Poch furious with sloppy Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, January 13, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Tonight was a must win game for Spurs to send out their intentions to the rest of the Premier league. The anger on the face of Pochettino said it all. Spurs successes this season have been built on a solid defence and the removal of the age old Tottenham " soft underbelly".
    Tonight it reared its very ugly head in the 83rd minute. A corner from the left and 6 Spurs players stood still, Dier fell over and Huth powered past Lloris to take all 3 points.
    And I would not want to be in the Spurs dressing room right now.

To be truthful, Spurs were the better team. Lamela worked hard and had 2 glorious chances to put Spurs in front. His efforts were off target. In fact they were lazy.
    Davies bombed down the left but no one could turn his crosses in to goals. Schmeichel was more like a friendly ghost on Sunday. Today he was inspired. His quality saves only bettered by Lloris who had twice kept Spurs in the game.

Against Watford and in patches on Sunday, I felt Trippier did well. Walker tonight was back to his old self. Getting forward but a liability in defence. Only Lloris spared him in the second half.

Alli was superb again and him signing a new contract is great news for Poch and Spurs and our long term future.

Eriksen again cut a frustrated figure. Or do I mean frustrating? For such a talent, his distribution and dead balls are at times dreadful. Carrol has come in for undeserved stick in recent games and he again played well. I think Eriksen has, goal on Sunday aside, been worse than Carrol in recent games.

We had the lions share of possession but Leicester always get stronger in the second half. Just look at their results this season and that is clear to see.

We keep coming back to the whole striker saga. Well we need one. A quality one who can play instead of AND with Harry Kane.
    He says he is not tired. Sorry Harry but you are lying. Tonight he looked shattered. He was leggy and sluggish. I am not criticising Kane but he must have a rest and currently we have no one to replace him. Son can do a job but we need a striker. Fast.

Toward the end of the game, the ball came to Kane and a fully fired Kane would have scored. He passed the ball tamely to Schmeichel.

Next we welcome Sunderland to the Lane and they will put men behind the ball. 3 points by no means guaranteed.

It's a topsy-turvy season and things will no doubt change many times before May, but in reality I think we can now forget the title. It was there, it really was but tonight has made things too hard in my view.

What Spurs must do now is get transfer business done quickly and effectively. 3 points are a must now at the weekend. West Ham sit 1 point behind us and United just 2 points behind.
    Rather than looking up, we are now looking over our shoulder.

The top 4 this season is an absolute must. Anything less would be a failure at this stage. But I am still confident we will finish in that top 4.

I am also a Spurs fan of over 30 years so well know about false dawns and disappointment. This is season to end all of that so, as ever , COME ON YOU SPURS!

bruski, 71yid and Jonesy like this.
  2. Genevaspurs Guest

A Lively encounter but a sad result... Kane is tired. Lamela is in good form but he had to score one of the two chances in second half. What did Dyer to fall on Tigers goal? He has to Block the city biggest player but it's qui te difficult once down on the ground! An immature fault! Davies had a very good Game as Carroll had too. He is not well when defending but his pass quality is one of the better three in the team! Only our third defeat and we have to bounce back immediately! Come on Spurs !

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We are so 1 dimensional its painful.
    Eriksen & Carroll were both sh;t.
    Lamela has gone from pants to hard workingly average, 1 decent pass aside what does he actually do?
    Team selection was poor today and the substitutions as usual at strange times and hardly inspiring.
    For such an 'amazing season' as people are going on about weve drawn 9 games and sit a point ahead of Wet Sham (who must be having the greatest season in their history if ours is so good).
    We have no options and we are starting to very flat and leak cheap goals, i can see us throwing this top 4 chance through this and if that happens serious questions need to be asked of the powers that be.
    Again were cautiously dawdling in the window shall we shant we will we wont we BS!!!
    Were either serious about being a successful football club or were happy trundling along hoping/dreaming we might get it right some time some day in some galaxy far far a f#cking way.
    Seriously p;ssed off with the performance of the players but more pissed off with Pochs same tired tactic and ignorance to change to win a game.

bruski, Bazza47 and Jonesy like this.
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised.

On top again and fail to win. Not good enough lads. I was steamin when it was still 0-0 at 80mins... thinking not another draw. But to lose, incredibly dissapointing. Even Liverpool beat the Foxes at home! Just plain pathetic.

All of these dropped points are going to cost us... When will we learn to close games eh?

Kane is tired...

Well I'm tired of all the points being dropped; tired of the constant lack of activity in the transfer market; tired of playing catch up to the goons; tired of no Plan B; and tired of one recognised striker!

Eriksen - principal passenger.

Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  5. Chris #2 Guest

"Eriksen again cut a frustrated figure. Or do I mean frustrating? For such a talent, his distribution and dead balls are at times dreadful. Carrol has come in for undeserved stick in recent games and he again played well. I think Eriksen has, goal on Sunday aside, been worse than Carrol in recent games."

I dont agree - thought Eriksen played quite well, along with most of the team. Pretty good performance - we deserved at least a draw. Finishing wasn't great - Kane and Lamela both should have put one in. I guess then most comments would have been positive.

6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Stats wise all we hear is how much we run, how much possesion we have, weve got the youngest side, the only stat that matters is the 3 points.
    And here is a serious leveller to how great our season is/has been were 1 draw better than Wet Sham. Who have won the same amount of games as us .
    That is not good enough.

Bazza47 and Jonesy like this.
  7. Del Guest

I'm jst waiting for poches usual excuse ( we deserved to win) ! I know we're not gonna win every game but we will never get a better chance of nailing a top 4 place then This season but once again as soon as our destiny is in our own hands we throw it away! We seriously need something different upfront and some pace on the wings instead of cutting inside all the time and running into traffic! Apart from dembele coming on and onamah making a break through I really don't look at our bench and think ideal bring him on and he'll change the game and make a difference??? No plan b very disappointed wiv today, so poch re-sign Defoe before Saturday's game! Lol

bruski, Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  8. james coys Guest

We cannot depend solely on harry kane teams are wise to him now. They need to think about someone else attacking them. Need a goalscorer of proven ability. We missed a great opportunity.Lamela is industriuos but not in the Mahrez tricky league. We need Yarmllenko and Berahino to give offensive threat. Sell Fazio Townsend and Carroll to pay for it. They are all lightweight for a top 4 side. We are going to miss out if we dont act Lsvy!

bruski, Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  9. RhinoNeal Guest

Spurs never seem to learn by their mistakes. Once again some of the passing especially in their half was woeful. Once again Walker never let us down as we always get one dreadful mistake out of him...good going forward but woeful defending.
    I believe that we can't seem to learn by our mistakes and it starts at the top right where the buck stops...Levy.
    Once again here we are sitting we'll into the transfer window and what is he doing? Is he going to use his usual tactic by waiting until the last minute of the window. Is his usual stupid ego going to kick in and let him think he's in charge and control when it comes to making a bid, which no doubt will be well below what the other club wants? Does he really believe that clubs still fall for his methods and haven't learnt all about his ways by now? This guy is suppose to be clever yet when it comes to buying a striker his tactics are ridiculous. For a start if someone is asking £25 million pounds for their player do you really open talks with a £15 million bid a player who had very similar stats as Harry Kane. Levy would probably want £60 million for him. I'm of the opinion now, because Levy f***ks up all our striker deals, that he does it on purpose to get out of buying an expensive striker why else would he carry on in this way.

Felon82 likes this.
  10. Scooterboy New Member

Oh dear - not what the hype expected. The thing is Leicester were comfortable at the end and we looked tired and dishevelled. At the end of the day they were more effective than us and we failed to take our chances we we had the upper hand. HK looks knackered to me and once you put a couple of defenders close to him, he struggles. Son is not the answer - never was. IMHO this was a massive game for us and we choked.

Dace, Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  11. Spurs dominant but unable to capitalise .
    It's January so the rumour mill and the media's thirst for sensationalism are rampant.
    Spurs and Levy should not be bullied into a knee-jerk reaction.
    Poch is still the man with the plan. We can lament the injury to Clinton, but these things happen.
    I am a more optimistic Spurs fan than ever before, we are gradually getting better and lets not forget the age of our team.
    COYS !!!!!

12. burnt Guest

That was a proper kick in the town-halls but in the end all credit to them .. They delt with everything we had and took their chance when it came .. We huffed and puffed but just couldn't land that telling blow .. It happens but there's no doubt we do struggle against sides that sit back .. We have a long way to go yet and a lot to learn but I'm happy with the overall progress we've made this year .. At the end of the day we have no divine right to win any game , some days ye play sh1t and win , some days ye play well and loose ....

Personally I don't buy into this champs lg or disaster this season .. As long as we,re progressing and things look like they,re moving the right way I'm happy and to be fair its looking that way at the moment .. Now don't get me wrong , things change fast and it might look completely diff at the end of the year for whatever reasons but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it ... C.O.Y.S ......

bruski likes this.
  13. Team selection was wrong and must rest with the manager. Dembele should have played either behind Kane with Deli Alli coming form deep or vice versa. Tom Carroll is simply not good enough or physical enough for this level. We had two holding midfielders tonight which were not required as Leicester didn't come to play and neither of our two holding midfielders were capable of creating anything going forward.

Among all the stats, only five shots on target after 61% possession is poor, Harry Kane definitely looks tired and in most games now faces at least two defenders because with the exception of Deli Alli the opposition know they can basically ignore the likes of Carroll, Lamela and Eriksen etc.

Felon82 likes this.
  14. SameOldShite Guest

Once again, when we're just a game away from making a huge breakthrough closing the gap at the top and making us serious contenders for champions, we do exactly what we always do when the pressure's on...die a death!
    I am sick to death of putting so much hope and expecting so much from Spurs because it sends to be one false hope after another..year after year after year the same old sane old and I'm fecking sick of it!
    I really don't give two shites whether we have the youngest squad in the PL or whether we are in the middle of a project because the thing we us is we're always in the middle of a project..a project that at the end leads to feck all!
    I apologise if by rant I offend anyone but I really am sick and tired of the same old fecking end result season after season after season..!
    As hd been started here already we're meant to be having a great season so far but the reality is we've drawn as many as we've won..and we'd only won 9/21 and that's actually fecking shite.
    To see west ham just a point away from us and man u who have had a terrible season only a win away from overtaking us into 4th gives us all a reality check..
    Walker again as absolutely abysmal defending, Carroll is too lightweight and how he stayed pin for so long and kept Dembele on the bench I'll never understand. Kane is burnt out pure and simple and we need a world class striker NOW..his can a club hoping for the top 4 have one fecking striker in their entire squad is beyond comprehension!
    It's days like these that makes me mad.
    Mad because we lost.
    Mad because we through it away.
    Mad because it's always two steps forward one step back.
    Mad because I don't know what our will take see a season ahead of the scum.
    Mad because we have never ever been contenders for the title in the PL era until recently..and are fecking it up.
    Mad because we've not won the FA cup for 25 fecking years!
    Mad because after spending what about to 3/4 billion pounds in 10 years we're still only 1 pointahead of west ham!!!
    Aaaaaaaaaagh!

bruski, Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.
  15. Arpen Guest

I think we are all getting a bit carried away - Arse and Man U both shipped 3 goals and City look devoid of ideas. The league is becoming harder, but we are still in there, who would have thought only 7 points off top with almost half a season left! We have a young developing team and results like this are bound to happen , we lost to Newcastle and then won 3 on the bounce and drew with Everton so they proved they can bounce back from bad results and learn from them. Let's hope they regroup and go again. Striker though please yes.

Nomadico, Bazza47 and Mattj78 like this.
  16. travers sinanan New Member

This is yet anor disappointing performance when we have an opportunity to cement our position. This is a huge blow and questions our ability to finish top4 ; FORGET TITLE THAT IS GONE! Our players looked ordinary without any ideas Ericson is lacking ideas and cannot deliver a telling free kick if his life depended on it! He will be gone in the summer . Lamella fluffed two clear chances as for Kane he was leggy and lacklustre. LEVY IS CONTINUING TO SCREW THINGS UP WITH HIS CHEAP MISERLY TRANSFER PRACTICES!! Is Poncettino the man for the job? I am not sure hi does not seem to inspire look at Ranieri he has ideas . The team must pick itself up and win the bulk of their remaining games , score goals as difference will count, defend for 100 mins not just 90 and the coach must insist on buying an out an out striker ASAP SO HE CAN SETTLE INTO THE TEAM- what is to happen in the Europa Lge.? Is it going to be same ole same ole -AGAIN ! We need to act now and be positive and creative and SPEND NOW to save our season!

Bazza47 and Mattj78 like this.
  17. Dace Member

Was enjoying the game up to the goal.
    Thought it was entertaining.
    However....I thought Leicester executed their game plan perfectly. They looked very assured, like a team in the top four actually.
    We on the other hand, just huffed and puffed.
    The amount of shots and large amount of possession mean absolutely nothing if we are not scoring.
    An early goal, like Defoe's for Sunderland, may have opened up the game for us but in the Cup at 1-2 I thought Leicester wanted it more and we got lucky with a penalty. (Always a pen, just lucky that it came about)
    Kane is shot and defenses know how to play him.
    The idea, imo, of the three attackers behind Kane is that they are additional strikers when needed !
    This just is not what they are doing, Lamela industrious but clinical he is not. Eriksen, seems to be missing something. Alli, really like him but he is learning and perhaps burning out with the amount of games he is playing.

We are having a good season as in we are 4th but that is where it ends.
    Poch needs to change things up somehow, not sure how.
    Now he is saying he would play a new striker alongside Kane and at times played three strikers whilst at Southhampton, so is he also finally seeing that we are poor in our clinical finishing ?
    Other teams seem to be taking a punt on new strikers...why not us .

Sunderland on Saturday, now this is a real 'We need to WIN' game !

Real shame about this season, it is the most open for years and we are not taking advantage .. COYS

Felon82, Mattj78 and Bazza47 like this.
  18. guesty Guest

I've said it before....you don't win games with Carroll in the team. ...sell him before he has to play in another big game. .....if Dembele can walk he should start ahead of Carroll

In no way is my next comment any reflection on this player....because he's a good player and done really well this season......but to me Alderweireld was at fault for the goal last night....and also the 2 on Sunday.
    I'm sure he'll be looking at replays of the games and not be happy with his part
    ...on that note....I'll watch MoTD tonight and maybe see it differently!

Bazza47 likes this.
  19. johnnyhrvat Guest

The Eriksen / Lamela partnership has to go. Son and Chadli must be wondering how bad the pair have to be before they get their chance, and Onomah looks better than the two put together - why put him on in the 90th minute? The first four times Lamela got the ball in a promising position he drew a defender towards him before kicking the ball straight at him - he might be a vast improvement on last season but that should not guarantee him a starting place. Eriksen - well enough said! A spell warming the bench would do the pair no harm at all.
    I couldn't really say we played badly but we did play right into Leicester's hands - good luck to them and I hope they go on and win the league because we will not. I am sure that Big Sam will try exactly the same tactics against us on Saturday.

20. Big fran Guest

Let's be honest one great save apart schmiechel was a spectator and we all know where the problem lies don't we?? Leicester were the better side tonight and have been all season haven't they. They ARE a better side full stop.. Joint top of the league will tell you that so its wipe our chins and on to Sunderland.
    As strange as Poch's substitution's were ie making 2 sub's just to get alli into the no 10 roll was a waste of his first sub and an attacker in Son not coming on until 81mins his hands are tied due to lack of attacking depth. If you look back to the start of the summer window what are we some 7/8 months and still no striker brought in and that is the manager being left out to dry by the board/levy heading towards the third WK in the jam window!
    I'd have gone double sub on 65 mins son and dembele on for eriksen and Carroll(who impressed me again)
    IMO this squad is two players only away from a league title in a quality winger and CF. Of course we could do with a back up cm and a right sided centre half but I can't see that happening.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button