Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

You'll all be excited to know that Simeoni is the new favourite for the job

Not Diego but Simeoni Inzaghi .....

2. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I don’t care where we were when Mourino was sacked all I know that the entertainment was zero

3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Dunno about you but I preferred beating Leeds 3-0 earlier in the season rather than losing 3-1 which could've been a lot worse

4. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Are you saying we would have won yesterday if Mourino was in charge Felon

5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Who knows but what we do know is we beat them 3-0 earlier in the season and this time we lost 3-1.

The players have stopped trying they're not giving it 100% and haven't been for a while, it's what happens when u empower the bad eggs (many who've been here too long)
    Should've stuck with the manager and backed him to get rid of a number of them in the summer and use his pedigree/connections to get some quality in. (Like Dias n Skriniar who he wanted)
    Matey Mason has come in and the players are happier because they know they can get away with their laziness unquestioned now and they're just gonna give less of a sh;t coz he has no authority and this is just padding time til end of season so the new guy appointed will still have to deal with the same bunch without time to asses and rebuild properly to go again next season.

The pretence though that Saints n Sheff Utd performance was a massive turn around was just embarrassing, hopefully it eases some peoples minds and helps them convince themselves they didn't have a pure credulous agenda against him.

And as I said the tunes will all change very soon as the reality dawns just how inept this squad is.

6. Genevaspurs Guest

So in conclusion, the problem does not come from the coach (only...) but clearly from the management of the board of the club. Levy and his team, must look at each other in a mirror and make the wise decision to leave their place. There needs to be change in the players but also at all levels of the club. By the way not the coach and the management of the club. Lewis, you must act now!

Felon82 likes this.
  7. Jesper Active Member

As is then I'd say that some players are looking less good due to not playing in their preferred position, other players are looking less good due to playing with players who are playing less good due to them being played out of preferred position.

A team of 11 Harry Kanes would have 11 world class players. It would also be the most expensive squad in the world and that squad would not win any trophies.
    If there was such a squad then the HK in goal could be sold and a GK be bought. Net profit and net improvement of team performance. Same could be done with all defenders. Sell a player playing out of position to get a player who is world class in that position.
    Son is world-class when he plays in his favourite position, when he is playing LWB he looks awful. Lo Celso was good before he came to Spurs. What changed?
    His playing position and who he is playing with. Play him in his favoured position with good players around him and he'll probably be good again.

The players are good but despite that the squad is bad. Some might blame the managers and coaches for not converting the AMs into DMs and CBs, other might blame the recruitment and say that the team is unbalanced. Sell some AMs, send back Bale and get in a top 4 quality DM and a top 4 quality CB instead. DMs are cheaper to buy that AMs and perform better in DM roles than AMs.

A well put together squad would be put together with a plan:
    One preferred formation with at least one player playing in his preferred position for every position in the team. If one position has to be filled by a player playing out of position then that player is likely to be performing badly and one player performing badly can affect the entire team negatively.
    I am not able to understand what plan Spurs had. Maybe they had one but as far as I can tell the plan was: Get good players without considering how or where they play and let the manager convert and change players as needed.

Three matches to play, one of which is againt a top 4 side. The people who claim that Spurs have a top 4 squad might convince me that Spurs have a top 4 squad if they could provide the formations and the line-ups for Spurs to be competitive in those matches. Anyone feel up to that challenge?

8. THFC Guest

4-4-1-1 | Lloris, Regy, Rodon, Toby, Tanganga, PeH, Ndombele, Son, Bale, Alli, Kane
    3-5-2 | Lloris, Rodon, Toby, Tanganga, PeH, Ndombele, Alli, Regy, Bale, Son, Kane

9. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Thisdevotion to a spent force amazes me Felon.Chelsea and unitedwould not wish him back at their clubs not just for the football boredom but the embarrassment he brings with his I am the greatest attitude.Time to move on and hope we get someone who can sort the wood from the trees and have the bottle to stand up to Levy.Wishful thinking I think but Pochetino and Mourino have moved on so should we and stop discussing their merits or not.I personally won’t care if their names are not mentioned on here again.The biggest criticism is the fact that Mason was shocked at the lack of fitness shown by the players which was also said by Solskar at united.Is this why we surrender so many times late in games

10. Jesper Active Member

Thanks for that.

My assessment of them:
    the 4411.
    Son on the left keeps him to far away from the opposition goal to be a goal-threat and his defending on the left, as a left midfielder is expected to defend, is often very poor.
    Alli gets to play in his favourite position. Bale likes to cut in from the right and Tanganga hasn't impressed me with is overlapping so for me a crowded center and not much crossing abilities to take advantage of the people centrally.

the 352
    Bale expected to cover all of the right side, both defending and attacking? Not sure he has the body or the will to do so. Alli hasn't impressed me as a CM, not good enough on defending and might not find space/opportunity for his running into the box to score. I only remember seeing Rodon play once in a back three and he was poor at it. Maybe he had an off day or maybe being in a CB pairing is not for him.

Good players but a few playing out of position might perform less well and therefore affect the team-performance negatively. So for me then neither of the the line-ups are top 4.

11. Pep Ghost Guest

First half Second half
    Man U 1 Spurs 6 Spurs 1 Man U 3
    Spurs 2 Man C 0 Man C 3 Spurs 0

Felon82, you are suffering from selective amnesia. Performances highlighted above are all under the same coach JM. SAME COACH, SAME PLAYERS.

Don't just highlight one match and ignore others.

Felon82 likes this.
  12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

There's no devotion it's just pointing out the ridiculous agenda driven BS on here.

Cried all season that it was all JM n not the players, that the squad was easily good enough for top 4, it was all the coaches fault, why isn't Rodon starting .... Blah blah

Now all of a sudden it's they're top 6 quality able to challenge for top 4 (which is exactly where they were), actually the the players aren't trying or good enough.....
    Blah blah

Complete hypocritical BS.

If you're now finally waking up to the fact we have a very poor team, with a poor attitude and you say it out loud, is this my time to say "why are you defending Mason? , They're all internationals, they should be top 4, the coachings not good enough, the footballs not good enough, losing to Leeds is unacceptable...."

Course itl now have nothing to do with Mason, just like none of the problems were caused by Pochettino, all manner of excuses will be wheeled out now.

Just keep it consistent and don't be hypocritical.

Mourinhos remit was to change the mentality of the club/players , those that were on board have been our top performers, those that weren't the genuinely bang average sulky losers weren't.

Quite clearly they're incapable of winning mentality n the fans have backed that continuing process.

We deserve to be losers too many soft mentalities in this team n fan base who just want to be happy and ignore being perrenial losers, accepting of absolute disgraceful effort, poor attitude to cups n trophies.

This club is rotten to it's core.

I want managers that want to win at all costs, I want players that want to win at all costs.
    I don't want pretenders and wage thieves in the club, proven achievers to me are welcome.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  13. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Sorry felon but you are obviously like me not sure who said what anymore as it’s become totally boring.I have never said we have top 6 squad because we have not.I think we have the worst back 4 in the league topped by the pretender Dier.But I also don’t think Mourino is this sinned against martyr you think he is.I do think if you buy a player you give him games to prove him self that’s why I mention Rodon and for no other reason.He may become just as bad as the rest but without games who knows.Maybe he is rubbish in training.I said I would not criticise Mason but when you see his team selection and subs it is hard not to.The whole mess has been going on now for 2 years and Levy was hanging everything on the super league and he has still not apologised to the supporters for his backstabbing.I see rumour has it that Mourino wants to buy Dier and he has said he does not want to go and Leve won’t sell which sums the whole mess up

14. THFC Guest

Sorry Jesper, I thought the question was pick a formation/starting 11 that is good enough to win the final 3 games and try to get us to top 4?

I agree with your sentiment and the points that you have raised in that the line ups have areas of weakness but for the purpose of the final games, I think they are good enough to win them. Just the removal of Dier and Aurier increases our chances IMO.

15. Jesper Active Member

I suppose it was a bit of both. The three matches coming up are a nice little sample:
    -a mid-table opponent
    -a relegated team
    -a team in the current top 4

I do not see Spurs having a team for getting 70+ points over a season and of the possible 9 points to play for then I'd say that Spurs have a reasonable chance to get 4-5. More than that would be good but a little unexpected. A team with top 4 quality squad might reasonably expect 5-7 points.

I'd tweak the proposed line-ups a little but I can't say that they are wrong/bad as they are, I can't say that the picked players are bad which leads me to believe that the problem is the composition of the squad.

16. Jesper Active Member

Anyway, for the upcoming matches then I'd like to see 352 formation, sadly I don't think it will be possible to have any line-up without having any disliked, possibly even hated, player in the line-up.

Plenty of good players but yet the squad is still not close to be good...
    I can't blame this manager, nor the previous nor the manager before that for the poor squad. One could do nothing, the other two managers both claim that they couldn't do what they wanted. Both got some players they wanted, however, it seems that for the big money players then they might not have had the deciding or possibly any say.
    No manager gets 100% of what they want but I suspect that at Spurs the influence the manager has/had is too low.

17. I see my delightful post from a few days ago has been removed

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2021
  18. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

19. Felon82 Well-Known Member

@THFC are you still gonna tell us what a remarkable job Tuchel is doing ?

20. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Well done leicester. Nice to see a club run properly get some joy.I believe Tieleman was on our radar but our tight chairman would notpaythe fee same as Fernandes.Just imagine those two instead of Ndombele and Sissoko.The Leicester scouting is extremely good where as we have Hitchen who could not spot a football talent if it fell over him

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button