Priorities for next season (2020/2021), how to approach recruitment?

Discussion in 'Featured' started by Jesper, July 27, 2020.

?

Approach to recruitment

1. 1. Tweak the strategy from the past

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2. Copy another club and tweak to suit

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. 3. Something else, please specify

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Share This Page

1. Guesty Guest

I guess it will depend on their wages. DL probably wouldn't pay half what they want.

And anyone seen that DL wants £35m for Aurier!?!! .....so he makes a £12m profit.
    My guess is Milan will now back out.

2. Preed

Preed Active Member

The scum are also reputedly the favourites for Magalhaes a class defender.They buy 3 world class players and we so far have bought an average premiership player.It appears that Milan want the walking disaster Aurier but Levy wants 35 million which means Milan will drop out.We really don’t stand a chance with this man in our club.The scum are having to get rid of staff so must be suffering in the pandemic but they can still spend on the most important thing the team while Levy uses it as an excuse to not spend.Liverpool have offered only half what Norwich want for Jamal Lewis so go on Levy surprise us all and put in a proper bid and also sign the Korean centre half before an Italian team does

3. Preed

Preed Active Member

Rumour has it we are interested in Calum Wilson.Am i the only one who thinks this would be a waste of money.His goal scoring is not prolific and is he better than what we have or will he be another Moura.I would much prefer Ollie Watkins younger and more versaile

4. Guesty Guest

I don't think we've been blessed with good decisions over recent years...... to be honest some high priced shockers

But as I've said before.... we are where we are. EL early stages is not going to attract top players.
    Wilson has PL experience and is relatively cheap for a forward.
    It's an easy decision.....and I expect more like that.

Who's to say he won't step up. If he doesn't its not a massive spend.
    And if we spend £10m on him and get £15m for Foyth..... I'd say its good business

5. THFC Guest

I would go Wilson all day long...I actually think he would be a great signing. He’s got years of PL experience, he’s pretty quick, a decent finisher and reasonably strong.

If we want to keep Kane, Wilson is exactly the sort of player we need. Better than an older player in the style or Llorente and more to add than someone young.

I have not been a fan at all of our playing style under JM (although the results have been decent) so far but I have to say I’m impressed at these early stages with the changes being made, if all happen.

Hojbjerg looks like a decent addition in an area we desperately need, selling KWP, Aurier, Foyth and any others that have all been mentioned would be great including swapping Ndombele for Skrinar.

if we can pick up Wilson and a decent Pair of FB’s things are looking up.

Ledders into the first team coaching squad is a great move.

Just hope then JM gets us playing a bit more positively then it’s a bit brighter but if not at least he is sorting the squad out

Felon82 likes this.
  6. Jesper Member

If Wilson is available then I think he'd be a good option, I am surprised that Crystal Palace hasn't moved for him already. But maybe they need to figure out what to do with Zaha first.... Still, for them then a striker would seem to be what they need.

Hopefully the CM position is sorted soon.

7. Preed

Preed Active Member

See Ericson leaves spurs and is now in semi final of European competitionWith good chance of winning unless they play United who once again get a penalty to rescue them.Is there any team who get more penalty’s than them in world football.Transfer window ominously quiet apart from Chelsea Man City Liverpool and. Arsenal.Are we really interested in Maitland niles who arsenal need to sell so they can buy.I hope not.

Liverpool

8. THFC Guest

I know we have been linked with a couple of new CB’s and one is most definitely needed.

Watching CL now and yet again Upamecano stands out...if we are going to invest in that position, he would be my first choice and looks to be worth the $40m + mentioned. He’s 21 and very fit....plays out from the back and a monster. He kind of looks like a fit Ndombele crossed with Ledley King.

9. Preed

Preed Active Member

I agree about. Upamecano but even if Leipzig would let him go I think you would see quite a few teams bidding for him and we all know what happens if Levy is in a bidding war.Nothing???At least the team that put us out ha ve reached the semi final of the champions league.Why do spurs never give the supporters any idea of what they are trying to do.United make no excuse for being after Sancho Chelsea have already signed 3 top class players city have signed2 and are after more while we have to salivate over signing an average premiership player even the scum have signed. A player Spurs have wanted for years And will probably get Coutino.We don’t seem able to unload the dross either
    Q

10. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Morning all, trust you and your families are safe and well.

Watching premier football again - as in Champions League - makes our dearth of defensive quality stand out. Strong, powerful back 4 players stand out so much for me, given our weakness in that area. At best, if I’m being generous, only an ageing Toby gets a start. That means on a good day we’re still short of 3/4 of our back 4.

The real worry with all of that is that we have little or no chance of filling those gaps in this transfer window. A team that hopes to get to, say, top 4 with Aurier, Dier and Davies in the side will absolutely not succeed, period.

So we’ve got a side that in midfield and up front can just about compete, but a failing defence. Nothing new of course. It’s depressing for sure.

COYS

Felon82 likes this.
  11. Jose's Ghost Guest

All the best to you and yours Bazza.

Don't give up on the defence just yet... there is still some quality left.

Properly managed Lloris and Toby can still be premium for another season yet. Sanchez has the tools though he has regressed slightly... Jose should be able to fix that inconsistency. Dier looks a proper Viking these days... he needs to stay fit for 12 months then we will know for sure. It is all relative... when Maguire goes for 80 million and a player like Bergwijn makes him look like a human turnstile then I'm not too fussed about our centre-backs. Fullback is an obvious concern but Davies is serviceable enough. Aurier may be on his way so we'll see who is brought in to replace him... there is no depth there though for sure.

I think defensively midfield has been a big part of the problem but Holjberg looks and sounds like a certified hardnut so he should help in that regard at least.

It's not going to be pretty to watch but I can see this team being functionally decent.

12. Dan Guest

I'm glad just to see some transfer activity in comparison to more recent transfer windows. I think Jose is more pragmatic about player potential and less 'blinkered' than Poch although I'll never understand why we re-signed Eric Dier. I think he's much better identifying the deadwood and then trying to move out of the side. At this point, would like to see players like Danny Rose, Juan Foyth, Erik Lamela, maybe Serge go. Assess Ndombele's willingness to address his fitness problems. Start playing him regularly with Hojbjerg but cut your losses quick & sell if player mentality is not likely to change. If Spurs are not likely to hire a DoF in the short-term (L. Campos, Lisle), an upgrade of the scouting department is absolutely necessary. Transfer strategy/policy has been an absolute albatross at the club. As others have said, buying for value instead of need/address weaknesses is the height of arrogance. It should not be a surprise that Liverpool have put us to shame when it comes to player acquisition/development.

13. Preed

Preed Active Member

I see Pochetino is rumoured to be favourite for Barca job.They lost to Bayern 8-2 last night but didn’t spurs lose to them to 7-2 or have the Barca directors forgotten.Maybe after tonight’s performance by city they don’t fancy Pep again.

14. THFC Guest

I think Poch would do a great job at Barca if he got the job and I would actually like to see him given the chance to see how he goes. Not sure if it would be a great time to go there though with Messi being 33 and out of contract next season. Take him out of their side and they are pretty **** now and need a decent clear out

15. palmover Active Member

In terms of 1st team additions i think the main business is done PEH. If the right offer comes for Serge/ Ndom spurs according to reports might get a 1st team ready Cb and Rb. The remaining buys will be squad players with potential. Spurs have been linked with Wilson who is an ok back up and helps balance the squad.

A case could be made to move on several players, however, i think spurs need to be cautious and would only actively try to move on Lamela as his injury record means he will at some stage miss games and at 28 he may hold a value 0f 20m.

Sisoko is another i would consider selling, however, i think he is still a decent squad player.

16. Preed

Preed Active Member

Palmover if you think the 1st team selection is done we are in dire straights for next season as that team won’t finish top 6.Once again we play the levy waiting game until all the good buys are snapped up and we sign also rans who sit on the bench for the whole season.We signed gedson because we missed Fernandez.Where does gedson play I don’t know and I don’t think Mourino does either.We also signed Sessengon and don’t know where to play him also Clarke from Leeds and he has not been seen and does not play regularly on loan.Add the disaster that is Foyth and you can see that your idea of buying squad players is not very successful and is why we never will challenge the top 2 until our attitude changes.

17. THFC Guest

The odd thing with the recent signings is they appear not to have been scouted...it’s like we are signing players based on what we have heard or on who they are linked with.

Gedson made no sense at all and adds nothing to the squad, same with Clarke and Sess.

Ive said it before and will say it again, I’ve not been impressed with the way JM has us playing so far but that being said, I am impressed with the players he is shifting and the potential replacements being mentioned (if they come off). If we then start to play a little more on the front foot, my opinion of JM will shift.

What is clear, JM needs Levy to step up now and move on the likes of Aurier & Foyth. He also needs to make a big call on Ndombele sooner rather than later. If we are to sort our issues in the transfer window, it needs to be in the next couple of weeks or anyone decent will be gone and we will be in the same position as the last few seasons.

18. THFC Guest

Joe Hart...surely not

19. Preed

Preed Active Member

Can’t make it up joe hart???I believe there is an ulterior motive which is to help with the necessary English numbers demanded by the rules and he can’t be worse than the backups we have who are not English.I hope this is the reason because if not we should be looking for a young keeper to take over from lloris eventually.I keep seeing silly posts in the press that we are going for Bale.We can’t afford his wages and is he really the player he was after 2 years of not caring whether he played or not.Any player worth his salt would have moved on instead of playing games with the Real Madrid board even though they treated him appallingly

20. THFC Guest

I don’t think bale would have anything like the impact we all hope he would if he came back (not that it’s going to happen). As you say, 2 years not playing and not really apprearing to care about it will not only lose the momentum and confidence that he built in previous years but will also take a little piece of him with it.

Perhaps Hart will be ok as a back up? There were some pictures of him training in the gym recently and he was ripped...maybe he has had some time to really get fit and get a second (or final) wind in his career....he was pretty decent 5 years ago and is only 33 still.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button