Lukaku is Spurs' Plan A, but there is Plan B!!

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by George S, June 19, 2014.

Share This Page

1. George S

George S New Member

Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Chelsea forward Romelu Lukaku is well known however, it is reported that head coach Mauricio Pochettino is lining up Swansea’s Wilfried Bony as an alternative.

The Daily Mail believe Bony has appeared on Spurs radar as original target Lukaku has an offer from Atletico Madrid on the table.

Lots of options for Lukaku

The Belgian is expected to depart Stamford Bridge this summer for good and is not short of suitors with Premier League sides Everton and West Ham interested, whilst Roma and Wolfsburg have registered an interest as well in the youngster.

The attributes of Lukaku are similar to those of Bony and the Swansea forward is being seriously considered should Spurs not be able to get their original man.

£19 million price tag

The Welsh club have apparently placed an £19 million price tag on the Ivorian and Tottenham are ready to match that considering his proven ability to score goals in the Premier League.

Meanwhile, contrary to other reports Pochettino isn’t interested in offloading Emmanuel Adebayor as many reports suggested earlier today however the Mail do back up claims that Tottenham are willing to listen to offers for Roberto Soldado.

They do insist that our new head coach is keeping an open mind when it comes to letting or keeping Soldado and Adebayor. One more forward at least needs to be added to the squad.

Whether that is Lukaku or Bony remains unknown but there is no doubt either would be a welcome addition to White Hart Lane.

2. Patnevin Guest

If it was a fight between the three named english sides..Everton, Tottenham and West Ham, the latter wouldn't stand a chance. Yes he spent a season at West Brom but that was on loan and I couldn't see lukaku signing for a team more likely to go down than challenge the top 7 even. Bony worth £19 million? Good luck getting that price Swansea!! He's worth £10 million at best.

3. kieran eaton New Member

Why dont we sign Bony & Lukaku in a 4-1-2-1-2.

Gk Lloris

RB Walker CB Vertonghen CB Caulker LB Davies

CDM Dembele

LM Eriksen RM Lamela

CAM Ricardo Alvarez

ST Bony ST Lukaku

The signings of Caulker , Davies ,Ricardo Alvarez , Bony & Lukaku would all be Amazing just if. They are all affordable aswell.

4. scott Guest

There's only 1 person that's needs to count and that's you mate that's a 11 man squad think before you write things. Yes that is a good team but would prefer erikson and cam role or higher up he will only get better next year, my team would be

Lloris

Walker, vertonghen,caulker, shaw

Sandro

Lamela ,Paulinho, erikson,

Lukaku, bony

Or Dembele for paulinho

5. David Guest

Oh dear, so how come you only have 2 defenders? And isn't a team made of 11 players? I would also point out the bad grammar but this is about football after all!

Felon82 likes this.
  6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Lukaku & Bony both please, we have enough sh;t/surplus players to sell that can make up the cost!
    Both these players show a real hunger/desire to score goals and cause problems something our entire attack lacks massively!

notnats likes this.
  7. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Bony is an interesting prospect and an achievable target, he's had a good year at Swansea and has a lot of potential. That kind of pricetag doesn't surprise me for a player capable of netting 20+ he could be a very good punt if we dont sign Lukaku. Having both Lukaku and Bony would be nice.

8. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

If it was a straight pick between Bony or Lukaku, I would be more inclined to go for the latter based on the amount of experience he has playing at EPL level. But in truth, NEITHER man REALLY excites me. Not at the prices that are being reportedly quoted, anyway.

Personally, I would much rather rather see the club facilitate the sale of Ade, and carry out checks on the fitness/ well being of Chiristian Benteke, who I consider a better short/long-term prospect than both.

But away from the striker situation I believe a deep-lying playmaker is the MOST important position for Spurs to address if we're are to see the teams level of creativity, fluidity and overall productivity improve.

If Dembele was to get injured, or suffer a loss in form, I don't see a NATURAL replacement capable of CONSISTENTLY supplying the more attack-minded players within the team.

And despite the potential of a Carroll/Bentaleb I'm not convinced that either man is capable of supplementing the attack of a top 4 team on a REGULAR basis.

That is why I believe that bringing in a player in the mould of a Pjanic, Banega, Herrrera or the lesser known Pardo is IMPERATIVE, if Spurs are to truly test the resolve of the big boys in the league, and compete for honours on all fronts, over the course of the season.

You can see how a lack of creativity from deep has hampered/handicapped both Brazil, Spain and Englands WC hopes this summer. And Spurs suffered from the same type of issues last season, leading Sherwood to try to address the situation by playing both Sigurdsson and Chadli in deeper central midfield berths.

I'm crossing my fingers that Paulinho can muster up something approaching good form during the rest of Brazils WC campaign, in the hope it might drum up some interest in the midfielder, enabling Spurs to get their money back, and perhaps even make a profit.

Although it has been good to see the Brazilians invisible man routine is NOT exclusively reserved for the moments where he pulls on a Spurs shirt, I'm struggling to see how he would fit into Mauricio Pochettinos aggressive, high-tempo, pressing style, at the moment.

If the club could get £18m-24m for a player who has thus far flattered to deceive, Levy and co would have done great business, enabling Poch to spend the money on getting the type of midfielder Spurs don't really have at the moment... A Brain.

Like I have said before, having someone who can see a pass EARLY, dictate play, create opportunities from deep, and feed the attack in the areas of the pitch where they can do the most damage is invaluable, and if I were the new Head Coach at the club, I would make signing such a player a priority.

With the right kind of service, I would be more than happy to see Soldado start the campaign as Spurs' main striker.;)

On a side note, I'm ready for the EPL to start again. The WC is nice, but, for me, it just does not compare...

Last edited: June 22, 2014
  9. big fran Guest

Got to Remy first signing for me at a reported 8m buy out.. Then either lukaku or benteke but wouldn't be against keeping both ade n sol sticking around and rotating with Remy and ooccasions play with two up top at home v minnows that park the bus and cup games . Another option is to adopt the 3-5-2 system that hull n Liverpool have had success with and more recently Holland and Chile in the WC.. Its a system I use for my amateur team on a Saturday afternoon and its a great system if u can get it right. It gives you the extra man in mid without sacrificing a forward and you can get your bk line right up on the halfway line but need a strong 3 centre half's with a very intelligent player on each side of that 3.

Something like lloris kaboul/chiriches lovren Jv walker Townsend Sandro dembele eriksen Remy lukaku/soldado/benteke. Its a system utd will more than likely to use under van gaal and other teams will adopt in the EPL this coming season. Its neither attacking or defensive and gives great balance

10. Vittorio Guest

4-3-3 Lloris, Walker, Ben Davies, Chiriches, Vertonghen, Sandro, Dembele, Carroll, Lamela, Lukaku, Eriksen. This team can change in 4-2-3-1 with Eriksen and Lamela behind Lukaku, with Carroll or Dembele in same their line.
    Bony 19 mln?! Is it a joke? I don't see Chiriches in your squads, but Chiriches is elegant and the right man to start the action from behind. With him, in a weak season for our defense, we had some clean sheets only with Chiriches. Caulker doesn't have the right touch to play the ball. O'Shea good for the bench. On the left Shaw is too expensive. Pochettino can restore Lamela, but only put him on the offensive right side. Paulinho, Chadli and Soldado can go in order to have cash for two good strikers (I think Quagliarella from Juventus would be good and cheap). Keep Sigurdsson and Holtby, because they can help us.

11. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Neither Lukaku or Bony top what Soldado was back in Spain. I'd keep Soldado, he can work with Kane, unlike Adebayor who can work only with himself. I believe Kane has a potential to go up next season, needs to work more on volleying. I am okay with Bony as a Adebayor replacement, let alone Lukaku, but not at cost of Soldado.

We do need a brain in the middle, but many prominent clubs need the same. I am sure Levy and co are looking and will keep Eriksen despite attractive offers, but any addition of that sort would be welcome as well. This is off topic for the article, however.

Ramos43 likes this.
  12. Graeme Guest

Lloris

Walker Alderwiereld Vertonghen Blind

Capoue Dembele

Lamela Eriksen Lallana

Remy

13. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Wel soldadud and adebyor scored a combined 17 pl goals last season, Bony and Lukaku scored a combined 31 pl goals. I know who id rather have in attack!

Deggsy56 likes this.
  14. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Lukaku has proved that he can score goals at different clubs every year to me this shows a mature, intelligent young striker who will score goals wherever he goes, id happily sell Soldado to fund a move for Lukaku and, or Bony. Soldado is never going to be the striker he was in Spain in England and no manager is going to build a team around a player that needs his goals on a plate inside the box. he's never looked like scoring from outside. Better off cutting our losses and bringing in Lukaku

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button