Respect where respect is due

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, May 19, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Tim was not the most popular manager in Spurs history but on Goals on Sunday, he spoke eloquently and my level of respect for him increased tenfold.

No blame

Whilst some may argue that Tim failed to take responsibility for some bad results, he was open and honest and did not blame anyone else either. He said that he had 'a very good relationship with Baldini' and that Daniel Levy 'made all decisions in the best interests of the club, even if he may sometimes get them wrong.'

Tim made it clear that he believes all of the summer signings were sanctioned by AVB and doesn't appear to have an issue with Baldini. I am still not convinced that this was the case, but Tim knows more about the club than me, and once again I think respect is due to Tim for his comments.

"We had a good relationship. I think he has a hand in picking the players but I would have to say I don't think he brings in a player who the manager does not sanction. It's a team effort. The players that are at the club at the moment were sanctioned by Andre Villas-Boas."

Top four?

What Sherwood did question was the ambition of the club to get in the top four last season saying that 'it was an unrealistic target.' The reason for this was that he feels that selling Bale and then signing 7 players who had no Premier league experience was a 'big risk.'

Tim made it very clear that he did not feel that the top four was a realistic aim and he says that he has that conversation with Levy.

"I had a frank conversation with him and told him it was going to be very, very difficult to finish in the top four. I was honest with him. He admitted that it was pretty much accurate, what I was saying, but what he did say was 'can you try to make us a little bit more attractive, score a few more goals'."

We were certainly more open under Tim and that showed up our defensive facilities, but Tim wanted to do as well as he could and considering the situation he came into, I still feel he did a decent job.

Honesty

Ultimately, Tim's honest and passionate outbursts perhaps cost him the job, but today he did not attack THFC which a lot of managers leaving a club do. He clearly feels he did what he could and said he has no regrets and for that I respect him, I really do. Some questioned his comments when he took over, but I think he is an honest person and genuinely wanted spurs to succeed. I just hope he doesn't come back and bite us!

Good luck Tim

I actually think that Tim did an okay job and today showed that he does have a good knowledge of the game. Tim will, in my opinion, go onto be a very good manager and I think whatever people's thoughts on Tim's time as manager, we should wish him luck in his future as a manager.

If you can, I would recommend looking out for the goals on Sunday repeats etc as it is worth watching.

As ever, Come on you Spurs!!

2. amd Guest

You must be just as DIM as TIM cuz he is a walking contradiction, didn't he just say a week ago if he would of been there from day one, we would of got top 4 and now with these bunch of lads that was not feasible, bye Dim Tim and good riddance and he is speaking so pc now cuz he is trying too get hired, but prior he had a scorched earth mentality, berating players and maligning the club at every turn...DE BOER TIME proven winner and not a NOVICE go get your badges Dim Tim...

3. rospur New Member

Yes was nice to see him being so gracious and diplomatic, pity he couldn't manage to do it when it mattered. As for hi football knowledge I was left unimpressed and unsurprised. Yes he's got passion but he needs to learn some humility and earn some respect as a manager.

4. Peter Ag New Member

Sherwood was only ever going to be a caretaker - a fall guy for Levy's ridiculous decision to sack AVB.
    Levy has previous - when he sacked Hoddle he made it clear Pleat would be a caretaker - for Spurs this meant a lost season and the fans were not happy so this time he just lies ... 18 month contract with a six month break clause. Sherwood therefore had no chance, was under attack from day 1, any slip of the tongue was amplified by the media who all of a sudden change their tune and tell all and sundry that 'Tim Deserved Better'. SPURS FANS DESERVE BETTER ... MUCH BETTER ...

Mattj78 likes this.
  5. big fran Guest

Like yourself I gained quite a lot of respect for Tim but you cannot hide the fact that he was tactically inept. Doesn't like def MIDs and after the fa cup defeat where he played 442/ and got schooled claimed it wasn't a four four 2/ because the wingers funnelled in tho 'help out'!! Come on where did he learn this nonsense from Harry's infamous white board.The modern day manager will build his team around a def mid as a pivot and some choose to employ a double pivot. Its not a coincidence that mourinhos first move is to spend big on matic after his success first time around with makalalee.. Utd suffered this season due to not having any quality in that pos as have arsenal. While city and Liverpool have prospered with Gerrard and fernandinho respectively. Best thing is we have Sandro who is one of the best around!

Ramos43 likes this.
  6. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I agree that Tim made mistakes but my point is really just that most managers slag off their former employers when they get sacked and Tim has not done that. He even highly praised levy which made my stomach turn, but I still think he deserves some respect. Hopefully he will learn from his mistakes.

7. big fran Guest

Added to that we have the perfect mix of players to play a midfield 3 with Sandro holding next to a deep lying playmaker who can also travel with the ball from def to attack in dembele and Eriksen playing as a loose no 10 off a lone striker be it soldado or Ade. Although our player of the season I felt eriksen was wasted out wide and also left an already poor left bk exposed (rose of course). At present I cannot see where we are going to aqquire a quality left bk from so would recall Bae who I've never had a problem with unless Cole could be signed. l
    Believe we need two or three new centre half's with Dawson to leave doubts over kabouls fitness chiriches still a work in progress and JV attitude up in the air. Micah Richards and alderweild good options as they can both cover at RB. soldado and lamela have been heavily invested in so need a manager to a) build a team shape to fit their style b)integrate them into the shape regardless off whether it costs top four. It has to be a long term rebuild now and it will take time. Rodriguez and milner Remy would all be good additions due to their quality and versatility.

8. big fran Guest

Oh yeah I agree totally.. Tim showed a lot of class and was a great interview that we seldom see these days due to PC issues n gagging order agreements ..

Mattj78 likes this.
  9. stoner Guest

I agree with you Rose, Daws & Kaboul bye bye.
    Get BAE back also Ryan Fredericks and Lewis Holtby.
    Capoue & Chadli out on loan.
    Keep all the others.
    Bring in Hernandez, Remy, Richards, Anderweirld, Milner, Benteke and Rafa Benitez to manage them and turn them into a winning team and press onwards and upwards.

10. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Usually sacked managers lie low for a while but not our Tim. He seems to love the media and they seem to love him back. Maybe he will end up as some sort of pundit, someone who never shy's away from saying it how it is. He'd actually be a good laugh and a good read. I haven't seen the interview, been a bit busy but did Tim really say that he didn't criticise anyone publicly ? hilarious he's worse than Paolo Di Canio. Anyway good luck Tim, I look forward to seeing more of you, at another club! take care, its been emotional.

Ramos43 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button