PLAYER RATINGS: Spurs 3-0 Aston Villa

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, May 11, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    To little, too late. 4 words that can sum up this game in relation to Tim Sherwood’s managerial tenure at the club.

3 goals, a clean-sheet – albeit for nothing you could argue, with the EL spot already in our grasp and Sherwood to be relieved of his duties in the coming weeks.

However, a win and a positive performance sends us fans home happy after what has been a dismal season to say the least.

Hugo Lloris – 6 – Very little to do. One save made all game. Will have enjoyed being less-involved in the action in comparison to recent weeks.

Kyle Naughton – 7 – Solid in his position today. Made 2 tackles and completed 2 successful dribbles. Rarely troubled by his opposite number, the pacey Agbonlahor.

Michael Dawson – 7 –Very comfortable at the back today. Didn’t have to make a single tackle, but won all of his aerial duels.

Vlad Chiriches – 8 – Huge improvement from his nightmare opening 45 against West Brom last month. Made 3 tackles and completed 91% of his passes.

Danny Rose – 7 – Like Naughton, untroubled by his opposite number. Had 2 successful dribbles, and made 3 tackles.

Gylfi Sigurdsson – 6 – Struggled playing on the right hand side, only having 49 touches. Didn’t make an impact as much going forward, but made 2 tackles during his appearance – highlighting his consistent work-rate.

Sandro – 7 – Calm and composed in the middle. Formed a solid partnership with his Brazilian teammate Paulinho. Only had to make 1 tackle, but took 2 shots – underlining his ability to drive forward from deep.

Paulinho – 8 – Only had 37 touches which was the lowest of any Spurs outfield player. Made 1 tackle and had 3 shots, one resulting in a goal after pouncing on the rebound from his original shot saved by Guzan.

Christian Eriksen – 8 – Tottenham’s brightest spark shone again today! Had 85 touches, the highest of any Spurs player. Made 2 tackles, had 1 successful dribble combined with a passing accuracy rate of 91%.

Emmanuel Adebayor – 7 – Only criticism is that he is caught offside far too many times for my liking. Still, is a real presence up-front and roams in order to receive the ball. Made 2 tackles and hit a peach of a penalty to make it 3-0.

Harry Kane – 6- Only had 37 touches, which was just over half as many made by his fellow strike-partner Manu. Had 3 shots and 1 successful dribble, a solid performance to round up a positive end to his season.

Subs

Milos Veljkovic – 6 –
    Got a good 30 minutes under his belt, playing as the anchor-man in midfield. Was keen to get on the ball making 39 touches and completing 83% of his passes.

Nabil Bentaleb – N/A – Little involvement to comment upon.

Alex Pritchard – N/A – Little involvement to comment upon, but was great to see the youngster make his debut.

3 goals and 3 points, 5th in the PL and 2 managers in one season – not the year that we were expecting in August no doubt.

As always, May comes along and we are forced to say – “let’s look forward to next season”, but until serious issues off the field are sorted, we remain unable to do so.

A good win to round off a mediocre season, let the summer fun begin!

2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

That's that then. Time for decisions to be made, and quickly. Tim to go, Baldini MUST go. Let's get a manager and give him control of the football from top to bottom. We must do this in my opinion to succeed. I don't think we should accept anything less than top four next season.

3. Jon Guest

It sums it up that Veljkovic was only on for the last 30 minutes and yet had more touches of the ball than Paulinho. Okay Paulinho scored a tap in goal, but he flatters to deceive. This was probably the most that Paulinho has touched the ball all season which says alot.

4. spurgatso Guest

I'm still puzzled as to what Sherwoods done wrong,other than he proved better than the Plonker from Portugal.Keep him Dan .Dont pay attention to the know nothing haters cos what they know is,Nothing COYSaT

5. Trigspur Guest

Not sure either spurgatso but looks like the writing may be on the wall. Came in and did a decent job and apart from the odd blip results weren't that bad either. Think the media like to fuel speculation as ever but unless he was specifically told to get us in top four if I was him I'd be pretty hacked off if after being given 18 month contract with the positive endorsement of the chairman ringing in his ears ( doubters please read official statement when tim was appointed!) he was given the boot. People claim not to like Sherwood because of either woolwich connections or because he's outspoken( for outspoken use the word honest!!)personally couldn't give two hoots about the red and white shite thing and his views are what I want to hear more managers say. Not the garbled nonsense that the **** at chelscum goes on about!! Even levy must have known he'd speak his mind. he's been there since 2008 after all! Que Serra Serra. Next few months should be quite interesting as ever. Tottenham till I die!!

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. Neil Guest

Sherwood looked out of his depth against the top clubs this season. Overall he did not do to badly but failed to get us where we wanted. A lot of the players have fallen out with him. I think he should be replaced by a proven manager.

7. big fran Guest

Yeah he did a decent job but is that what we are looking for a decent job with the money invested and the players at his disposal. ? Talk of not liking def MIDs and wingers funneling in come on guys where is the tactical nouse in that! Tbf today he picked one of his most balanced teams all season and had he used Sandro more and the team kept shape without the ball could possibly still be in with a shout. Results v top teams were shocking and score lines worst still.

8. stevethespur Active Member

Win today means european football for next season. Our talented big squad needed it or quite a few would have been surplus to requirements. Will require an exceptional manager to get us into the top four next season but liverpool have proved its possible break the champs lge monopoly. Good win today but had a few quid on 5-0 so was sorry we didnt go on against a poor villa side. Coys

9. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Sherwood has said we would have finished fourth if had been in charge all season. Yeah, right o.:p

10. MikeyD Guest

We needed 11 more points to finish 4th. Where does DimTim think those points would have come from? We dropped points in 8 matches under AVB 5 of them were teams we lost to a 2nd time under Sherwood. The guy's an idiot.

11. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

The second half was a bit of an anti-climax to a very eventful season, unfortunatly its one that needs to be put behind us and now we have to rebuild again. Tim has to go if this club wants to go foward, the team has been a shambles on and off the field and we will be lucky to keep our best senior players let alone attract new talent to the club with him in charge. I usually dont care what people have to say, everyones entitled blah blah, but have to say calling fans ' haters' is just *****ic. Cant wait for next season COYS

12. craigdick New Member

What did Sherwood do better than AVB, bring in Ade, wow what a move! His team selection was terrible and he lost to Man City 1-5 at home much the same as AVB, The too big losses by AVB we had 10 men. AVB better not given a full season, I sure he would have still got us into Eurpope as we did.

13. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Another positive from the game of course is we qualify for next seasons Europa !

14. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Arry 4th Modric and VDV sold Avb 5th Bale sold, Tim 6th theres a pattern developing here. Sell yer best replace with inferior and you go backwards thats the ambition of the club right there!

15. Ramos43 Guest

Perhaps, if Sherwood had realised the importance of having Sandro in the team earlier in the season, this years campaign would have taken a slightly different complexion over the last couple of weeks. Because what the Brazilian offers the team is COMPLETELY unrivalled from any other member in squad, and yesterday this was made abundantly clear in a performance that bristled with AUTHORITY, POWER and AGGRESSION. But it was the Brazilians passing range/ accuracy and vision, that largely go unnoticed/unappreciated by onlookers (including myself) that REALLY caught the eye, making Tim's continual assertions that Brazilian is a 'breaker-upper', and, simply a 'win it and give it' type of player seem NAIVE and IGNORANT!!!

The FACT that Tim also claimed he installed Sandro to prevent 'Villas threat on the counter' raises the question: Isn't EVERY team a counter-attacking threat in the English top-flight, given the tempo and intensity of the league?

Look, there are a whole host of questions you could ask regarding some of the decisions made by Tim during his tenure as Spurs boss. But one thing you could NEVER question was his PASSION for the club, or his DETERMINATION to succeed, and for those two things alone, Sherwood will ALWAYS have my respect.

I continue to think there is a potentially GREAT manager in there, too, and perhaps once Tim acquires a bit more experience within the game we will see him return to WHL to take up the reins once again....although I won't be holding my breath on that score.

On another note, it was nice to see Paulinho enjoy a DECENT game in the centre of the midfield, looking more like the player who often runs the game from the engine room, for Brazil. But the standout player for me was the guy who I have been suggesting Spurs sign for months, now, and that is Fabien Delph.

This kid was a joy to watch yesterday, playing in, and leading, a poor Villa side. If there is ONE player Spurs SHOULD target this summer as a PRIORITY PURCHASE it is DELPH, as this is a player that is going to go on to become the cornerstone of the England national team for years to come, at this rate.

He reminds me a lot of a SLIGHTLY more AGGRESSIVE/ENERGETIC version of our very own Dembele, and the prospect of seeing those two in a Spurs midfield, supported by Sandro holding is simply mouthwatering as far as midfield combos go.

So Levy/Baldini, PLEASE go and grab this absolute GEM of a player this summer and flog whoever from that CM position (bar Sandro and Dembele) in order to do so...Because if Spurs don't grab this young British talent, another EPL giant will!!!!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button