One player to drop after Arsenal draw

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, September 30, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    After a hard-earned point at the Emirates Saturday evening, in which we witnessed qualities lacking from a Spurs side in recent months, there was a particular issue that was made even more evident.

Despite the grit, determination and bravery displayed from the lads in the NLD, it was the glaring topic of our frontline that produced the only negative on the day.

Emmanuel Adebayor was on fire under Tim Sherwood, but Saturday he was managed and easily ushered out of the game by Arsenal’s so called ‘weak-link’ of a backline.

At one point during the match, Spurs legend Darren Anderton tweeted – “Adebayor just run at Mertesacker..” Simple as though this advice may sound, the tweet clearly reflected our striker’s shortcomings, in making use of all the qualities that he undoubtedly has in his locker.

Adebayor has started in every one of our opening six PL games, and despite scoring against QPR in a 4-0 win, in his other five games he has looked a shadow of the player that performed so well under Sherwood.

Manu’s personal struggle to adapt to Pochettino’s philosophy has been commented upon by another former Spur, this time Chris Perry. Interviewed by TalkSport, Perry said: "He doesn’t look particularly mobile and he struggles to play as a lone frontman and unfortunately that’s the way Mauricio Pochettino likes to play…I don’t think he has got the desire to close centre-backs down and run the channels.

Just as Pochettino selected Ryan Mason on Saturday, due to his game-changing appearance against Forest days earlier, the Argentine will now look towards either Kane or Soldado to freshen up our front line.

With the energy possessed by ‘the three behind’, Kane or Soldado will, successfully, offer a completely different aspect to our manager’s desired philosophy.

As Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela enforce the ‘Poch-press’, Kane or Soldado will be left to sit on the last man – alternating a pressing game on each centre half. Consequently, the striker’s movement is primarily one of a vertical nature. He will either drop in front of his man to hold up play, or run in-and-behind his man to get onto the end of an incoming delivery.

Taking this notion into account, Kane and Soldado’s individual game is primarily only suited to only one of these ‘vertical movements’.

Where Kane is better at dropping in front his man to hold up play using his strength and height, Robbie’s play thrives of balls ‘in-and-behind’ the defence, in which he can check his run and use his poachers-instinct to get a shot off on goal.

Kane or Soldado may not be as mobile as Adebayor, but both possess an element of bite. Kane holds a tireless work-rate, and Soldado a feisty, aggressive nature – both of which slowly grinds down an opposition defender’s game throughout the 90.

When questioned after the Arsenal game regarding selection policy, our Head Coach replied: "The name is nothing for me when I pick my team. We analyse every game and every performance and after that, we decide. For me, when I pick the best players for playing in each game, I always analyse their last performance.”

And with Adebayor in a state of stagnation, you can only expect either Kane or Soldado to be given a starting spot sooner rather than later.

2. davspurs Guest

The form of ADY is not one that concerns me but our style of play its no surprise since Lamela entered the team Ady has struggled. The reason i believe is twofold no wingers and Erickson's lack of form i put down to the fact he cant play with Lamela . They both like to dominate the game and when you have to ego's in the same team one will suffer Erickson being the one. What i would do is bring Lalmela on has sub for a few weeks. just to see if he is the reason Erickson form has dipped or its just him having a bad patch. Analyzing Lamela game apart form is assist for the goal he was wasteful running down blind alleys losing ball or passing to no one. I want him to show us the man we payed 30m for but not when he is not earning is place and upsetting the balance of the team. The only way i would play him is at home with a 352 system Lloris Kabs Fazio Vertonghan Lennon Erickson Lamela Capoue mason Townsend Ady. What was evident during Arsenal game we had no speed to get past Gibbs Sanches Chamberlin and Chambers it was a good job Lennon come on because he helped to stop constant threat down the left side. These players Ady Lennon Erickson Townsend have gone backwards under Potch who had trouble at Southampton with is hard training session i no is not needed with supplements drinks now allowed its just normal fitness is required.

3. Have you forgotten about lennon without doubt the worst spurs player off all time.

4. Spud Guest

Lennon can't cross the ball and Townsend shoots from 25 yards out how does that help any striker.

Felon82 likes this.
  5. Soldado needs to be given a run of 7 or 8 games consecutively and then we can properly judge him. We have nothing to lose with the way Ade's playing just now.

6. Weima Guest

Any striker could be in trouble, because the team can not get the ball to the box.
    (comment from finland)

stevethespur likes this.
  7. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We are totally toothless up front and have been for some time, Ade was the only player to reach double figures in the EPL last season at Spurs (shocking). Change of managers, effort, service etc doesnt excuse this Poor return from the whole team let alone the striker/s.
    The whole point of the formation we play at present is so the Lone striker has plenty of support from a buzzing 3 behind but as a unit none of them are working hard enough or coherently enough. Weve seen Ade blow hot and cold, we know Soldado isnt quick enough or strong enough to play this lone role which leaves us on form with Kane which as much as i like the kid he is not anywhere near top 4 standard. It is so blatantly obvious we need some money spent on a bulldozer of a forward thats big athletic hungry and can score goals but Levy has ducked the issue every window or Baldini has failed to deliver- both failing the club & fans in doing so.
    And back to the supporting 3 Townsend and Lennons assits/goals ratio is appalling, Eriksen, Lamela and Chadli are all of a better standard but their work rate and commitment to the cause is very questionable all 3 drift in and out of games with a whimper.
    When watching our 'attack' there is no service into dangerous areas regularly and there are not enough bodies in the dangerous areas to convert which are the 2 biggest and main issues.
    Top teams control the play and in the final 3 attack in numbers at pace its how regular goals are scored our current ambling around will not produce the Goals needed to do anything of any note.
    As good a result as the NLD was the gulf in quality of movement and possesion was clearly evident and just goes to show how backwards weve gone with regards to game plan, style, quality etc

Mattj78 and stevethespur like this.
  8. stevethespur Active Member

There is a big question over this squads goal scoring ability. In tough games we find it difficult to break down defences, and there many easy games in the EPL. Do wonder how much the malaria bouts hit Ades stamina. A big signing in january would be welcome, Wilfred Bony maybe. I myself would give Soldado a go at the moment because if he cant get in the first eleven now, when will he ? Coys.

9. oldgaz New Member

Wonder whether Chadli could be worth a run out as central striker......he is mobile,puts a shift in and at the moment scoring goals. I would try Dembele in Chadli's present position.

Josh Bolton likes this.
  10. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Ade has shown in the past that once he scores one goal, he is more than capable of going on a run of finding the back of the oppositions net.

I mean it isn't as if he hasn't been getting chances, but poor decision-making, bad fortune and a lack of ruthlessness has meant that he is yet to add to his only goal of the campaign, so far.

Again, do you know what will help with all of those things? A goal ( the better the goal, the bigger the impact on his overall confidence levels). It is as simple as that.

With that being said, I am NOT against the idea of seeing Soldado getting his opportunity to prove he can score goals regularly in England. If that is to be the case though, he will need the 3 players behind him to be imaginative, intelligent and incisive with their movement.

I have to say that their are other positions within the team that are worthy of equal, if not more scrutiny, with Christian Eriksen offering VERY little in the 'no10 role', from an attacking standpoint.

The Danes general influence, in the final third of games, has been minimal, and his set-piece delivery has been nothing short of embarrassing (for a player of his talent).

We can ALL say that Ade has to do better in front of goal, but there are those around him who MUST take responsibility for offering the big man, regular, service.

Felon82 likes this.
  11. Two strikers. Two strikers. Two strikers. Do I make myself clear. Managers can have preferred systems, but if they don't have the players who can execute then they better figure out how to successfully utilize what they have. Let Kane and soldato work in tandem for awhile. You can have the fancy buildup, but if the ball doesn't get to the back of the net it's all a waste. Build the offensive around goalscorers. Add Chadli or lamela up front and try a blooming 4-3-3, or -- heaven forbid-- a 4-2-4. Just for fun, you know.

notnats likes this.
  12. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Interesting point made about Ade's recent bout of malaria, who knows, he does seem to be lacking something vital at the mo, a lot of people accuse him of not trying, I don't think that is the case he is trying but seems to be too slow and too soft on the ball, he's had a few good opportunities that he should have put away but instead he's badly mistimed and wrong-footed the ball. For whatever reason, Ade's form is worryingly poor right now and I think he could do with a spell and give someone else an opportunity. Its a tough call between Soldado and Kane, Soldado is a very clever player who links up well and there have been signs of good interplay with players like Lamela, but on his own he just doesn't score the goals. For me, right now Harry is our form striker, as much as some people don't rate this kid no one can deny that he takes his chances well and most of his goals have been clinical not to mention some very clever assists as well so why not? I've heard it before and I think its fair to say that if we'd bought Harry for under 10m and his name was carlos or had a Fab in it, we'd all be salivating about this kid and be screaming to see him given his chance.

13. notnats

There are definitely games where we should be playing two strikers, how often do we see teams easily get behind the ball and cut off the supply to our lone striker. Game after game we see Ade drop way to deep to get anywhere near the ball. We need options, someone who can drag defenders and open up the backline, this is not happening we are not creating enough real opportunities with this system of 4-2-3-1, maybe its the way we play it, no speed or creativity in the middle, slow play and inverted wingers who have to slow the pace down even more to come inside to play in a lone striker. With this team and the players that we have would prefer a 4-3-3

14. Spurporter Well-Known Member

What game did you watch? We played with 2 strikers. Namely Chadli and Adebayor. We played 4-4-2 up until substitutions.
    We also need two teams to get through tough schedule. As a result we have no first XI, but two second teams. I do not think there is a better solution at this time.

15. Right. It's getting downright boring and frustrating to watch these fortress defense. They make the old Italian cattenaccio (sp?) an appealing alternative. So if that's what we're up against so often, we really need to see our guys move the ball around smartly and break down those walls with well-timed passes and runs. Oh, and utilizing those flanks and getting to the end line to pull the ball back across the goalmouth surely must eliminate a lot of potential offsides and turn a defense around. But what do I know? Except what I see and have experienced on and off the field.

16. I can't think of a more unlikely duo than Chadli and Ade. I'm liking what I'm seeing of Chadli thus far, but Ade's had maybe one good game, and they certainly didn't look as if they were playing together last weekend.

17. butler Guest

What is everyone surprised at we all new we needed a striker before the season started Kane is a championship striker adeybayor is gutless soldado needs a run of games . Remy.boney.Rossi. all these players were mentioned but levy as ever stalled so now we are reaping what we sown , but I do think Rodriguez will move to us in January .

18. notnats

If we played 4-4-2 then I must have been watching another game although with almost every player behind the ball for 90 minutes and giving them 70% of the ball who could tell ?

19. HoxtonBoy Guest

We look far better playing two up and we should play that way - at least at home.
    Townsend is no George Best but he was our best player in our last Europa game.
    Got to be worth a run out when Lamela is producing so little.

20. Lewis Guest

Go with Chadli, Kane, Bobby. All those three up front will press the opponents defence. Ade is lazy once he knows he'll always start. Erikksen needs to work on his fitness and needs to beef up if he wants a regular spot. His laziness seemed to go unnoticed against the scum, although the one time he did press we got a goal! Capoue should start as he will only get better and was shouting at everyone the other day which was good to see as we have no leader imo. With Poch's philosophy we should bleed some youngsters into the team who love to wear the shirt and will carry out Poch's instructions instead of walking about thinking of what next to spend their wages on! If Poch is to be given time that's the way foward. Mason himself has said he could've left but wanted so badly to play for Spurs. That's the kind of attitude we want.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button