. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Forget Shaw. We've no chance getting him now that Chelsea are interested in him. CL and all that.

13. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Good job, George!

Great news on Poch signing. Well done Levy for not simply being seduced by the glamour of a FDB. And a special thank you to David Moyes for well and truly cocking things up at Utd.;)

Because a culmination of all of those things mean Spurs have made their MOST ROUNDED appointment in years!!!

If your not as excited as me about the arrival of MP, at WHL, perhaps reading this well crafted article might just get those juices flowing:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...intment-can-revitalise-tottenham?ICID=HP_BN_1

14. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

A very good appointment.

Ramos43 likes this.
  15. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

A very exciting appointment. Not my first choice but I still think this could be a fantastic time for the club and its future. Poch comes across as as amiable and intelligent man. Lets get behind him and the club. Time will tell if this young manager can step up to this level, he done very well at Sotn but he hasnt been tested yet. Thats gonna change real soon, lets hope he's given time to build a successful team. Well done.

Ramos43 likes this.
  16. notnats

Ramos - Seduced by the glamour of FDB ? cant help yourself can you. Are you suggesting that FDB would have been a glamour appointment ? lets hope that Poch can emulate FDB achievements and proven abilities. Good luck to FDB and good luck to Poch. Which one needs it more?

17. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Notnats- lol...It seems I'm not the only one, my friend..lol ;)

Not sure if there is any REAL point in commenting too much on De Boer considering the news today, but I will I answer your question Notnats...just because it's you.

It would of been EASY for Levy to be seduced by De Boer, his legendary status as a player, and his impressive trophy haul as a manager (albeit in a poor Dutch league;))with Ajax. To be honest I think that is a mistake (perhaps understandably) Levy has made in the past with the appointments Juande Ramos and AVB respectively.

It seems on this occasion however, our beloved Chairman has taken a MORE ROUNDED view on appointing the clubs latest manager, taking into consideration what appears to be CLEAR set of criteria the board has put in place regarding the filling of the managerial vacancy.

-EPL experience.
    -Playing philosophy
    -Ability to promote youth.
    -Etc, etc, etc

I feel that following this process has led Levy to hire the BEST FIT for the club, RATHER than THE BIGGEST/BEST NAME for the club.

For example, signing J.Ramos on the surface looked like a MASSIVE coup, until you consider he didn't speak the English, whether his methods would lend themselves to the English culture and he had only managed in the comfort zone of his native country.

Or what about AVB, the young Portuguese prodigy that had only 1/2 years of unbridled success at Porto before making an historic big-money move to Chelsea where his methods were found wanting in the new and unforgiving environment of the EPL.

Now, to be fair to Levy I COULD once again understand his thinking behind acquiring the services of a talented, young coach with a HUGE point to prove, and hopefully with the benefit of hindsight still fresh in his mind.

And again, to be fair to the Chairman, and AVB, the Portuguese went on to yield a club record number of points in the PL. But unfortunately AVB failed to capitalise on the momentum gained in his first season and began to revert back to the very things that got him the sack at Chelsea .i.e. lack of flexibility, baffling team selections/tactics and isolating members of his squad.

Yes in theory AVB COULD, and perhaps SHOULD, of been a success at Spurs. But hiring a man who had struggled, not only, with man-management issues, but seemingly the English football culture MAYBE was a risk worth swerving after the controversy that surrounded the departure of a fans/media favourite like 'Arry.

Personally, I was glad to see the back of Redknapp, but AVB wouldn't of been my first OR second choice to replace the Englishman.

Apart from the reasons I have mentioned above, I was concerned about AVB's ability to stamp his philosophy onto a side, in England, with the only rememberable thing about his teams playing style at Chelsea being the NAIVELY deployed high defensive line, and the non-existent press.

There was VERY little evidence that AVB was capable of producing the kind of football, in England, that Spurs supporters had become accustomed to. But to be fair, I DO think AVB proved on more than a few occasion that he could get Spurs playing an attractive brand of football, but hey that's another story.

The bottom line is, NEITHER man REALLY appeared to be a WELL-CONSIDERED appointment at the time...and so it proved.

The same, I feel, cannot be said about Mauricio Pochettino, who was my first choice (after perhaps Klopp) all along.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  18. notnats

Cheers Ramos, I am happy that we have appointed an exciting young manager with huge potential although as yet relatively unproven at this level I still have some doubts, so fingers crossed and good luck. Its a massive step up from moderate success at Soton to the very high expectations at spurs, the whole club, fans included needs to get behind our new manager and give him a fair go.
    As far as FDB goes I will stop harping on about him soon..ish. for me its an opportunity missed.
    Also I cant help but mention ( in good spirit) your use of words such as Levy being seduced by the glamour of FDB as if when considering FDB you would be blinded by his shining light ,or lead away from his duty by something of a false idol, but any way you look at it FDB is the real deal, proven, so trying to dismiss FDB by comparing him to AVB as usual holds no weight other than its your opinion only. In fact you do seem to have a habit of using comparisons to shine a light and support your opinions only. You like to compare Poch with Rodgers and Martinez as if measuring him against them means that he will automatically enjoy the same success. but you don't show much interest in comparing Poch with managers that are even more comparable such a Laudrup and Clarke who also enjoyed some moderate success for a while. Some might even say ( in their humble opinions ) that Poch is even more comparable to AVB, high pressing, high line, sound familiar ? hhmm.
    I wonder if readers might not be seduced by the glamour of your words and embellishments, of course im only saying that because I enjoy your comments too, I just don't believe in them as strongly as you do.

19. notnats

I will support the new manager 100% unless of course if everyone starts calling him mopo. It sounds like a fecking clown, its embarrassing, I cant respect someone called mopo.
    MOPO out!

Mattj78 likes this.
  20. Lee New Member

Great! Now get rid of the deadwood. How about swapping sig, livermore and maybe chadli for one lallana. Hell, soton can have 7 of our players for shaw and lallana!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button